Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Deathstroke is just too cheesy of a name to take seriously. Sounds like a villain of the week type of name.

One strength of the new show's take on him is that he seems like exactly the sort of guy who's call himself that and insist that everyone else does so as well.

Speaking of MAWS villains, am I alone in kind of rooting for Leslie/Livewire? For a career crook with a troublingly relaxed attitude towards collateral damage, she seems oddly likeable and sympathetic, especially considering the ghastly bunch she's run afoul of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, given how hard her new 'employers' are going 'yes, we are responsible for everything bad that happened to you and no, the nice alien lad who saved your life had nothing to do with us', there does seem like a path for her to turn antihero if she's lucky/smart enough.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

My only beef with the new Superman show is that I can’t find a streaming site to watch episode 2 as I do not have cable :argh:

Also the blue electricity eyes power up is a little weird but nbd

It's totally setting up a big hype/terrifying moment where the light turns red and he lasers something in half.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

VibrantPareidolia posted:

I'm really glad they went with a younger Slade with two functioning eyes cuz the other animated versions of him never really went into his backstory much. I wanna see this dude get divorced with extreme prejudice.

From his eyeball? Because most other forms of divorce imply marriage, and that seems like a big, big reach for this version of Slade.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/lberzins_voices/status/1677034622905987073?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Getting major Scorpia vibes from this take on Heat Wave.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say, nothing in MAWS so far has given me a more powerful sense of dread than seeing a trio of dumb young kids with big dreams calling their little found family 'Intergang'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think one advantage this version of Superman has is that his super-speed can make his transformations impossibly fast, and the world is sufficiently unfamiliar with his powerset that they don't know he can do that. He can almost be in two places at once.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I assume they're going heavy on the human tech villains to tie them all together for this first arc. Ivo, Cadmus, and street rogues like Intergang and Livewire all seem to be connected, even if it's not clear whether we're looking at a single harmonious operation or a corporate/state power struggle.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I remember the original run of Avengers: EMH being pretty fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do like how the MAWS version of Slade Wilson is so obviously, 100% the sort of guy who would call himself 'Deathstroke the Terminator' if he could get away with it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I would assume that a show like this bringing in Gotham City would mainly make the shy-but-pleasant corporate heir Bruce Wayne the character who our protagonists most frequently interact with, with some weird bat-themed ninja dude occasionally serving as a shadowy presence in the background.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Also good Superman this week, seems like so fair they’re painting the Kryptonians as the baddies in this series which makes me curious how they’re ultimately going to handle Brainiac.

Nice to see Lois’s dad isn’t a total rear end in a top hat and I hope he gets to interact with his daughter at some point

I'm assuming that they'll go with the STAS version of Brainiac who's an evil Kryptonian supercomputer that hijacked and destroyed their civilisation. He killed Clark's old family, and now he's coming for his new one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

I imagine a 2023 Gargoyles would just have Elisa and Bluestone as part of a group of clean cops fighting corruption in the department, and at some point they get the crooked chief and senior officers busted and there’s a running subplot about the department rebuilding trust with the community.

Boring and still propaganda, but I can see it happening. Maybe her brother is a “radical” activist and tries to get her to realize that the nypd are racist and she finally does after discovering the local precinct is involved in him getting turned into a cool flying panther guy.

I mean, consider who the main villain is. The fact that she's a cop makes it more likely that she'd be forced to rely on a bunch of ancient Scottish rock-monsters to make meaningful progress against one of New York's most powerful billionaires, not less. Her entire damned department is going to be on Xanatos's payroll - and if they're not, they'll be working for someone even worse.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Being the one good cop in the insanely horrible NYPD offers up a lot of classic Gargoyles-style plot hooks, though, like Xanatos expanding his power over the city by launching a public campaign against police corruption that she's reluctantly forced to go along with because he really is the lesser of two evils.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Sokka just straight-up finding the Kyoshi Warriors cool and inspiring from day one would also be a way to do part of his 'smart young man freeing himself from ingrained cultural expectations of manliness to become his own person' arc, especially if you want to compress the story rather than doing a strict episode-to-episode remake.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fishylungs posted:

I'm rewatching anime One Piece and I realized the Garp stuff is just the Water 7/Enies Lobby ending moved earlier. Like it doesn't really damage anything moving it other than Coby hasn't really started getting jacked.

Also didn't they say they aren't doing the war in Ba Sing Se? Like... ok season 2 is going to get weird then.

You've forgotten - there is no war in Ba Sing Se.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Cyberpunk Avatar? Cyberpunk Avatar.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Given that one of the main things in Korra was the spirit world merging with the mortal world, I figure a series set a couple of generations later would basically just be Shadowrun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Aces High posted:

Doesn't Zaheer's whole deal kinda disprove the need for spirituality? Motherfucker masters airbending and he don't need to visit the temples or stick to a vegetarian diet, or any of the other Buddhism-adjacent things the Nomads did

No, he was on an intensely spiritual philosophical journey. He just followed a different religion, which may or may not be a cute little reference to the intense debate between Buddhists and Taoists over who invented Baguazhang (the real-world martial art that airbending is based on).