Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

The episodes run 23:40 when they should be 22:30, which likely is why the audio is bad.

what do they mean by this? did they extend the episodes by slowing down the audio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Means the whole drat episode is running at about 95% speed

that's what i figured....but.....why would they do that? :confused:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/GlitchBob452/status/1659994697392111616

first of all...:lmao:

second of all, the quality in that PAL shot :monocle:

i always figured some shows on DVD looked like rear end cause of file compression, but it's night and day between those two

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

.Z. posted:

My understanding is that it's an artifact of doing a PAL to NTSC conversion.

makes sense, but that still leaves the question of why would they need to considering reboot was an NTSC show to begin with?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

.Z. posted:

The Reboot masters are PAL, not NTSC. Assuming Shout had access to the masters when they made their DVDs, they would have had to do a PAL > NTSC conversion. Why do the conversion? NTSC is/was the safer format to produce in. While most PAL DVD players could play NSTC content, the reverse was not true.

okay but why were the masters in PAL if it was originally an NTSC show?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

.Z. posted:

Mainframe Studios produced their shows in PAL. Anything we've seen in NTSC markets of Reboot (and Beast Wars for that matter) was PAL converted to NTSC for broadcast.

okay, i apologize in advance and i swear i'm not trying to be difficult lol, but....why were they produced in PAL? Canada's NTSC isn't it?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Watching a lot of Christmas specials recently since they're on and I'm pretty sure Regular Show still has some of the greatest Xmas episodes of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyMaTuEpfBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EelwEcdauKs

i've been binging through the series and just came across the episode from the first clip. and really can't wait til i get to the episode in the second

drrockso20 posted:

Regular Show's utilization of licensed music is something every TV show crew should be required to study, absolutely masterful at it

normally including licensed music in a series bugs me like 90% of the time, but RS genuinely handles it better than most others

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So it took me almost 2 years of lazy, casual viewing but I finally finished my rewatch of Justice League / Justice League Unlimited. Unsurprisingly very much enjoyed it. I still maintain that it has the best characterization of DC superheroes then pretty much all other DC variations.

I’d also really like to find out what the behind the scenes financial situation was, because pretty much every episode was animated exceptionally well, and seemingly only getting better and more dynamic as the series progressed. I'm sure stuff like that couldn't have come cheap. And JL/JLU didn't do what a lot of action oriented shows, particularly anime, where they dedicate the effort on both of the budget to a small handful of action heavy scenes per episode, and use cheaper animation tricks for the rest. That might be the one thing that surprised me the most on my rewatch. Because there's a LOT of scenes within pretty much every episode where there's a lot going on, fighting choreography, building destructions, explosions, you name it. It was genuinely impressive. and the art style and color schemes they used are just beautiful too. it's legit one of the best animated shows ever imo.

One thing that I always appreciated about the series was how it wasn't afraid to push the envelope and a lot of areas. it was nice to see a kids cartoon not be afraid to be more mature than most of the competition. that being said, I forgot how the shows really took advantage of CN's looser restrictions. I mean there are tons of moments throughout where the writers go really hard. just to give a few examples:

-After Vandal Savage tries to marry princess of another country and killing her father, when he's defeated at the end of the episode, Savage mocks her by saying that he can't die. to which the princess response that it would make it much more enjoyable to torture him forever.
-When Morgaine Le Fey’s son, Mordred wishes for immortality, he manages to get it, but without the added benefit of agelessness. So now he's cursed to grow old and decrepit forever without the ability to die.
-When the sorcerer Faust, attempts to take revenge on Hades for betraying him, he ties him up to have hellish creatures eat his liver/organs everyday like Prometheus. after Faust is defeated by Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl, Hades makes it clear that he'll be returning the favor and will be torturing Faust for eternity.

and I would be remiss if I didn't include probably the best example of all, and it's something that I touched upon a while back in this thread: and that's Darkseid's agony matrix, a concoction so sadistic that borders on comical. seriously I'm trying to imagine how this must have went in the writer's room.

Writer: okay I got this great idea for a trump card for Darkseid in his final, epic battle with Superman!

Producer: Okay, what is it?

Writer: okay it's this thing that I came up with that I call.. the Agony Matrix!

Producer: drat, that sounds badass.

Writer: Right?? anyway so the way this works is that it would activate the pain centers in someone's body to make them experience the worst pain in their life.

