Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Its not dark its just cheesy jump-up and the best way to go from there is Sub Focus probably but theres songs by them in the OP so i dunno. If you don't like any of the other tracks in the OP and only Pendulum maybe dnb isn't for you to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Dell_Zincht posted:

For gently caress's sake can we please not allow this thread to go the same way the electro/synth thread always does?

DnB has gone mainstream. Get over it.

Its hardly mainstream just because one group which sounds nothing like any other dnb got into the charts ... I don't think anyones annoyed that its mainstream, more the fact its really bad music. Andy C - Body Rock got in the charts back in the day and its considered a pretty good tune, and as stated by EMUpirate High Contrast is very poppy and mainstream yet is well respected by most dnb fans. If they stop attempting to 'sing' or at least get someone else to do it, and stop reusing that same loving identical breakbeat over and over then it would be a bit better at least.

Btw EMUpirate if you want ridiclous clownstep Nightwalker is the worst: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp8Oz4wrE9Y

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Ok to move away from Pendulum discussion some new 12" releases that are good imo, Culture Shock on Ram Records and Kabuki on V Recordings, all 4 tracks pretty nice check them out. All the lighter side of dnb though.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Mexican Samurai posted:

I for one thought that Immersion was pretty good, I pretty much like the songs that everyone else likes (set me on fire, island part 2, witchcraft).

But, we should probably get back to talking about actual Drum & Bass. Does anyone know of any other Liquid Funk songs that has a heavy use of strings that is not Blame song?

LAOS - We All

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvO_VugWRYU

High Contrast - Forever and a Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5gVknqZ4ZA

Maybe my favourite dnb song ever, High Contrast - Racing Green but maybe you knew that one already. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6wuKrqPgmQ

Cyantific - Riviera http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLtms47KT9w

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 22, 2010

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

chrix posted:

I don't understand why people still try to sub-sub-subgenrelize dnb, a genre of dance music that is so wide and varied. Especially given the direction DnB has gone in the last 2-3 years.

Sure there are differences between a Camo & Krooked track as opposed to an EZ Rollers track compared to a Dillinja track, but each producer doesn't sit down and think: "Hmmm, I think I'm going to make a strictly Techstep track". They create tracks by taking elements from all kinds of different tracks. Hell, sometimes a single producer will have his tracks sorted based on the SAMPLE they use. It's silly to watch people try to compartmentalize DnB based on what they've been exposed to. People STILL fight about what's considered Jungle or what qualifies as Liquid Funk. It's dumb.

Really though its completely well defined there's nothing to argue about, you need subgenres because everyone has their favoured styles. An artist doesn't always have to make only one style to be considered a recommendation, as you say recommending S.P.Y for liquid. I don't think its much to get worked up about, events are commonly one subgenre, labels too etc.

That big write-up misses obvious important poo poo like Goldie - Timeless. Can't just ignore what got dnb to where it is today... labels like Moving Shadow, Good Looking. Actually now i see moving shadow mentioned but i don't get why its there.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Since that was recorded 12th September could be a dubplate. It sounds like a Camo & Krooked track.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
It's hard to believe Atlantis is from 1993.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Cant wait for new Nightlife and the EPs, gonna be awesome.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Wow Nightlife 5 is good. Really good.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I forgot who asked for strings based dnb earlier but can't believe i forgot this one and thought it was worthy of its whole own post.

Technicolour - Good News Green
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmtlWpQz2lg

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
My fave Syncopix track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8i_oiCV5bM

Reminds me very similar to a recent Culture Shock track too i bet they would mix in well together, Smoothie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQrFNGWRhd4

Just that same kind of rolling beat feels similar or is it just me? I think they are both awesome either way. Not to play all the way through certainly as they certainly don't have amazing drops or anything but still nice tracks.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Anae posted:

I got confused trying to watch his actual physical mixing, but then I realised you meant look at the Serato screen, and yeah, it makes no sense. For example his transition from System to Ill Behaviour - the transition happens with only one Serato track playing. So both System and Ill Behaviour were on that one MP3, evidently. This would be excusable if it was a mash-up, but it's not, it's a (fairly rubbish) mix. He then mixes into another Serato track at 6:24 (notice the top one stop moving) but it continues to be Ill Behaviour, with his next tune pre-mixed in (listen to the drums).

Secondly, watch the bit from 2:14 to 3:00. The track he mixes out of the Let You Go remix (I don't recognise it) drops when it's clearly on the same Serato deck as Let You Go (the top one) - if you watch the waveforms, the waveform on the deck it 'should' be on goes into near-silence at about 2:44 for quite a while. The camera looks away for a while, and when it looks back at 3:36, the track I don't know is now on the bottom Serato deck and the Vocals from System are being mixed in - apparently on the top deck - and it's all well and dandy until at 3:50 he takes the tune out of the top deck...and both tunes remain playing.

I'm pretty sure he has his transitions pre-recorded, and then he matches up the tracks that are the same - i.e., he has 2 MP3s with Ill Behaviour on it: one is an MP3 going from System into Ill Behaviour, and another is an MP3 with Ill Behaviour going into whatever the next tune is.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Wouldn't be the first Hospital artist to be caught not mixing at all... Mitsubishi was caught playing pre-recorded too. I think it's just because they are producers and not DJs, but the money is in DJing as well and they need to be appearing at events like Hospitality to make any money.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I don't get, what is UKF? They got an album released based on the fact they upload other peoples tunes to youtube without their permission?

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
He plans to do so many drugs he'll need 3 days to recover. Or maybe has to walk there and back and it's a long distance.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

LE0N posted:

Nice just blagged 2 free tickets to this

Granted it's not the best DnB night ive ever been to but its £40's worth of tickets and its a decent night out for free. noice. Im a happy lad. Will pop my head into the skrillex room for 2 secs to see how awful it can get.

Damnit why is Skrillex managing to get into our UK lineups... out of place as gently caress

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Yeah what moving shadow release were you on? It's a shame they've stopped now.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Netsky is a bit crap tbh... now that Hospital artists seem to get mainstream play automatically i wonder how Nu:tone's tracks will fare. I always thought the Matrix remix of 'Seven Years' is precisely the sort of dnb to be popular and get in thee the charts if promoted and got radio play.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Remember The Future is great, that long with Nu:Tone - Seven Years (Matrix Remix) always strikes me as dnb that would be popular in the mainstream if it got the radio play like Danny Byrd is lately.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
He was in Radio 1 normal rotation with his last 2 singles, heard them quite a bit. Dunno why out of the Hospital artists he was first to have this happen.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
There's some cool stuff coming out this week, firstly there's a new Renegade Hardware EP for first time in ages.

Secondly there's this from ASC (sorry no youtubes), which i believe is the new type of dnb people are calling autonomic; http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=EXIT029

It's awesome the best release i've heard with this type of sound.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I got this Brookes Brothers release and thought In Your Eyes was pretty bizarre compared to what they usually do. It's like tropical themed dubstep. It's overall a bit cheesy imo.

I don't understand using the term drumstep when that was already used before for some other dnb subgenre entirely..

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
For Brookes Brothers yeah, it's very different from anything else they've done, it's unexpected. Reggaeish dubstep is a bit rare itself these days though, as far as i'm aware.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huq9wgrkJDQ this one is one good recent one i know of.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Hey Hey some people think Skrillex is a steaming load of dog poo poo with no place in this or any thread

if you think his music is worthwhile in any way you don't belong; make a new thread called "LFO modulation, screaming infantile synth-fits, and utterly predictable large dynamic range MEGATHREAD" Also Rageaholic Monkey i'm including you and Pendulum into this, gently caress that poo poo it's embarrassing, and so is most of Hospital's output right now.

This thread needs to a refresh from the same repetitive poo poo both musically and the content. As soon as someone posted something actually slightly fresh (the Autonomic sound w/ examples) people ignored and went back to EVERY FRIDAY POST YOUR 5 FAVOURITE (MAINLY OBNOXIOUS LIQUID) YOUTUBES.

I don't follow dnb as closely anymore but surely there's more discussion to be had, i see Ram records almost hit 100 with Wilkinson and other relatively new talent leading the way, Renegade Hardware's return, S.P.Y's huge amount of excellent work and collabs he's doing lately, ASC doing release after release with nice consistency and good production. Certainly more to talk about that what's your latest 5 and WHOA CAMO & KROOKED DID A REALLY PREDICTABLE SHITE ELECTRO TRACK.

Personally this week i'll buy the new Blokh4ed, Marky & S.P.Y on Innerground, a really interesting Fractune & Neptune Ltd Edition (always liked those guys for proper liquid). I was feeling maybe the Big Bud CD too but tbh it's not THAT good. Just feels like this guy's been around forever and is worth supporting. Also i want the Blue Motion LP too... not just cause it's some nice tunes but the artwork on it is great: http://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000006374951-8id5l9-original.jpg?2b64c8d

That would truly be a nice 12" to own and not even play.

Anyway thanks to those who have posted mixes, enlightening comments or otherwise actually made sense in this thread.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
What the gently caress is drumstep though in this context, I don't get it? There was DnB being made like this for years. So it's half-time, it's drumstep?

This is what i would have thought the dubstep bro's would like to have as their dnb counterpart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHoRvKa54xU Got loads of silly wobbles and samples they should love it. I think literally if you play the worst cheesy jump-up dnb at a current US dubstep 'massive' they'll love it. Where's that dickhead Clipz surely he'd love to be taking advantage of this poo poo?

Btw Hospital should re-release that Zarif/Danny Byrd track as a single intended for radio play, it'd be Katy B big imo.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Ahaha ok i dunno why i didn't know that. Well fair play to him. Should i be expecting to find Dillinja making deep soulful house tunes or something as well now instead then?

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
It's not by the fans though. Skullstep at least, It's just a joke from dogsonacid users like clownstep was mainly moking the American favoured DnB style. It's used so much though now it's kinda entered the general lexicon.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I just had a quick listen but that doesn't have the elements of 'skullstep', i can't describe it properly but the stuff people talking about has like extra faster breaks with loads of snare hits (i think its snare). That track seemed to just have a regular break.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
New remixes of Krome & Time - The Licence are really good. There's no clean youtubes at the moment i saw but check it out it's very good. Sounds a bit fresh, maybe just cause i was fed up with Taxman style wobble jump-up.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Theres 'Foregone Destruction' and a few other tracks in Unreal Tournament too. But that one is the best. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0G6WPuss4

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
This recent release on Subtle Audio is very good, both sides:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cydynhl5vpk

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
To be honest i think the Logistics album, at least the tracks i've heard, sounds crap.. it's just the standard modern Hospital fare. Cut-up unimaginative vocals, same annoying synths and just completely predictable. We Are One was notable to me as well because i thought it the worst, it's awful.. it's so simplistic melody wise, MORE cut-up vocals as if that isn't done enough already and the synths used sound even worse trying to give it a 90s breakbeat hardcore feel; don't think that poo poo main piano hook would have been popular back in the day.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Well all i know is i liked all of their output pre-09 then it seemed to be a total change of direction after Mistabishi - Drop, now very few of them grab my attention at all. I hope S.P.Y doesn't start making total cheese now he's signed with them.

edit: the Blokh4ed release in 2010, now that's a quality 12" and more what i would usually expect from NHS

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 6, 2012

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

delusionsofgrandeur posted:

I personally don't think Pendulum will be back just because of the recent dnb success, the dnb i'm hearing from Rudimental and DJ fresh has been far more musically interesting. Whilst Pendulum may have ignited a more common popular taste for drum and bass they were never producing the highest quality drum and bass.

That said they did write a few stompers, and I have nothing against them, I just found I got bored with it quickly.

Isn't DJ Fresh probably quite responsible for Hold Your Colour era Pendulum in the first place.. considering the change in sound once they were signed to Breakbeat Kaos, and then again after leaving.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
What that is so awful... embarrassing. Could some artists make it any more blatant they are producing for the Radio 1 daytime playlist audience?

I didn't listen to S.P.Y or Sick Music 3 yet but someone give me a heads up, is it worth it? S.P.Y has always been great so i really hope it's good..

By the way Mitsubishi had another album out last year under the LOL moniker that is so unique really... i personally think it's excellent. It's just totally it's own sound and it's quite amazing if he's just gone and made another unique album. I think this kind of stuff won't be appreciated properly for a long time prehaps. I wish he'd get a release on R&S or Black Acre prehaps.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
There's four albums in a serious called Sambass for the latin styled stuff, i love them myself. I put a few of them in this mix if you are interested in liquid: http://www.mixcloud.com/inf/liquid-dnb-30612/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Ah i used that in my early happyhardcore little mix thats been fairly popular on soundcloud/mixcloud if you want to check it out :) http://www.mixcloud.com/inf/oldschool-breakbeat-hardcore-mix-1993-style/