Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Yeah, Christopher Daniel Barnes was a very good Spider-Man...When he wasn't yelling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5tQHowPGXk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

thelaughingman posted:

Some people REALLY hate canadian cartoons on CN.

Did you check the date it was written?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

IRQ posted:

The second one really wasn't so bad. I mean they're no Pixar or How to Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks CAN make a good movie!), but not awful.

Yeah, I think the main reason people poo poo on most Dreamworks cartoons is because they're just not as good as Pixar's overall. That said, I've liked most of the stuff I've seen from them to varying degrees. The only one I flat out disliked was Bee Movie. A real waste of Jerry Seinfeld. Still need to see How to Train Your Dragon myself, but it's gonna be hard in my eyes for Dreamworks to top Kung Fu Panda.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

mobo85 posted:

Two voices, actually- voice actor extraordinare Frank Welker is still voicing Fred and is also Scooby's voice as he has been for the past few years.

Has anyone else EVER voiced Fred? Welker's been doing it for 40 years now. Even when an early episode of Family Guy did a Scooby-Doo cutaway they had him there. It's nuts.

And no, Freddie Prinze Jr. doesn't count.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

Thats odd, I thought I'd seen relatively well done 2-d character models for that show. I certainly hope that we don't have the CGI craze spread from movies to 30 minute cartoons.

You did. They even show them at the end of that commercial. Those CG shorts are going to be a separate segment.

And some theatrical shorts are proving that CG Looney Tunes actually can look really good: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cgi/looney-tunes-exclusive-clip-coyote-falls.html

And yes, that's the site the SA "Animation Website" articles were poking fun at. They're notoriously biased in some aspects.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

Edit: I didn't notice the animation for the new Looney Tunes show, but from what I've heard that most recent Looney Tunes movie was quite good, so I wouldn't give up hope on it.

Back In Action actually WAS really good, partly because Joe Dante directed it and had been a huge Looney Tunes fan forever, to the point of being friends with Chuck Jones and having him cameo in Gremlins. Sad that I was the only person I knew to see it and Space Jam was the hit instead.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

haveblue posted:

The Titan is a cel-shaded 3D model put in a 2D world. Same trick as the spaceships in Clone Wars.

Aside from scenes in Futurama when the ships are flying around without any characters, cel-shaded CGI is pretty much universally poo poo on TV cartoons for some reason. We watched an episode of Justice League in class a while back and a really, REALLY awful-looking and out of place chopper popped up and literally drew groans and laughter. Family Guy also has a hard-on for using it for literally every vehicle as well.

Honestly, the only time this technique was really pulled off well as far as I know was Iron Giant. A lot of people would probably never guess the giant was entirely CG unless you told them.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Numb Three Ers posted:

I was going to do a big write up about all the good Canadian cartoons but after ReBoot and The Raccoons I couldn't find any more. Now I fell bad for my country.

ReBoot's good, but The Raccoons really isn't as good as you might remember it. I watched some of those specials a year or so ago remembering renting them as a kid and they were really terrible.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Oh hey, it's Spy Fox: The Animated Series.

Goddammit that would have been awesome. My siblings and I always played those and the Pajama Sam games as kids, and I keep saying that if someone like Telltale revives either of those series I will buy it regardless of the target age group.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Meeble posted:

CN seems to cancel all of their shows after about 3-4 seasons.

Hopefully that means Johnny Test sent away forever.

How many seasons did Ed, Edd n' Eddy and Powerpuff Girls get, though? They were around forever.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Inspector_71 posted:

They already found and tasted Candy Island, they just couldn't stay there.

I just really hope they do a proper DVD release for the show.

These days with Cartoon Network, iTunes is the way to go for that. I think Powerpuff Girls and Foster's are the only shows to get more than one season on DVD.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

thelaughingman posted:

Well, Regular Show and Mad both premier next monday. I also found JG Quintels twitter account

edit: Mark Hamill voices Skips the Yeti!

Is it weird that Hamill is one of my favorite voice actors? He just excels at great villains- Listen to him in Batman, Avatar, Metalocalypse, or Castle in the Sky for proof.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Tartarus Sauce posted:

OOOH, and that explains Monster Buster Club, which makes Johnny Test look like Masterpiece Theatre.

It's odd, because I used to mock some Canadian cartoons for being too soft, and not edgy enough, and the problem with the current stock of Canadian cartoons seems to be they don't know when to STOP being edgy and loud.

Seriously, Ed, Edd, n Eddy went from charming to headache-inducing just-like-that.

So, Canadians just need to learn to make good shows, eh? Maybe the writers of the Red Green Show, or Kids in the Hall, or the Mr. Hell Show need to team up with Nelvana and do... something?

Wait, isn't Fred's Head Canadian? That's not a bad show, why don't they air that? Why don't they air reruns of Reboot, or Rupert, or Redwall? Anything! Anything but more (yawn) Kid versus Kat!

(Speaking of Heads, TVTropes recently brought back vague some memories of a steaming pile from back in the day called Out of Jimmy's Head. Wow, that show was so stupid, it defied comprehension. Odd thing is, a lot of the writers and creators had worked on other perfectly respectable shows. How does THAT happen?)

Funny, I thought the early episodes of Ed, Edd n Eddy were pretty awful, and didn't get into the show until it had been going for a while. It really found its legs, though.

