Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010
"... can be reduced by replacing or cleaning the flame trap in the PCV system with every oil change,"

Woah! I was told to replace the PCV every 70k miles (which, its about due), not every oil change! That would be a little ridiculous seeing as you have to take off the intake manifold and a whole bunch of other poo poo to do it..... Then again I've never done it, but from what I'm told its an annoying job.

Besides that though Jeffers, you did an awesome job. Good OP.

On to Volvo cred:

If you see this hansom wagon driving around Ohio with a tall lerpy guy driving it, that's me. Howdy!

Also, aside from this car.... there is a chance I'll be picking up a 245 here soon for two Lemons events at the end of this summer. We have a team (from turbobricks) and a car (again, from turbobricks... FOR FREE!!!!) and a whole bunch of free poo poo (from the generous members of turbobricks) so I might take part in driving an old hunk of Swedish metal to glory (or some such thing).

Edit: For some reason I cant post pics...... just imagine a black 855, and imagine it looks good.

Sviatoslav fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

TheJeffers posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll go ahead and edit them into the OP shortly. :)

Sviatoslav, I actually made a mistake with the PCV info-people apparently recommend taking out the flame trap and cleaning it at each oil change, not totally replacing it. I'll fix that. :downs:

Hmmm, I'll have to figure out how to clean that... as I've never done it. Welp, I'm changing my oil this weekend anyway so I'll have to figure this out.

A blown rear main has had me scared shitless since I bought the car last July. Nothing really to worry about, just when I got the car everyone told me "Oh sure its a loving tank, will last forever...... oh by the way a bad PCV to a rear main will make your life a living hell" so I've been super nervous about it, seeing as life likes to make things hell for me.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

8ender posted:

If I was looking around for a reasonably quick, fairly reliable 90's Turbo Volvo which one would you guys recommend?

If you can, find a 95 850 T5R... in yellow... if you can.

.... if you can find that, then you have super powers and I'll need you to find the other half of this rare ancient Egyptian amulet...

If you are looking for something to drive daily, go the 850 route... I've heard bad things about S70's handling like poo poo, but I've never experienced driving one. 850's are cheap as dirt anymore and they have some of the best seats Volvo ever put in a car. Many of them came with turbos and from there its pretty much just bolting poo poo on til you are happy with how fast it is... Also they have 5 cylinders!!!! That is way cool. Unfortunately they are Front Wheel Drive, so you are limited with performance... but it will be a reasonably quick car.

If you are looking for a cheap fun project car to wrench on and make quick... but don't have to drive every day, there is nothing cooler than seeing a 245 smoking the back tires.

When people ask which Volvo's are the best, I tell them the wagons. There is a Volvo wagon out there that will meet your needs regardless of what they are. It will look ten thousand times better compared to the sedan and everyone will think you are awesome.

Sviatoslav fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 15, 2010

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

That might be a mistake, or maybe you meant the S90 (which was an updated 960 with very soft suspension) because the S70 suspension is pretty much identical in every way to the 850, and they handle great. The S90s/960s don't handle bad, per se, they just aren't very moddable and are set for luxury.

Nope, S70, but you have to consider my source... Turbobricks.... I was told by more than one member there that if I went from my 850 to a S70 it would be like night and day in terms of handling.

What do they know, they only concern themselves with cars that are powered by tractor motors.

Also, I have to say, Lloyd, you have been an inspiration to me ever since your V70 build thread. Thanks for being so awesome!

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Get the Euro Volvos like the 300- and 400-series into the OP too, and a mention about how Volvo Group/AB Volvo (the big rig/boat/plane group of companies) has been an unrelated company since they sold Volvo Cars to Ford in '99. OP needs more info for seriously-uninformed newcomers, who may not be from AI (we can gateway-drug them with Volvo). My favorite megathread OPs are the ones in Games for a specific title, they usually cover every angle someone could be coming in from. Good start with the model designation explanations.

