Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

I need to finish Batman Beyond already, I don't think I saw the horribly scattered last season.

Batman Beyond was good, but they really amped up the "teenage issues" bullshit later on.

Don't forget to watch the JLU episode "Epilogue", that ties back into the BB continuity and caps off the entire story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dude789 posted:

One thing I've noticed is that Nickelodeon isn't producing cartoons as frequently as they used to. New Episodes of Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents are rare and when there is a new episode they make a big deal about it. The last animated show I can think of that they've had consistent once a week updates for is Avatar. I really hope that Nickelodeon still has plans for Avatar. It was such a great series and they could easily create another season which follows the life of one of the past Avatars.

That didn't even last through all of Avatar- by the end of season 3 multi-month breaks were frequent and the whole season took something like a year and a half from premier to finale.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Steak Justice posted:

It seems like the 4th season is the mandatory death age for anything on the network not named Ed Edd 'n Eddy.
Which is depressing.

Yep. 3 seasons is the magic number at which running all the existing episodes in endless repeats brings in as much or more income as premiering new ones.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dude789 posted:

If you could get past the whole overall idea of teenage girls as spies,

If you can do that, change the channel and watch Kim Possible, which is better in every way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Khurath posted:

By far the show I miss the most is Megas XLR, an action/comedy show that was on Cartoon Network a few years back. In the distant future, humanity is at war with an alien species. The humans are losing badly, and in the course of the war a super advanced prototype mecha from the future gets sent back in time. The robot winds up the hands of Coop, a gluttonous slacker in present day New Jersey, who promptly mods the entire thing: he replaces the head with his car, paints rockin' flames on the armor... pretty much what you would expect. He also mods the control systems, so that when the future folks (humans and aliens) come back looking for it, Coop is the only person able to understand the new controls. Employing skills garnered from years of video games and watching pro wrestling, Coop beats back the aliens (leveling Jersey City in the process, but eh).

The show was a fantastic love letter to giant robot shows of the past, with parodies of nearly every iconic giant robot/alien you can think of. Naturally, Coop beats the crap out of all of them (flattening Jersey City most weeks in the process), employing every kind of attack you can imagine and all of this is to an appropriately rocking soundtrack.

It lasted for about two seasons, and ends right after a goddamn fantastic episode that opens up a whole new realm of possible stuff to clobber. I'd love to see DVDs of this show, but after so many years I've just resigned myself to the fact that they're probably never going to happen.

I dig giant robots. :unsmith:

More importantly, leveling Jersey City each episode.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Those backgrounds are fantastic but I almost made a record-scratching sound out loud when I got down to the character designs. I really, really hope they look better in motion.

I mean, Tartakovsky has earned my trust many times over, and I'd watch an episode of Teletubbies if it had his name on it, but right now I don't know what he's thinking.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Inspector_71 posted:

Is it just me, or is the Titan animated in a different way and seemingly edited into the scenes? The design is awesome but the animation is...jarring?

The Titan is a cel-shaded 3D model put in a 2D world. Same trick as the spaceships in Clone Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Behonkiss posted:

Honestly, the only time this technique was really pulled off well as far as I know was Iron Giant. A lot of people would probably never guess the giant was entirely CG unless you told them.

Probably because it was surrounded by fully animated characters running at the same 24 frames per second. You can't pull that off on TV, there the cels are going at half that rate or lower in most cases and it clashes with the perfectly smooth CG at the full 30.

I thought Clone Wars looked fantastic, though, and the ships were never jarring. Let's hope he keeps tweaking this show.