Producer: oh wow that does sound pretty brutal.

Writer: oh I'm not done yet.

Producer: Oh, there's more?

Writer: Yeah, so it'll be even worse than that because the agony Matrix activates the pain receptors from every cell in your body.

Producer: Every cell? Like you mean literally every cell?

Writer: yeah

Producer: Okay but you realize that we have like literally.. trillions of those right?

Writer: I'm aware.

Producer: I mean I'm just saying that what you originally described already seemed pretty horrible. this seems like a tad Overkill. but hey if you really want it, we can include…

Writer: Oh one other thing.

Producer: …yes?

Writer: The pain Is also multiplied by a thousand.

Producer: multiplied by a.. thousand?

Writer: Correct. :downs:

Producer: so just so I have this clear.. the agony Matrix will make a person feel the worst pain they've previously ever felt for every pain receptor within trillions and trillions of cells times a thousand?

Writer: Sounds pretty sweet doesn't it?

Producer: Actually yeah it does. :rock:

So yeah I never thought I'd say this for a kid's show but, holy poo poo guys maybe try to tone it down a bit. :psyduck:

anyway overall I think they did a fantastic job. I don't think it's perfect but again what show is. most of the problems that I have are fairly minor quibbles in the grand scheme of things. I will say though that while I do really like the finale and I think they did a pretty good job all things considered, it shouldn't have taken place over the course of one episode. this deserved at least a two-parter. and before anyone corrects me yes I know that this was actually a continuation from the previous episode so technically it was a two-parter. But what I mean is that Darkseid's invasion only lasts one episode. just feels like everything is like wrapped up neat and tidy little too quick.

but yeah amazing series. as I said before, it's the only show from the 2000s that can stand with something like Avatar: The Last Airbender. for anyone that hasn't seen it I highly recommend it.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 13, 2024

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Minor nitpicky correction, Mordred already had immortality, he got tricked into turning himself into an adult which broke the eternal youth aspect of his immortality

ah right, i figured i may have gotten some detail wrong. thanks

quote:

Also I think the Agony Matrix technically came from the comics, personally though I will always be annoyed that they had to do that almost immediately after the World of Cardboard speech but then I still think they should have just let Superman win through conventional fisticuffs with Darkseid instead of having to do the whole bit with Luthor and the Anti-Life Equation to save the day which both then and now felt like an incredibly underwhelming way to resolve the whole situation(especially when compared to say Flash vs Luthoriac the previous season)

oh absolutely. having darkseid win at the last minute completely deflated the world of cardboard moment. we barely get to revel in superman's ultimate moment of badassery, and...oh it's already gone. also, as far as luthor and the anti-life equation, the show never made clear what exactly happened to them, though according to the JLU wiki, it seems luthor and darkseid were absorbed into the source wall.

BioEnchanted posted:

Speaking of children's shows going hard, I always loved Abracadaver in Powerpuff Girls - a Magician who did quite well for himself in the 1920s, only for a little girl who's a bit too curious for her own good to walk on stage and ruin his act, leading to him falling to his death in an Iron Maiden that was intended for one of his illusions. 80 years later, he comes back to life as a zombie with a single goal - kill that girl that destroyed him. The problem is, she's likely already dead from old age. But there is one little girl who happens to resemble her - Blossom. Unlike the other villains who often want something simple like money or power, Abracadaver has a very specific and far grimmer goal in mind - to kill that one person.

Even Him was mostly being playful, more enjoying the game than actually wanting to win for good, the one exception being the bad future when the PPG went missing in time and Him trashed the entire place for a laugh, resulting in the mayor's death.

i vaguely remember the episode you're referring to. PPG definitely had some pretty heavy moments. its cutesy art style probably led the creators to get away with a lot more stuff than they normally would have

TwoPair posted:

Yeah it definitely didn't. I'm pretty sure the producers have said in some interview or another that budget is what forced them to make Green Lantern, the guy who can generate anything with his ring, restricted to mostly using bubbles and plain ol' lasers most of the show, to the point where (in a very meta moment) he gets chastised for it in an episode with another GL, and really only ever goes crazy with it in the episode where he's a kid again.

i noticed this too with a lot of GL's fights, so yeah, i can totally believe it

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

New ATLA live action trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByAn8DF8Ykk

I was impressed by the Netflix One Piece series so hopefully the people behind this can pull off some similar magic

honestly....that's a pretty good trailer!

i mean, it's a trailer to be sure, but it's way better than i expected. this is the most cautiously optimistic i've been since the announcement was made

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

two things:

1. sokka is older than katara. they're 15 and 14, respectively.
2. did we forget that katara blows up at sokka for being a sexist jerk literally in the FIRST 5 MINUTES of the show?

