Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Larryb posted:

Seriously though, is something like that going on? And if so, how effective has it been so far?

:ssh:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031066

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah when shows started to disappear from streaming people assumed it must be some kind of tax write off but it's been suspected that it's been about avoiding residual paychecks all along (nobody is watching if it's literally not possible to watch!).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah wtf why are we doing this orientalism in 2023. There are dumb toy commercial kids anime and mature art films and things that don't fit any mold, would you accept Steven Universe and Sausage Party as the same genre since they're both American. Does something like the CGI Lupin III movie not count as anime because it doesn't look stereotypical. Come on.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I propose making Calarts a genre.

e. "Inspired by Spiderverse" can be another.

mycot fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 12, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
As far as I can tell the only stereotypically anime thing about Gargolyes is having a semi-serialized plot at a time when almost no American childrens cartoons did.

Dawgstar posted:

You know I'm still not sure what defines CalArts other than "I don't like this cartoon, especially aimed at children?"

I have, like, half a theory that buzzwords like Calarts and Tumblr Style are a reflexive lashing out at art styles perceived to be associated with women and minorities, but it has not congealed yet.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

koolkal posted:

Er, are you asking why the show where the female characters transform while dancing on stripper poles and taking off their underwear is aimed at older boys/men compared to the show that... doesn't do all that is aimed at young girls?

Yeah is everything that has a female main character with powers (even if one is basically a sex comedy and the other is a kids action show) being lumped as the same genre somehow LESS gender essentialist? :psyduck:

Like even if you were trying to remove gendered classifications entirely Sailor Moon should still be next to something like Kamen Rider and not freaking Panty and Stocking.

e. I don't really want to hammer on this subject or make you out to be a horrible sexist, but it's a bad example

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 13, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The weird thing about Ash the 30 year old 10 year old is that I think the franchise dropped the "all starting pokemon trainers are 10 years old" thing early on. The newer pokemon stuff even has more of a "anyone can be a consumer pokemon trainer" theme.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Das Boo posted:

There's still some of that. I keep seeing people react violently to what is obviously the start of a growing moment for a character.

I said this in the BSS cartoon thread but this made the week by week My Adventures with Superman conversation excruciating

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Open Source Idiom posted:

I agree with most of that, but this is nonsense.

People find issue with this but it's describing a specific sort of person who thinks of themself as a meek underdog nice guy but is really just as egotistical and self-centered as everybody else. If you think that describes all shy people that's on you.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Good news is that shy people have one way they can distinguish themselves from Woody Allen

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
They should really have just aged up everyone by like, 3-4 years if they're committed to this. A 14 year old military commander is something you can just roll with in a cartoon or anime, it looks ridiculous in a live action series that takes itself as seriously as this seems.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
But Azula isn't portrayed like, a King Joffrey Baratheon type who is obviously a puppet who can't actually lead or fight. She's intended to be a threatening villain who is taken seriously by the audience. Sure, fire powers are a good equalizer but it's just one of those things that becomes more unbelievable when taken out of the medium.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm predispositioned to be the biggest hater of the LA show but I've never seen any source for the actor's ethnicity other than a Reddit post and who counts as Native is a :can: for a lot of reasons.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I think the only time Water Tribe sexism shows up is that episode (which is the kind of Moral of the Week episode where a character spontaneously grows a flaw for them to get over it in the same episode) and the waterbending guy at the end of the first season who beefs with Katara because otherwise she would have no plot. Like I'm not saying it's problematic but removing that element barely affects anything.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
As long as it's animated content I'll take it, sure fine, but all of these ATLA projects have release dates years and years from now so they might as well not exist to me.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

FacelessVoid posted:

Please just let this IP die. We don't need an earth nation Avatar with an iPhone or whatever is coming next.
Same. Magic fading away from the world or getting obsoleted by technology are both so rote at this point it's for the best that the setting never reaches anything completely modern.

Basically I agree with this

TwoPair posted:

And personally I think that'd be a bummer. It's like telling a Superman story in a world where everyone has powers (or tech that mimics it), an interesting thought experiment but not something that could be dragged out for long.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 25, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I remembering buying episodes of Rise of the TMNT off ITunes Media to try to watch the show legally since the only alternative was buying cable TV for Nickelodeon :shepface: Do they even bother releasing individual episodes piecemeal anymore?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah I haven't watched the new show but daddy issues was already a part of Sokka and Azula's (and Katara's!) characters in the original. There are a lot of daddy issues in Avatar. Like maybe they hammered it in to fill time or something but that struck as a weird complaint.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Spooky lore horror like Digital Circus is already heavily kids oriented, if we're being honest.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I feel like that tweet gets made every few months and makes like 30000+ likes every time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The ending of the sports tournament with Amon wrecking things is an all time moment though.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Korra Season Two is in this terrible middle ground of being too stupid to be for adults and too boring to be for children. Things just happen and characters do things for no reason. It's awful. And a shame too, because you can tell it was not a no effort production and was a really ambitious swing at more mature cartoons that aren't just comedies, but it's not good.

I actually do think being confirmed for renewal from the beginning would have helped it a lot, because you can tell it's the start of Korra having to be a gently caress up all the time to competitively balance her for mastering the Avatar in Season One.

mycot fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 9, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't know why everybody's pitches for a new Avatar writes out bending. Bending and it being a common mundane part of the setting is a huge part of what made the show appealing and unique, bending becoming some kind of Xmen or Harry Potter secret talent would blow.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 9, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Rand Brittain posted:

I presume it's because when you think of a "modern" version of the Avatar setting, the most common thing that comes to people's minds is "in the modern era, most people are horrifyingly divorced from the natural world."

But it doesn't have to be in a fantasy setting already divorced from Earth history? Like you could just write a world where your Uber Eats order is late because the delivery boy airbended into a sky bison.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Argue posted:

In my mind, bending in the future doesn't become more rare, but it does become highly specialized, like maybe in the far flung future it gets as specific as like... siliconbenders manufacturing computer chips, copperbender electricians, etc, and the whole distinction between the four elements becomes fuzzier and fuzzier as people start intermixing more and more, to the point that their fundamental abilities to manipulate earth/fire/wind/water aren't as developed.

This is just Mistborn.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
This conversation did remind me of possibly the most forgotten aspect of ATLA, the super advanced transforming steampunk tanks.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I think everyone knows what they're signing up for when they give money to someone's onlyfans and it's not happy birthday messages.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
We only have one wacky hybrid animal with the platypus, it's bullshit.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Tbf chi is already real in the original series (and it's kinda taken for granted in any series based on martial arts)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The ice memory stuff in Frozen 2 is legit bizarre (like most of that movie) but it felt more like the writers struggling with how to solve that situation with only ice powers. Kinda like how Magneto could eventually just brainwash people through animal magnetism.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The funniest thing is backporting the Fusion=Sex interpretation to Dragonball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Killer robot posted:

I know what the article actually says but seeing the URL up there now I want to see Dave Bautista play Aang.

Just put the arrow tattoo on him.