Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Christ I don't know why I didn't think to look for a DnB thread on SA before. I've been on the fringe of the genre of the longest time. I grew up with the go-to names like Bukem and Photek but reading through this thread has put a few more albums on my to-buy wishlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh huh, that's ten minutes from my house and I haven't been to any DnB anything in Toronto yet. I'm swamped Friday night but I'll try to make it Sunday.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any kind of DnB weekly show, similar to what Digweed had on Kiss for trance? I could really go for a reliable source for a weekly mix without having to search the internet every time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome, thanks. I've always been a DnB guy but I just started listening at work and it feels like it's made me super focused and productive.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a term for the type of DnB that Photek's Form and Function album fits into? It's very.. minimalistic. Focus seems to be on the drums and bassline, additional instruments are thin, sparse.. very minimal.

That's the album that got me into DnB and I've been hardpressed to find anything like it. I mean I haven't searched that hard, but if anyone knows of something that might be up my alley, that would be great.

This is probably my favourite off the entire album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eaqxo1R7raA

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks Speaker. This is going to make my day at work much more palatable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was just looking for some fun DnB but settled on Digweed's Transitions. This should be a nice change.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone have recommendations in the style of Photek’s original Form and Function album?

For some reason I’m just having a hell of a time gel-ing with a lot of DnB these days and I can’t really articulate why, compared to mid 90s Jungle and DnB. Not that Form and Function is strictly the style I’m into, but it’s an album I absolutely adore.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, huge talent for picking good tunes! Keep it up :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Since I've been dabbling with DnB/Jungle on my MPC1000 I thought I'd throw Spinscott's content in here. He's my spiritual idol in this area and I kind of share this content with everyone who will listen to me blab on, so I'm kind of surprised I haven't posted it here before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG5_gQZJPRg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk_gLaaLQUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhhFwWj19YU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXO-j0atz08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r42-2bo5Vbg

I am in love with the way he freestyles. In a lot of ways it's really simplistic and minimal and I love it. This is the kid of Jungle/DnB I either remember growing up with or think I remember growing up with so it's always warms my heart to hear :)

Also while this is absolutely my goal, I have no illusions about getting to this level any time soon ;)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

E: oh this isn’t the musicians forum duh

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 28, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Absolutely. That is without a doubt in my top three favourite DnB tracks, and typically the first that comes to mind when someone mentions the genre. It wasn’t my intro to the genre but it was the track that’s had the most lasting impact on me. I’m trying to remember where I heard it first. I want to say it was on a GU CD maybe? But I’ll be damned if I can pinpoint which.

I’m not usually MUH VINYLS LOOK but Peshay’s mix is super proudly front and centre every time I sit down to make music. Such an inspiration :swoon:

E: Ok yeah, GU 004 Oslo, Oakenfold. That whole disc starts off super trippy but tbh peters out after Bukem’s track, but I mean it’s a hard act to follow so I’m not shocked.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 24, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Virgil Vox posted:

Don't think I've heard this mix before but the first disc rules:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bBEZ4_G7Bc

Oakie can either have mind blowingly good track selection or really poor; I think both his GU mixes fall into the latter, while I loved the Another World mix CD.

He's actually mostly a miss for me, but the first GU004 CD was a perennial fixture in my weekly/monthly music consumption up to track.. let's say 7. I almost always jammed the stop button after that.

Most trance/house/electro is incredibly incredibly hit or miss with me and frankly I still haven't been able to articulate what it is about those genres that appeals to me in a way that I can say "oh yeah if I liked X quality of this song I'll need to ask what other songs I should look at". Which is good in a way, since it forces me to sample a lot and with the proliferation of things like apple music and di.fm I can basically dump as much time into random recommendations as I want which is something I would never have had the luxury of in the 90s and early 00s without investing a lot of download time and research.

Back to Bukem -- I am a steadfast fan of his music through and through, but the Music remix is one of those where I definitely prefer the mix to the original track. Nothing wrong with the original, but the mix just adds that punch and a little bit of je ne sais quoi that really gets me excited about this genre. It's exciting and chaotic while being lightly droning. The .. repetetiveness is the wrong word so I apologize, I just can't think of a better music term .. repetetiveness is a build up that makes the chorus/drop almost euphoric and celebratory. It does an amazing job of knowing exactly how long it should be and doesn't overstay its welcome.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I said Music was one of my top three. Here's the other that is firmly planted in my top three and, surprise surprise, it's another Peshay mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa7Rmsoa6z0

I'm a big but selective fan of Photek who is the other artist that immediately pops into my head when I hear the term "DnB". Immediately, clear as day, for me it's LTJ Bukem and Photek. Much as above, the original track is amazing and needs no help standing alone, but the mix adds a little layer of detail and edge that moves it from "great track" to "unforgettable" to me.

Both Photek and Bukem fall victim to my picky musical nature though, and while I believe they're clearly legends and leaders in the genre, if I was counting hits and misses I think both still strike out at the end of the day. To that end I don't think there's an electronic artist on earth that I will be able to say that about though. The styles are so fluid and open to experimentation that there are almost certainly things about these tracks I love that I subconsciously pick up on that other tracks lack and I just can't articulate.

It's going to be a real struggle for me to identify the third of three, which means maybe I only really have two, or I have more than two and am excluding unfairly, but I'll have to give it some thought either way.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm curious if you could play tracks at 89% speed somehow, and how odd that would sound overall.

e: I never really thought about coordinating jogging pace to BPM but now it makes sense. It feels amazingly good when you find a song where the beat hits in time with you hitting the pavement, and also how surprisingly jarring it can feel when you suddenly get out of step :monocle:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aw what no :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not even talking about death since he was super young, but ...

Like you always have this mental image of the folks you idolize and grew up with as you remember them in their prime.

And then you realize when you were growing up with them in your teens they were probably in their 20s and 30s, and now that you're approaching your mid-40s these folks are ... older.

I mean this isn't news, or any sort of profound revelation, but it's one of those things I think about every time I go look up the bio of an artist I love and see that they're in their late 50s or 60s and the only thing that I can say is "... ah"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish all posters a very pleasant Bukem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsuDBiWO3fs

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'mma take this time to plug a guy who has been super helpful in helping me understand and develop my hardware workflow. I found his channel when I was fretting about understanding my old s3000xl and turned out we were in a few of the same discords and is a genuinely awesome dude that's down to give advice. It's not all ambient jungle/dnb, that's just the style that appeals most to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2UVTFUokns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VStYL3Ziw_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLLq3u6kNKw

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sometimes I wonder why I pay for DI.fm instead of just looking for good youtube mixes. My time on DI.fm's *DnB and Jungle channels is 50/50 enjoyment/"ugh where's that skip button".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Virgil/Speaker, love these sets! Snagged a few ideas for a few bangers to collect.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 13, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Virgil, you and Speaker are really making me want to dip into mixing DnB. It's only minor hyperbole if I say I wait for your mixes with baited breath.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh my god, saving this to annoy all my friends next year.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I need that

JU
NG
LE

shirt :|

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Going live in five minutes with some of the usual.

https://twitch.tv/0pposingforce

Man, apropos of nothing, it's such a pleasure to watch experienced DJs surf the equipment. I'm at that stage where I know what I need to do but I still fight with my lacking muscle memory. Watching you just poke buttons and twist knobs without a care in the world like it's second nature is a treat! Aspirational!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I keep watching these streams and links you guys post because I have this weird love/hate relationship with DnB, and you guys help me kind of narrow down my tastes by example.

I think stems mostly from genre-fatigue and I keep listening to just things online just slapped with a DnB tag and I almost always walk away because it's not the sound I'm looking for, but by the same token I don't know the right sub-sub-sub-sub-genre to invoke to call up the actual stuff I love.

My stab at this:

My background growing up with DnB was mostly jungle and stuff like the more minimal Photek, LTJ's stuff, so I think I naturally kind of slide into what I understand "liquid" or more "atmospheric jungle" to be.

As with any genre there are hits and misses so sometimes when I tune into a stream someone is on my wavelength but the song is just meh and that's not an issue. Then there's "DnB" that I can't really put into a genre box which sounds like it's bordering on dubstep or like it's just dance music with a really fast beat or I dunno. Trying to nail down that je ne sais quoi about any genre you love with your ears and your heart but not your brain is the path to madness so I don't really try, except now that I'm in the position of trying to DJ some of it and tracking down what you love just turns into a game of clicking recommended tracks on stuff you already like.

I don't think I have a point to make here, just another expression of how absolutely picky I am with my music and frustration that there's no easy mode for finding what you like other than wading through mountains of material. Which -- I'm 45 now, I want to experience all the good music before my time is up, so I'm really thankful for you guys exposing me to a lot, one way or the other!

And Speaker, I bet everyone is at least somewhat nervous before they go live -- you definitely fall into your set super naturally and confidently though. Lemme tell you man, if internally you're in "fake it till you make it" mode, externally you definitely project "made it".

As a beginner I'm just in awe of anyone who handles the decks with such calm and confident demeanour. From the top where I watch John Diggers nonchalantly play festivals, down to local DJs and online streamers. Super aspirational all the way down.