Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton

General Washington posted:

And now we'll try to remember the names of old cartoons that elude us.

There was one show on Cartoon Network in the mid 90s, I'd say 95 to be exact, and it was about little bears with some kinda powers. If memory serves right, there was some kind of totem pole that would turn into a monster to help them fight the bad guy-bears and whatnot every episode.

Anyone know what I'm referring to?

Paw Paw Bears. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjkkMtMJxc4

Hanna-Barbera's answer to Ewoks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton
I think it's okay to not like a show's designs. Phineas and Ferb's designs really turn me off. But then, I loved Ed Edd & Eddy's designs and most people hate those. It's all taste.

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton
The new Scooby Doo has some really confusing and disturbing characterizations but it's a HUGE guilty pleasure for me. It feels like the writers analyzed the hell out of the original Scooby formula and are trying to squeeze as much out of it as they can.

IRQ posted:

and the animation is loving horrible for 2010. Even flash cartoons do better.

I take issue with this. the animation's not incredible but it's REALLY ambitious. I was impressed with Scooby and Shaggy running away from the Man-Crab on a crumbling wooden bridge. I thought "oh poo poo that thing is gonna kill them!" which isn'tt something I've ever thought about a Scooby Doo cartoon. Which I think is a success.

IanJ fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 18, 2010

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton

TwoPair posted:

Basically, what I'm saying is it's a drat shame that Symbionic Titan looks to be getting shitcanned while this gets on the air.

It's not like these shows were created in some awful binary where the creation of Problem Solverz meant that Sym-Bionic Titan's crew had to all die in a fire

I think it's great that CN had the balls to give Paperrad a show for kids on their network. Even if PS isn't a success it shows the risks that theyre willing to take to find the next great thing. Imagine that, stodgy tv executives willing to take risks... it's almost unheard of. But everywhere I go I see people making GBS threads on it.

I get that you don't like it but still it's weird how people complain about shows all being the same/mediocre but when something comes along to challenge the samey-ness on TV people reserve all of their bile for it because it looks weird

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton

raditts posted:

I don't believe the people who added Hole in the Wall and other lovely kids' gameshows that Nickelodeon would've turned down in the 90s to the CN lineup are acting in the interests of creativity or "taking risks."

There's a pretty big difference between the people overseeing original animated content(like Adventure Time), the people creating the live-action shows(Like Tower Prep), and the people who acquire shows to fill in programming holes(Like Johnny Test). The original animated content coming out of CN continues to be some of the best cartoons on TV imho.

I concede that some of those productions are more gutsy than others, but it still astounds me that something as unusual as CN's current primetime lineup is on TV nowadays. CN took a risk with its programming and it's paying off. I'm not saying you have to enjoy Problem Solverz, my only point was that its cool that they had the balls to make it.

Also what I've seen of it is pretty funny and the teaser on Youtube isn't really the best example of the show's writing anyway.

Amorphous Blob posted:

I'm as happy that CN is adding a new actual cartoon to the lineup as everyone else, but I'd rather have more episodes of Chowder and Flapjack then the CN execs taking "risks".

Well we'd all like more Chowder and Flapjack but the crews of those shows have moved on by now. Their spirit lives on!

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton
Did anyone see the "Neon Knome" pilot for Adult Swim? I thought that was great, too.

IanJ fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 24, 2011

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton

Monday(Tomorrow!) at 8:30 on Cartoon Network there'll be a special sneak preview of the new show "Secret Mountain Fort Awesome"! (full disclosure, I worked on other episodes of this)

The show is gross and really weird and a lot of fun. A lot of the dudes who used to make "Chowder" and "Billy and Mandy" are making this show. The writing is kind of a throwback to the "anything for a joke" feel of 90's cartoons and the artwork is badass. Basically it's just a big dumb fun cartoon.

A little background, Pete Browngardt created the pilot "Uncle Grandpa" for cartoon network a few years back. Around the same time as the "Regular show" pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LvIG7MDSys

"Secret Mountain Fort Awesome" is based around the lives of 5 of the monsters that came out of the toilet in this short.

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Hee! DOS-RAM.

"But I only know how to be a victim!"

I really hope we'll be seeing more of Uncle Grandpa himself, because that was incredible.

drat I really wish I could give future episode spoilers! SMFA pretty much takes place in the same "universe" as Uncle Grandpa, though. You won't see him in this preview episode but the sense of humor is intact.

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton

mobo85 posted:

"creator-driven series where the creator is a young CalArts graduate" variety ... Rebecca Sugar

Actually she didn't go to CalArts. I dunno how that misinformation gets out there.

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton
I see "toy sales" thrown around a lot by cartoon fans as a reason for corporate decisions but it's not a universal metric for a show's success. A lot of shows are driven by advertisers buying time around the show. Some other shows are directly subsidized by toy companies(action shows like Ben 10 etc). So it's not that simple.

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton
Wow, you guys pick on Uncle Grandpa a lot. Here and elsewhere I've seen the show become a whipping boy. It's a really fun show that doesn't take itself seriously. It's honest slapstick and metajokes just going for laughs. True, there's not much there for adult viewers looking for deep meaning, but that doesn't make it "bad" by any means as far as shows targeted solely at kids go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton
If someone starts up that SU thread again you should ban fan art/fan comics from it. It added nothing to the discussions & reactions. I had every reason to like that thread and that was a massive turnoff.

To add an on-topic comment, I'm interested in how Nick plans to reboot Hey Arnold! That show had a very unfulfilled ending that no kids today would know about. Are they just gonna make the new version all about Arnold going to the jungle to find his parents or are they gonna have to reintroduce the characters/world a bit?