Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009
Oh come on, don't tell me I have the only s60.

old pic of her looking clean:

Click here for the full 816x612 image.

COMING SOON: THE VOLVO S60 POWER STEERING LEAK ADVENTURE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What kind of economy could I expect from a 2.5l 20v V70, if not mistreated?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Cakefool posted:

What kind of economy could I expect from a 2.5l 20v V70, if not mistreated?

More details please?

Generally most S70-V70s range around 18-20 city and up to almost 30 hwy, but different models/driving styles/mechanical conditions may vary...

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

Oxphocker posted:

More details please?

Generally most S70-V70s range around 18-20 city and up to almost 30 hwy, but different models/driving styles/mechanical conditions may vary...

That's how my S60 is. On well inflated tires and everything fresh I got 34mpg on one trip.

I did get close to 6mpg going through mid-ohio raceway though :pervert:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

blankooie posted:

Oh come on, don't tell me I have the only s60.

5th post, Bub :c00lbert:

blankooie posted:

That's how my S60 is. On well inflated tires and everything fresh I got 34mpg on one trip.

I've not had a chance to work out the highway economy of mine, but in the city I get 17MPG over the course of a tank. And I've not tried refilling from almost empty yet, but from what I can tell it would be impossible to do it in one go here because the machines have a maximum spend of £70. Yes - a full 80l tank would cost over £90.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I get 45 mpg from my Diesel S80 :smug:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oxphocker posted:

More details please?

I need a bigger car than my 206sw, so logically I'll be keeping that for the wife & replacing her Polo. I could afford a ~100k mile petrol V70 or a 150k mile Diesel. I'd prefer Diesel economy, I'm used to 54.6mpg, but if it wasn't atrocious I'd consider a lower mileage Petrol.

Trips are basically the 30 mile trip to work every day (nice straight A-roads) plus any motorway-going-to-see-family/friends trips & holiday How-the-gently caress-me-did-we-pack-all-that-last-year camping.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

Anjow posted:

5th post, Bub :c00lbert:

ooh not sure how I missed that.

I want your paint.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Aren't you supposed to yell at me and call me "HOPE" and motivate me over this wall?
Goon does idiot thing at tattoo parlor.

Film at 11.

I still have yet to make a write-up for my 245 GLT. I promise, I will though.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

Crispulus posted:

Goon becomes a legend at tattoo parlor.

Fixed

Anxiously awaiting more of this.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Midwest dudes, there's a little meet happening in Yellow Springs, OH on May 1st. It's a Turbobricks thing, but any and all Volvo folk are welcome. Here's the thread.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Splizwarf posted:

My junkyard offer from the last thread is still open.
I'm looking for a set of black carpet and mats for an 01-07 V70. The few yards around here have very very few Volvos as they tend to be a north-east auto (I'm in Tampa). Also they're pretty bulky so I'm sure shipping won't be cheap. Well, if you see anything I guess, thanks.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

82Daion posted:

Midwest dudes, there's a little meet happening in Yellow Springs, OH on May 1st. It's a Turbobricks thing, but any and all Volvo folk are welcome. Here's the thread.

I'll be there in my 850 with working ABS, BECAUSE I AM A SOLDERING GOD!!!!!!

Also: Crispulus, you loving own so goddamned hard its not even funny. I thought I was going to be bad rear end with my engine code on my right foot, but you sir are a visionary.

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

Here is my daily driver - a 1989 Volvo 244 w/158k mi.

Click here for the full 758x361 image.

I started my arduous journey of Volvo ownership last Fall. I had been subconsciously nurturing some sort of Volvo envy while lurking in the threads here when my girlfriends DD died. Perfect! Now we can get a Volvo.

I didn't like what I was saw for offer on craigslist. What I found was too much rust, too many miles or what I thought was too much money. Then I found one for $450 at a lot that sold mostly damaged vehicles. It had a seized brake caliper, no battery, symptoms of a bad alternator, poo poo tires, broken exhaust pipe and a dent in one front fender. Apart from the dent, the body and paint were relatively straight. Despite crawling under the car to inspect, my brain somehow failed to acknowledge the condition of the underbody. I knew there was an 89 wagon with a bad transmission but a lot of new stuff on it for $300 on craigslist. In a moment of questionable judgment I bought both cars and towed them home. At the time I was a oilchange/sparkplug mechanic with not many tools.

I only had a few days to get it running before the snow set in for the winter. I changed brake lines, calipers and rotors. Transplanted the alternator from the parts car and installed a new starter. I traded the 15” wheels with 14's that had good rubber from the wagon. I chopped the relatively new exhaust of the wagon right behind the cat, strapped it to the top of the car and took it to a muffler shop that put it on for $20. I fixed a few vacuum hoses, put in new plugs, threw some sea-foam in the crankcase and changed the oil. It snowed the night I finished.

