Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Das Boo posted:

It bugged me that I genuinely couldn't tell whether Velma was in sincere support of or ironically poking fun at Velma's toxicity. If nothing else, it was a failure of tonal consistency.

I get the feeling the appropriate term might be 'insincere self-depreciation'. I've mostly used it for Woody Allen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

I dunno what you people are talking about. Teenage girls are the most terrifying people on the planet.

Yeah, and Azula in particular is basically a mix of go-getter preppy queen bee and if a Heathers alpha bitch had built in flamethrowers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I don't know, I actually kinda buy that it was a mistake, because WBD has barely if ever actually backtracked on any of their numerous other stupid moves after they pissed people off.

Might be connected to un-writing off the Wile E Coyote movie, I think they might have full on intended to dumpster Looney Tunes entirely but got rattled by realising people actually do remember and care about them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

I found the Redwall show enjoyable when I was younger. Was pretty dark for a kids show given the high amounts of death.

Are you sure you're not remembering The Animals of Farthing Wood?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I love the bit in Batman vs TMNT where Raphael just comes out and lays out The Same Arc Raphael Has In Every TMNT Thing and tells Batman to get over himself and accept the help.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

That’s an adaptation of a classic Superman story by Alan Moore: “For the Man Who Has Everything”

Also apparently the only adaptation of Alan Moore's work that he approves of.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Between shows that get cut short and shows that go on forever there's definitely no shame in wrapping something up definitively. Not something we get very often.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shows also continue to take months to be available on legal channels outside the US, if they ever are. For literal billions of people piracy is literally the only way they'll get to watch them while they're still being made.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doesn't help that the peoples in Avatar are from cultures that deliberately mix up a lot of cultural signifiers; the Southern Water Tribe are very Inuit inspired but also use Great Plains weapons, and iirc their boats resemble Viking longboats. (Of course, quite a good idea for heavily amphibious warfare) The Fire Nation has lots of Imperial Japan but also touches of Thailand, China, and geography that resembles Iceland, and the Earth Kingdom is wildly diverse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Regalingualius posted:

The Great Divide, except the villagers figure out right away that Aang is bullshitting them… but decide to just roll with it anyways.

That shoulda been canon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Avatar kinda has it both says as being a very culturally diverse setting, some cultures seem to implicitly or explicitly have more egaliatarian societies than others. Like the whole thing with Katara literally has her run into sexism in the Northern Water Tribe she never encountered as blatantly in the Southern.

I imagine it's probably just part of smoothing out Sokka's characterisation overall to be more consistent, as early on in the show he was a lot more of a meathead before they figured out he's a lot funnier and more interesting as the smart guy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, though only by a few years, I think. Kinda the point is Sokka is overcompensating for a number of understandable reasons, being left in a rear guard in a tribe in truly desperate straits, trying to survive a slow genocide by a massively superior foe.

It's probably not too hard to adapt the Kyoshi Warriors arc, especially if they're more smoothing out Sokka's sexism arc than outright removing it. The Kyoshi Warriors aren't just warrior women, they're specifically very weird warriors with their identical makeup and elaborate costumes, and nothing like what Sokka has seen in his probably fairly straightforward idea of what war and being a warrior looks like. And a big part of his main character change is learning to use his brains, not just for strategies and logistics, but for psychological warfare, misdirection, improvisation and thinking outside the box.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's just a pastiche. While east asian influences are obviously the strongest, and the setting purposefully veers away from most European influences (that most fantasy gets really dominated by), the creators didn't really set any hard rules for themselves. The Earth Kingdom has chinese, korean, and even arab influences at times. The water tribe veers most notably to cajuns for the lost swamp tribe, but also the Northern Water Tribe has a little of Venice, and Legend of Korra's reconstructed Southern Water Tribe even gave me some Japanese vibes. One of Sokka's trademark weapons is Australian for some reason.