Problems section: the '00-'02 (I think) v70 transmission-killer stop/idle software thing from the old thread. The rest of it I oughta think about for a little while; I'm probably going to do my own important-poo poo scrape on the old thread, I want to save a lot of it for my own "Volvo Archive".

Also, you got to show some love for the old old Volvos 122 140 544 p1800 (also be sure to mention Irv Gordons 2.6 million mile p1800)

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

This might be a weird question, but do the headlight wipers on a Volvo do anything. I've never seen them move.

I use mine to knock off snow.... but they are need to be refitted, because they've never been able to actually touch the headlamp. There are a lot of things on my car that don't quite fit the way they should which has me concerned (previous owners gave no love to the car).

I know there is hosing on the wipers that are theoretically there for dispensing washing fluid, but I've never seen it personally.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

as halfway crooks posted:

Goddamn gently caress you 855 tailgate rattle. gently caress you so hard.

http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=128,370,498&P_ID=212&CAT_ID=498&V_ID=629

I believe that is what you are looking for.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

I wish, the rivets on the tailgate lock itself have loosened and cause the lock mechanism (and thus the whole tailgate) to rattle back and forth 1mm or so. The kicker is that it's a $140ish part. Gonna hit a couple scrapyards tomorrow and see what I can dig up.

Well if you can't find anything in the junk yard check out a place called erie vovo... its a huge Volvo junk yard in New York, they have cheap parts (I want to say free shipping, but I think that's just the engines or something) Their website is a pain in the rear end, but if you can find your way through the site its alright.

I know around here a Volvo in a junkyard is kind of unseen.... every once and a while one appears. It really sucks for fixing your car on the cheap.

This week its the o2 sensor, soldering the ABS, and getting my cooling fan working again. Then I need to do change the oil and my wheel barrings in the front. It needs some tlc but I did just drive 3 hours straight and put a total of 500 miles on it this weekend and its still so comfortable I could drive some more. It more than deserves my attention now.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Can you drill the rivets out and replace 'em with new rivets or bolts? Got a picture?

My junkyard offer from the last thread is still open. We have two local yards with at least 30 Volvos, mostly 2/7/8/900 with a few late '90s v70s, a v40 and an early '00s v70. Anything you want, post it. I'll try to find it and it's yours for cost and shipping. You do take on the same risk as if you were in a junkyard with no middleman, ie I'll do my best to verify the item is intact and functional, but if you want a computer component, welp, I can verify that it looks good on the outside.

I get a kick out of figuring out how to correctly disassemble stuff and I need more reasons to do it (and I always find things I need while I'm in there), plus I like helping out Volvo people. Sir Tonk is probably my best reference for this.

drat, well I'm going to need a radiator fan or a fan relay here in the next few days.... I'll be finding out which one tonight.... also I may need another ABS module because tonight I'm taking mine apart and attempting to resolder it, and if I gently caress up I'll be wanting a new one.

I'll try my luck around here but if nothing comes up then I might take you up on your offer.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

There's a guy on the Volvospeed forums that'll resolder it for you for $40 shipped, forums name "Mattymoo". He owns.

Will he give me credit in my electronics class too?

I agree Mattymoo owns, but I'll try my luck. Whats the worst that happens? I don't have ABS. IN THE SUMMER!!!!!! Oh god how will I live!?!?!?! Just fine most likely so I see nothing wrong in using that chunk of plastic and silicone to prove I can solder and most likely I'll fix it... I've soldered before, many times... I'm pretty sure I can do this, and if not I don't care (but I will be full of personal sadness and a new sense of humility)

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010
So far I've learned that you can fix the ABS module on the 850 with ease if you aren't a little bitch about it, like I was at the beginning. After a while I was just thought "gently caress it, if it breaks I'll buy a new one" and broke some plastic, but got the thing apart. It will all cover up with glue later from what I've seen in pictures on Matt's Volvo Site.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

82Daion posted:

Midwest dudes, there's a little meet happening in Yellow Springs, OH on May 1st. It's a Turbobricks thing, but any and all Volvo folk are welcome. Here's the thread.

