Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Anyone going to Shambhala? Nice looking lineup of dubstep, drum & bass and glitch hop at the Village this year:

I made a thread about the fest in Goon Meets as well, hit it up if you're going: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298747&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post376140362

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonny righteous
Oct 31, 2006
trouser.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Speaking of High Contrast remixes, this is brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PR8E3NYRXU

This is amazing. I'm hearing some really good stuff thanks to this thread.

My all time favourites:

Aphrodite - Lava flow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS5uFtef3p4
just before the 2 minute mark

J Majik - Solarize
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPXWGjvXXqs

rustyw
Nov 27, 2005
I'm really into Rockwell and Alix Perez, I like this new stuff (Rockwell's mix on DNB TV was good, and I like Alix Perez's latest tune The Observer a lot). Got any more recommendations for me?

etard knievel posted:

That is the ugliest event poster I have ever seen

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Anyone gonna see Bassnectar in San Diego on June 5th?

http://resetfest.com/

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

rustyw posted:

I'm really into Rockwell and Alix Perez, I like this new stuff (Rockwell's mix on DNB TV was good, and I like Alix Perez's latest tune The Observer a lot). Got any more recommendations for me?

Sabre, Icicle, System, Code 3 and Ulterior Motive. You might like Stray and Triad too.

Also keep an ear open for Hybris, a friend of mine who moved from DC to Prague a few years ago. He used to go by Evancipation and was part of Robot Death Squad. He has a single coming out on Critical's new sub-label, Modulations.

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

I was allowed this account on the condition that I never post.

Hex Darkstar posted:

New Panacea is out there currently, "Chiropteran" is the name. Not really sure about it i've given it a listen I don't hate it but I don't love it either.

I like it.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
Hook me up with some dancehall/ragga flavored Jungle. I heard that's how jungle got started in the first place, and I been listening to tons of Buju Banton lately. I'd love some jungle with riddims and toasting. :)

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

Koo Koo Ka-Chaw Koo Koo Ka-Chaw

dethkon posted:

Hook me up with some dancehall/ragga flavored Jungle. I heard that's how jungle got started in the first place, and I been listening to tons of Buju Banton lately. I'd love some jungle with riddims and toasting. :)

Tester has a ton of stuff from his label available for download here.

I haven't listened to ragga in a while, but here are some older choons that are pretty classic...

Rhygin - Destroy Dem

Sixteenarmedjack - Mash Up The Place

Jahba & Sumone - Informa Fi Dead

Remarc - Sound Murderer

And of course Shy FX - Original Nutta

Other artists to check out are Krinjah, Debaser, Twinhooker, Paulie Walnuts, and everything on this site http://www.ragga-jungle.com/

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

dethkon posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3050117

this thread has a ton of great old school, new school, and ragga jungle.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

EMUpirate posted:

I haven't listened to ragga in a while, but here are some older choons that are pretty classic...

Rhygin - Destroy Dem

Remarc - Sound Murderer

Other artists to check out are Krinjah, Debaser, Twinhooker, Paulie Walnuts, and everything on this site http://www.ragga-jungle.com/

Also Liondub, the guy played a well good set at Sub Dub this weekend.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

BRRAAAP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YBcjBQLnZE

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

Neurophonic posted:

Also Liondub, the guy played a well good set at Sub Dub this weekend.

I hate I haven't gotten a chance to see him in action. Last I remember (like two years ago or more) he formed Big Tune Records with Tester.

Now ear' dis...
Renegade - Terrorist

Does anybody still have Konkrete Jungle events in their city?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Dramatika posted:

Can anyone recommend some good mixes? I'm specifically looking for darker dirtier style stuff. I usually listen to dubstep, but I've always been a little interested in DnB, just never knew where to start.

Get a DJ Hype mix. I'd say one of those Dubplate Killaz sets might be an excellent intro

EMUpirate posted:

I hate I haven't gotten a chance to see him in action.
Me either. I always forget about them until after.

quote:

I can never go out in NYC they're on Wednesday or something.

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

ManoliIsFat posted:

I can never go out in NYC they're on Wednesday or something.

Are there any weekend events in NYC? Just moved up here thinking 'Ahh it would be so cool to find DnB on a Friday night, surely in NYC...' Well, no luck so far.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Ya, there's a bunch of little stuff all over. Check Resident Advisor or something. I just get random facebook invites and I don't know how I ended up on their lists, so I'm not the best person to ask.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Help.

I've gotten the itch to just start following the scene again. I was a pretty busy regional DJ from about 01 to 05 or so, then a girl came by and I've been distracted since.

