Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

As far as I know, the majority of Redblock engines are non-interference, with only the 16v ones being interference.

The Haynes manual says otherwise, but experience has led me to believe it's wrong. (I've had a timing belt go on a B230 with no ill effects)

Also: Add to the 240 section "Rear taillights circuitboard is made of brittle plastic and will almost certainly break over 20 years - so replace your entire taillight assembly before you start monkeying around with the wire runs."

You're right-the B21/B23/B230 8V redblocks aren't interference. All a timing belt break will do is leave you stranded. As for the other 2-series issues, the main ones are the "biodegradable" wiring harnesses in the pre-'88 models (especially turbos), and the flame trap.

Here's my '81 245, which is now back on the road (sort of) after three months of inactivity:

It started out with a B21F running on K-Jet and a 3-speed, and now has an '87 B230F and an AW71, running LH 2.2. The difference in drivability is astonishing.

Plans for the future include Megasquirt, a 15G/90+ +T setup, and a T5 swap. Pretty standard stuff, but it should make for a fun DD once all's said and done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Xovaan posted:

You should paint your airdam / front spoiler the same color as your car! It will look awesome. :D

I need to get some paint mixed to do the hood, so I might factor in some extra to paint the airdam. I kind of like the black-bumper look, though. v:v:v

quote:

Glad to see the car (sort of) runs. I'm 95% here with this swap. At this point, it's a matter of waiting until the 19th when my gasket sets come in and doing a full engine rebuild, removing the old engine and the system, putting the accessories onto the new engine, and bolting everything up. At least in theory. :ohdear:

Doing the mechanical stuff is easy; doing the wiring is the hard part, and even that's relative. If you're doing an LH2.4 swap with EZK, that's fairly well documented, and there should be plenty of people who can help you troubleshoot. My big issues came from getting the fuel pumps to work and getting the timing right, but that all worked itself out once I ditched the Chrysler ignition.

You still need a 563 ECU?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Got one from sbabbs on tbricks otherwise I'd totally snag yours.

Wiring for me should be really easy. My only question really is what I should do for the fuel delivery system. What's the best way to deal with fuel pumps if I am to replace them anyway?

I'm really not sure what I'd recommend. Mine started working again after I swapped back to the original ignition setup that came in my car, so obviously the wiring for the two are tied together, but I'm not exactly sure how. If you're adding the EZK ignition, that's a total gray area for me.

My guess is that you'd be fine with the LH2.4 fuel pump in place of the K-Jet main pump.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

This might be a weird question, but do the headlight wipers on a Volvo do anything. I've never seen them move.

They work with the windshield washers-when you activate them, they spray some washer fluid on the headlight lenses and wipe for the same duration as the windshield wipers. At least that's how they work on my 850.

After sitting for a week, there were no major puddles under my 240, and it turned right over, so it seems that the progress I made last weekend is holding up. I'm going to have to spend a lot of time cleaning up the wiring this weekend, though.

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 17, 2010

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Midwest dudes, there's a little meet happening in Yellow Springs, OH on May 1st. It's a Turbobricks thing, but any and all Volvo folk are welcome. Here's the thread.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

My friend is offering me her mid/late 80's 245DL for ~500$

It apparently leaks/eats oil and needs a new front strut. I just need a car to get around the city. This a good idea? I am terrible about mechanics but willing to learn. 500$ is good for a car tho..

edit- ~200k mi

Eating oil is most likely an issue with one of the main/crank seals if the car doesn't smoke while driving. Assuming that that is the case, you will likely need to replace the timing belt and tensioner as well, since the failure of the front crank seal will cause oil to be deposited on the timing belt. It could also be an oil pan gasket, but that's less likely. For the sake of preventative maintenance, you should also replace the flame trap.

Assuming that these things are dealt with (and they are relatively cheap if you do them yourself), the car should be pretty reliable.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Can anybody confirm this?

Dunno about the 9-pin, but the gray connector does indeed mate with the engine harness, and there should be a white relay that plugs into the black 6-pin connector. It's more commonly referred to as the main relay.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

keykey posted:

Is there any way to turn off the service soon light on a '96 volvo 850 without having to take it to the dealership so they can rape me with a $50 because they can fee every 3000 miles since I do oil changes and all applicable maintenance myself?