I agree that airing Reboot again would be neat, but that Redwall cartoon pissed me off as a kid- I was a big fan of the books and so many things were toned down or changed for the worse.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Holy poo poo. The best possible reminder of how sophisticated The Powerpuff Girls could be for a show aimed at kids is the episode "Moral Decay", which I just watched.

Seriously, I don't want to give it away if you don't remember, but track it down if you've got fifteen minutes to kill.

Is that the one where Buttercup keeps knocking out people's teeth? It's a good one, but I can't remember anything about it I'd consider sophisticated.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Powerpuff Girls had so much great stuff going for it. I loved that the creators were able to get a bunch of different bands they liked to make songs about the show, Cartoon Network had the greatest commercial bumps back then :allears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfQIwIy7_bU

Call? Yes, CALL! I could call someone on the telephone! And it would ring at their house, and then they would pick it up, and then...

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

readingatwork posted:

On that note did Danny Phantom actually get a proper ending? I just caught a couple of episodes and it actually looks like they have something of an interesting story going on.

I believe it did, though it was cancelled before the crew had hoped for so they kind of had to rush the plot arcs for the last season.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Somewhat related: I really wish that AbraCatastrophe had been a theatrical movie instead of just a TV movie. I always wanted to see the Fairly Oddparents on the big screen, and AbraCatastrophe just seemed like it was meant for theaters with how grand it was. I mean, there final battle with Crocker, and the Timmy finally revealing his fairies to his parents. But hey, I also thought Dexter's Ego Trip should have been a theatrical movie too.

Fun fact: Butch Hartman had a script for a theatrical FOP movie written up years ago and it almost started production, but Nickelodeon/Viacom had some executive changes and the new people canned the project. I kind of wish they would let him release the script or something.

(I felt the same way as you about those two movies, also.)

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Neo Helbeast posted:

They keeping making episodes were Pinkie Pie turns into a borderline serial killer an I'll keep throwing money at them.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Goddammit this GIF might be what it finally takes for me to risk my masculinity and watch this show.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I still have yet to watch Friendship Is Magic, but apparently Lauren Faust is greatly reducing her involvement in it:
http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/journal/40428056/

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

mobo85 posted:

Steve Hillenberg and a lot of the original writing staff (who were also Rocko veterans) did leave the show either immediately after the feature or sometime afterward. I think SpongeBob's problem is the same as The Simpsons's- it's been on the air for so long and all the original staff is long gone, not that it has any signs of leaving anytime soon.

What's Hillenberg been up to since, anyway? It's been like half a decade since the movie came about and I haven't heard anything about him since.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

ElNarez posted:

Not as long as Family Guy is on the air I'm afraid. Let me present Exhibit A, from last Sunday's season premiere. MAD has the merits of using mildly relevant material, doing something creative with said material and acknowledging that these memes are pretty stupid.

Clip's down. Can someone describe it? Family Guy has been garbage to me ever since it got resurrected, and seeing or hearing about the moronic poo poo it pulls is both infuriating and fascinating.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

By the way, remember that link about Brenda Song being pregnant by Miley Cyrus' freakish-looking half brother? False alarm, apparently- she's not pregnant after all. :shobon:

That would explain why I hadn't heard anything about it since, as well as why my Disney Channel-loving sister never mentioned it.

In other news, the "brony" movement continues to embarrass itself.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

TwoPair posted:

But season 5 had the lead character beating the ever-lovin' gently caress out of Digimon so it's clearly the best season.

Season 2 is the only one I know of to have puppy kicking, though.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

SigmusAmadeus posted:

The Episode of Brave and the Bold on now is loving amazing oh my God.

According to some Twitter posts I just read, it's the last one.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Figured this was as good a place as any to post my...find in a 7-Eleven parking lot a few minutes ago. For all I know this could belong to a goon, so my apologies, not trying to piss off anyone. It just struck me as funny.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Man, that bothers me too. Seriously, Disney, I want to watch Avengers without going to Youtube. Just let me give you my ratings/viewership/precious minutes of my life without having to upgrade my cable package, dammit.

The Avengers cartoon (As well as Phineas & Ferb) are both running ad-free on Netflix Streaming, if you happen to have that.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

McSpanky posted:

I will never, ever forgive Cartoon Network for canning The Big O. Never.

I will. The second season was poo poo from what I recall.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

MounerKT posted:

Also Johnny Bravo is still great.

That show still has some of my favorite quotes from any cartoon ever. It's from the episode where he confronts a bunch of living toys, and it's something like:

Toy: Who's this punk?
Johnny: I'm Johnny Bravo.
Toy: Well, when I'm finished with you, you're gonna be Johnny Nothing!
Johnny: Wow, that...that wasn't even clever.

Or the one where he does some detective work for Suzy:

Suzy: If you keep at it, I'll double your salary!
Johnny: You're not paying me anything.
Suzy: Then I'll triple it!
Johnny: .......Done!

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I read somewhere that the reason behind that show not getting past the pilot stage was actually because the creator was having a union dispute of some kind with Nickelodeon, so he got the boot and any plans for a series were shelved.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Dragon Hunters is another nifty French show that didn't get nearly as much love in English-speaking countries as it should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
So the creators of Wakfu are finally attempting to give the first season an English dub via Kickstarter. Is that show any good? I've heard at the very least that the animation looks incredible by TV standards, but have never sat down and watched it.