What powers the scene/new tracks now? Are there any good dnb blogs that are worth following (for tracks/promos/previews, etc, I have 9157578541817 mix sets and don't need any more)?

And finally, what are the prospects of a dj who played heavily out of a: GLR and some stateside intel (also, does that vibe still exist or did everybodyg go glitch), b: late 90's and early 01 neurofunk, lots of virus + bad company type stuff, and c: tech itch/dom+ roland style stuff? I quit when Pendulum exploded. I hate all that poo poo. JUST STICK TO THE WHITE KEYS AND TURN UP THE COMP RATIO EH. Maybe I'm bitter.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

EMUpirate posted:

DC's second run of the name is wrapping up in a week or so, but the guys that ran it are going to continue doing a dnb/dubstep night at the same venue, same consistancy, just a different name. The main Konkrete was hitting them up for dues (something like $100 a month to use the name), and the guys in DC were doing the party as a free event for over the past year.

There is a Konkrete Jungle Baltimore too, but those line-ups look fairly different from the DC ones, and different people are running that.

Jonny 290 posted:

What powers the scene/new tracks now? Are there any good dnb blogs that are worth following (for tracks/promos/previews, etc, I have 9157578541817 mix sets and don't need any more)?

Check out Dubplate Digest (http://www.dubplatedigest.net/). DnB Arena and DOA are still around, but I don't know how good DnB Arena is.

Also, Blame and Matrix make dance floor tunes, and dBridge is very avant garde & experimental.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ManoliIsFat posted:

Get a DJ Hype mix. I'd say one of those Dubplate Killaz sets might be an excellent intro

Seconding Dubplate Killaz, specifically volume one. Back when I started getting into D&B this was one of the first mixes I listened to and it really sparked my interest.

Edit: what is everyones opinion on MCs when it comes to D&B? I've heard some good ones but I've also heard some awful ones.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 4, 2010

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

cheese-cube posted:

Seconding Dubplate Killaz, specifically volume one. Back when I started getting into D&B this was one of the first mixes I listened to and it really sparked my interest.

Edit: what is everyones opinion on MCs when it comes to D&B? I've heard some good ones but I've also heard some awful ones.

MC's are like the effects button on a Pioneer 600. If it sticks out like a sore thumb, you're overusing it.

Actually with the Pioneer effects button, if you touch it at all, you're overusing it, but you get the gist of what i'm sayin.

I can't listen to Dieselboy mixes any more because of his flanger humping.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Immunize was played last night on Zane Lowe's Drum n Bass Takeover. For those not in the know, it's the collaboration between Pendulum and Liam Howlett of The Prodigy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pF3w10FYHs

It's loving naughty.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dell_Zincht posted:

Immunize was played last night on Zane Lowe's Drum n Bass Takeover. For those not in the know, it's the collaboration between Pendulum and Liam Howlett of The Prodigy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pF3w10FYHs

It's loving naughty.

loving NICE. This should silence the naysayers.

Also, this is probably my most anticipated album of the entire year. I've loved their first two albums for years, and everything I've heard off Immersion so far points to it being loving stellar.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

It's definitely my most anticipated album of 2010, I'm really looking forward to hearing the studio version of Ransom, that track has been the one I keep going back to the most.

EDIT - Just realised Ransom's been taken off the album. Gutted :(

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 4, 2010

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Apparently Steven Wilson (of Porcupine Tree) and In Flames will also be making appearances on that album. You'd think by now I'd be used to weird Steven Wilson collaborations...

Hex Darkstar
May 28, 2004

I think I need another liver transplant.

Incoherence posted:

Apparently Steven Wilson (of Porcupine Tree) and In Flames will also be making appearances on that album. You'd think by now I'd be used to weird Steven Wilson collaborations...

Oh my...I can't wait to hear this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Incoherence posted:

I read that on their Wiki the other day and was wondering how the hell that would come out. I don't think there are any versions out yet to sample, though.

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

Wait what? Am I still in the drum and bass thread?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I read that on their Wiki the other day and was wondering how the hell that would come out. I don't think there are any versions out yet to sample, though.

Have a three second teaser of the chorus. The song will be called Self Versus Self, by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK-Zq_RQlPo

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

EMUpirate posted:

Wait what? Am I still in the drum and bass thread?