I'll be there in my 850 with working ABS, BECAUSE I AM A SOLDERING GOD!!!!!!

Also: Crispulus, you loving own so goddamned hard its not even funny. I thought I was going to be bad rear end with my engine code on my right foot, but you sir are a visionary.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010
As of this morning I am only down to one major issue with my 855!!! TAKE THAT, o2 SENSOR :commissar: !!!

...now about that cooling fan....

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Cakefool posted:

La la, not listening, he said they're great, brb with the first car I find :buddy:

This is seriously what I did.... well the second 850 I found, but still.

Moral of this story: I don't regret it? GO OUT THERE AND GET THAT VOLVO!!

(and make sure its a wagon)

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Hope this breaks my French car habit! :suicide:

Sacre Merd!

Even if the 850 you buy is on fire, you won't regret it anymore than your other car purchases.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Well, anything I get has to rival the BX :ohdear: for comfort, the Xsara for 'loving refuse to die' the AX for easy-to-find-spares and the current 206 for practicality.

Also, if it doesn't to the automotive equivalent of stabbing me in the balls (french build quality:suicide: ) that'd be a bonus.

Well I've sat in great many cars (though admittedly no Citroen's) spanning a great many years and my 850 is one of the most comfortable I've ever rested my rear end in... and I get to drive it every day. Refusal to die: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJgqvRidSBk&feature=related Parts are free a lot of the time, as long as you are nice to turbobrickers. And my 850 gets 30mpg.

Also no ball stabbing! :woop:

Remember. First one you see.

GO!

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010
Howdy Volvo Megathread!

So, lets talk about my 96 850 and its overheating problem. My first attempt at repairing it was replacing my thermostat because its cheap. Then, by playing around with the cooling fan relay and my DMM I discovered that my relay wasn't working. A nice turbobricker at the Ohio meet shipped me a new relay which according to the DMM is functional, however this has not fixed the problem. The fan itself is functioning because I hooked up jumper cables to it and the motor is just fine. I'm assuming that it isn't my engine coolant temperature sensor because when I hook up my OBDII scanner to the car I get a readout of the ECT. So its not the fan, relay, thermostat, or the ECTS. What could it be?

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Weird, I wonder if that's the difference between AWD and FWD. I average about the same as you on both my 5cyl cars on city driving. And I keep my foot in it a lot.

My fwd 855 once got 32mpg to a tank (my record in that car) but that was when it was working properly.... speaking of which....

So I replaced my o2 sensor and everything was fine and dandy for about 3 weeks. Yesterday I hit a massive puddle/ flooded section of road and shortly after I get a check engine light. I plugged in my OBD II scanner and it says o2 bank one sensor one no circuit continuity or something along the lines of that. I haven't checked it out yet, but I'm willing to bet its something I've hosed up.

Any guesses before I get under there tomorrow with a multimeter and check it out?

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

kinkster posted:

Can I ask a "If you had $____ to spend on a used Volvo, what would you buy?"

My sis is passing on her '85 Volvo to me but I think it's about time for an upgrade.

Are you asking if we had unlimited money what used Volvo we would buy, or what upgrades for the 85 240 we would do.

A.) 04 V70R (or if you suck S60R)

B.) Praise Jesus! Slam it and +T!!

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

kinkster posted:

I'm guessing the S40s are no different?

Get an 855. They grow on trees, dead reliable, and well within your price range.

You won't regret it.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

Get the free '85 240 (because it's actually RWD and RWD is better), put some HD Bilstein struts and shocks on it, some 16" or 15" wheels that are actually lighter than the stock steelies along with some lower profile tires with a stiffer sidewall, find a junkyard IPD rear anti-sway bar, and then take your bulletproof car along with the remaining $4000 and go buy a lot of drugs and beer.

Or use that money to turbo.

Hell, Drugs AND Turbo! +T's are cheap with enough JB weld and zip ties.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

guys i finally got volans (w original pzeros still at 80%)

i got volans

volans

volans

Dope!

