Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I was gonna ask -- how many Volvos follow the number of doors rule for the last number? Didn't they stop doing that well before the end of the 240?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Hey, I thought this link was pretty cool, it's got Porsches, Vipers, Vettes, Mustangs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5G48jvO-LE

Oh yeah, and a couple Volvos. Kicking their asses.

I wonder if the Volvos AWD gave them such radically different lines that it help set up their passing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some more 122 candy:
http://bringatrailer.com/2010/07/27/1967-volvo-122-wagon

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Would you believe my horn seized because the opening faced forward and it was low enough to get splash from the rainwater bouncing off mulch and stuff? But you wouldn't have that problem, would you, what with your Compressor Fairy and what not.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

From a rallycross I went to. 142 with a carbed B20. He was in my run group so I didn't get any action shots:

He's going to try to vintage race it. I hope it happens.

e: I feel I'm misrepresenting things if I leave out the fact that that dude in the pic isn't the owner. The owner looks like that character actor that House gave that emasculating rectal exam to. Maybe not the best role to recall, but it's the only one I got right now.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 16, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

netwerk23 posted:

There's a guy on SwedeSpeed that totally whores out his picture of his scangauge mounted to his steering column in every single 'post your guages' thread. He does it so often it's something of a joke. Go to SS and look for any guage thread and there's no mistaking his, then you can PM him with any questions. I'm pretty sure it'll show horsepower but not boost.

How is there that many post your gauges thread?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oxphocker posted:

My V70R is 236hp =)

I thought all the Rs of that generation were 300hp?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kibblesnbits posted:

If anyone is around seacoast NH/MA/ME, there's an '89 780 Bertone on CL. I saw it on my way home and the guy seems willing to haggle.
http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/2356272162.html

Neat as hell. Much of the look of the Maserati Bi-turbo with presumably few of the headaches.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I'm getting rid of mine. SoCal isn't the kind of place to have nice paint without worrying all the time about idiots scratching it.

When I get it, the car's gonna get:

-T5 w/ short-throw shifter
-IPD Torque Rods
-Koni Shocks/Struts
-IPD Springs
-IPD Panhard Bar
-New driver's seat
-Walbro 255
-LC1, 3"amm, browntops, chips
-Exhaust routed to be fender-exit
-Completely re-do all shoddy wiring in the car with proper heat shrink, gauging, connectors, and grounds

The goal for this car is to be exactly what I wanted in my first car: loud, uncomfortable, quick, and basically all-go no-show.

My friend has a welder and tons of scrap metal and fabrication parts at the Nissan shop he works at down here in SoCal.

So are you ditching your Miata plans or is this the ever more extreme project car complement?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

as halfway crooks posted:

anyone in the new england area (north shore mass tbe) wanna buy my black 96 855r w under 110k, im movin across the atlantic in august and it probably doesnt make sense to keep it in storage :(

im gonna snap some fresh pics and get a nice lil write up of all the pros and cons, not quite sure what its worth but ive got 3 months or so to sell it so hopefully ill be able to figure everything out

never sold a car before im scared yall, hold me tight

Does the 5 mean a wagon? I'd be interested if it were a sedan.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

It does. You should still be interested. :colbert:

I was speeding along in my S2000 on I-93 when this black 850 marched up behind me. I moved into the slower lane and it boosts up and whooshes by me. It was an 850R sedan, and it fuckin rocked. That is why I'm into them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Thoughts on this 242 Turbo?:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/2612840491.html
I'd be using it basically as a toy/beater/rallyx car, so as long as it sticks together, I'd be happy. Links on model specific issues very welcome. Iirc, that electric OD tranny isn't very desirable.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Thoughts on this 242 Turbo?:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/2612840491.html
I'd be using it basically as a toy/beater/rallyx car, so as long as it sticks together, I'd be happy. Links on model specific issues very welcome. Iirc, that electric OD tranny isn't very desirable.

Saw it today, though because of miscommunication, the seller had it in his garage not ready to test drive. There's rust on one rear quarter, but otherwise pretty good. He's a Volvo nut and takes it to all the shows. If it's a driver, I'm pretty tempted. It was sitting on another set of wheels; he said selling it with the Virgos in the picture would run the price up to 2000, after floating 1500 for without.

He's a really cool guy and has been in the VCOA for ages, which I think makes me trust his assessment of the car. That and he's a jet engineer who works on the car himself.