Found on volvoclub.co.uk:

quote:

Switch the ignition on. As you look at the speedometer on the dash, beneath it opposite the trip reset button is a rubber plug. Remove the plug and with a thin pointer such as a ball point pen, depress the pin. This will reset the service light.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I now know what it feels like to kill a 240. :smith:

(I junked my 242 parts car today)

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Shredded the timing belt on my 240 today in the midst of rush-hour traffic, 60 miles from home. :argh:

I never checked it before installing the engine, but if I had, I would have caught that something was up. It was an ancient one, judging by how desiccated the remains were, and how easy it was to just pop the teeth off. :gonk:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

DONT DO IT posted:

I just changed the fuel and air filters in my 240 turbo, it went well enough... Getting those freakin' bolts off the fuel filter was a fun experience. I got everything back on, but the car just kept cranking when I tried to start it. Apparently I didn't tighten the bolts on the fuel filter enough and spewed gas all over the windshield and engine bay. Tightening these connections fixed the leak, but not the problem. I get out of the car and notice a wonderful puddle of oil spreading all over my driveway. Probably about a quart. What did I do..? Did I put the fuel filter on backwards leading to excessive crankcase pressure?!

The fuel filter should be installed so that the arrows on the label are pointing to the passenger side of the car, towards the engine (i.e., in the direction of fuel flow). Even if you had it on backwards, it wouldn't have any effect on the oil or the crankcase pressure, since air doesn't normally flow back through the injectors. :v:

I'd make sure that you have your oil filter and drain plug installed properly, and I'd also make sure that your oil cooler (if you have one) isn't leaking from around that area as well.

As for the non-start issue, are you getting spark and fuel?

e: Splizwarf/deratomicdog, the 850 version of those wheels are called the Columba.

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 21, 2010

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

I read a bunch on kjet and some other sites but I guess I wasn't specific enough in this thread, how does a 1989 240DL 4 cyl wagon that needs a drivers side strut sound? They're asking 500 and I have no idea about it because I haven't seen it, its a daily driver and its drivable right now, they'll probably take it over to me this weekend. I have a mechanic friend who loves volvos to show me the ropes if it sounds like a good deal.

Should be decent. It's an LH 2.4 car that was made after they fixed the wiring harness issues that plagued the earlier (pre-88) models, so there shouldn't be too much trouble from a wiring standpoint. It'll probably need more than just a front strut, but assuming all the electrical stuff is OK, any mechanical fixes should be pretty easy, especially if you're friendly with an experienced mechanic.

e: Also got 27MPG out of the 245 on my latest trip home from school, which is better than our 850 usually manages on the same circuit. Not bad.

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 23, 2010

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I run GTX 10W-30 in my B230F, and in our NA '95 850. Seems to make for a pretty happy tractor motor, and the whiteblock's never complained, either.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I replaced the idle air controller in my 240 today, and it idles better than it did with the old one installed, but it still doesn't settle down into a particularly smooth idle-it surges a little and shudders every 10 seconds or so as if it's about to die, but it never stalls out.

I've gone through and checked some of the vacuum lines, which aren't in the best of shape, but is there anything else I should look into to see if I can improve the idle? Might my injectors be dirty?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Xovaan posted:

So sometimes when I turn my key for my car before I start, I'll hear a whirring and a ping and my car will start immediately instead of cranking several times. What could be causing this? Am I hearing that some sort of injector isn't working and may be possibly shorting somewhere?

I dunno about the "ping," but the whirring is your fuel pump running for a couple seconds to prime the system and build pressure. My car does this as well, and while it seems logical that it would do it every time you prepared to start the car, it's similarly intermittent.

:iiam:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
What transmission are you using with the B230FT? If you're keeping your M46, you won't have to change anything, but if you're swapping to an M47, you'll need to find a rear end from a '89 or newer 240 along with the electronic gauge cluster. The LH2.4 240s had a sensor in the rear end that provided a signal for the electronic speedo, so the M47 doesn't have any provision for driving a speedo cable.

Nor does the AW71 I swapped into my wagon, which is why I've been running without a speedometer for the past couple months. :argh:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Is anyone in this thread in any proximity to a yard with a/some 740 Turbo(s), specifically the 1985-1989 models? I need to get some intake parts for my +T project, but no one on Turbobricks seems to have the parts, and there aren't any in the local yards. Of course, I'd be willing to compensate you for the parts and your time.

Send me a message at ck299906 (at) ohio (dot) edu if this seems worth your while.

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 10, 2010

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

markdown posted:

I blew my motor. Anyone have an extra or know of any good rebuilders on the East coast?

Which car? What engine? What model year?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

DONT DO IT posted:

What are the correct plug orders on the Distributor Cap and block? I thought I set all the plugs on the cap just like the old, but all I could get out of it was a reminder of why people label these things. At least the rotor only went on one way.