Alternately, you could argue that there are a lot of connections between the Inuit and Asia, since they settled both sides of the Bering Sea. Easy to do, seafaring people and an easy chain of islands to follow. There's also a people in northern Japan who are very similar to the Inuit, but there's not really any known relation between the Ainu and the Inuit/Aleut/Yupik peoples.

And like I said, while I'm pretty sure it's mostly just convergent design, there's occasional Viking vibes from the Southern Water Tribe warriors, mostly in the longboats, which make a lot of sense for coastal raiding, and the Fire Nation's geography is apparently based on Iceland. And then there's the nomads that are basically hippies, even giving their newborn child a hippie af name. Quite a few elements are mixes of Eastern and Western themes and motifs, with Zuko having an episode that's basically a Western showdown (of course, the cross pollination between those and samurai movies is well known) and the Avatar's deal somewhat resembling a superhero more than anything, even coming out of the ice like Captain America. (And Zuko even has his own masked alter ego)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Money for Nothing guys cameo in Reboot at one point and get made fun of.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Junpei posted:

Someone I know pointed out that it's harder to suspend your disbelief that a teenager could be making military decisions when they're in live action than in animation and I'm inclined to agree

Funny part is that teenagers doing that is probably not unrealistic at all especially in the loosely medieval or even bronze age time periods the show is more or less set in. Hell, it's a whole thing in the Age of Sail.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

YggiDee posted:

I figure that's kind of the point, Azula shouldn't be some kind of political leader, she should be in grade 9 (freshmen?) math

Yeah, Azula always struck me as being a bit babyfaced even in animation. Her friends are basically a manic pixie athlete and a goth, and The Beach shows them acting more like a teen girl squad (guest starring Zuko) than a bunch of titled nobility that they are. The whole family is also shown to have youthful good looks, especially in their cleaned up formal outfits, and after all the build up Ozai being revealed as a pretty boy was quite the swerve when people expected a more conventional kind of villain with a sinister, intimidating appearance.

And her meltdown in the end also makes a lot of sense for someone who's living a mix of high school queen bitch and Joffrey-but-competent; she has literally no concept of how a healthy relationship works, and once her friends betray her despite the leverage she has over them, she suddenly has no reason to believe anyone would remain loyal to her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Illmade posted:

So Aang straight up murders a ton of fire nation soldiers in the new show, shoving them off a castle wall during the prison break and throwing them into the freezing ocean as well as exploding one of their ships.

That's been pretty much subtext from the start, Avatar always did the DCAU thing of violence with plausible deniability because they don't outright confirm death, but from a grown up perspective you know that people do die in those battles.

Of course, the thing is that Aang may be able to accept that he can only pull his punches so much, and people are gonna die in battles, but actively setting out with the goal of killing someone is another thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

Even if some of the parts of The Beach were too on-the-nose, it still gave us the best Azula line:
"My own mother thought I was a monster. :( ..........She was right, of course. But it still hurt. :colbert:"

I still say so much about Azula's characterisation makes sense considering that she's looking up to Ozai as a role model- but he's a sociopath, and she isn't. She does have a self-critical attitude, and she genuinely enjoys the company of other people for its own sake, but her cruelty is a lot more performative and usually goal-oriented than Ozai lashing out at anything that gets in his way, and she can, sometimes, see other people's points of view- that's what makes her so good at manipulation. But eventually the contradictions ending up tearing her apart from the inside, and she's already done the work to defeat herself before the final confrontation even begins.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

Somebody mentioned in the graphic novels that Azula isn't quite going for redemption but is becoming more Chaotic Neutral the further she gets away from her dad's influence and it's enjoyable to read.

Now that's a scary yet entertaining thought.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda what happens when all the live action remakes are fundamentally based on the idea that animation is embarassing and kiddie and has to be serious and adult while the people making actual cartoons aren't ashamed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'd watch more Garp stuff.