The one issue he brought up was that it doesn't seem to want to go into OD 5th until the tranny's been warmed up over a few miles. He said he redid all the wiring from the shifter to the tranny but it hasn't helped, and that he has thrown a replacement solenoid at the problem.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think he said he checked the fluid level and it wasn't that. He definitely knew it was supposed to be ATF.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I finally got to drive the 1984 242 Turbo I mentioned earlier. Some notes:

The car was more or less what I expected in terms of feel, except there's plastic cladding on the trans tunnel next to the gas pedal, which makes it really narrow. Brake-gas spacing is also narrow, so I can barely step on the gas without sliding along the plastic and catching the brake. I guess I need to get used to using my toes or possibly wearing Pilotis all the time.

Other negatives: the shift knob popped off in my hand when I did my second 1-2 shift. It's not screwed in. It's rubber while the collar it sits on in splined. Since the knob has the electronic 5th gear button, it takes a lot of fiddling to rewire it back into the wires in the shifter shaft. I would need to do something to secure the knob better, or otherwise change my shift motion to accomodate.
Sadly, the car has bullet fuses like the 190E 2.3-16v I had, and the loose one here is the main fuel pump. He said that of the 2 times the fuse came loose, at least once it wasn't over any bump or because of shakes.

The car comes with the intercooler upgrade kit:
http://www.turbobricks.com/mods.php?content=art0002
The acceleration wasn't glacial. I feel like it could keep up with the 190E, at least thanks to the short gearing. Is there any way I can check to see what the maximum boost is, or to review that hose adjustment mentioned in the link?

Here's where I got a taste of how well it's been maintained -- I asked for a standard check of the lights, horn, wipers, etc., and the high beams didn't work right. Pass side lights would go off when high beams were triggered. Instead of making up some story about how that would probably be an easy fix, the seller (a retirement age jet engineer with a West Indies accent) started disassembling the headlamp housing to take a peak. We tried a few things with a spare (but wrongly sized) hi beam lamp, but without a voltmeter, we couldn't tell for sure where the break was. He's actually going to pursue investigating the switch in the dashboard light as well as the light wiring, which won't be fun.

I shoulda gotten a picture -- 2-door 240s look great.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

zundfolge posted:

The switch is a good place to check, but making sure your grounds and connectors are decently clean is at least as important. There's a large, rectangular metal relay inside the driver's side fender that handles the brights-if that's not working properly or is dirty, then that could lead to some issues too.
I heard that relay clicking pretty solidly when the hi-beams on the left came on. The harnesses below it looked in good shape. But couldn't say anything for certain without a voltmeter.

quote:

One last thing to check-there's a big gray rectangular connector on the firewall above the intake manifold. If the wires that lead into it are crispy, melted, or bare, then the wiring harness has the less heat resistant insulation, and should probably be replaced or repaired straight away.

I took a cursory look around the engine bay and didn't notice any issues with the wiring. The translucent helical wiring looms are pretty cool; never seen those before.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

Protip: FWD 850s are terrible in the dirt.

Actaully, I just got stuck behind an abandoned school. My dream of rallycrossing this car will never happen.

They're ok. Tend to be more stable than tossable. If CatTerrist were here, he'd say drive harder.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'd say the ride height would be a bit better than most of the cars out there, but not sure what it is stock on 850s. I'd say the CV is just a lil too sluggish to be rewarding for its RWD nature. At least around the rallyx courses used in my region.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I went to a rallycross today. There was a V70R hauling rear end out there. It was big and stable, but the AWD definitely matched it well. Much less drama than the FWD 850 driven by the same father-son team.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Really cool rally prepped 245:
http://www.brickboard.com/CLASSADS/index.htm?id=15852

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I mixed up LloydDobler's project thread and this one.

LloydDobler posted:

I just drove an 01 manual turbo for 8 years, and traded it in for an 06 manual AWD turbo. So I think they're great but they do have a few gremlins to watch out for, depending on year and mileage.

The XCs are solid cars and the prices have recently dropped like a rock for some reason. General rule is to stay away from 01-02 automatics because the transmissions had issues. They were generally worked out by 03 but still if you drive one and anything is funky with the shifting, like flaring, clunking, or hard shifts, run away. If it drives smooth and clean then it should be ok. Personally I would shop for 05-07 as these were the final years of the P2 platform wagon and generally had all the issues worked out. Also a quick AWD test is to put a front wheel on gravel and see if you can spin it. If it spins the AWD is not working, and there are many expensive possibilities as to why. Only a few cheap ones.

So pay attention to the autos and test the AWD. I remember you saying the angle gear was one of the issues.
Are there any significant mechanical differences between the V70 and the XC trim? Just ride height?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Am I crazy, or did they not have side impact crash testing a lot sooner? I'm trying to look up mid 2000s V70 crash ratings, and I find just this:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/volvo/850-s70-4-door-sedan/2000
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2004/VOLVO/V70/4%252520DR
Does it not have a US crash test rating? How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some of the YT videos titled NHTSA were NCAP tests.