Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
Amazon has had "Warehouse" stock of Bosch "Quietcast" rotors the last two times I've replaced the rotors on my Volvo. Paid 25 bucks a piece, and they came in brand new never been opened packaging. Really nice quality.

Admittedly, they were packed in a box with a tube of Loctite that I ordered at the same time, that the rotors smashed into little bits, and covered all the cardboard in the box with goo, but that was probably my fault for ordering them in the same order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008

zundfolge posted:

Is it the 5-speed auto? If it's shifting fine now changing the fluid shouldn't do any harm, but on the other hand if it's shifting fine now I wouldn't sweat changing it that much. If you do decide to do a drain and fill use JWS 3309 compatible fluid (Mobil 3309 is a good one, so's Toyota T-IV), measure what comes out, and replace only that quantity. The dipstick is only accurate at certain fluid temperatures and if you don't have VIDA you can't get that information easily.

The IPD kit that relies on disconnecting the transmission cooler and pumping out a quart at a time, and replacing it with fresh fluid has kept my FWD S60 shifting like new with over 200k on the clock. Bought my Mobil 3309 in a case off Amazon for cheap. You don't strictly need IPD's kit, but you will need the stupid little plastic clip that secures the line into the cooler. It will usually break.

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I bought XC90 V8 with bad valve cover and timing cover gaskets. What a horrible job. I think the book time on this is something around 18 hours from the dealer, and this is one of those circumstances that I would agree with every minute. Everything ontop of the engine has to come out and it's all miserable and cramped. Love the car, and the engine is an absolute beauty, since it's a Yammy V8 (that eventually became the Yamaha marine outboard), but this is one of those "I would not wish this on my enemies" kind of jobs.

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
For sure. All new idlers, new water pump, rebuilt the power steering pump, and I've got myself half convinced to replace the perfectly working alternator with a new one, just so I don't have to mess with this again. I'll never have the access like this again, because I'm not doing this job again, at least without pulling the subframe and engine. I've been so spoiled with 2.5T's and how easy they are to work on, and how relatively small they are in their respective engine bays.