Hell, I'd watch a movie about the world according to him

Garp is pretty much implied to be the previous protagonist of One Piece (as much as that's a very crowded field) in a manner similar to Joseph Joestar. (Might be a deliberate resemblance there, heh)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, the problem is when a character is written with the idea of having certain traits but doesn't actually display whose traits enough to be convincing to the audience who doesn't just take it for granted. Star Trek TNG had that problem a lot, not just with Worf. (Was even an active effort in DS9 to let Worf actually kick some rear end)

The result ends up jarring to an audience with an actual memory, too busy subverting the supposed status quo to actually establish said status quo in the first place, and it robs the show of a lot of impact as a result. One of the major problems with the Star Wars sequels, for example.

In short, it's why they have the rule 'Show, don't tell'. And why James Bond and Batman have cold openings with usually unrelated villains getting their asses kicked.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 10, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neeksy posted:

I'm not sure the world of Avatar is constructed solidly enough to make a lot of the before and after of the main story make much sense in terms of general human development and sciences, especially when you add superpowers that only some individuals have access to for reasons that are really unclear, despite spirituality supposedly being an aspect but it's also a "you're just born with it or not" thing.

Yeah, while not as bad as some settings a lot about Avatar's worldbuilding works okay as presented but really doesn't lend itself to in-depth exploration or trying to apply major analysis to it.

That said, if you do... one thing I do like about the setting is that while Bending styles seem to be associated with certain cultures, civilizations and/or geographical locations, they have plenty of diversity within them. Water Tribes specifically exist at both poles with major cultural differences, the Fire Nation even despite being nominally a monocultured empire has Ember Island and the Sun Warriors, the Air Nomads had four different temples implying some quite different lifestyles, and the Earth Kingdoms are openly the most diverse of the four to the point of even less nominally having a central authority at all.

Could go the opposite way around, turns out going into space supercharges Bending and they colonise different planets. Maybe I just have too fond memories of War Planets/Shadow Raiders.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Covok posted:

Not necessarily. Hello Future Me had a pretty good video on it, but, basically, we kind of underestimate Avatar's tech level because we mainly follow the non-industrialized nations during Avatar. The Fire Nation underwent the Industrial Revolution somewhere around 50 years before the 100 year war. By the time we see the 1920s tech level in Korra, it is 210 years later, roughly, as Korra occurs 70s years after the end of the 100 year war. The Fire Nation clearly exported their science and technology under Zuko, thus leading to the other nations catching up. We also focus on Republic City which is a new city that didn't have the clutter of the old to hold it back.

The thing is, the industrial revolution happened in 1760 to 1820. It actually took the world of Avatar 50 years LONGER to reach an equivalent of our 1920 era of technology.

The drill, of course, throws a ramrod right into that, though.

There's a strong implication that the Avatar world's technology development is strongly affected by bending, since it's basically a form of magic that a decent minority of the population has access to with known and quantifiable traits, and themselves being techniques and styles that can be taught and analysed, and lets them skip some steps by our standards and have reliable bending-powered devices, enjoying the utility of them before they eventually develop a substitute for the bending, and probably learning all kinds of new things along the way.

Funny thing is that means it probably took so long to develop the hot-air balloon because without any living Airbenders to work with, the inventor has a skip a step in his world's version of the scientific method and work mostly from first principles, and whatever he could glean second-hand from Airbender artifacts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean they literally have an entire episode about a spirit of a river that people live on, who is suppressed by a factory polluting that river, straight out of Captain Planet. Kind of a big deal with Avatar is that the spirit world is extremely close to the physical world, and part of the magical world that people live in along with how a significant fraction of the population has superpowers. The Avatar is a tangible, material fact of the world they live in. I think they can work that in with humans landing on the moon with a little creativity. Particularly considering a number of episodes revolve around how the scientific method and rationalist views are not at all invalid, and in fact can be guided and work alongside the spiritualism of the setting; it's setting out to understand and appreciate the world in front of them, after all.

Heh, even the Legendary Godzilla movies kinda lean into Kaiju being both materialist elements as keystone species of a wild ecosystem and spiritually significant, with themes of how humanity needs to understand its place as part of a wider universe, one that includes Godzilla and King Kong.

Random note: Realising that every member of Team Avatar has a masked alter-ego.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 24, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely this. The setting doesn't just use "chi" as a generic term for spiritual energy, it does the whole pressure point and energy flow through body meridians thing. Apart from chi blockers and that bit in the finale, it shows up in the practice dummy with the Northern Water Tribe healing in season 1 of the original series.

I mean, yeah, it feeds real-world pseudoscience but it's always been in the setting.

It's pretty much like witchcraft and magic in plenty of other stuff being like real-life mysticism, superstition and woo. The whole point is that it draws from existing stuff, and some people believe it. At least it's got some consistent worldbuilding with it.

Kinda funny when they incorporate realistic elements, like when redirecting lightning, it's super important not to let it pass through the heart, as that'll kill you dead. Man, Bitter Work might be my favourite episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's also a running theme of how Steven's fusions seem to represent his view of the person he's fusing with. Connie he sees as impressively mature, graceful and relatively normal, Greg as a cool rock star, Amethyst as a fun-loving goofy big sister, and so on. A big theme with fusions in general is that they are very allegorical, representing all kinds of things depending on context.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

It establishes that he looks as old as he feels. That's why when he hits 16 it starts matching up, because he's not being babied anymore so he just feels how old he is and his body responds by aging at the normal rate, at least that's how I understood it.

Yeah, he literally has a whole episode where he gains the ability to change his age, and it goes out of control and is played for horror. It's also pretty consistent with Gems, who don't really have childhoods and are 'born' acting like adults, but have a measure of control over their appearance that usually reflects their self-perception.

Funky Valentine posted:

I refuse to believe that the writers intended Steven to be 14 from the start.

It's not that hard. He's got some arrested physical and mental development, sure, but he's a small town home schooled kid raised by fairly immature caregivers himself (including his actual dad) and that also gives him the flexibility to be more like a child or a teenager depending on the episode- whether he's relating to kids, teenagers or adults, or aliens who are neither and all of them at once- especially since the whole show is about him growing up. And on the other hand, his relationship with Connie has those overtones of Connie getting to actually be a kid that her overbearing parents hadn't really let her be, while Steven admires her relative maturity and actually learns a thing or two about it.

People get weird over Steven Universe especially by taking things wildly out of context and extremely literally. It very quickly gets to the point of people clearly inventing a show in their heads to get mad about.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

GotG3 too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PhazonLink posted:

lol at my serious grown up npr station talking about the Bluey moving episode today, or videogames sometimes.

put that kiddy trash back in their age appropriate media ghettos

The age appropriate media for grown ups is far worse, especially npr

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mixed up my Ivos and Lex being Dr Robotnik's lab assistant just works. Pretty sure that's just Snively actually.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Terminator's in so much stuff even the kids probably have an idea. But yeah, it's just the same old pop culture cycle, like Looney Tunes having references and impressions of celebrities who are now in turn forgotten.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think the show was just a very basic message of "You can't solve interpersonal problems by getting whatever you want"

I still love the bit where Timmy is warned that a genie's wishes, unlike a fairy's, not having any rules means the genie can twist them however he wants to bite him in the butt, and responds that the fairy's wishes always manage to bite him in the butt anyway.

I think there's some good bits but it gets loving buried under a lot of chaff, and I think it was always wildly uneven at the best of times.

Danny Phantom on the other hand seems like it was ahead of its time but didn't really get to reach its full potential. I suppose they were mostly ripping off Spider-man, but so did Batman Beyond and that worked great. Also surprised they never got around to a Ghostbusters crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I believe the French are like dogs and just kind of do things arbitrarily.