Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Clarence's teacher looks like the mom in Shin-Chan and I just can't unsee it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I think we need a thread for Clarence because goddamn is this show hilarious. SUPREME COURT SQUAD! :black101:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The usual scuttlebutt is that he wanted it to end with a movie, which he didn't get after the flop of the PPG movie, so SJ didn't get the proper ending it deserved.

That said, if you like Samurai Jack, the current IDW comics series is both a nice read and visually interesting. It's worth checking out.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
On the other hand, Mark Hamill as Kane.

I think my one favorite Megas scene will always be act two of Department of Megas Violations. The fact that the Jersey DMV really is that way is what makes it all the funnier. Plus "Jamie, what's 'right of way?'" and Coop's imagination of what he'll do to the building are great gags.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Dr Christmas posted:

The Duke of Detroit was awesome as well.

Was Downtown, the show he did on MTV, good? I don't remember it too well. He was mad about its cancellation, and you'd see stuff relating to an MTV surrogate get smashed a lot in MegasXLR.

Hell Yeah, the Duke. Dee Snider was the best.

Downtown was all right, it did give us Goat. But it wasn't anything particularly special or memorable. If you like Megas or Motorcity you'll probably like it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Level Slide posted:

All I know about Motorcity is that it looks nice and is about cars and was cancelled. For a cancelled series that is about cars and looks nice, how well does it wrap itself up?

It wraps itself up acceptably for being cancelled. Not as good as it could have been, but good enough. Probably Sym-Bionic Titan level of wrap-up.

The MSJ posted:

I like how Ben 10 subverts some of elements of the child superhero subgenre. Max not only finds out about the Omnitrix in the first episode, he guides Ben on how to use it instead of stopping him (which leads to the twist later in the show). Max and Gwen participate in a lot of the action scenes. They also found a way to make multiple seasons of a cartoon starring 10-year-olds without involving the parents, and I think Ben's parents being non-traditional liberal New Age types was a nice touch (also the fact that Ben is really embarrassed by it).

Grandpa Max Tennyson is the best character on the show and I think he could carry his own series pretty well if they explored his younger days. I always liked the world building and alien stuff in Ben 10, but the plots got repetitive pretty quickly.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Gann Jerrod posted:

The Toy Story of Terror TV special is coming to DVD soon, and they're adding fake commercials where the actual commercials went, including this pitch perfect PSA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i72NOK_5XhM

It's even funnier when you realize Combat Carl is Carl Weathers. I dunno if he's in the short or not, I never saw it on TV, but that's perfect. A perfect parody all around.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Just give Max Tennyson his own show, he was the only real enjoyable part of Ben 10 anyway.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
You can always get it on the Garfield holiday DVD (along with Garfield's Halloween and the eminently forgettable Garfield's Thanksgiving).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Clarence isn't being burned; they just did a Stevenbomb-esque weeklong of premieres and then it's business as usual.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I have a hard time picking between the Daniel Lenard and "Gumball's Dad Gets A Job" episodes as my favorites. They really nail the spirit of the show.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

BioEnchanted posted:

I think I've noticed a contributing factor as to why the new art style for the Powerpuff Girls looks so flat. Uniform line thickness. On the original art for the original series the outlines were much thicker than the lines denoting where clothes begin and end, which themselves were thicker than the lines denoting individual facial features. In the new images they are the exact same width, making it look more 'drawn by a single pencil by a talented fan' than anything.

The piece of promo art also has them all in the same pose, making the same expression. That combined with the lack of line art and stiff, symmetrical poses doesn't inspire confidence. That said, I would have to see actual animation clips before really judging it. There's a lot of decent shows out there with single, boring promo bits.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
What's even worse is they "fixed" a lot of the glaring errors in the Blu-Ray release. It's "eh, we'll fix it in post" taken to its worst extreme.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Here's a teaser for the new Danger Mouse. Luckily enough it's still animated in 2D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dmq13dD47g

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
As far as studios? I don't know. But DM is voiced by Alexander Armstrong (English comedian?) and Penfold by Kevn Edlon.

There's some stunt casting in the show, like Stephen Fry for Colonel K, and John Oliver and Lena Headley were just announced for the cast.

