Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
With Voltron, Seasons 3/4 were one season, and 5/6 are another.

(Technically, I think that seasons 1/2 were actually one season, and 3/4/5/6 are another. They were originally commissioned for -- I believe -- 78 episodes split into three seasons, so we've got a fair bit of show left to go.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So I checked out Miraculous today on a whim (.gif avatars really work). I watching through Netflix, and like, I've only seen the first episode there (Bubbler) and there's no context, no introduction to any of the unique qualities of the setting; it's painfully not the first episode of the show.

Online though, it says it is? So, uh, which is it? In what order should I be watching the episodes?

Also should I be watching in English or French?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Yeah, the Great Divide is probably the only Avatar/Korra episode that's completely skippable as it contributes nothing to the development of the plot or characters (even the recap episode later on just glosses over it quickly and moves on).

The recap episode skips most of the show.

And, ironically, watching The Great Divide is essential to getting the (very funny) joke about how disposable the episode is.

(I'd argue there are worse episodes anyway. Nightmares and Daydreams isn't great, for instance.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Like the look of the new Carmen Sandiago, but sad that she's probably not going to be stealing THE INTERNATIONAL DATE LINE any time soon.

Or K2.

Or "the dykes".

Or "all the goulash".

Carmen Sandiago stole a lot of weird poo poo, and she also stole my eight year old heart.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

I heard about this way back when, thought it died in development hell or something. That animation's pretty drat good and the remixed theme song is amazing!

But why is taking place in China? Getting some serious Avatar: TLA vibes from it too.

They're travelling to a different continent each season, keeping things fresh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Really? Which continents have they gone to?

Other than South America, in the original, the two new seasons have travelled around Asia and the Middle East.

So not technically a different continent, but very different parts of the world.

Edit: There's another season coming next year, I think.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

First episode of Owl House was neat. I like that Luz isn't stuck in the Boiling Isles but chose to stay of her own volition.

Surprised they went with the premise of "teen girl is sent to conversion therapy camp but doesn't and goes to Hell instead" except she's not (specifically) gay, just imaginative. Her mother's a really lovely person.

Good surprised, I mean. Good show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

There's a bit of a difference between being imaginative and a danger to yourself and others. The three inmates she helped weren't hurting anyone, but she was releasing spiders, snakes, and fireworks in school. Not going to fault a single mom for wanting her daughter to realize her actions are going to get her in trouble.

I dismissed that as cartoonish exaggeration. Metaphorically, you can see where I'm coming from.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Owl House is super gay, right? Only three episodes in, but it's clearly very gay.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
People, I meant gay as in, like, Steven Universe gay. As in adorable and wholesome. As in this show is about a girl who almost got sent to conversion camp so she'd have the difference erased out of her but she escaped to an alternate universe where she's accepted for who she wants to be. She also makes other girls blush.

Also, this is coincidental, but I reckon it's suggestive:

https://mobile.twitter.com/danaterrace/status/1032701004871950336?lang=en

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 4, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Talking about sympathetic villains is cool and all, but to bring this back to the character who started all this, I found Scarlemagne to be one of the nastier TV cartoon villains in a long while. He's got understandable motivations, but none of that translated to me as being sympathetic. I figured that much of the episode that told that explained his backstory was making that exact point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Owl House is super gay, right? Only three episodes in, but it's clearly very gay.

Beachcomber posted:

Not that I've noticed?

Ariza posted:

That's creepy. You're creepy.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I didn't see that at all. No clue what you are seeing there. Unless you mean gay as in sparkly and girlish, then kinda?

BioEnchanted posted:

On a less creepy note,

Okay, first, called it.
Second, called out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
How the hell edited this recap for Infinity Train Seasons 1 and 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADCagZ7o7s0

It's genuinely terrifying and implies completely the wrong thing about the earlier seasons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

She was in the Wan episodes, she should tell us!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Doesn't help that the fight choreography in LOK is so much worse than in ATLA, not to mention how bending in general feels weaker overall

Uhhh what.

Say what you will about Korra, but the fights are magnificent. Between it and Banshee, that was a good time for fight choreography on television.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Asgerd posted:

Not really. Watching both shows back to back, LoK very rarely deviates from basic kicks and punches But With Element, at least in the first season. It’s also kind of noticeable how earthbending in general went from giant rocks to tiny pebbles.

Nah. The animation is more fluid, better staged, and has a far stronger sense of force behind it. (ignoring the Pierrot episodes).