Speaking of rims.... anyone got an extra set of ... I want to say cetius... rims. Those rounded 6 spoke wheels on 850's. I'll be looking for a set of winter rims soon.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

ssh posted:

He's showing the tread.

Isn't the traditional way of showing tread on a tire done with a penny... if the tread is over Abe's head then the tires are kosher, or something like that.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

mikerock posted:

I traded my 98 V70XC yesterday for 1997 850.

First thing I do is get rid of the weather trim on the windows. Then I am going to fix those dents. I also want to replace those wheels as they're old man as hell (the car smells a bit like an old man.) May need a bit of repainting in some areas but there is no rust anywhere and the interior is in great shape. The 5 speed is smooth as gently caress comepared to my old 240s . The clutch is a bit stiff but I like it. 160 000 kms, 1000 less than my V70! Overall I am really happy as it has all the features I was looking for when I was car shopping last time. Pretty rare car up here.

Nice car, my favorite paint/ interior combo and in an AWD wagon.... very nicely done sir. Very nicely done.

Was the V70 cloth? I know my 850 (with leather) has a distinct 850 smell that no matter what I spill/ smoke/ whatever in my interior the smell will stay. There was a thread about it in off topic on turbobricks a while back... I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Welcome to that 850 smell, you will grow to love it.

Killer 855!

Edit: fix your damned headlight wipers!

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

ACID POLICE posted:

Some of you may know I drive a 1996 850 GLT. I would have loved to go for a turbo or T5 model, but the GLT was free whereas the turbo was $6000 (I still have yet to pay for a single car I have owned).

I don't want to bother selling the GLT for a turbo model, because I don't have THAT much spare money. However, if I could get a good deal on a new turbocharged engine I've got everything I need to do an engine swap. I know people have put Corvette V8's in their 850's before, is there any chance anyone here's done a Volvo engine swap? I'm just trying to find what there is out there that I could realistically get and put in my 850.

Well your 850 is wrong wheel drive if you are planning a V8 swap (those v8 swaps you are thinking of are in 740's), unless you plan on redoing the entire rear end (You will find that the delta link rear suspension is an absolute bitch, which is why my car is on jack stands right now *shakes fist* )

There is a place called Erie Vovo (not a typo)that will sell you a white block for the cheapest I've found.... but you might as well just turbo the engine you got.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010
So, this is what I pulled off of my rear suspension in comparison to whats going in.... see something missing?

AH! There it is! Still attached to the arm...

Side view of the bushing in place

I managed to cut that out

But the bolt and the piece around it is still on and the head of the bolt is rounding.

If there were a way to bring that arm out of the other arm, lower it and get something on there that way it would be much easier but I don't want to disassemble the entire rear end.

Got any suggestions?

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Comedy option: riced-out Honda VTEC.

Penetrating oil, heat, then vicegrips, a pair you don't mind hitting with a hammer. And a hammer, a metal one, at least 2 pounds. 3 pounds is better. Put them on oriented so that you can hit the big side, not the side that springs open. Put them on so tight you're hoping you don't break the hinge.

Oh, and a new bolt.

The problem is that its in here:

and I can't fit a socket or vice grips in there. What I need to is loosen the arm and swing that part out to work on it with room.

By the way that picture is no longer accurate. I cut away the rubber side of the bushing so its only the bolt going into the arm.

Tomorrow should be a fun day.

Anyone got advice on maneuvering the trail arm around with a minimal amount of work?

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Whilst poking around waiting for oil to drain I found the top motor mount appears to need a new bush - is this a simple job?

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Its a simple job, go to IPD and spend the $25 on it there. Comes with a lifetime warranty. The easiest thing I've done on my car.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

mikerock posted:

Just what I was looking for, thanks. Volvospeed has the part number for the pads but not the rotors.

There's your problem.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

alakath posted:

It's time for a new car, and after eyeing GTIs and WRXes I now find myself strongly considering a new Volvo C30. Is buying a C30 right now a good idea?