So not-rude

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

cheese-cube posted:

Holy crap did you just diss Dynamite MC? This is no where close to awful, this is some of the least lame mcing you'll ever hear. This isn't even like off-the-dome, mcing-in-the-rave kinda MCing. That's where you'll find really awful mcing. Dynamite MC is a legend

I think MCing is essential dnb stuff and think you gotta open up to it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dell_Zincht posted:

Have a three second teaser of the chorus. The song will be called Self Versus Self, by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK-Zq_RQlPo

Well that was....something :monocle:

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!

Dell_Zincht posted:

EDIT - Just realised Ransom's been taken off the album. Gutted :(

Really? This is horrible news :(

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

EMUpirate posted:

Rhygin - Destroy Dem

Remarc - Sound Murderer

chrix posted:

BRRAAAP
BAM BAM

Thank you, my new friends! Informa fi Dead and Bam Bam are my favs, I love those riddims. Oh, and I found this lurking ragga-jungle.com:

quote:

JUNGLE ARE DI BADDEST SOUND INNA DI WORLD OF MUSIC> NUFF POP TING AH GWAAN. NUFF RAP TING AH GWAAN> NUFF ALL OTHER SORTS AH REY REY AH GWAAN BUT JUNGLE MUSIC ARE DI ROUGHEST GUNARK IN ALL DI SOUND FORMS. FI REAL! 96 - 99, YOU AH NEVER HEAR DEM SOUNDS BEFORE INNA YA LIFE, AND YOU AH NEVER HEAR DEM AGAIN.

EMUpirate
Oct 30, 2002

cheese-cube posted:

Echo'ing Manoli, there are a lot of really bad MC's at local or rave events. I've been to quite a few shows where the MC didn't know when to shut up and would throw some random lines at really odd times then run around like he was a bad rear end. The pro's know the right time to get everybody hyped up and when to shut up. Also your example is kinda strange, do you just mean vocals in dnb period? or vocals by MC's? I'm by no means in the "everything high contrast touches is gold" crowd, but High Society is a great tune. To get it out of the way, I enjoy High Contrast album material, his whitelabels and remixes just sound so darn...poppy? Maybe that's the point though, whatever though.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

For gently caress's sake can we please not allow this thread to go the same way the electro/synth thread always does?

DnB has gone mainstream. Get over it.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Dell_Zincht posted:

For gently caress's sake can we please not allow this thread to go the same way the electro/synth thread always does?

DnB has gone mainstream. Get over it.

Its hardly mainstream just because one group which sounds nothing like any other dnb got into the charts ... I don't think anyones annoyed that its mainstream, more the fact its really bad music. Andy C - Body Rock got in the charts back in the day and its considered a pretty good tune, and as stated by EMUpirate High Contrast is very poppy and mainstream yet is well respected by most dnb fans. If they stop attempting to 'sing' or at least get someone else to do it, and stop reusing that same loving identical breakbeat over and over then it would be a bit better at least.

Btw EMUpirate if you want ridiclous clownstep Nightwalker is the worst: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp8Oz4wrE9Y

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

I was allowed this account on the condition that I never post.

EMUpirate posted:

I hate I haven't gotten a chance to see him in action. Last I remember (like two years ago or more) he formed Big Tune Records with Tester.

Now ear' dis...
Renegade - Terrorist

They just started up recently in Ottawa, and they've really brought the Jungle/D+B scene together.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

EMUpirate posted:

Echo'ing Manoli, there are a lot of really bad MC's at local or rave events. I've been to quite a few shows where the MC didn't know when to shut up and would throw some random lines at really odd times then run around like he was a bad rear end. The pro's know the right time to get everybody hyped up and when to shut up. Also your example is kinda strange, do you just mean vocals in dnb period? or vocals by MC's? I'm by no means in the "everything high contrast touches is gold" crowd, but High Society is a great tune. To get it out of the way, I enjoy High Contrast album material, his whitelabels and remixes just sound so darn...poppy? Maybe that's the point though, whatever though.

Yeah my example wasn't that good that song just sticks out in my mind whenever I think of MC's. Dynamite MC is pretty good however the actual lyrics in High Society were pretty daft.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Like THIS is substandard MCing and I still think it rules

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Z6dqOwiqA

MTM_F-
May 4, 2010

I am an alien and we are not the same
I am amazing and you're just lame

:doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
live, the only time i can't stand MCs is when they're going at 500 words per minute, only stop to breath every 30 seconds, and you can't tell what the gently caress is happening.

other than that, assuming they know when to shut up, even average MCs are good for adding a bit of texture to a breakdown, or when you've been dancing to big rollers for thirty minutes straight and just want that random human element somewhere.