Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That probably applies to a significant majority of shows with talking animal leads tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TwoPair posted:

(the only one I can think of is attempting to fire it at the ground to fly but I think that's not really possible given how firebending is shown in Avatar)

Ozai definitely did this. Probably Azula too. Which I guess isn't very helpful wrt not becoming a supervillain. :v:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Bizarre out of nowhere sexist take aside, surely they remember what happened last time Cartoon Network tried to break into the live action space, right?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'm sure there's a lot of poo poo in Danny Phantom that's aged poorly, but the one thing that sticks out to me enough that I still remember it now is its disrespect for Sam's veganism. It seemed like every time it came up, they were either ratcheting it up to absurd levels and/or framing her position as unreasonable. I distinctly remember an episode where she's eating a "sandwich" that looked like someone literally cut out a square of someone's lawn and dropped it on a piece of bread. And it's unfortunate, because if they had just let her be a character who happens to be vegan, that would have legitimately been really cool.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's the result of so much TV these days being in the hands of only a few companies.

This is also relevant because much of the way that animation makes its revenue is through merch sales. However, nowadays a lot of IPs just never get merch, because all of the consolidation in the industry means that companies are competing against themselves for shelf space, and they're not willing to take the risk on anything that's not a guaranteed seller from a juggernaut IP. It's the reason that it's basically impossible to find merch for anything Disney outside of Marvel, Star Wars, and Princesses.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Isn't the entire premise of the tax write-off them officially declaring "this property has zero value"?

Writing off a show/movie for taxes isn't going to affect the rights to the characters involved. The Batgirl movie entering the public domain wouldn't prevent WBD from making a different Batgirl movie at some point in the future, for the same reason that Disney is still going to keep using Mickey Mouse in things even after the timer runs out on Steamboat Willie.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

See also: basically any of her interactions with Jeremy, even after they're officially together.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Golden Bee posted:

This season‘s arc of Olivia Rodrigo on high school musical the musical the series what is “I think I’d prefer to be famous musician Olivia Rodrigo to being on the show“. Not even subtly, explicitly this was her plot line

I sometimes half pay attention while my sister watches but don't know any of the actors' names, is she the one with two moms who had that isolated B plot in the first two episodes before disappearing entirely?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The show itself never really spells this out, but iirc the idea is that the odds of any given individual being a bender are tied to how to connected they are to the spirits, and the Air Nomads, as an incredibly spiritual society, did in fact manage a 100% bending rate.

Korra sort of bears this out in the sense that having spirits just, like, out and about in the world apparently leads to people spontaneously developing airbending.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Mazerunner posted:

1) the group actually created the wall, but then continued dancing, which is wrong by the standards of the show and even the movie and of logic. the rock was entirely the foreground guy

I suspect it's probably supposed to be this, and the reason the order of operations is nonsensical is that if you show them dancing first and then pan to the wall, you lose the dramatic tension of it appearing just in time. The obvious solution, of course, is for the group to be holding a stance to keep the wall up instead of actively moving around.

E: lol just watched the clip again and the wall has already collapsed by the time the shot pans over, so that's another thing you'd have to change.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 5, 2023

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Maybe it was just the age I was at the time, but I always thought Flapjack and Chowder were complete garbage, or at least appealing to a very specific sense of humor that did not land with me at all.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Big shoutout to OG Lion King too apparently. I never realized it had done so much better than all the other Disney renaissance movies.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 1, 2023

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TBF I'm not as surprised about Little Mermaid in particular doing relatively small numbers, since it was the very first movie of the renaissance era and likely had an uphill battle to prove itself with audiences.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 1, 2023

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ccs posted:

I wish the style was a bit more anime because it would fit the tone and make the action pop a bit (the crew can move the characters well, but if they were a bit more realistically designed it would look cooler.)

I assure you, this will not be a problem as you keep going. The animation goes hard when it needs to.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'll admit, I was doing the Leo pointing meme in my head when June and Nyla flashed by for a second.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Yeah, the northern water tribe stuff is important enough that it should probably stay, but calling "Sokka gets over his sexism" an arc feels extremely generous. The only time it ever gets remotely focused on is at Kyoshi. His story from Tales Of Ba Sing Se very easily could have veered in that direction, but he's a good sport the whole time for that imo. There is the occasional moment of casual sexism from him besides, but it doesn't really serve much purpose and I think they're basically correct that it would hit different in live action. Personally I wouldn't shed a tear if a lot of it got dropped.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

None of what you're saying is wrong, I guess the distinction for me is that the arc isn't the sexism, the arc is the feelings of inadequacy and needing to grow up too fast. Basically, everything else informs the sexism, not the other way around. How important it is as a component of the arc is up to individual interpretation, I suppose. For me the answer is ultimately "not very," but for instance, i've never viewed him babysitting the kids at the start through that lens the way you did, and that's a totally valid reading!

For the record, I'm in full agreement that the depiction = endorsement fallacy sucks, and it sucks if that's the primary motivation for the change.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

mystes posted:

Is this literally the first Disney+ original show that that isn't based on an existing Disney IP aside from movies that went directly to Disney+ during covid?

I guess they must have at least had some live action kids shows that I just can't think of off the top of my head.

I can think of a few, but only because you specified Disney IP. Benedict Society (before it got memory holed) and Percy Jackson are both book adaptations.

There's also a bunch of nonfiction stuff, if you want to count that.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TBH I've always parsed Steven's shirt as more red than pink anyway. Though I can totally believe that even "light red" is a bridge too far for idiotic merch/ad execs.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

"hints the use of commas"

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Getting strong Bolin/Opal descendant vibes from this, assuming it's an actual design and not just a placeholder.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

a neat cape posted:

I think if Korra had been greenlit for all four seasons at the beginning, the writing would probably be better.

God season 2 was stupid aside from Varrick

It would've improved season 1 for sure.

I'm not convinced there's any saving season 2.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The sad part is that on its own, "What happens if the Avatar fucks up and cuts themself off from the reincarnation cycle" actually sounds really interesting, and I'd totally be on board. The problem is that its tied up in all the Rava + Vatu bullshit, which is just profoundly stupid.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

...I feel like you're being extremely generous with the "masked" part of that for everyone except Zuko. I'll maybe grant you Painted Lady for Katara, but Blind Bandit certainly doesn't wear a mask, and neither does WANG FIRE, HERO OF THE FIRE NATION. :colbert: And I'm not sure what you'd even be talking about for Aang, besides Kuzon I guess.

Unless there's stuff I'm somehow completely forgetting, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

There was definitely a point during the Wan episodes where I was convinced there would be a reveal that the Avatar is actually hosting both Raava and Vaatu, based mainly on smashing their names together and shuffling the letters. Either that, or reintegrating them would end up being the resolution to the plot of the season.