There's a different sense to the fighting, I agree, but that's part of the text of the show... the way the world is changing, moving towards mass industrialisation and atomisation, and the way this also means losing touch with spiritualism.

I get the sense people prefer the different way bending was portrayed in the original series, and that's cool, but Korra's set pieces are bigger and better shot, more regularly, than thenog series.

That said, I generally find Korra's plots to be more emotionally compelling than the original, so that may account for the preference too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Asgerd posted:

Also, it cannot be said enough times: pro bending loving suuuuucked. It was boring to watch, more or less irrelevant to the story, it ate up an inordinate amount of screen time, and it reduced something cool and mystical to a mundane commodity (and no, I really don’t care if that was totally their point if it consciously makes the setting less interesting).

Again, I'd argue that it makes the setting more interesting. I don't think Korra ever quite handled it well enough at times, but the quotidian nature of bending was, and I still think is, a compelling hook. It reminds me of the kind of work China Mieville put into his new weird Periditot Street Station. Finding a way to ground the bending in an ilk contemporary setting and materialist concerns.

Amon was, of course, an evil hypocritical fascist rather than a unionist. Which kind of makes his skulking around in warehouses a bit Ninja Turtles meets Neo Nazi, come to think of it. But there's good and interesting stuff in the first two seasons, particularly the Bolin Varrik stuff, and I appreciate that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I think part of it is that the lava chamber got completely caved in with presumably no way to access it anymore. Plus I think I saw one of the jerk glass aristocrats blink or move their hand or something after getting shattered and they're not dead

I'm not sure this is a good thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Unironically sounds like fun. I'm in.

Oh, CW?

I'm on the fence!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

I dropped off of Star vs. sometimes in season 3 but I still heard the rumblings of people disappointed with how it continued and how it ended.

It gets so bad. There's a lot of good jokes, but the overall story loses that weird, freaky dangerous edge the show had back in season 2. The way it could do an episode just about Ludo alone, that sort of slightly experimental energy? That's gone too.

The message is sweet, and little too sweet because the threat's been washed out, and the fjnale makes some mistakes, but it just feels like a bunch of low stakes stuff happening.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What do people think about the Trolls animated series on Netflix -- the one that Del Toro helped out with, and has all those spinoffs -- ?

I'm a bit picky, but I enjoy serialised cartoon adventure narratives: Infinity Train, latter Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Over The Garden Wall, Gravity Falls, Avatar (AND Korra), they're all basically classics.

(The Dragon Prince is a ???, Voltron and Kipo mucked up their last seasons, ditto for She-Ra but less bad -- to get a sense of what I don't like.)

Will I like this as much?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
You've been kidnapped by the therapy train. Warning: therapy train is broken.

Ministry of Pork posted:

That's a big leap but I mean I'm willing to shrug it off for the sake of a good story, still though.

Surely the idea that it's a Narnia situation is the (comparatively) bigger leap to make?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Though one bit of oddity from the article is that they apparently futzed around with Katara and Sokka’s ages, so now it’s:

Katara: 16
Sokka: 14

While Aang is still physically 12.

Zuko's 16 too, which explains Katara being aged up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I shudder at the thought of the Klasky-Csupo art style rendered in 3D.

https://twitter.com/paramountplus/status/1364718515626860552

Wonder if we'll get Avatar in this style too, given that they've gone there for Spongebob and Rugrats.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly I don't think it's possible to get CGI to be properly in the spirit of Klasky-Csupo, you just can't get that uncomfortable and wild.

I mean, what's the point then?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm guessing it's a codependency thing.

I wonder if they'll even leave the train. Maybe they stay, with the intention to have them featured as side characters in a (now nonexistent) future season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

thanks alot assbag posted:

Yeah, I'm bummed too. This season teased at some really cool Amelia/One-One stuff that I'd love to see more of, and that's just thinking about the show's lore. The show's writing team overall showed that they know how to make engaging character arcs, and letting them play out over the course of 10 episodes before moving on to new characters. I can't think of any other shows where they let a character's story finish completely before moving on to the next character to focus on. It's a cool idea overall, and it sucks that it has to die because it's not kid-friendly enough?

It's not super professional to get paid to make a kids show and then to deliver an episode where someone's face melts off.

I'm all about the art, man, but I can see their point here.

HBO Max should definitely pick the show up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Argue posted:

I hate how the creators of Avatar keep getting thrown under the bus here; Aaron Ehasz did not create Avatar; he was a writer on it. As far as we know the creators of Avatar are clean.