I'm a little concerned about the Geely handover. I'm also not really up to date on Volvo or C30 reliability; I know the 80s models were tanks, but that's about it.

Also, if I were to buy a C30, I'd likely take advantage of the European Delivery program as I've always wanted to see Sweden. Has anyone done that? How was it?

Get an S40 or V50... same car as the C30 but in AWD and better looking imo. It has the same 5cyl that they've been using since the mid 90's and its a tank of an engine, but I really don't know about the things built around it, so I can't vouch for that. Its not going to be like a 240 in terms of maintenance so just get that idea out of your head.

I wouldn't worry too much about Geely. Production and design will still be Swedish. Also Geely doesn't want to gently caress with a good thing. This is their first adventure into the global auto world and they don't want to make a bad first impression. Honestly I think we will see a return to Volvo's roots (stupidly easy and dead reliable cars with comfort that rivals the best) instead of this Ford pushed goal to compete with Audi, BMW, and Mercedes... but that's just speculation/ talking out of my rear end on my part. They could gently caress everything up and kill Volvo... who knows.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I need to go kill myself now thanks. The Midwest has terrible car culture.

If I didn't have such a good job here, I would be outta here.

On another note, I tried doing some googling and the dates are fuzzy... What are the last years of RWD Volvo's are? And more specifically, what is the best year for a rear wheel drive turbo car?

Get a 965. That or a 245... Speaking of which. Jeffers, I hear that eithr you or your brother has a M-4something trans. If you do let me know, I might be interested in buying it if you are willing to part with it.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

zundfolge posted:

Svenski, I don't have any more (good) M4X transmissions. I would be willing to give you cash for the wagon and pick it up from Columbus if you ever decide to come off it, though.

Bummer. I actually got the wagon home this weekend with out so much as a hick up. I don't know what all the fuss was about, thing drove like a champ. Now its time to gut and rebuild and reconfigure just about everything.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Needs to be telescopic. Tilt is a "meh" bonus; should have been more specific. I don't fit in cars, any of them; legs are too long. Trying to ease that pain a little.

gently caress it, buy a complete working seat and have done with it. I'll see if I can find one when I get to work on Monday. We could have it shipped to you in one or two days depending on where in PA you are (I forget). I guess I should let you guys know I got a job for a junkyard automotive recycler in May or so. Mostly post-00 models but some older stuff. I was going to make a thread but I'm so loving busy. This has been the busiest year of my entire life.

If someone does need 850/s-v70 leather heated power seats in Volvo racing beige I have a set that I was going to swap into my 850, and then into my 245, and now they are sitting in my basement. No cracks, and minimal normal fade. I live on the northern part of the Ohio PA boarder.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

astrollinthepork posted:

So a couple more issues have popped up! It looks like PCV system needs replaced. Everywhere I have read has said that it's fairly straight forward, but I'd like to have a no BS analysis of the difficulty if anyone would be so kind.

No lie, its a bit of a bitch. Compared to every other PCV system in existence its brutally hard. You'll have to pull the intake manifold (make sure you have a universal joint for your socket). It may be a good idea to take off the fan and fan shroud to get more hand room in there. Aside from that its pretty straight forward. IPD and FCP both have kits for the job with everything included, I think the one from FCP is a few dollars cheaper but not by much. It took me way too long to do it my first time, I think if I had to do it again right now I would be able to bang it out in half the time. Its just an annoying and awkward job that shouldn't be as difficult as it is, and that fact just makes it more annoying. Its more of a psychological thing.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Okay, question:

My fiancee just got a '97 850 base sedan with 206k. It appears to suffer from the normal Volvo niggles (odometer doesn't work, TRACS light is on), the worst of which is the clogged PCV (I did the dipstick check). Since the PCV system is retardedly annoying to change, I was wondering if I could do the following:

1. Remove the hose from the PCV. Plug this off with a rubber plug, let it dangle someplace.
2. Stick a new, same diameter hose on the PCV. Run this to a air/water separator (for use as a oil separator).
3. Run a hose from the separator to the intake, where the present reintroduction hose sits. Plug the old hose.