The car ('83 240 Turbo) starts up nice and quick, but dies almost immediately. Are my diagrams correct? Firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2. So it would look like: 1A, 3B, 4C, 2D?

Distributor?!
A B
x
C D

Spark Plugs?!
-hood->
|
| 1 2 3 4
|

http://www.k-jet.org/files/greenbooks/TP30432-2_ignition_systems.pdf

The info in that link (which is a PDF file that you should probably save) should get you on the right track. If the dashed line in the "Spark Plugs" diagram is supposed to be your firewall, then that might be your problem-cylinder 1 is nearest to the front of the car, and cylinder 4 is nearest to the firewall.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
So, I've got a weird issue with my 245. When driving on roads that have fairly pronounced crowning or grooving as a result of wear, I get a moaning noise from my right front wheel that isn't dependent on speed-it just appears at one pitch and goes away when I turn the steering wheel slightly. Is this a symptom of a failing wheel bearing? It cropped up a couple months ago, and would only occur occasionally then, but on my drive back to school yesterday, it was nearly constant, and would only go away when the road curved enough to turn the wheel more than 10 degrees off center.

On the plus side, my turbo parts pile keeps growing-I've got a nice braided stainless oil feed hose on the way, and I received a 5-bar oil pressure gauge and sender last week, so once I get my turbo (which is being reclocked, last I checked), I'll just need a return line, some intake hoses, a computer, and a downpipe. From an ignition standpoint, I think I'm going to use the Bosch distributor from my B21FT until I turn up the boost past stock levels.

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 22, 2010

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

ch1mp posted:

The inline Fuel pump on my 89 240 stopped turning off after the key is removed. It used to run for about 15 seconds after the key was removed and now it is constant. I am thinking this must be the fuel pressure regulator but I just wanted to check with you guys in case there is a more likely culprit or if someone has experienced this before. Any one familiar with this?

One additional note: the fuel pump relay system failed a few months ago. The problem turned out not to be the relay itself the the wire supplying ground to the relay. The fix was to cut the ground wire to the relay harness and screw that to the frame (the relay was also replaced).

The FPR is a mechanical part and has no influence on whether the fuel pump runs or not. I'd be double-checking your relay circuit, since it should shut off immediately when the key is turned off. It sounds like you had some problems before that may or may not have been exacerbated by the repair.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

ch1mp posted:

Oh. I guess I was assuming that the fuel pump has some sort of pressure activated switch that turns it off when it runs against too much pressure and that a bad FPR wouldn't allow sufficient pressure to activate that switch.

Any way, I swapped out the FPR from the parts car (I assume it was good) and still no change.

Basically, when vacuum is applied to the FPR, it allows fuel to build to a certain pressure in the rail, and allows the excess to flow back to the tank. If it went bad, you'd have mixture issues, but the fuel pumps would still work just fine.

In a 240, when you switch on the key, the fuel pumps turn on for a short interval to prime the system, and then shut off. When you start cranking the engine, the the relay switches on, and the fuel pumps start doing their thing. If the engine starts, they keep pumping. If the car doesn't start, the pumps shut off again. I don't have a wiring diagram for an LH2.4 car in front of me, but the fuel pump circuit in my bastard 240 is triggered by the coil being energized when you turn the key on/crank it.

If the wire you moved around wasn't originally grounded to the body, it's quite possible that the circuit isn't triggering (or more accurately, de-triggering) any more.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

ch1mp posted:

So it turns out that the fuel pump will not turn off if the fuel pump relay is FULL OF WATER!! :confused: wtf :confused:

So a new relay returned the system to its previous state which is for the fuel pump to run for about 5 seconds after the key is removed. This does not seem correct. This leads me to believe that the green wire from the relay that I cut and hard grounded to the frame is in fact some kind of ground signal as opposed to a simple ground. I'm not great with wiring diagrams but that wire seems to be going to pin 20 of the computer - N on the diagram below:

Click here for the full 1136x1516 image.

I am starting to conclude that my computer is borked. :sweatdrop:

The relay in question is your main relay, not a fuel pump relay, although it does control the pump. That blue wire with a green stripe (or green with blue, as it may be) should not be grounded to the chassis at all, as it appears to be providing power or signal (through a diode in the relay) to your injectors, MAF, and IAC. Or something like that. Regardless of its function, it needs to be reconnected to the relay harness.

quote:

One additional note: the fuel pump relay system failed a few months ago. The problem turned out not to be the relay itself the the wire supplying ground to the relay. The fix was to cut the ground wire to the relay harness and screw that to the frame (the relay was also replaced).

