Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dog-Broccoli Gambit
Jan 19, 2004

feedtheid posted:

The only issue with the new lp is that it sounds like seven of fifteen tracks have the same drum break (I have no idea if I'm using this terminology correctly - the basic drum beat in the song) that pendulum used for most of HYC. That's frustrating, but the longer the album goes on, the less frequent it gets. Not to say the early songs in the tracklist don't sound good, but they DO sound very samey because of extremely similar beats.

Thats a two step beat, you're going to find 98% of drum and bass has that beat. The other 2% is either half-step or ambient/experimental dnb like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O6WEVIntEw

Not really looking forward to this album, way too much cheese and Rob Swire needs to back the gently caress off from the microphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
It also has the exact same tone as a ton of other pendulum songs. The beat is pretty much identical to the others, not just in rhythm.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

The Dog-Broccoli Gambit posted:

Thats a two step beat, you're going to find 98% of drum and bass has that beat. The other 2% is either half-step or ambient/experimental dnb like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O6WEVIntEw

Pendulum drum breaks do not represent 98% of the beats used in dnb. They may represent 98% of the visibility to some of you, but there are much deeper drum breaks and beats that are represented by the spectrum of dnb than what you will hear on a Pendulum album.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

My latest drum'n'bass mix for Expansion Broadcast / EXBC, did this about a week ago.

quote:

"Most of the tracks on it were requested by my friend Todd, a buddy of mine from college that used to go to a lot of drum’n'bass events with me, and even traveled to SF a few times when I went out there to play some gigs & hang out. And then I picked out a couple other older tunes that I thought he might have dug or just forgot about, and stitched it all together"

EXBC Podcast #235: Harry Ransom - Gunsound Volume One (May 2010) [drum'n'bass / old tech step]
download: http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/exbc0235_2010-05-09_harry_ransom.mp3
stream: http://www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/235/

Tracklist
01. Konflict – “The Beckoning” (Renegade Hardware [RH2000LP] – ‘Armageddon’ LP- 1999)
02. Future Cut & Marcus Intalex – “Plastic” (Renegade Hardware [RH18] – ‘Three The Hardway: Vol. 1′ EP – 1998)
03. DJ Loxy & Usual Suspects – “Stalker” (Renegade Hardware [RH21] – 1999)
04.. Dylan & Facs – “Hairpie” (Biotic [BIO001] – 1999)
05. Hive & Juju – “Ghettobird” (Violence Recordings [VIO003] – 2002)
06. Universal Project – “Soundclash” (True Playaz [TPR12032] – ‘The Soundclash’ EP – 2001)
07. Kemal – “Bleed” (Negative [NTV001] – 2000)
08. Arkane – “Fever” (Underfire [UDFRLP02] – ‘Blazin” LP – 1999)
09. Ryme Tyme – “Frogger” (1210 Recordings [1210CD01] – ‘Rymetyme’ LP – 2001)
10. Trace & Optical – “Sphere” (Prototype Recordings [PRO012] – 1998)
11. Bad Company & Matrix – “Jellyfish” (Bad Company Recordings [VDBCR002] – ‘The Fear’ EP – 1999)
12. Bulletproof – “Nephelim (Konflict Remix)” (Cyanide Recordings [CYAN001] – 2001)
13. Usual Suspects – “Shrapnel (Stakka & Skynet Remix)” (Renegade Hardware [RH27] – ‘Syndrome’ EP – 2000)
14. Outfit – “New York” (Metro Recordings [MTRR005] – 1999)
15. Dom & Roland – “Thunder” (Moving Shadow [ASHADOW16CD] – ‘Industry’ LP – 1998)
16. Fresh & Vegas – “Forgotten” (BC Recordings [BCUK001CDR] – ‘Inside The Machine’ LP – 2000)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I've always loved your stuff subfries, downloading now.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

SUBFRIES posted:

My latest drum'n'bass mix for Expansion Broadcast / EXBC, did this about a week ago.

EXBC Podcast #235: Harry Ransom - Gunsound Volume One (May 2010) [drum'n'bass / old tech step]
download: http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/exbc0235_2010-05-09_harry_ransom.mp3

Tracklist
01. Konflict – “The Beckoning” (Renegade Hardware [RH2000LP] – ‘Armageddon’ LP- 1999)
02. Future Cut & Marcus Intalex – “Plastic” (Renegade Hardware [RH18] – ‘Three The Hardway: Vol. 1′ EP – 1998)
06. Universal Project – “Soundclash” (True Playaz [TPR12032] – ‘The Soundclash’ EP – 2001)
11. Bad Company & Matrix – “Jellyfish” (Bad Company Recordings [VDBCR002] – ‘The Fear’ EP – 1999)
12. Bulletproof – “Nephelim (Konflict Remix)” (Cyanide Recordings [CYAN001] – 2001)
13. Usual Suspects – “Shrapnel (Stakka & Skynet Remix)” (Renegade Hardware [RH27] – ‘Syndrome’ EP – 2000)
15. Dom & Roland – “Thunder” (Moving Shadow [ASHADOW16CD] – ‘Industry’ LP – 1998)
16. Fresh & Vegas – “Forgotten” (BC Recordings [BCUK001CDR] – ‘Inside The Machine’ LP – 2000)

I'm new to this thread so I'm not really exposed to your stuff, but downloading because of the album art.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

feedtheid posted:

It also has the exact same tone as a ton of other pendulum songs. The beat is pretty much identical to the others, not just in rhythm.

Ya, they use that thud-y snare (well, layer of snares really) on every single track. It's beyond a "production signature" now, its nearly a joke. Its not just like "oh, everyone uses the same drum breaks", this is different.

SUBFRIES posted:

Tracklist

oooooh man check that tracklist. I love me some late 90s/early 2000s dnb I can't wait for this!

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

ManoliIsFat posted:

oooooh man check that tracklist. I love me some late 90s/early 2000s dnb I can't wait for this!

I have one or two other mixes like this online, if you want links, although the other ones I think are more mid to late 90s stuff. This one was 80% requests from an old college buddy who quit following dnb in 2002.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Welp, Immersion has leaked, and it's not the crappy version from a few days ago with the Matter preview material included.

All i'll say is it's pretty much what I expected, and I don't regret pre-ordering the deluxe edition.

Someone in the band really needs to tell Rob to stop singing, though.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 17, 2010

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
I don't know, I kind of like Rob's vocals - at least in Hold Your Colour and In Silico (especially on the tracks Hold Your Colour, Propane Nightmares, Different, Grante, and The Tempest). I haven't heard a good enough copy of Immersion yet to pass judgment on the new vocals, though. I really like the vocals on The Fountain.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

SUBFRIES posted:

Tracklist

Ok yeah, ALL OVER THIS. If you claim you're a fan of drum and bass, then you need to check this out or I will personally take away your dnb card. This is classic techstep, back when it didn't need to be over the top.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dell_Zincht posted:

Welp, Immersion has leaked, and it's not the crappy version from a few days ago with the Matter preview material included.

All i'll say is it's pretty much what I expected, and I don't regret pre-ordering the deluxe edition.

Someone in the band really needs to tell Rob to stop singing, though.

Haha there's no point in getting a leak of this since it comes out a week from today. And because I've already heard a minute of each song. That's enough to tease me until next Monday when I can have the retail CD in my car.

My only question: Does The Island Part One sound as fruity on the album as that track's YouTube preview led me to believe?

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Haha there's no point in getting a leak of this since it comes out a week from today. And because I've already heard a minute of each song. That's enough to tease me until next Monday when I can have the retail CD in my car.

My only question: Does The Island Part One sound as fruity on the album as that track's YouTube preview led me to believe?

Yes. But Part Two more than makes up for it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

VolumeOverTalent posted:

Yes. But Part Two more than makes up for it.

Oh no doubt :)

Listening to the previews, when I got to part 1, all I could think was "what is this poo poo?", then part 2 came on and that immediately changed to "gently caress YEAHHHHH"

I can't wait to listen to this album from start to finish!

Roil
May 4, 2010

Alman posted:

Official Pendulum preview is up on youtube - about a minute of each track:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pendulumlive#g/c/85035BB4B0B2946F

Can't wait for this

Wow...again I'm not surprised that this album is really bad. There's 3 songs on there out of all of them that I would listen to. The rest of it is extremely throwaway. Only ones I dug were: Set me on fire, Island pt 2, and The Fountain. I realllllllllllly want to send rob an IM and tell them to get a new drum break to use because how loving lazy can you be to use the same break for 90% of your songs through 2 albums?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oh no doubt :)

Listening to the previews, when I got to part 1, all I could think was "what is this poo poo?", then part 2 came on and that immediately changed to "gently caress YEAHHHHH"

I can't wait to listen to this album from start to finish!

Part I and Part II together sound really loving awesome though, they flow into each other really well and the refrain from I in Part II works really well.

Self Versus Self sounds nothing like a Pendulum track at all, it's really going to alienate most Pendulum fans. Not me though, I dig it (not just as a metal fan, either.)

The same drum break in every song *is* very noticeable, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't mind their drums at all, and I could probably listen to them forever and not get tired of them.

But I guess I'm just a Pendulum fanboy :shobon:

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

But I guess I'm just a Pendulum fanboy :shobon:

Yep, me too. :)

Ever since hearing the Essential Mix on Radio One, they've been one of my favourite artists, and I love how they have evolved into the band they are today.

The new album is incredible, just as I expected it to be. After a few listens, my favourite tracks so far are 'Under The Waves', 'Witchcraft', 'The Fountain' and 'The Island Part II'. There's not really any tracks that I don't like, to be honest. I can't wait to hear it in high quality on Monday.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

I know Pendulum is the big thing in DNB right now, but you guys should probably make a thread for their new album. ;)

Before anyone gets uppity, I actually own a few 12" of Pendulum (Vault/Ulterior Motive/Spiral and Back 2 You/Fade to Grey). I even played Salt in the Wounds at a gig last Friday. I can recognize that they fit the category of dnb, but you guys are taking over this new thread. Every time I check this thread because I think people are commenting on dnb, it's another comment about the new album.

chrix fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 17, 2010

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They're one of the biggest DNB acts, though. Giving them a seperate thread would be like giving every metal or hardcore or dubstep act their own thread every time one releases a new album. It's just not necessary since the respective genres all have their own active megathreads.

This will die down once everyone has their fill of the new album, but for now, it's a pretty big event as far as mainstream DNB goes.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

I fell in love with Pendulum the first time I heard Slam five years ago, but I just don't know what to make of this album. I really don't know what to make of everyone talking about this album in the DnB thread. Pendulum is so far from DnB now it's unreal. The Island I&II are loving house (Part two would be right at home in an electro house DJ set). The rest is just Rock n Bass or songs trying to be Slam. I'm so disappointed its unreal.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Nobody is claiming Pendulum ARE DnB, but they started out DnB and you can't create an entirely new thread just for the release of one album.

There isn't a single DnB song on the whole of Immersion, I don't think you'll find anybody disputing that fact. But talking about it in the Electro/Synth thread probably wouldn't go down too well.

Personally, i'm not at all disappointed with Immersion, but then again, I wasn't expecting a DnB album like some of you seem to have been.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Dell_Zincht posted:

There isn't a single DnB song on the whole of Immersion, I don't think you'll find anybody disputing that fact. But talking about it in the Electro/Synth thread probably wouldn't go down too well.

Personally, i'm not at all disappointed with Immersion, but then again, I wasn't expecting a DnB album like some of you seem to have been.

This is my point. We're in the DnB thread.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

They're one of the biggest DNB acts,
Well ya, for like 100k people raves, ya. But, like, heads don't spend their days talking about Pendulum. It's like, if in the punk thread people talked about Blink 182 all day. Some people would ask them to make a new thread.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Nobody is claiming Pendulum ARE DnB, but they started out DnB and you can't create an entirely new thread just for the release of one album.
The rockers get to do it. Don't let them best you! (Rudie can't fail)

Roil
May 4, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

Actually The Fountain sounds like something that Hospital circa 07/08 would put out and imo it's the best track (DNB wise) on the entire album - really the only one worth talking about.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Somehow I ended up listening to the leak of Immersion anyway. The leak is low quality for the most part, so I can't exactly judge the album correctly based on that. But I will say that aside from a few throwaway tracks, it's very promising.

I had to pre-order it from HMV and get it shipped to me via air mail because it doesn't appear to be up on US stores' sites yet. Amazon has the import copy listed, but that's it. And that's $36. With shipping from HMV, I think mine came out to around $19.

Just a heads-up for anyone outside the UK who wants to buy this on release day. I'm not sure if it'll be in big box stores on Monday when it comes out, so I took the guaranteed route.

I'm also getting new car speakers installed just in time to listen to this bad boy :3:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Roil posted:

Actually The Fountain sounds like something that Hospital circa 07/08 would put out and imo it's the best track (DNB wise) on the entire album - really the only one worth talking about.

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7GZV0mTvNU ? Really? It the guy from loving Porcupine Tree singing some inane inspirational lyrics over a loving limp beat and completely awful synths. Like, the break actually sounds completely off at times. And more than just being a terrible track, it's utterly undanceable, not a dnb song in any way. I'd be actually embarrassed if someone caught me listening to this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HAI posted:

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7GZV0mTvNU ? Really? It the guy from loving Porcupine Tree singing some inane inspirational lyrics over a loving limp beat and completely awful synths. Like, the break actually sounds completely off at times. And more than just being a terrible track, it's utterly undanceable, not a dnb song in any way. I'd be actually embarrassed if someone caught me listening to this.

Yeah, this is probably my least favorite song on the album. Or tied with The Island Part 1 for that, at least. (I realized earlier when I was listening to the leak that The Island Part 1 is like an electronic version of What Sarah Said by Death Cab For Cutie, or any number of mediocre ATB tracks really. That completely ruined it for me.)

I love Porcupine Tree and I love Pendulum, but they really don't go well together at all. I don't know which one of them thought collaborating would be a good idea, but whoever it is was wrong.

Self Vs Self (the In Flames collaboration track) on the other hand, that's hilarious and kind of awesome in a gimmicky sort of way. It's basically a metal song with some typical Pendulum beats and Rob singing the non-screaming vocal parts.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 19, 2010

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

HAI posted:

He probably made the Hospital records comparison because (as a billion other people have pointed out) "The Fountain" sounds similar to "Just One Second."

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Self Vs Self (the In Flames collaboration track) on the other hand, that's hilarious and kind of awesome in a gimmicky sort of way. It's basically a metal song with some typical Pendulum beats and Rob singing the non-screaming vocal parts.

Are we listening to the same metal, because the track sure sounds a lot more like lovely emo hardcore than anything metal.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

pokecapn posted:

Are we listening to the same metal, because the track sure sounds a lot more like lovely emo hardcore than anything metal.

You know what I mean. It's completely generic, but gets taken to a new level of ridiculousness with Pendulum's signature breaks and Rob singing over parts of it.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

You know what I mean. It's completely generic, but gets taken to a new level of ridiculousness with Pendulum's signature breaks and Rob singing over parts of it.

Hate to nitpick, but it's wrong to call a bunch off one of drum samples "breaks".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tough crowd!

Alright, how 'bout I just say that Self vs. Self is stupid fun and leave it at that?

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Ok to move away from Pendulum discussion some new 12" releases that are good imo, Culture Shock on Ram Records and Kabuki on V Recordings, all 4 tracks pretty nice check them out. All the lighter side of dnb though.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
If anybody fancies something that sounds a little like pre/during HYC Pendulum stuff, check out this release:
http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=BRD005

Not sure about it yet myself, waiting to hear it on a big system.

funkybluntster
Jan 23, 2005
Junglist

Foiltha posted:

I'm sort of new to drum n bass and really prefer the laid back, atmospheric stuff more. Tracks like this:

Seba - Planetary Funk Alert (absolutely awesome):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBq0riH_E6s#t=300

Big Bud - Soul Food:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14H-ChYYg10

Flytronix - Rhode Tune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnZxYHKy7_s

Anyone got any suggestions? I've already binged through LTJ Bukem's stuff.

On a side note to this, Jojo Mayer is the poo poo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psScSXzqgy0

Check out Calibre & Marcus Intalex, two of my favourite artists in a similar vein.

The Chemical Records link up there ^^^ is a good place to check out clips.

Calibre also recently released a downtempo album under his real name (Dominick Martin) and sings on it too. Admittedly his vocals are about on par with Pendulums but the music is lush.

Here's a sample...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zyqj49FuJ0&feature=PlayList&p=2FA2A88430B46364&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=1

Mexican Samurai
Nov 12, 2005
I for one thought that Immersion was pretty good, I pretty much like the songs that everyone else likes (set me on fire, island part 2, witchcraft).

But, we should probably get back to talking about actual Drum & Bass. Does anyone know of any other Liquid Funk songs that has a heavy use of strings that is not Blame song?

LAOS - We All

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvO_VugWRYU

High Contrast - Forever and a Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5gVknqZ4ZA

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I found a track last night that I hadn't heard before, Sub Focus' remix of Rusko's "Hold On" featuring Amber Coffman.

It sounds like a really awesome Sub Focus track with some hip-hop beats thrown in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI2b7qXUlnE

MTM_F-
May 4, 2010

Can anyone direct me to things similar to this? Less synth more drum :shobon:

edit: guess I'll post these while I'm at it

Cyantific - Hong Kong Express
Subsonik & Kiro - Hold On

MTM_F- fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Mexican Samurai posted:

I for one thought that Immersion was pretty good, I pretty much like the songs that everyone else likes (set me on fire, island part 2, witchcraft).

But, we should probably get back to talking about actual Drum & Bass. Does anyone know of any other Liquid Funk songs that has a heavy use of strings that is not Blame song?

LAOS - We All

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvO_VugWRYU

High Contrast - Forever and a Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5gVknqZ4ZA

Maybe my favourite dnb song ever, High Contrast - Racing Green but maybe you knew that one already. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6wuKrqPgmQ

Cyantific - Riviera http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLtms47KT9w

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 22, 2010