Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just had to watch Mystery Inc after stumbling across the season 1 finale synopsis on Wikipedia

quote:

In the end the mystery is solved; however, the gang tragically falls apart. Fred leaves to go look for his real parents, breaking off his engagement with Daphne, while Shaggy's parents decide to send him off to military school and then send Scooby to a "nice" farm. All seems lost for Mystery Incorporated, but Scooby, enraged at Professor Pericles, vows to bring the gang back together so that they can continue pursuing him.

I actually enjoyed it; it was quite cute, and for a Scooby Doo show, just a teeny bit dark. Other fun bits: there was an ep where they teamed up with the other Hanna-Barbera ghostbusting teams, which was great, and I hear we'll be seeing the Quest team and Dynomutt this season.

Also the first ghost of season 2 is a fat crying clown in diapers that they call the Manbaby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

This episode of Mystery Inc., "Night Terrors", is loving BATSHIT INSANE.

I just watched the one after that, and I was surprised that not only were Tom and Tub from Hanna Barbara's Moby Dick involved in the story, but they were also retconned into being the kids of the guys from Sealab 2020. The plot involved them exploring _a_ Sealab (probably not the one the show takes place in) which had been taken over by Nazi robots. I'm kind of excited to see the upcoming crossovers with Dynomutt and Johnny Quest.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

raditts posted:

I have to admit I was a little disappointed that the pictures of the previous "4 humans and an animal" groups a couple episodes ago didn't include the Jabberjaw gang, though.

There was an ep where Scooby teamed up with all the old mystery teams that had actual Hanna Barbara shows; it included Jabberjaw. Annoyingly, it turned out to be a dream, but I'll pretend that it's canon. I like the idea that the Funky Phantom was just an actor/special effects artist loving around with some dumb kids

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Suben posted:

Also that episode was awesome. Blue Falcon as a parody of Dark Knight Returns/grimdark style superheroes while Dynomutt is straight up old school Hanna-Barbera goofiness was really good. This show is so great.

Hold on, what's this? I don't know what this is you're referring to.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I knew that Quest and Dynomutt eps were coming but I wasn't prepared to see them in the same ep. I really enjoy how they're retconning all the Hanna Barbara properties together.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The Disney Channel appears to be working on a follow-up to Boy Meets World, "Girl Meets World", starring the daughter of Cory and Topanga. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/boy-meets-world-disney-channel-386190

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

:stare: Say what? Most of the other shows sound decent or better, but drat if that new Batman doesn't sound terrible.

Alfred in the field is kind of weird, but for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure he was an ex-secret agent in BTAS too.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I finally got to see the last bunch of episodes, and I have to say I never thought I'd be watching a Scooby Doo show with any kind of gunfire, let alone one where the supporting cast is completely executed. I'd have preferred it if the evil entity also turned out to be another guy in a suit, but what we got was nevertheless pretty great. It would have been cool to see more of this show, because I'd have loved to see more Hanna-Barbara team ups, but it ended on a pretty great note.

Offhand, I also liked a lot of things about the show, like how they explained why they always encounter kooks in rubber masks, why Scooby can talk, and why the gang is on a seemingly endless road trip most of the time, as well as how they managed to somehow make the story tie in (somewhat) plausibly to Sealab, Dynomutt, Jonny Quest, and Twin loving Peaks.

Edit: Haha, wow, Amy Acker played the dog, the ex-mayor was Gary Cole, and the Man From Another Place was actually voiced by the Man From Another Place?

Argue fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 7, 2013

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I just found this out today: you guys know that Stitch (of Lilo and Stitch) anime that came out in Japan? I had always assumed that it was out of continuity with the movie, but apparently, there was a "reunion" ep, where we find out Stitch left Hawaii because Lilo went off to college, and she didn't come back on the day she promised to see Stitch again. We later find out she couldn't come back because Nani got pregnant and she was taking care of her, and by the time she came back, Stitch had left. They have a tearful reunion, she gives him the collar she made him wear in the movie, and tells him to take care of his new family. :cry: Yeah, that gave me some Toy Story 3 vibes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's too early for me to judge Beware the Batman one way or the other but its environments look horribly sparse and lifeless. At a few points the ground was just a flat textureless plane. That fake Batgirl show actually looks better in that regard; when I first saw it I was actually hoping that it was a real thing they were working on. BtB is breaking MY B&B IMMERSION!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I think someone mentioned this in a different thread but they really need to reboot The Magic Schoolbus as an American clone of Doctor Who.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Goons in the kids' show thread are literally villains from a kids' show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6eYBZHvFG4

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I won't miss the show, but is Disney still doing their weird 65 episode maximum for animated series?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The spread of once-exclusionary knowledge is one of my favorite things about Korra's world! I think it really fits in with the theme of their world becoming more and more globalized, and while the show had problems, I don't think any of them stemmed from that.