In light of the info in your last post, I want to revisit this. I'm very interested in what you mean by "the fuel pump relay system failed." What symptoms led you to that conclusion, and what led you to believe that grounding that particular wire would fix it?

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 28, 2010

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

ch1mp posted:

This leads me to believe that the ecu is at fault - unless it is something to do with the engine speed signal but I don't see how that would account for the original failure when the fuel pump would not even prime.

Well, it wouldn't hurt to check the wire that provides that signal-if the computer can't tell that the engine is spinning, then it won't turn on the pumps. That's one of the things that the ECU uses that signal for, if it's anything like LH2.2.

Crispulus posted:

I didn't want to have it die in traffic so I kept revving it high at lights and such. When I got home I went to pop the hood so I could trickle charge it and noticed the exhaust to the turbo and the turbo were bright freaking orange.

That actually was a little cool.

Must be a K-Jet thing-my friend's 245T does the same thing when it's under heavy load.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
It's also worth checking your wastegate actuator and the vacuum line that controls it. I don't believe that the T3 that came on the original 240s has a CBV.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Your emissions will increase, but that's about it.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Your O2 sensor is pre-cat, so it shouldn't change anything. As for the lambda light, I believe that it's just triggered at a certain mileage interval (to indicate the need for O2 sensor replacement) and doesn't serve any diagnostic function. The greenbook for troubleshooting the lambda system doesn't even mention it, if that's any indication of its importance.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Late 850 wagons: Rust in the front edges of the front wings - how bad a sign is this? I may have found a car that isn't on fire or biting me but there's a touch or rust at the front end.

It seems very unusual for an 850 to rust in that area. I'd be looking for accident damage and/or dodgy repairs.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Crispulus posted:

Awwww. Okay. I was all excited about playing with electrics. But that was my first guess, looks like it was the correct one.

Edit. t-bricks seems to think that the o2 sensor should have never been after turbo before cat. Does anyone have a b21FT? Could you tell me where your o2 sensor is and/or take a picture?

On my 242T parts car, the O2 sensor was located at the bottom of the collector of the exhaust manifold, pointing straight up. The wire should be going to a connector near the firewall, if it's there at all.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Hey Crispulus-here's the K-Jet fault tracing chart from the greenbook. It doesn't exactly narrow things down, but it should give you a few places to start looking. I don't think that the O2 sensor should affect your idle; the car isn't in closed loop at that point.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Crispulus posted:

Good omens, eh?

Indeed. K-Jet is very sensitive to vacuum leaks, so it's definitely worth your time to go through and make sure that all the hoses are in good shape and are properly connected. At least it's easier on the turbo cars; I never bothered troubleshooting anything in my wagon when it still had the B21F in it because it was so hard to get to anything relating to the injection system with the fuel distributor and such crammed up under the intake.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
:fap:

I can't believe that that 122 is a Midwest car. I love the color.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
It might be the shifter bushings. This won't let you inspect them, but have you pulled the boot up from around the shifter to visually inspect what's going on underneath?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Xovaan posted:

My friend and I are gonna be pulling the engine from my 240 for the swap tomorrow. If anybody's in SoCal and knows a thing or two about this sort of thing, we're always open for a hand or two to wrench stuff and I'd compensate in beer and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. :buddy:

How'd it go?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

TheJeffers posted:

Right, that's probably the MAP. The pictures I posted are of my IAC.

That's not a MAP sensor. That's the air temperature sensor for the Regina system.

FCP Groton carries them if it's in need of replacement.

Given the codes you're getting, it sounds like you should examine your O2 sensor as well.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I honestly have no idea what it's supposed to look like or what the diagnostic process for it would be, but if it's really dirty, it can't hurt to replace it. Rex/Regina cars are a complete mystery to me. :downs:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

TheJeffers posted:

I believe that it's a provision for a cold-start injector, but I don't think I've ever seen a turbo car that has one. Rex/Regina cars, on the other hand, do, so it may be there for that purpose.

It's also extant in NA LH2.4 240s, but I think it came hooked up from the factory-if you go look at the parts car, the injector is installed on the underside of the intake manifold.

I love the look of the '73 140-I'd love to have a 145 from that model year. :swoon:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Xovaan posted:

*~PROGRESS~*

:awesomelon:

Glad to see that you're finally digging into it.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Just cut it off-it doesn't sound like it's worth saving at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Yeah, probably not. But that's some easy money if I can salvage it. The wires and connectors are in great shape-- it's just that the housing itself for the wires is completely hosed up and covered in electrical tape.

So take the electrical tape off :v: