Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

dude789 posted:

I loved The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy and I am really sad that it's over. Other people I've talked to don't like it as much as I do, but the show's humor really clicked with me.

Billy & Mandy was great. In fact, it's where I got my username from! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

thelaughingman posted:

Cartoon network announced its new line-up.

quote:

Regular Show

I'm seriously befuddled by this seemingly simple show, which was created after winning a short contest for the Cartoon Network. All I know is: Do not watch it high.

Speak for yourself. :350:

Man, are these all CN shows? Some of these sound more like Adult Swim shows.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

My favourite P&F moment so far

Haha, holy poo poo. I need to check this out.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Is it just me, or has there been a lot of news lately about new Thundercats projects ever since the creator died? It's like everyone knew it was going to happen and decided to hold out until he was murdered for the extra publicity. :tinfoil:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I'm also surprised about how well the new SD show is. However, I can't help but notice that most of the best jokes revolve around the show poking fun at itself. The running gag about how Fred is obsessed with trap-making is a great example. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty funny, but I can't imagine that going on for more than a season or two before it gets stale. If the show wants to stick around for the long run then they're going to have to mix it up.

Also, while we're on the subject, CN's Monday night 7-9 line-up would be perfect if it wasn't for Johnny Test. If they could replace that with something that didn't suck then they would have a killer programming block.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

There's going to be a live-action Fairly Oddparents movie, with Drake Bell playing a Timmy Turner who is in his mid-20s but refuses to move beyond the 5th grade because his fairy godparents can just give him everything he wants. Jason Alexander (Seinfeld, duh) and Cheryl Hines (Curb Your Enthusiasm) will be playing Cosmo and Wanda.

This looks like it could be terrible, incredible, or incredibly terrible.

For the first time ever I'm glad that my office has waffleimages blocked. This sounds like a really bad idea.

I saw an interview recently with Jason Alexander where he said he never turned down work because he can't afford to. Guess he wasn't bullshitting.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Kipory posted:

They could make a Calvin and Hobbes movie, but that would result in Bill Watterson exploding and taking the west coast with him, I'm sure.

Every other tasteless idiot in the country already has one of those tacky "peeing Calvin" decals on their car. If that doesn't get his blood boiling I don't know what will.

But yeah, he'd never allow it.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

nfreakct posted:

Hey look, Regular Show has a trailer!

Don't watch. It's an evil show.

If this replaces Johnny Test on the Monday night block then CN from 7-9 will be killer.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

sickinwyoming posted:

Also I want to thank this thread for alerting me of the existence of Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc, I love it so.

Oh yeah. Between that, Adventure Time and Regular Show CN has been on a roll as of recently.

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 11, 2010

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

thelaughingman posted:

A preview of Firebreather:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_NUKU9OuPg&feature=related

I can't help but laugh at the gratuitous use of the "swoosh" sound effects in this clip. It's hilariously corny.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Drake Lake posted:

ZEVO-3.

NICKTOONS.

ZEVO-3.

NICKTOONS.

This somehow takes me back...

What's really sad is that the entire "Nicktoons" franchise was based around the idea of putting original artists in charge of making animated shows and not corporate entities looking to try and use the medium to sell things. Now we have a Nicktoon that is essentially nothing but one giant commercial. It's really sad to see it come to this.

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 1, 2010

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Wow. CN must be desperately trying to get rid of Flapjack. Maybe they want it off the lineup in time for "Regular Show"?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I'm loving "Regular Show", but there's one thing about it that bothers me and it. There's a distinct formula that each episode follows. Both episodes and the pilot play out the same way. It starts with Rigby and Mordecai are goofing around and eventually they get involved with some sort of task. In the course of trying to complete said task they unleash some sort of supernatural force which they have to suppress. After suppressing it they are chewed out by Benson, get told they have to "clean up this mess" and they end the episode with a quip showing that they're still slackers. It's still very funny and they do a well enough job keeping it fresh, but I'm curious as to how they'll be able to keep it up. I hope they mix it up some more in future episodes otherwise the show could start becoming stale.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

"You know who likes special entertainment like that? MY MOM!"

:ghost::hf::zombie:

Also, thanks for the link to "Just Set Up the Chairs". For some strange reason I really like that "Regular Show" doesn't have a genuine opening title sequence. It just goes straight to the episode.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Yeah, Robotomy turned out to be not so bad. Had some pretty cool moments. I look forward to seeing where they go with this show.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Sockser posted:

Seems like you're pulling the red out of your rear end.

The yellow ranger was asian though v:shobon:v

and now she's (Thuy Trang) dead.

I remember reading online that the guy who played the original blue ranger (David Yost) was gay and got a ton of poo poo about it from the cast and crew while working on the show and its many spin-offs. He later tried to enter one of those christian-run programs designed to purge people of their homosexuality, but wound up having a nervous breakdown instead.

It's not easy being a power ranger it seems. :(

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Sockser posted:

I'd say JYB is the most successful. Dude voiced Kaneda in Akira, man. That's top-tier VA work.

I did not know this. Now my mind is blown. :psyduck:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Cracked had an interesting article about cartoon spin-offs that almost happened and they had an interesting piece in it about the notorious "Dexter's Rude Awakening" cartoon. For those of you who don't know the story, here it is...

http://www.cracked.com/article_19049_6-insane-versions-famous-cartoons-they-almost-made.html

Cracked posted:

Throughout the course of the series, Dexter's Laboratory was no stranger to "adult humor," sneaking in sly references to things only Mom and Dad would understand. But there are subtle, racy allusions, and then there's the secret unaired episode, "Dexter's Rude Removal," in which Dexter's sister straight-up calls him a "skull-loving douchebag."

The episode was designed as a treat for adult fans of the show, reserved exclusively for comics conventions and other special occasions, and has never been (and will never be, according to series creator Genndy Tartakovsky) aired on television. As a result, only a few people claim to have seen it. The episode is so peppered with explicit profanity that South Park would blush, and Cartoon Network won't touch it even for a late-night time slot, when it can pretty much air an interspecies orgy with the cast of Madagascar and get away with it.

These kinds of in-house gags aren't exactly new. As far back as the 1930s, Warner Bros. was amusing itself by making Porky Pig swear. But what makes Dexter stand out is just how far they went. The plot involves Dexter inadvertently creating evil clones of himself and his sister Dee Dee, and for the rest of the episode, the clones unleash a torrent of profanity at each other while flipping off and mooning the audience. At one point, while eating dinner, clone Dexter tells his mother "this poo poo is loving great," after which clone Dee Dee scolds him for "loving cursing in front of loving Mom."

So where can you find a copy of this? Well, it looks like you can't. Even with Cracked's powerful connections within the comedy industry, Genndy and Cartoon Network are keeping it pretty tightly under wraps. But really, it's only a matter of time until someone leaks it onto YouTube. After all, if the U.S. government can't suppress an alien autopsy video, what hope does Cartoon Network have?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

readingatwork posted:

Now, on to discover the next children's television show to waste my life on!

Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great choice if you haven't seen it yet.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Neo Helbeast posted:

Just want to point out that the CN who "is taking risks" canceled Megas XLR. Nothing shall ever make me not frown at them. Nothing. Not even if they restarted it. I'd still frown at them for cancelling it in the first place.

Wasn't it the creator's decision to end the show?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

On the subject of older cartoons: if you've been aching for Rocko's Modern Life to come to DVD (I know I have), all you have to do is wait two more months for Season 1 to drop. I guess you could skip it if you have Netflix, since all four seasons are available for streaming, but if you want to send a message to Nickelodeon to release the rest of them, buy the DVDs.

Will it have the uncut version of the episode "Leap Frogs"? Please say yes.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

AKA Driver posted:

If it's just a DVD pressing of the episodes available on Netflix streaming, I'd say no. There's some quirky cuts on those episodes.

Bummer. :(

More than fifteen years later I'm still amazed with all the things they got away with on that show. The phone sex gag from "Canned" is still my favorite.

"Rocko?"
"Mrs. Bighead?"
:stare: :stare:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

JammyLammy posted:

I wonder if its going to be another Franco-Japanese production.

Its weird watching shows I saw a kid and realizing how many of them were technically anime.

It's weird watching shows from back in the day and realizing how many of them originated from Europe. I never even knew The Smurfs were Belgian in origin until recently. Before then I always sort of assumed that they were a product 1980's American culture. :downs:

Anyway, yeah, a second season of MCoG? Not that I'm complaining or anything, but after that long, can you even call it a second season? There should be a different name for something like that. Hell, I'm pretty sure the audience they're going to be aiming for with that show wasn't even born yet when the first season aired. Hell, I wasn't even born yet when that show first debuted (I was born in '84). I remember that show from pre-Nicktoons Nickelodeon, back when they did Grimm's Fairy Tales and stuff like that, and that was WAY back in the day.

It could be a wise move though. A well-written MCoG reboot could be just the thing to fill the void left by "Avatar: The Last Airbender".

JammyLammy posted:

Catchty intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcH_ZTF6smY

Oh hell yeah! I remember that the most! I used to watch that show just for the intro alone. They don't do intro sequences like that anymore. Hell, some cartoons don't do intro sequences at all anymore (Regular Show).

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 18, 2011

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

Hey Arnold! came out near the end of my Nickelodeon watching time, so I didn't watch many episodes of it. After watching a couple of episodes on Netflix Instant, though, I've found out that it's really great. My favorite Nicktoon growing up was Rocko's Modern Life, and even though they're two very different shows, I have to say that Hey Arnold! is better. It captures the soul of living in a city well, and I can't get enough of the jazzy soundtrack.

Helga is extremely creepy, though.

I'm in the same boat. I was a huge Rocko fan as a kid, but I mostly missed out on HA. Reviewing the show now as an adult I feel that it is easily one of the best programs that Nick ever produced, mainly for the reasons mentioned here. Wonderful characters, great music, et cetera. Also, Helga owns. Seriously, they could do a whole show on her and I'd watch it.