Since it's being produced with the BBC I would presume some British studio would be working on it, but you never know. It'll be distributed on Netflix.

http://www.avclub.com/article/john-oliver-and-lena-headey-lend-their-voices-dang-222196

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 13, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Pretty sure that quote came out way before season 3 started, and the dude's one of four executive producers, so at least he doesn't have that much say, but man that sucks to read every time.

Ciro Nielli is the showrunner, so he has very much importance. Maybe his attitude has changed since then but I haven't really seen any statements of his to the contrary.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

ConanThe3rd posted:

Dumb question but when did things transition from Flash to Toon Boom?

When adobe stopped developing with animation as a priority, which was sometime around 2011. Then active flash was killed entirely two years later.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It hasn't shown up on Netflix here in the US yet, so I'm guessing only the UK folk have seen it yet.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Some of the jokes in the new Scooby were funny but the McFarlane-esque style is a bit off putting.

I like Kate Micucci but does anyone have any idea as to why Mindy Cohn lost out on being Velma again? Especially when all the other VAs came back.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Jack Gladney posted:

Grey Delise has also been replaced after a very long run.

No? She's still playing Daphne.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm amazed the show runners on TTG are the same guys who did Brave and The Bold.

I'm not, that show was brilliant (and also funny).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I churned through it a few years back when it was all up on the tubes. Gargoyles was really ahead of its time. Are most of the later season episodes still in limbo? The DVD order was really cut up from what I can remember.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
If they do what Avatar did, they'll cast Greg Baldwin, who was Mako's Broadway understudy. I hope they don't, as I never really cared for him as Iroh.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

raditts posted:

Unless (and even if) it's supposed to be a direct continuation and not a remake or something, I'd rather they just got someone else entirely. That guy sucked as Iroh.

He did voice Aku in that CN crossover video game whose name I am forgetting, so another likely chip in that pile.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Y-Hat posted:

With Phineas and Ferb over, Gravity Falls about to be over, and Wander Over Yonder's fate being unknown after this season (unless something has come out), will Disney XD's animated fare almost completely consist of Star Wars and Marvel shows from here on out? If that's the case, that would be kinda disappointing.

Star will be back in March. Other than that... There's going to be a new series by the P&F guys, but I don't know when that will be out. And the new DuckTales in 2017.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Mr Interweb posted:

I don't recall seeing much comedy in the series though, aside from that dancing scene, if that counts.

THE HAMMER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEYqj_WG_GE

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Acne Rain posted:

Just... go use the pyf fanart thread. If there isn't one, make one. Giant posts dumping stuff from the web without discussion is what pyf is for.

Ban fanart from the main thread and make a PYF SU fanart thread sounds like a good idea to me.

abraham linksys posted:

I don't really care what forum it ends up as long as someone actually moderates it and it doesn't just get overrun with shitposters

so, uh, not GBS or RGD, I guess

also this

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Alan Young is gonna be a tough act to follow (maybe even harder than replacing Wayne Allwine as Mickey) as he's been voicing Scrooge since I believe the character's first animated appearance. Not sure about the source but I think I remember Launchpad's actor posting something back when the new show was annouced about Disney deciding to hire new actors to voice the characters rather than getting the old group back together (he seemed kind of disappointed about it too as he was perfectly willing to come back).

Ed: Found it: http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/news/Ducktales-Cast-not-Returning-for-Reboot/

Alan Young is a treasure, but I would not be upset if they recast an almost centenarian actor. It's one thing to do a one-off game, it's another deal entirely to go back in to a series. Kinda bummed to hear that they're not bringing everyone back, though. I would be surprised if they recast Donald or the boys, since those have the whole corporate synergy thing going on. But I don't think they've even announced any final cast members yet.

There were two animated things where Young did not provide the voice of Scrooge. Scrooge McDuck and Money and Sport Goofy (a kind of proto-Ducktales) both had different actors playing Scrooge.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Man, Frankenstein Junior's really riffing on The Iron Giant there.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
code:
And I say to myself

I need exact change

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Gann Jerrod posted:

I wonder if they're going to get a new VO for Scrooge, considering that Alan Young is nearly 100 years old.