Yeah, Ehasz is a PoS who treats female employees like their his PAs and babysitters. Also he (is? was?) an executive for Riot Games, which has a culture of bullshit and any self-respecting person with a choice (and he's got a choice) shouldn't throw their lot in with.

DiMartino and the other guy are good people AFAIK.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think the fact that anime is willing to target an older demographic has a lot to do with it. In the early 2000s, western cartoons (non-comedy) that targeted anybody older than a tween were basically non-existent. (Western cartoons that target an older audience are still pretty rare even now.)

We're seeing a shift though, with more teen animation (Korra, Inifnity Train, Kipo) and the way descendants of the 90's AMV scene/ DC direct to video scene have birthed Castlevania, Harley Quinn, Blood of Zeus, etc.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

readingatwork posted:

It’s more that explosion of anime piracy in the 90’s expanded people’s ideas of what cartoons could be and created the desire for serialized cartoons that told more solid stories. However it wasn’t until the mid 00’s when millennials started taking the reigns on creative projects that you started to see those influences make it to TV with shows like Teen Titans, which I’d argue was the first show to put these influences into practice.

There were serialised cartoons before then - Wyrd Sisters, The Adventures Of Sam. Yeah, poo poo you're never heard of. Gargoyles too.

But I've never watched Teen Titans or Ben Ten. Do you wanna talk more about these anime influences, this is kinda cool to hear about these cartoons I've never really had much time for, but I'm interested in this.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s incredible. Satisfying in every way. I like how they keep adding tiny touches to leave parts of the world open beyond what we’re able to see, like Simon, Marceline, and Bubblegum not being in the deadworld despite the Bubblegum thing inside the castle, and Jake’s death and Finn’s life being huge open questions despite small hints.

We've seen what ends up happening to a few of those characters, haven't we? In one of the Grayble episodes.

That and this episode's vision of the Bubblegum Lich thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

That was a flashback all the way to the season 2 finale

Huh. I've not seen a lot of the early seasons. Cool.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think Season 4 was a brave move, but it's so unlikeable. The characters are mean and ragged with each other, the cars aren't fun challenges, everything is a bit more dangerous and random.

I get that's deliberate, and meant to be part of the show's commentary on One-One's reign. (Presumably it would have tied into Season 5's simultaneous Amelia story.) But it's just not got that charming adventure vibe.

It also feels a little sloppy at times, like the bit where the cat says they owe her one, but she never figures back into the plot. It's a big step down on the prior seasons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Covok posted:

It'd unfortunate we will not get the gay himbo He-Man I was expecting after Noelle's She-Ra.

That was never going to happen. Cartoons did their bit by occasionally grudgingly accepting same sex attracted women and now injustice is over.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

This is such a bizarre defence. It doesn't really satisfy those who don't want change, since it's asking those fans to re-examine the original show and their own prejudices. And it doesn't satisfy anyone who's remotely progressive, since it's arguing that the new show is about as progressive as it's ever been.

I mean, it's Kevin Smith tho, what you gonna expect.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

And that's the thing about the current breed of nerd-reactionaries: A lot of the entertainment of the era they lionize had progressive messages and elements that they'd scoff at if it cropped up in a newly released series, they just didn't pick up on these elements because they were dumb kids when they watched this stuff.

I think it's worse tbh. They've ossified. They can't cope with anything more challenging than what an 80's kids show threw at them.

So queer vibes are kind of okay, and women being exactly like in the 80's is ameliorating. Being more woke than the original show, aka, actually being woke*, is a bridge further and up with that they shall not put.

*I'm not dismissing the original show so much as saying that it doesn't fully satisfy the requirements for "wokeness" as defined by a contemporary context, any more than something like Blake's 7, Lexx, Farscape, etc. etc. could possibly be woke.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

The new She Ra is a good show

Ehhh. I didn't think it handled some of its character arcs that well. It's a good time though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

If the watermark didn't say "Netflix Family" I'd swear this was an adult cartoon. Tbh it looks pretty fun.

Everyone posted:

So a bit like if Guardians of the Galaxy 3 opens with the news that Gamora and Nebula are gently caress-buddies now? Like, nothing really wrong with it. It's not like they're even the same species, much less close blood relatives. Just more that after multiple movies talking about them as sisters it'd be kind of "Well, that took an unexpected turn..."

Nah, they're very obviously gay for each other from early in the show's first season, particularly Catra.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

That's from mid season one. I rest my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Flashbacks to "is Owl House gay" intensifying.