Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
Anyone else goin' to the PA Ikea meet on the 25th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
Goddamn gently caress you 855 tailgate rattle. gently caress you so hard.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

I wish, the rivets on the tailgate lock itself have loosened and cause the lock mechanism (and thus the whole tailgate) to rattle back and forth 1mm or so. The kicker is that it's a $140ish part. Gonna hit a couple scrapyards tomorrow and see what I can dig up.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
Also drat guys watch this video it seriously owns so hard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UPqjAN3-C8

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Sviatoslav posted:

drat, well I'm going to need a radiator fan or a fan relay here in the next few days.... I'll be finding out which one tonight.... also I may need another ABS module because tonight I'm taking mine apart and attempting to resolder it, and if I gently caress up I'll be wanting a new one.

I'll try my luck around here but if nothing comes up then I might take you up on your offer.

There's a guy on the Volvospeed forums that'll resolder it for you for $40 shipped, forums name "Mattymoo". He owns.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
Sup, this is mine ('96 855R), all dirty and everything:

Was $3750, she had an in-op speedo and odo which I surmised from due to an ABS failure. Paid $40 for Mattymoo to resolder mine (sorry DIY guys) and they came right back. Had to re-do the control arms and tie rods almost immediately, and, as I've bitched a few times before, the tailgate lock assembly is hosed and causes the tailgate to create an ungodly racket on even small bumps, as well as causing vibrations at highway speeds worrisome enough that I haven't been taking her on the highway.

She's got 88k on the odo, but who knows what the actual reading is - guy I bought her from said there were "definitely no more than 500" but okay. I'm gonna stop by a dealership and get them to read the true mileage off the ECU at some point.

Had some Volvo "Hydra" wheels in terrible condition on her when I brought her home. :ohdear:

Found these on Craigslist for $200, there's noticeable run-out on them and the tires will need to be replaced by the end of the summer but for $200 I didn't feel like they were a terrible buy. The Hydras had to come off, as they were 16" with 55 ratio tires and had ruined the plastic wheel wells (will now need to be replaced - see if you can spot the busted mudflap).

I have absolutely no idea who the manufacturer is, so if any of you recognize this logo please please please let me know. They're JWL / VIA stamped.

Hey, nice rear end.

Bonus shot of he-who-does-not-travel-in-my-car-yet-gets-a-sticker-on-it-anyway (he climbs around the mesh dividers into the back seat and I can't have claws all over my near-perfect alcantara).

as halfway crooks fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 27, 2016

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
Whatever you do, don't get an aftermarket radiator.

TheJeffers, right back atcha. :tipshat:

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

TheJeffers posted:

Picked up the 940 today and commenced swapping in the later interior. Physically, it all goes together fine, but there's no power seat harness on the passenger side of the car, which has made installing the seat really difficult. I've got the female plug from the 960 the seats came from, which will probably allow me to wire up a makeshift harness for it eventually.

With regards to performance, it's really nice. It's running 10 PSI now and pulls smoothly all the way through the rev range. The previous owner also did a lot of suspension mods that make it handle really well. I'll have some pictures tomorrow once I wash it.

Oh poo poo I missed the part that said it had a 15G in there, you sleepin' hard bro.

Where's everyone at, anyway? Anyone other neckbeards in the Greater Boston / New England area?

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
I love that old-school roof rack. :cool:

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

ease posted:

1993 940 8valve/na. Wife's radiator just blew up, literally plastic shattered. Just changed the water pump last week. Is there any kind of pressure release valve anywhere or on the reservoir cap? I'm pretty sure I didn't over fill it after doing the swap or anything, but I couldn't think of why it would just blow up like that.

Getting my replacement from FCP tomorrow (I live 20 mins away). Looks like a pretty easy swap.

Nooooooooo

:negative:

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

ease posted:

Oh man what do you mean? I love FCP.

I love FCP too, but radiators are a bad part to try to save $50 or so on aftermarket vs. OEM.

Check out these pics: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php/topic/131632-why-its-oem-or-nothing/page__pid__1758857__st__0&#entry1758857

Some more discussion of aftermarket radiators: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php/topic/131348-98-v70-auto-which-radiator-to-buy/

Also, my favorite aftermarket parts picture:

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

deratomicdog posted:

Zip ties? Really?

Not mine, but it's just one of those things you can look at every day and still find something new that's all sorts of wrong.

And for my contribution to the thread, hello ladies:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

as halfway crooks fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 28, 2010

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

LloydDobler posted:

On the first generation cars, the T5 models were nearly as fast as the R models, the Rs simply held peak boost for 30 additional seconds on full throttle accelleration. They also had special interiors and were lower. They were really fast, many people suggested they were underrated from the factory. Anyway, a T5 is far more common and an adequate substitute. In '98 there even were a lot of manual tranny T5 cars imported. The '98-'00 S and V 70 cars are just a facelifted 850 so include those in your shopping if you want. '98 is viewed as the peak in terms of features and reliability, as they went to drive by wire in '99.