Anyway, I get the feeling goons are confusing the quality of the show with the quality of the thread about the show. Apart from the Mako stuff, everyone was pretty positive about season 1 until the bad season finale. Season 2 at least had that Wan two-parter going for it, and as I recall, the Korra thread was pretty upbeat about the quality of seasons 3 and 4. That's a better track record than many shows.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

This is the best song from Hey Arnold (not that it had many)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTGi1QtkE9s

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

The first season of Gargoyles was like 10 episodes or something. Although he is still posting about his imaginary 5 Gargoyles spinoff series and all the seasons of adventures they'll have, including holding back spoilers that might be important.

He actually did get to start on several of his ideas a couple of years ago, in comics, but the publisher didn't renew their license or whatever. So... welp. :v:

The comics started from the first ep of season 3 (the only ep of s3 he wrote before leaving), then he went and just continued his original plan, including time-travelling Brooklyn and that Suicide Squad-ish spinoff of his.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

raditts posted:

Don't forget the crossover episodes with Jonny Quest and Sealab 2020.
I think the most impressive thing about Mystery Inc is how it successfully tied the entire Hanna-Barbera canon into one universe.

My favorite part is how they tied in Dynomutt's origin with Jonny Quest, culminating in the Scooby gang teaming up with a Dark Knight Returns-inspired Blue Falcon to fight Quest villain Dr. Zinn.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

He believed that assassinating the president would get the attention of Jodie Foster, who was in Taxi Driver, a movie featuring an assassination attempt on the president. Also I just found out that guy was released last week.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I would have liked to see them solving mysteries at Miskatonic University and unmasking Cthulhu as Harlan Ellison (or some other famous real author).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Mystery Inc also tied together several Hanna Barbera properties in a pretty fun way. (for instance, in season 2 the Scoobies team up with Blue Falcon and Dynomutt to fight Dr Zinn, the nemesis of the Quest family. Dynomutt himself has his origin tied to the Quests.) And I don't care how that episode ended, the Mystery Team Finals episode is completely canon to me.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Crabtree posted:

Ash's Mom is just glad to have him out of the house and out of her life at this point. Guy's basically dropped out of school to not even be that good of a pokemon trainer. Just another deadbeat in the grass, waiting for some kid to beat him and take his lunchmoney in some random battle.

Ash's mom moved to Alola with him

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZek9PFMYOw

Cool we can get David Tennant talking about Xehanorts and time travels in Kingdom Hearts

Edit: my bad that video was already embedded in the linked article but hey now it's here

Argue fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 16, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Serialized, and with potential appearances from other members of the old programming block? So... is this the new Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc? I'm excited!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The money bin he swims in doesn't contain money for spending! Everything in there is a memory from one of his old Indiana Jonesey adventures! Most of his money is tied up in investments and such, and the hoards of money in his mansion vaults are his "petty cash" for spending. When you see him swimming in the bin, he's not indulging his greed; he's drowning himself in MEMORIES.

I believe as per Don Rosa's stuff, Scrooge kept Duckburg from being affected by the Great Depression, by giving everyone stable well-paying jobs.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

Ducktales coming 8/12. Show intro at the end of this livestream:

https://www.facebook.com/ducktales/videos/1022298801240126

The intro is good.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EURi91Eb6I8

I like that there are several moments in there that parallel the original intro at the same timestamp, like Launchpad's appearance, exploring a dark dungeon, Scrooge with a lot of money, and the mummy chasing them.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Edit: that link I posted was photoshopped; gently caress me, that'll teach me not to verify

Argue fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 16, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Man, I've been reading up on The Lion Guard and it just sounds so bad, even by the standards of Direct-to-TV animated sequels.

So apparently the secondborn of any ruler of the Pride Lands possesses a mystic roar called the Roar of the Elders which summons a ghostly stampede of previous kings. Scar had this power but lost it when he tried to use it to take the crown, and now Simba's son Kion has it.

And apparently they have Mufasa on speed dial now? Because Kion just goes up to a hill seeking advice, goes "Grandfather Mufasa?" and a non-James Earl Jones version of Mufasa's spirit appears in the clouds in a puff of light and goes "yes?"

And apparently the upcoming movie is about the return of Scar, when Kion accidentally uses the power of the Roar of the Elders to resurrect Scar.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The one I really remember is the one with the snail, because Timon said "it's not like we're in France, where snails are considered a delicacy", and I was like "wait... Timon knows what France is?"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Pyrotoad posted:

Didn't they both die? Like the evil lioness' son is crushed by logs and she drowns or something. Then the rest of her pride joins Simba. Who's left to be evil?

