Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm actually rewatching the cartoon now, since I just got the BD boxset. And man. The transition may be a little too on-the-nose visually. Because having literally just watched most of those scene over the last couple days, seeing them in live action is breaking my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I dunno what you people are talking about. Teenage girls are the most terrifying people on the planet.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Rewatching Avatar:TLA, and The Blind Bandit is still top 5% cartoon episodes of all time. :allears:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TwoPair posted:

Yeah it definitely didn't. I'm pretty sure the producers have said in some interview or another that budget is what forced them to make Green Lantern, the guy who can generate anything with his ring, restricted to mostly using bubbles and plain ol' lasers most of the show, to the point where (in a very meta moment) he gets chastised for it in an episode with another GL, and really only ever goes crazy with it in the episode where he's a kid again.

It was also a minor characterization moment in the writers room, IIRC, that the reason most of his constructs were so simple was because he was a Marine instead of being an architect like he was in the comics. (I'm pretty sure the comics retconned him to be both since then.)

Mr Interweb posted:

So it took me almost 2 years of lazy, casual viewing but I finally finished my rewatch of Justice League / Justice League Unlimited. Unsurprisingly very much enjoyed it. I still maintain that it has the best characterization of DC superheroes then pretty much all other DC variations.

I’d also really like to find out what the behind the scenes financial situation was, because pretty much every episode was animated exceptionally well, and seemingly only getting better and more dynamic as the series progressed. I'm sure stuff like that couldn't have come cheap. And JL/JLU didn't do what a lot of action oriented shows, particularly anime, where they dedicate the effort on both of the budget to a small handful of action heavy scenes per episode, and use cheaper animation tricks for the rest. That might be the one thing that surprised me the most on my rewatch. Because there's a LOT of scenes within pretty much every episode where there's a lot going on, fighting choreography, building destructions, explosions, you name it. It was genuinely impressive. and the art style and color schemes they used are just beautiful too. it's legit one of the best animated shows ever imo.

One thing that I always appreciated about the series was how it wasn't afraid to push the envelope and a lot of areas. it was nice to see a kids cartoon not be afraid to be more mature than most of the competition. that being said, I forgot how the shows really took advantage of CN's looser restrictions. I mean there are tons of moments throughout where the writers go really hard.

JLU/the DCAU in general did the same thing all good cartoons did wherein they bumped up against the censorship limits as much as possible and when they couldn't do what they wanted, they invariably come up with a (n in retrospect) more hosed up way to convey what they want to convey. i.e., Joker's laughing gas. And the entirety of Joker/Harley's relationship in BTAS.

There are more than a couple nods to John and Shayera loving (both themselves and others) in JL/JLU.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

Reminds me of how the "censored" version of Return of The Joker arguably had more brutal deaths than the uncensored version

IIRC, the censored version of Joker's death was him getting knocked into an electrified puddle. The non-censored version is him getting shot by psycho Tim with his own flag spear pistol thing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

koolkal posted:

Wonder if they'll take out all the jokes about Toph being blind

I think it helps that Toph is shown as decidedly more capable than the rest of the group in a bunch of situations, and even fucks with them about her blindless since they routinely forget because she's Daredevil+.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Robotnik Nudes posted:

It does indeed portray anarchists as far more intelligent and noble than they tend to be in the real world.

The Red Lotus really were the best Avatar villains. I just finished a Korra rewatch, and Zaheer getting all evil and cackly immediately after getting captured was the dumbest decision.

Ccs posted:

There’s two other fantasy series with magic that have done the “transitioning into the Industrial Revolution and beyond” storyline, The First Law and Mistborn. In The First Law magic gets more and more useless as a force to shape the world and is gradually replaced with economic and technological power. I haven’t read past the first trilogy of Mistborn so I’m not sure what happens in that scenario.

I’d like more Avatar I guess but I’m not sure what era of story I’d want told.

I haven't finished the trilogy, but Mistborn series 2 deals with it similar to Korra where the specialized variations of powers become more widespread and mixed + matched leading to new overpowered combinations. Particularly due to how the different power sets were segregated in series 1. And technology develops both to compliment and to counter or emulate specific abilities.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 24, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, Azula always struck me as being a bit babyfaced even in animation. Her friends are basically a manic pixie athlete and a goth, and The Beach shows them acting more like a teen girl squad (guest starring Zuko) than a bunch of titled nobility that they are. The whole family is also shown to have youthful good looks, especially in their cleaned up formal outfits, and after all the build up Ozai being revealed as a pretty boy was quite the swerve when people expected a more conventional kind of villain with a sinister, intimidating appearance.

And her meltdown in the end also makes a lot of sense for someone who's living a mix of high school queen bitch and Joffrey-but-competent; she has literally no concept of how a healthy relationship works, and once her friends betray her despite the leverage she has over them, she suddenly has no reason to believe anyone would remain loyal to her.

Even if some of the parts of The Beach were too on-the-nose, it still gave us the best Azula line:
"My own mother thought I was a monster. :( ..........She was right, of course. But it still hurt. :colbert:"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cattail Prophet posted:

...I feel like you're being extremely generous with the "masked" part of that for everyone except Zuko. I'll maybe grant you Painted Lady for Katara, but Blind Bandit certainly doesn't wear a mask, and neither does WANG FIRE, HERO OF THE FIRE NATION. :colbert: And I'm not sure what you'd even be talking about for Aang, besides Kuzon I guess.

Unless there's stuff I'm somehow completely forgetting, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You always have the Earth 3 counterpart, Alexander Luthor, who was always a good guy. Which is why calling him Alex in MAWS always felt like kind of a feint.