Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I was looking for a general TMNT thread to talk about Rise of the TMNT in, but the one I found was so old the last thing they were talking about was pre-release info for the second Bay movie so I figured some place like this would be my best bet.

Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is great. The comedy is funny, it has some of my favorite incarnations of the characters (the most fun April, the most relatably autistic Donnie, an incredibly sweet and lovely Raph, a hilarious Leo, and also maybe the most poignant Splinter?), the action is crazy in the best possible way, and the movie is a great capstone. It's a shame that S2 got cut in half. I'm looking forward to Mutant Mayhem and will hold nothing against it, but it makes me so mad that people apparently hated on Rise when it first started just because '12 (which I do like quite a bit even if it has flaws) had ended so soon and it was such a radical shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I saw some people saying that it was too "Teen Titans Go-y" in terms of being wacky and comedic which is just so wrong on so many levels.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah I think that was part of it too. I actually didn't mind it, because Raph being this kind and sweet protective older brother type was a nice change of pace.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I still find it vaguely amusing that 2 voice actors from 12 essentially swapped places when they were put in Rise (Eric Bauza went from voicing Tigerclaw, a villain, to being Splinter, while Hoon Lee, who voiced Splinter, became the new Shredder voice).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I recall Third Eye Blind and Billy Ray Cyrus having done so (and Simple Plan for the What's New show) but no other groups/artists come to mind

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I was going to say that I enjoyed The Mysterious Benedict Society series on D+, as a fan of the original books. I don't really mind the changes made, and I like the vaguely Wes Anderson-y visual retro 60s/70s style they're going for with everything.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Man am I glad that I just kinda forgot about it despite liking the first two seasons. I got out early before the crash happened, thank goodness.

Side note, I'm rewatching Trollhunters after a few years and it's holding up really well. Protagonists are still charming, animation is good, jokes land but menace is there whenever villainous things happen.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I can broadly see your point, but I feel like, setting aside the actual quality of Netflix Voltron's writing, there isn't anything wrong in focusing on characters and storytelling over selling new toys and gimmicks.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

This is a false dichotomy. When you are writing a story with a giant robot, even if that giant robot is merchandise, the giant robot should say something about the world and the people that interact with it. When Kamen Rider gets a new toy, that new toy is more interesting when it's connected with Kamen Rider's emotional growth trauma, or accomplishments, or foreshadows or reflects something about the setting and themes. In Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, the Barbatos is rebuilt over time in ways that increasingly reflect Mikazuki's body and mind and those new designs shape the action sequences in parallel to Mikazuki's development.

In VLD, the individual lions and weapons start this way early on and do fairly well at it, Shiro in particular, but this completely falls off halfway through the show and the mech fights and action becomes totally perfunctory because character success and failure is not coupled to growth or change in any way.

You know what, that's a fair point. My foul, you're right. I really should know as someone who himself is (attempting) to write a kid's show pilot with a Digimon-meets-Kamen-Rider bent where powering up is based on connecting with your monster buddy and making breakthroughs about your emotional state/ideals.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It honestly's starting to sound like no version of Voltron ever has had a good ending, or been good at all.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Witcher was novels first, video games second, tv show third.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm suprised I haven't heard more "woke SJW!!!!!" stuff about that new Transformers show, Earthspark, because it's main characters are black/Filipino and there's a NB Transformer called Nightshade

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Go look on TFW2005, there’s a bunch of people showing their whole rear end over it.

I had suspicions, I'm just saying that I hadn't seen anyone whining yet-which honestly probably says more about how casual a Transformers fan I am than anything else.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So this Youtuber I like called Keyan Carlile has started doing retrospectives on Disney sitcoms, and they've been really good so far. His first one was on Lab Rats, then he did one on Mighty Med, then the crossover series between the two, Lab Rats: Elite Force, and he just dropped the first part of one on Wizards of Waverly Place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0K0TXslm_g

Here's the original Lab Rats vid.

He's a good mix of in-depth but also humorous, and he's also got some other videos on stuff like Transformers, Milo Murphy's Law, Gravity Falls, etc. The retrospectives are def long, sometimes upwards of three hours, but I'd say it's worth a watch if you're curious about how they hold up (or... not, in the case of Elite Force).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd say Megas XLR but that's more of a comedy

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
CGI Nick stuff "not working out"? 2012 TMNT, which was CGI, got 5 seasons and tons of support and toys.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I remember Libby going from green dress and long straight hair to pink shirt and dreads during an episode based in a pyramid, at the very minimum.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
But the effects were decent.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I was quoting Ember Island Players.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
My favorite bit is the kid who tells Zuko his scar is on the wrong side.