No, that's an aftermarket kit. IPD used to sell one that plugged in to your reverse light socket, a previous owner might have thought that was cool.

It is cool.

Found the one you're looking at; it's nice, and I do like the birch/tan interior even though everyone else thinks they're rear end-ugly. Email the guy and go find out what the mileage is; we can't tell you what it's worth without knowing that.

However, regardless, I'd go check this one out too: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/1719448786.html

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
Someone please buy this before I buy a plane ticket out to Denver:

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/1711095480.html

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
I've noticed my coolant bubbling once or twice after hard driving, uh-oh?

edit: yeah it's expensive, but low-mileage saffron, pay to play brah.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
The power steering on my 850 is makin' a creaky noise and seems to be somewhat "centered", particularly when cold - if that makes any sense. I turn it slight left or right and it hits almost a "curb" that's easy to go past, but definitely noticeable. Any ideas? Kind of an idiot about power steering, my dad said it might need a new belt but that's dadchat. Checked the fluid and there was definitely more than enough?

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Cakefool posted:

Opinion poll:
850, 100k miles or V70 170k miles, same price, fairly good condition, both with full history & no issues.

What would you choose?

850. Better interior, much easier to work on, no weak AWD drivetrain to deal with (don't get an AWD V70). Unless you're really into the adjustable suspension feature the V70 offers, I'd go 850.

Although honestly, if I was to buy a Volvo right now, I'd get a intercooled 760 turbo and spend the price differential on upgrades.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
I have a big brochure / poster I got at Boston Volvo Village that shows all the wheels they've offered from the 850 up. If there's interest, I'll see if I can scan a copy.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Sviatoslav posted:

Are you asking if we had unlimited money what used Volvo we would buy, or what upgrades for the 85 240 we would do.

A.) 04 V70R (or if you suck S60R)

B.) Praise Jesus! Slam it and +T!!

850R you idiot, V70R is clearly inferior

also Volvo goons is a V70 tailgate interchangeable with an 850 tailgate? Help!

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
guys i finally got volans (w original pzeros still at 80%)

i got volans

volans

volans

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
Ahahaha, the cigarette stuck in the tire. "drat, gotta put my smoke somewhere while I take a picture!" :clint:

edit: Cetus wheels, don't pay more than $150 for a nice set on Craigslist.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
sup guys i took a picture of my car 2day

as halfway crooks fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 29, 2011

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
im gonna do the pcv on my 850 soon, im scared

never done anything except front end work before

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

dr1verdown posted:

Sorry to continue beating the PCV issue into the ground, but I've been through a few pages of this thread and didn't see anything about the PCV causing a rear main seal leak on the 850 non-turbos. Can anybody set me straight here? I just bought a 97 850 non turbo with 105k for $2500 and aside from the oil being neglected, looks and drives great.

clogged pcv causes increased crankcase pressure, increased crankcase pressure can (and eventually will) cause rms failure

clean the ptc first

im about to go on this journey for the first time myself too

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

kmcormick9 posted:

00 V70R
It may have been there all along and it may be normal, but I have become increasingly aware of a clunking sound coming from the passenger side dash/floor area when I start the car. It's a single clunk and it happens about 1-2 seconds after the car starts.
Any idea what it could be?

post a pic of ur cute lil bby

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
anyone in the new england area (north shore mass tbe) wanna buy my black 96 855r w under 110k, im movin across the atlantic in august and it probably doesnt make sense to keep it in storage :(

im gonna snap some fresh pics and get a nice lil write up of all the pros and cons, not quite sure what its worth but ive got 3 months or so to sell it so hopefully ill be able to figure everything out

never sold a car before im scared yall, hold me tight

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

SeedyRom posted:

I believe the tune is the same. T-5R has suede seats and the platinum does not. Platinum only comes in Platinum paint for obvious reasons. Other than that, they are the same.
The platinum edition is also pretty rare. There are only 1.500 sold.
I found this on the 850's wiki page. I'll save you some time and link you directly to the source from wiki. Link: http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1993-to-1997-volvo-850-7.htm .

the platinums only have the regular 850 turbo ecu, and not the t5-r / 850r ecu

can always just swap one or get it tuned, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
here's a nice 855r for sale in the boston area

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/2499390046.html

oh, it just so happens to be mine

full disclosure for goons: the abs brake sensor wiring issue throws a tranny arrow ("p0500 speed sensor"), drives fine though (wiring must be shorted somewhere on the way to the tranny, but communicates with the ecu fine)

flame trap and pcv should probably be done soon just due to the age of the vehicle (didn't end up getting around to it)

slight vibration at 70mph or so, i think it's my loose tailgate bouncin' (bitch doesn't sit quite right no matter how much i gently caress with the tailgate struts, etc.)

gonna take some detailed pictures of the rough spots and such tomorrow

anyway if any goons in the area just wanna go for a joyride, lemme know

what do y'all think about the pricing? asking $3500, was looking for $3200 or so after tires are kicked