Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Illmade posted:

Unless you are a literal child with zero income you have absolutely no excuse not to pay for the media you consume. Nobody, including artists, works for free and they deserve to be compensated for their work. Just pay the $15 you cheap weirdos.

I would be super into the thought of paying for a movie ticket for Coyote vs. Acme, but I can't. Official Owl House merch is nonexistent except for some Hot Topic t-shirts. Infinity Train doesn't exist anymore, so I have no way to pay for it anywhere and if I want to watch the whole series literally my only option is piracy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Simulation883 posted:

Really appreciate all the ATLA talk and predictions. The idea of a moon-landing race is interesting to me. What really strikes me is it feels so mutually exclusive to both land on the Moon and have there be a Moon Spirit. Like, the Spirits represent the mysteries of nature, and to uncover them makes the spirits feel obsolete. I'm not explaining it too well but hope my main idea gets through.

I feel like they kind of put themselves in a corner there by trying to have powerful spirits both be fundamental metaphysical cornerstones of the world (see: killing the moon spirit who's just hanging around means all waterbending stops working and the moon vanishes) and also at the same time just be kaiju or something (see: everything about Vaatu).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Fusions are literary metaphors that can also punch people in the face.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Also people can't help but get weird about them because a few of them are romantic relationships (maybe, like, 3), so they misrepresent so many of them as implicitly sexual.

Well, and there's that joke with Pearl covering Steven's eyes the first time we see Garnet and Amethyst fuse, which is funny in the moment but not great for establishing the more casual tone they take with the implications of fusion after that.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

It's also partially because society thinks romantic relationships are always sexual when you can have romantic asexual relationships. Steven and Connie are in the beginnings of a romantic relationship, but they are 10 and 12, they are NOT loving.

13 and 12; remember that Steven is a weird little arrested development gremlin at the start who still looks 8-something, and nobody's noticed because all his caretakers are borderline negligent about basic human development.

Edit: He suddenly jumps to having proportions way more fitting his actual age in Future, but because SU animation throughout the series is so wildly inconsistent that they never could have made visible aging work in the first place, I don't know if that's supposed to mean his physical aging started up again after "Steven's Birthday" and he caught up to his actual age, or if he had a weird growth spurt offscreen as part of dealing with Diamond Authority stuff and it stuck that time.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 6, 2024