Everybody's getting recast, so sayeth Terry McGovern (the old voice of Launchpad).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It would make sense to recast the centenarians (Young, June Foray) but Terry McGovern is not that old, and neither is Russi Taylor (the voice of the boys and Webby and who's been doing Minnie in the new Mickey shorts). If they want to go in a completely new direction, that's their prerogative, but it's interesting how it hadn't gotten any traction versus the PPG casting controversy.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The best explanation of the Powerpuff saltiness I heard was by Liz Daily (Buttercup) on Rob Paulsen's Talkin' Toons. The TL:DL is something like this:

1. They did the 2012 special for scale/low pay on the promise that it would be used to get the series going again.

2. They (EG Daily, Tara, Cathy) were not invited to audition.

3. They found about the recasting when regular people did (when the reboot was announced).

4. They don't hold anything against the new voice cast.

5. Other original voices are being brought back (Tom Kenny, Roger Jackson, and so on).

That said VAing is a very insular business, but I can totally get why. Directors like working with people they know can do the job without loving up. Doesn't make being insular right, but it does explain it. With the advent of home studios and the internet it's opening up slowly, but due to acting unions it'll always be a bit more limited.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Quest For Glory II posted:

The first episode of Powerpuff Girls 2016 is on iTunes for free, I think when the show finds its stride it's gonna be pretty good

Also coming out on TV on April 4. Which is good for me, since that's my birthday. :toot:

El Tortuga posted:

Even as a Community fan, Gravity Falls was the roughest relationship I've ever had with a show. A calender year between seasons one and two was unbearable.

Do you watch The Venture Bros?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Senerio posted:

I really like this image, because it basically sums up the character dynamics in like 2 seconds in the theme song.

I watched some of this last night, it wasn't bad. It's like if Sailor Moon and Spider-Man had a kid. It felt very formulaic, but it was generally funny and had some good animation bits despite being on a budget. The finale episodes were pretty interesting, if they decide to make it a more serialized WITCH-style show in the second season, it would be a good way for the show to move forward.

Senerio posted:

The first season finale of Miraculous Ladybug came out in Canada. It was a solid episode, and the cliffhanger makes me really want to see season 2. It also had my new favorite gif:

As a result of this, I also watched the origin episodes, which aired earlier than that in Canada, but were apparently supposed to be the final episodes. They were really neat too.

(This scene is adorable in context)

Overall, I'd say it's a fun season of television, and I really liked both of the main characters.

And yes, it's very GIFable.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Senerio posted:

To be fair, the finale kinda leads into a concept that could result in a more serialized result.

It could also result in a new status quo for each episode to work from.

Hoping for the former, but the latter wouldn't be the worst thing.

Yeah, absolutely. The last three episodes were by far the best. Even the formulaic episodes weren't really bad; it just felt a bit "Oh yeah, I see how this works" because a non-kid viewer is already genre savvy enough to see what they're drawing from and referencing. Kids won't get tired of the formula for a much longer period of time. It is not much unlike Sailor Moon in that regard, because that took a while to really shake up its formula. I think what kept that from going stale even though it was very formulaic (in the first show, at least) was its constant introduction of new teammembers and character specific episodes. If they go that route Miraculous won't get stale.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/03/24/first-look-netflix-voltron-animated-series/82174790/

Dreamworks is bringing the anime into Voltron. Look like it'll be interesting and at the very least GORGEOUS.

Joaquin Dos Santos is a very good sign, that guy is an excellent director.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Today's Powerpuffs had a cameo from none other than Jon Miller, the baseball broadcaster. Someone on the production team is a Giants fan.

Honestly the show has some positive bits but it's just so punishingly average or bad otherwise. I actually really dig a lot of the background painting, but it belongs on some other show. I'm also OK with the way they play with the girls' facial expressions. But rounding off the professor? That can't stand. :mad:

"Going through the motions" sounds right. There hasn't been anything outstanding or worthwhile yet. I'm OK with reboots usually (and I love Teen Titans Go) but why spend money on a middling retread when you could be putting out more great new material like We Bare Bears or Steven Universe?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Neeksy posted:

They have been spending money on those, though. They've been renewed for other seasons. PPG isn't taking money away from those projects, if anything it's taking money from other potential pilots being made into series.

That's what I meant. New projects that are in the vein of their current successes, in that they give talented creators a chance to put something new out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The third season of SM: Crystal has actually turned around quite a bit. It's like a completely different show. I gave up very early on at just how bad the animation was in S1. The first S3 eps were eminently watchable.