Or maybe Play Azula distracting Play Zuko with "What's that? I think it's your honor!"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Urgh, crusty old fans who don't like changes are the worst. Some TMNT fans were annoyed that I liked Rise's portrayal of Donnie as autistic, saying it was unnecessary or annoying.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Funnily enough when I think of a "clearly meant as autistic" character type my mind immediately jumps to the glasses-wearing, hyper-analytical, "I've calculated your every move in advance" type. But that's more of an anime thing.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Shame. Back when there wasn't much to go on I was kinda rooting for this and now it just looks sad and lame.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Isn't a Darkwing Duck reboot coming via Seth Rogen or something

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah, like (and I swear I'm not trying to seem addicted to Rise), Rise Donnie's written as canonically autistic but even putting aside that he's always been the team smart guy you can see spectrum-like qualities in 03 and 12's versions, it's really just an extrapolation of his existing traits-ditto ADHD Mikey.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Are we sure the South Park guys didn't write this

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just started watching Earthspark and I did not know I needed Scottish Megatron until I got it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You can very clearly see the I Love Lucy DNA in the Flintstones via the "two married families as the main focus" bit, though obviously Fred/Wilma/Barney/Betty isn't one-to-one with Lucy/Ricky/Ethel/...Fred

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know what fair, I know less about Honeymooners than ILL, to be fair.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Admittely I am a person who is looking back on the 90s from a distance but like, while I can see plenty of things that are early signs of things of the 00s, or late lagging things from the 80s, like...

okay this isn't a kid's show but, Nirvana and the greater grunge scene absolutely killed off a ton of 80s music trends. Hair metal was not going to fly when ennui was in.

Admittely, on the other hand, you can make a pretty clear chain of kids media trends between Transformers dominating the mid 80s, TMNT taking over the late 80s through early 90s, and then Power Rangers and Pokemon dominating the rest of the 90s. Those things have more in common with each other than they do have differences, I feel.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think part of is that two of the big 90s kids franchises, Power Rangers and Pokemon's anime, came out in ways that made them easy to just... keep going. PR did it's own thing for a bit, but eventually around Lost Galaxy/Lightspeed Rescue they fully adopted the Sentai method of a new show once a year with a new cast and new villains and a new plot, which lets it basically run forever as long as the Sentai they adapt hold up-and while PR might not have ever had a peak as high as the Mighty Morphin' era ever again they've been holding strong pretty consistently even when the shows themselves aren't great. Pokemon anime have also been running on and on and on in a similar fashion.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
i feel like you could draw a line between 9/11 and all the kid's spy stuff that came out in the mid 2000s (Spy Kids, Kim Possible, Secret Agent Cody Banks, Aaron Stone, etc.)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I need to see that show, my mom and I loved Gina Rodriguez in Jane The Virgin and while obviously that show and this one will have very different tones and stories she is a very good actress nonetheless.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The new TMNT movie (done in a Spiderverse-esque animation style) had a brief teaser dropped, with a trailer on Monday:

https://twitter.com/lNKYPAGES/status/1632192155572744192?s=20

And we have a full cast list:

https://twitter.com/TMNTMovie/status/1632191570303930368?s=20

Leo: Nicolas Cantu
Mikey: Shamon Brown Jr.
Donnie: Micah Abbey
Raph: Brady Noon
Splinter: Jackie Chan
April: Ayo Edebiri
Superfly: Ice Cube
Bebop: Seth Rogen
Rocksteady: John Cena
Mondo Gecko: Paul Rudd
Wingnut: Natasia Demetrou
Leatherhead: Rose Byrne
Ray Fillet: Post Malone
Genghis Frog: Hannibal Buress
Cynthia Utrom: Maya Rudolph
Baxter Stockman: Giancarlo Esposito

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I remember hearing that there was plans to continue from this movie into a new TV series, so they might be saving Shredder (possibly Casey as well) for the show version.

Has Post Malone ever done any major acting that wasn't him playing himself as a cameo?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It was just an idle question is all. I fully admit he's probably going to be an also-ran.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
For me what has me curious is Superfly being separate from Baxter Stockman-for those not in the know, Superfly is usually Baxter's mutant name when he gets turned into a fly mutant. Either it's a simple "different VA for the transformed form" kind of deal, or those two are separate characters now.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I know Nicolas Cantu was Gumball on Amazing World of Gumball, one of these other guys was in that Mighty Ducks reboot/new show on D+, but not much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well, someone kicked open a door in my brain to something I had honestly kinda forgotten:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFGr7V7VT2I