Also, I decided to give Problem Solverz another chance since I heard that it's getting a second season and I think it's starting to grow on me. Unlike Adventure Time and Regular Show, however, I'm glad it's confined to an 11-minute format. I can only handle that show in small doses.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

raditts posted:

I watched a couple episodes of Rocko on Netflix a month or two back, and boy has that show not aged well.

Really? I go back to watch Rocko every now and then and it never fails to entertain me. I think it held up rather well.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Magnus Condomus posted:

Code Lyoko had a lot of good ideas that were executed poorly. The show dragged on the same formula for too long, and never really changed things up enough to make it worth it. I ended up watching the whole series, and I can't really recommend it to anyone.

To this day, I still measure foreheads in fractions of Lyokos. I have yet to see someone with a full Lyoko.

I agree. It was an interesting premise and it made for some cool set ups (zombies, rogue fighter jets, etc), but it always ended the same way. They went into Lyoko, fought some monsters, did the whole deus ex machina thing and everything goes back to the way it was before.

And yes, the character design was atrocious. If it weren't for the whole forehead thing I wouldn't have any issues with it. It crazy how one thing can screw up everything.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

I choose to believe that this is either a poor attempt at having "Brawny" on the licence plate, or the owner of this car is a great LeBron James fan.

Y'know, I've never once sat down to watch the new MLP show. I've never even seen clips of it online. My only experience with it are the few snapshots of the program that I've seen on the internet and that's it. Sometimes I'm tempted to watch a few minutes of it, just to see what all the fuss is about but I don't get The Hub.

Plus, I'm just too macho. A show about colorful, magical ponies? Whatever. :colbert:

Also, I've recently decided to give Phineas and Ferb a shot and it's really started to grow on me. In fact, it's my new morning show. I can't stand what passes for morning television these days. The last time I tuned into the Today show the first thing I got was a news story about a little girl getting kidnapped, raped, murdered, dismembered and left in a garbage bin. Who the hell wants to hear all that first thing in the morning? I can tune into P&F and there's not a single negative or unpleasant thing in the whole program. It's the perfect thing to watch to get me in the right mood to start the day.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

thelaughingman posted:

Here is a list of what is comming and what is staying.

edit: and some specials and movies.

So they're getting rid of Problem Solverz and SMFA? I thought they were keeping it around for at least one more season.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

So, word has it that they're bringing Teen Titans back in 2013 as Teen Titans Go and this time it's going to be a straight up comedy. As much as I liked TT, I really think they should have just kept it retired. Personally, I would have rather seen them try and reinvent the franchise all together.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

Anyone rember Robotomy? Wouldn't it be great if that was still on instead of Angry Orange?

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Problem Solverz.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

For those of you who didn't see it posted in the AS thread, Dexter's Rude Removal. Yes, it's a real thing that actually happened.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

^
That episode of Spongebob had silly sound effects and "beeped the whole word" this sounds like you can hear the first letter, unless by brain is doing strange hearing tricks.

Yeah. In the Spongebob and Tiny Toons episodes its still rather vague as to what the characters are actually saying, and intentionally so. Not so much in Rude Removal, where it's fairly obvious what four letter words are being dropped.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Nobody else will probably even care about this, but they've officially announced that Season 2 of The Mysterious Cities of Gold will have an English language release. I've been watching the French episodes with subtitles and it's really good so far. We're only 14 episodes in though.

https://vimeo.com/68709614

Wow. That's something like a thirty year gap between seasons. Talk about a delay. :psyduck:

Also, that trailer is sharp as hell! Which network is picking it up? Think they'll rerun the original series to promote it? Probably not, seeing as how old it is but it would be cool if someone did that.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I've only seen a few preview clips of Beware the Batman and all I can say is that despite it being an honest effort, I'm just not feeling it. I grew up watching Batman: The Animated Series so the bar is set pretty high for me as far as Batman is concerned. I was living overseas when B:TAS came out so I couldn't watch it on TV. Luckily, I had a friend who had a buddy back in America who would tape all the episodes for him on VHS and mail them to him to watch at home. It was the only way any of us could get to watch Batman in Germany so it goes without saying that kid was King Cool.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I think I finally figured out Uncle Grandpa's deal. He's Spongebob. Seriously, turn Spongebob into an old white guy and the two are identical. Kinda makes the show feel like a shameless rip off now that I've realized this.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I wasn't aware that "Sheroes" was a thing. Glad to hear that it's not anymore.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Gaunab posted:

Is legend of korra worth watching?

Season one is decent, but it's not without its flaws. Unfortunately, I gave up on season two halfway through (it's pretty crummy). I've only seen the first two episodes of season three, but it's shaping up to be an improvement over the previous seasons.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Gaunab posted:

Well that sucks that Korra is so mediocre. I remember looking forward to it when it was first announced and from the wiki the cast is very interesting. Oh well.

I really want to like Korra, especially now that Game of Thrones is between seasons leaving me with a fantasy-adventure itch that needs to be scratched. Sadly it has been two seasons worth of meh before it started getting interesting and now I can't bring myself to care.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Ofaloaf posted:

What's a properly good thing to play for kids ages 8-10 for the duration of a recess?

I'm no expert on the subject, but I feel that Phineas and Ferb is always a safe option in this regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

E: whoops, nm wrong thread.