Booky posted:

sokkas whole Deal is that he feels like he has to be the Man of the Tribe (even tho hes like, 15) and then he grows out of being a sexist jackass like 5 eps in and becomes the chiller smart guy... incredibly lame rear end change.

yeah, this is my only complaint about that. while teaching kids not to think lowly of girls/women, sokka's sexist attitudes probably appear for a grand total of 2 episodes, including the kyoshi warriors one, which were very early on in the series and resolved SUPER quick.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Personally I expect a lot of grown rear end adults to not have basic respect for women, let alone teenagers.

yuuuuup. as lovely as it sounds, if anything, we probably need that kind of messaging MORE nowadays than we did 20 years ago

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i'm at ep 3 but the remake has some of the worst exposition i've ever seen lmao

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

anyone see X-men 97? it's pretty good! it was also cool how they redid the original intro...though the animation's kind of inferior in quite a few spots. it sucks that professor X isn't in it, but overall i like what i see.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

I mean, the original series showed that he’s still alive so it’s possible he might pop up eventually but otherwise yeah, it seems decent so far

oh crap you're right lol

i didn't realize this was a continuation. i thought this was supposed to be like an alternate future timeline or something

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s just not the same without Cedric Smith screaming while Professor X grips his head.

obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7RNjsiNgdM

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

well that sucks

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think the show was just a very basic message of "You can't solve interpersonal problems by getting whatever you want"

then what the hell is the point of having fairy godparents? :colbert:

MorningMoon posted:

Season 3 of Danny Phantom is a quality nosedive, supposedly in large part because Butch got more creative control (he writes more episodes at the very least) and some of the key staff left, but the other large part is what you've mentioned. Season 2 ends with Danny pretty much finishing his arc of becoming a hero.
-In the third tv movie, Reality Trip, he's able to decisively get his parents' approval despite being half ghost. Since Vlad's introduction he could count on it, used that trust to "beat" Vlad the first time, but he always doubted to some degree, but then he sees first hand just how much they would still love and support him, so that's a storyline gone full circle.
-In the last episode of the season, the one with Dani the clone, Danny just straight up beats Vlad physically. Vlad sees the Ghost Wail from the second movie first hand, a power he never had, and it knocks him down. Vlad might've been able to turn things around but Danny's friends show up to run him over and put on the shock belt, but still, it's Danny overpowering the foe that was first introduced as being untouchable.

Danny is shown as overconfident in that season 2 finale and season 3 just plays with that the whole way through since there's no consistent idea anymore of where Danny should go next. Ghost lore also goes down the drain because Danny has bested pretty conclusively all the interesting ghosts, so they throw in some weird elementals to escalate.

danny phantom had a totally fine concept that was primarily ruined by going with the FOP animation style. DP ripped off basically everything from the character designs to even those annoying comedic cues, which at the very least work(ed) in FOP but not at all with DP. absolutely bizarre decision. i think it would have worked immensely better if it was done in the style of Generator Rex or something to that effect.

totally spies is one of those shows like johnny test where i had no idea it had monstrous levels of popularity. just checked wiki and there were 156 episodes :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm having an annoying copyright situation on Youtube. I've tried to start a series discussing the Mask animated series, but the review/analysis of the first half of the first two-parter pilot episode has been copyright claimed. I've disputed (because it only uses about 5 minutes of footage that is almost entirely silenced for my commentary, so it is transformative and not replacing the original) and then appealed, but if the appeal fails and I get struck I'll probably just put the video on my patreon but for free and make a little trailer video discussing the situation, pointing people to where the video is and asking for support if they want to see more as I might not be able to monetise this series. Or I might just try reuploading but keeping monetisation off and see if that makes them lay off, just see how it does with views and subscribers for the videos that ARE monetised.

who the hell would copyright claim the Mask t.v. show? :confused: