Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Under S60 notes you may wish to add that some of the S60s up until 2002 had problems with the electronic throttle module, causing rough idling, surges in acceleration, hesitation and occasionally unexplained acceleration. Sometimes even the replacements had the same problem if it was from the same time. I think one way to palliate it was to clean it with carb or throttle body cleaner.

Edit: I dunno why I didn't notice that in the S70 section. But it applies to the S60 of that period too. Another site for it is http://www.vexedvolvo.org/

Here's mine.

Click here for the full 1306x932 image.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

blankooie posted:

Oh come on, don't tell me I have the only s60.

5th post, Bub :c00lbert:

blankooie posted:

That's how my S60 is. On well inflated tires and everything fresh I got 34mpg on one trip.

I've not had a chance to work out the highway economy of mine, but in the city I get 17MPG over the course of a tank. And I've not tried refilling from almost empty yet, but from what I can tell it would be impossible to do it in one go here because the machines have a maximum spend of £70. Yes - a full 80l tank would cost over £90.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I guess this is Volvo related.

In the UK we got new insurance groups at the start of the year. I only recently found out about this so I've been looking up the new ratings. It was on a 1-20 rating before, now it's 1-50 and supposedly most cars have just had their group double.

Not mine. My S60 went from 14 to 35. That means it is now cheaper for me, a young man, to insure:

Mazda RX-8
Alfa Romeo Brera
VW Scirocco R
Golf GTI
2004 Ford Focus RS
Honda Civic Type R
The smaller engined Porsche Boxster

Now when I look at some of those cars, they strike me as exactly the sort of thing insurers wouldn't want me in. They're more powerful, they're flashier, they're way more likely to be driven aggressively and crashed than my S60. Yet here I am, getting charged £1300 (after shopping around) to insure a car I chose for being sensible and comfortable. And able to occasionally overtake people.

And I got the smallest-engined S60 (albeit not the least powerful - even the 2.4D is more expensive than almost all on the list above). Oh and my father's Mercedes E-class estate? More expensive to insure than a goddamn Mitsubishi Evo X.

I hate insurance.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Xovaan posted:

Just a random question:

Maybe I just suck at manual, but anybody ever have bad shuddering with the clutch if the car's not warmed up? Especially in reverse? Parking lots are an utter loving nightmare (and parallel parking is even worse) because the car will shudder so bad in reverse that it sometimes stalls outright.

My automatic S60 shudders when using creep sometimes :haw:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does anyone have any comments regarding a Scangauge2 and an S60? I'm interested in getting one but I don't know enough about OBD stuff or Volvos to know whether I'd have full functionality or not. I'd also be interested in any opinions people have of them.

I'd be getting one to use mainly as a trip computer (instant MPG, average speed, etc.) and for the odd check on things like battery voltage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Work just gave me an Android phone, so I'm looking to get a bluetooth OBDII reader to use with Torque. Can anyone recommend one that's available in the UK and will work with a UK 2001 S60 please?