This spring I could no longer ignore the poor condition of the under-body. It was stick-your-finger-through the floor pan type bad. It seemed like I either had to sell this thing while I could or fix it – I decided to fix it. I brought it to a buddy who had a wire feed gas welder and was looking for a little extra cash. We spent 4 long days cutting out, fabricating and installing the drivers side under-body and extensive parts of both rockers. It was epic and it sucked rear end.

I'm glad for the experience but had I known what I was getting into I would have waited for, and spent more money on a less corroded, better maintained specimen. It has broken down on me twice: once a bad ground to the fuel pump relay and recently the clutch cable snapped. The rear lights are also borked – there is always a light out and if I replace the bulb the next one down the line goes, rinse and repeat. I am now at the point where all the major stuff is working and I can do small maintenance projects as I feel like it. There are endless types of these projects to choose from.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
Sup, this is mine ('96 855R), all dirty and everything:

Was $3750, she had an in-op speedo and odo which I surmised from due to an ABS failure. Paid $40 for Mattymoo to resolder mine (sorry DIY guys) and they came right back. Had to re-do the control arms and tie rods almost immediately, and, as I've bitched a few times before, the tailgate lock assembly is hosed and causes the tailgate to create an ungodly racket on even small bumps, as well as causing vibrations at highway speeds worrisome enough that I haven't been taking her on the highway.

She's got 88k on the odo, but who knows what the actual reading is - guy I bought her from said there were "definitely no more than 500" but okay. I'm gonna stop by a dealership and get them to read the true mileage off the ECU at some point.

Had some Volvo "Hydra" wheels in terrible condition on her when I brought her home. :ohdear:

Found these on Craigslist for $200, there's noticeable run-out on them and the tires will need to be replaced by the end of the summer but for $200 I didn't feel like they were a terrible buy. The Hydras had to come off, as they were 16" with 55 ratio tires and had ruined the plastic wheel wells (will now need to be replaced - see if you can spot the busted mudflap).

I have absolutely no idea who the manufacturer is, so if any of you recognize this logo please please please let me know. They're JWL / VIA stamped.

Hey, nice rear end.

Bonus shot of he-who-does-not-travel-in-my-car-yet-gets-a-sticker-on-it-anyway (he climbs around the mesh dividers into the back seat and I can't have claws all over my near-perfect alcantara).

as halfway crooks fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 27, 2016

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
This next junkyard run is going to be a lot more pleasant than valve spring seats and a v40 turbo (read: a lot better hidden than the one on a 740). :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is your hatch assembly actually damaged, or does it just need regreasing? My WRX wagon is exhibiting similar behaviour and the common fix is just to apply more grease to the latch to keep it from rattling over bumps.

Can you get a better picture of one of the logos stamped into the rim of the wheel? That might help us figure out where it came from. Are they just JWL/VIA or is there something else?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Picked up a set of dirty but serviceable 960 seats today for a project I'm brewing up:

They're probably going to go into this, which will also be getting 960 taillights and an eggcrate grille once I've got it:

It's a 1992 940 Turbo with a Mitsubishi 15G turbo and a couple of chipped ECUs. Should be making pretty decent power. If all goes well, I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

as halfway crooks, that's a pretty sweet 850R. :cheers:

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 23, 2010

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

ch1mp posted:

The rear lights are also borked – there is always a light out and if I replace the bulb the next one down the line goes, rinse and repeat.

Yes, welcome to the world of 240 ownership. I've had five 240's in the past 15 years, and every one had the chronic rear light problem. Most that I see on the road also usually have one bulb out. It's a very common and seemingly unfixable problem.

My current Volvo is a 1989 240 GL with almost 148,000, the lowest mileage I have ever had on one of my Volvo's. I picked it up back in December, and have done a little work on it since then, mainly parts of the ignition system and air intake, which had a bad airbox thermometer and no preheat hose. I have no pics at the moment, but it was burgundy, though the paint is shot. Besides the paint, the body is in fairly good shape, and the engine and drivetrain are (seemingly so far) solid. The interior is the tan vinyl, and is in excellent condition and probably the main factor in buying this particular 240, along with being a GL with a sunroof and the fact that I had given up on finding a Turbo within a few hours drive that was worth buying.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 23, 2010

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

empty baggie posted:

chronic rear light problem.

After I dropped a taillight and broke a lens trying to clean the contacts for the millionth time last month, I took a gamble and spent the $120 for a set of knockoff Estonian lights. I wasn't expecting much but I have to say, they seem to be pretty well made. They definitely improve the look of the back end. We'll see how long they last, I guess.

My title came in the mail yesterday. First car I've ever officially owned, yay!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

empty baggie posted:

Yes, welcome to the world of 240 ownership. I've had five 240's in the past 15 years, and every one had the chronic rear light problem. Most that I see on the road also usually have one bulb out. It's a very common and seemingly unfixable problem.

Did anyone ever come up with an aftermarket solution to the circuit boards failing? Seems like it's only going to get worse with age and it's not like people stop driving them, ever.

two forty posted:

My title came in the mail yesterday. First car I've ever officially owned, yay!

It's not real without a photo. Let's see this figmentary car. :v:

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
My friend is offering me her mid/late 80's 245DL for ~500$

It apparently leaks/eats oil and needs a new front strut. I just need a car to get around the city. This a good idea? I am terrible about mechanics but willing to learn. 500$ is good for a car tho..

edit- ~200k mi

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

My friend is offering me her mid/late 80's 245DL for ~500$

It apparently leaks/eats oil and needs a new front strut. I just need a car to get around the city. This a good idea? I am terrible about mechanics but willing to learn. 500$ is good for a car tho..

edit- ~200k mi

Eating oil is most likely an issue with one of the main/crank seals if the car doesn't smoke while driving. Assuming that that is the case, you will likely need to replace the timing belt and tensioner as well, since the failure of the front crank seal will cause oil to be deposited on the timing belt. It could also be an oil pan gasket, but that's less likely. For the sake of preventative maintenance, you should also replace the flame trap.

Assuming that these things are dealt with (and they are relatively cheap if you do them yourself), the car should be pretty reliable.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Aren't you supposed to yell at me and call me "HOPE" and motivate me over this wall?

Sviatoslav posted:

I'll be there in my 850 with working ABS, BECAUSE I AM A SOLDERING GOD!!!!!!

Also: Crispulus, you loving own so goddamned hard its not even funny. I thought I was going to be bad rear end with my engine code on my right foot, but you sir are a visionary.

Actually, I really like the engine code idea. One idea I was floating around was the cover to the 164 Haynes book but its cross-section revealed the car to be the carburetter model and that just wouldn't be accurate in my case.

There was another cross-section picture for the 164 that was D-Jets but that was a Geocities page from years ago and we all know what happened to Geocities.

Edit. Because the other photo sucked hard. Here's one where you can actually figure out what part of me it is on (I swear I only have a neckbeard when I photograph myself for this website.)

@ the post below; excellent stocking stuffers.

Crispulus fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 23, 2010

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Crispulus posted:

Actually, I really like the engine code idea. One idea I was floating around was the cover to the 164 Haynes book but its cross-section revealed the car to be the carburetter model and that just wouldn't be accurate in my case.

There was another cross-section picture for the 164 that was D-Jets but that was a Geocities page from years ago and we all know what happened to Geocities.

I went looking around Internets trying to find the picture you speak of. I didn't find it yet, but I found this: http://www.amazon.com/Haynes-Classic-Cutaways-Publishing/dp/1844255700/ which looks like it might be pretty cool and a better resolution for tattoos if there's anything worth using in it. There's a 164 in it according to at least one review.

Book Description: posted:

This fascinating book features 100 of the classic trademark cutaway drawings that have appeared on the front covers of Haynes car manuals over the years. Each cutaway is presented across a double-page spread with accompanying text and specifications about the car in question. The book is lavishly produced and will make the perfect gift for any nostalgic car enthusiast. Cars covered present a complete cross-section of the industry from the 1950s to the 1980s, including sports cars such as the Porsche 911 and Jaguar E-type and sedans such as the Ford Cortina and Mini.

And this http://www.amazon.com/NASA-Apollo-Owners-Workshop-Manual/dp/1844256839

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 23, 2010

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
So, anyone care to guess how much I'm going to be in to fix this?

I'm thinking I can salvage the driver's fender, ignore the scratches on the bumper, replace the hood, radiator, radiator support, grill and headlights and have a pretty decent looking car.

For those that are interested, this 1994 940 wagon hit a deer at 70mph. The deer faired worse. It's a friend's car and he's giving it to me if I want it. Not sure I do. It's got about 250,000 miles on it, but the whole top-end was rebuilt not 500 miles ago, lower end is solid. He was incredibly fastidious about maintenance and repairs, so it's in excellent shape, outside of the obvious damage.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

What's the deal with used C30 prices? I can't find a base pre-owned C30 for less than $23k, while S40s from the same model year seem to go for less than $20k or so. Is there just a ton of demand for the C30 right now or what?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

trouser chili posted:

I'm thinking I can salvage the driver's fender, ignore the scratches on the bumper, replace the hood, radiator, radiator support, grill and headlights and have a pretty decent looking car.

For those that are interested, this 1994 940 wagon hit a deer at 70mph. The deer faired worse. It's a friend's car and he's giving it to me if I want it. Not sure I do. It's got about 250,000 miles on it, but the whole top-end was rebuilt not 500 miles ago, lower end is solid. He was incredibly fastidious about maintenance and repairs, so it's in excellent shape, outside of the obvious damage.

I'm into one with similar damage right now for about $200 in parts, although you need both headlights where I only needed one. You won't even need to replace the radiator supports, they'll just bend back into shape.

You need to find a pick & pull or a Volvo shop with an identical parts car, but once you do you should be into it for well under $500 depending on just how cheap you are. If it were my car I'd get a new radiator instead of used but I'd also forgo the a/c, as it wasn't particularly good on those cars even when working perfectly.

Also if you do decide to replace the fender, you need one from a car with both the same headlight configuration and cowl configuration. The differences will be fog lights by the grille and a hood that goes all the way back to the windshield. Those change the turn signal hole and the shape at the windshield corner. Also if you find a 1989 or 1990 740 (I think those are the years) with that "hockey stick" headlight trim configuration, just know that it was a slightly different shape. It'll all bolt on, but you won't be able to mix and match parts, the "nose" on the hood is slightly narrower on your car, meaning the hood, grille, and hockey stick trim under the lights are unique on the 7 of those years. The headlights, signals and fenders are the same though.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 23, 2010

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

trouser chili posted:

If the frame's good, you're in for not a whole drat lot. I wouldn't buy the radiator used, but other than that you're looking at maybe $200 in a junkyard. You might need new transmission oil cooler lines, and by your description of repairs it's not a turbo, right? That would make things more messy. If hoods are cheap enough in your yard, just get any color now and keep looking for black until it shows up, gently caress repainting one.

e: haha dammit LloydDobler

Which one is the hockey stick? The double sealed beam with a side marker and the L-shaped turn signal underneath? I got one of those ('89) and one of the kind with a side marker that works as a turn signal instead, and the fender comes in under it, and then a big block for a headlamp, plastic ('92).

And the AC on my '89 is great. :colbert:

VVVVVVV You are correct, sir. And the ABS is on the wrong side for a turbo, I think. VVVVVVVV

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 23, 2010

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Definitely not a turbo, the airbox is on the driver's side and battery on the passenger's.

edit: No, the painted trim for the giant single headlight is shaped like a hockey stick. I probably should have just said giant single headlight.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

edit: No, the painted trim for the giant single headlight is shaped like a hockey stick. I probably should have just said giant single headlight.

Well, in that case, not on the '89, but it is on the '92. :v:

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
Whatever you do, don't get an aftermarket radiator.

TheJeffers, right back atcha. :tipshat:

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Picked up the 940 today and commenced swapping in the later interior. Physically, it all goes together fine, but there's no power seat harness on the passenger side of the car, which has made installing the seat really difficult. I've got the female plug from the 960 the seats came from, which will probably allow me to wire up a makeshift harness for it eventually.

With regards to performance, it's really nice. It's running 10 PSI now and pulls smoothly all the way through the rev range. The previous owner also did a lot of suspension mods that make it handle really well. I'll have some pictures tomorrow once I wash it.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

TheJeffers posted:

Picked up the 940 today and commenced swapping in the later interior. Physically, it all goes together fine, but there's no power seat harness on the passenger side of the car, which has made installing the seat really difficult. I've got the female plug from the 960 the seats came from, which will probably allow me to wire up a makeshift harness for it eventually.

With regards to performance, it's really nice. It's running 10 PSI now and pulls smoothly all the way through the rev range. The previous owner also did a lot of suspension mods that make it handle really well. I'll have some pictures tomorrow once I wash it.

Oh poo poo I missed the part that said it had a 15G in there, you sleepin' hard bro.

Where's everyone at, anyway? Anyone other neckbeards in the Greater Boston / New England area?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Near Fredericksburg, Virginia; hour south of DC.

Here's some shots of my bricks.

Here's some of the v40 Sludgemobile.

We're finally into reassembly. I want to think it would take me less than a semester to do this if I had more than a 3-hour lab once a week to do it in. I lose half an hour on each end to setup and cleanup, and it's hard to talk my way into supervised time outside of class.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
I love that old-school roof rack. :cool:

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

empty baggie posted:

http://www.k-jet.org/articles/projects/hard-wiring-tail-lights/?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

as halfway crooks posted:

I love that old-school roof rack. :cool:
He didn't put it there. Also, you can see it's a little too big for its mounts. It's buckled up in the center. Take that, :cool:!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Casnorf posted:

It's buckled up in the center.

Like every last body panel on your Porsche amiright? :)

Oh snap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
Was out on the 2010 Pirelli International Rally yesterday, thought you might appreciate this... Won its class with plenty of time to spare.