The Lion Guard takes place before Lion King 2 (or rather, after the first half of Lion King 2, when Kiara and Kovu meet as cubs); Kiara and Kion are siblings close in age, and Kion just never mentioned to Kiara that he met a black-maned lion cub who said he knew her. As far as I know there is no explanation for Kion's absence from Lion King 2.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Those would be interesting. Not sure they could do gargoyles without Weissman. Darkwater could be rebooted with a good team, I remember that world, especially the dark water itself, being especially strange and terrifying as a child.

They did do Gargoyles without Weisman :v: He's disowned season 3, and when he got to write a comic book continuation, he almost completely ignored it, picking up from the season 3 pilot, which he wrote before leaving. I'd love to see more Gargoyles but Weisman has a knack for plotting long-term stories that are longer than a series can possibly last, and we'd probably end up in the same situation after two or three seasons of a hypothetical reboot.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I keep seeing Sonic Boom clips being shared on Twitter and Facebook and every one of them I clicked was hilarious. Is this a show I should be watching?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm just hoping for any news of Steven Universe, it's been a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tarQx32zGEE

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Dismal Downs is the comic where Scrooge leaves Scotland and moves to Duckburg.

A lot of the names are references to this family tree.

FOWL is from Darkwing Duck.

Castle McDuck, was Scrooge's ancestral home, both in the comics and the original series. In the series, it was haunted by a phantom hound that turned out to be a scare tactic by druids who started living there; all I know about the comics is that Scrooge turned it over to Scottie McDuck, also mentioned in that chart.

Not entirely sure but that photo between Donald and his nephews could be the Phantom Blot.

The Woodchuck Council was like the boy scouts, only cool. In the series, the nephews were members and used the Woodchuck guidebook a bunch. In the comics, Scrooge had a much greater interest in that guidebook, which he was forbidden to read because he was never a Woodchuck. Don Rosa did a comic where the nephews, with the aid of the Junior Woodchuck guidebook, helped him locate the Library of Alexandria, only to discover that all its knowledge was lost to history--except at the end, they realize that all the secrets of the library, over time, were eventually distilled into the modern Junior Woodchuck guidebook.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I just watched it. I thought it was a lot of fun, and I wonder if that's Roxanne from A Goofy Movie as one of the reporters.

Edit: Oh for gently caress's sake the next episode is on September 23?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

When people talk about their favorite scary kids shows, it's usually Are You Afraid of the Dark? or Goosebumps. Both are good, but my favorite was So Weird. It's a shame it ended the way it did.

Are You Afraid of the Dark is probably still my favorite; the scariest one being the one with the x-ray spectacles. Apartment 214 was also pretty scary, I thought, and I loved the ending because she got a ghost friend that she could hang out with anytime she wanted.

I hated Goosebumps; even as a kid I thought the twists at the end were either predictable or corny as heck, and I'd play a game with myself at the bookstore where I'd read the blurb and try to guess the twist.

On the other hand, I really liked So Weird and I was sad that it ended, IIRC, on a cliffhanger. :(

Edit: I looked it up and... it didn't? Possibly the channel I watched it on didn't have enough episodes and just looped back to the start arbitrarily.

Argue fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 14, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I liked the gag on Cow and Chicken where Weasel was filming something and he complained that the script just had his name scribbled over the word Buster, which in turn was scribbled over the word Bugs. I do seem to recall that as a kid I immediately noticed that one episode I saw was straight up a character-swapped Looney Tunes episode.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I only have two complaints about that show:

1. The Mystery Solvers' Convention episode wasn't canon, even within that series.

2. The final bad guy did NOT turn out to be a dude in a rubber costume.

It's still the best Scooby Doo's been IMO, though.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

fractalairduct posted:

I believe the Hercules show also did a crossover with Mulan.

I looked for this and to my great disappointment, there doesn't seem to be anything like this. However, it is part of my headcanon that when Aladdin is taking Jasmine around the world, the Greek gardens they fly through are the same ones Meg sings in, and when he takes Jasmine to the Forbidden City, the fireworks display they're watching is the same fireworks display that started with Mulan defeating Shan Yu.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm really excited to watch 3 new episodes plus a 2 minute leak of those new shows over the next decade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Looks okay for a TV show, but pretty disappointing considering Marvel Rising is supposed to be a feature film--or maybe this is just how they'll look in the shorts? Or maybe it'll just look really fluid in motion?