I would think this would leave the old system entirely out of it, but not capable of randomly leaking, reduce crankcase pressure, and maintain vacuum (via the reintroduction). Does anyone see any issues with this? To be honest, I'm not overly familiar with PCV stuff, and it looks like this is the Godzilla of stupid PCV setups. I was thinking of perhaps putting a check valve in my "new" system as well, to ensure the pressure only goes one way; is this redundant, considering the PCV does the same thing?

I wouldn't look for ways to cut corners or half rear end it. Its really not that bad. I busted my PCV out in about 5hrs (3hrs too long) with a hand full of my friends and some beers. Yes it is an absolute pain in the rear end compared to every other PCV set up ever in existence, but its like saying its the most painful paper cut in all of history. You won't die. Spend an afternoon with your Volvo. It will take less time and energy to just do the job straight up. Here's a run down.
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28487

The worst part is the two intake manifold bolts that you need a universal joint for. You may find that it helps to take off the fan shroud, I had the local wildlife do that for me with the help of a huge buck.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010
I think I'll use some of my day off sick to let you guys know what Volvo shenanigans I've been up to. I am in possession of a 1981 245, a Ford 302, a T5 trans, and a big old turbo... and other assorted things here and there. I would be working on it right now if it weren't for a broken rib and an allergy to the pain medicine I got for that, so I don't have many pictures right now. As it stands at this moment the B230 and AWwhatever are sitting next to the car and the engine bay is stripped and ready for painting. I'm in the ordering process for the rest of the items I'll need to get to the point where I'm ready to start putting things into place. What I, personally am, doing is really nothing impressive, all the hard work has been done already I'm just bolting poo poo together and reaping the rewards. Turbobricks is down right now (lol) but searching for Fjord 282 will lead you to the project thread by 89sleepr240... that's all going in my wagon. I bought everything but the 242 from 89sleepr240, and the 245 I got from him too so really this would be impossible with out Dan. As for suspension I plan on making some coil overs and spring seats while I still have access to my schools fab shop and some Kaplhenke camber plates may be in order. I may make up some adjustable everylinkageIcan for shits and giggles and practice. In regards to interior I'm thinking plad everything and hard wood floors in the back. No sound system because it would be pointless... the car will be too damned loud. I should try to figure something for the exhaust, but right now its trouble enough to route it out of the engine bay. I may have to cut the firewall. My friend is convinced that the solution is hood stack right off the turbo, but I'm against anything that involves cutting up a flathood. I may toy around with the idea of the exhaust out the fender right in between the passenger tire and the door. We'll see. I need to get the engine together and the engine bay ready.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I'm looking for a new car, and it's rapidly boiling down to a Volvo C30 R-Design and a Subaru WRX sedan. I'm wondering how good an engine the B5254T7 is. If I'm reading things correctly, it's a variation on a 20-year-old design. Can it really handle 227 hp / 236 lb*ft of torque? How well is it going to respond to flogging?

Furthermore, has anyone heard of a trailer hitch being installed on one? I was chatting with the Volvo mechanic. He did not have a hitch kit for the C30 but mentioned that other models had a 150 lb tongue weight.

B5whatever engines are as solid as they come anymore. The modular inline 4/5/6 "whiteblock" engines have been in production since the early 90's and have contributed to Volvos reputation for reliability. My B5254 from 96 has 180k on it and is still taking abuse and neglect from me on a daily basis. In regards to it making power, apparently you'll have to worry about turbo plumbing before you have to worry about the engine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b5CnIkpNeU Infact, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the B5254t? was making 300hp and just shy under 300ft/lbs in the S60/V70R? So, you'll have an engine that is far more capable than what your given.... a visit to iPd can change that in short order.

What you should be looking at is a V50 T5 AWD with the 6 speed. Its the C30, but with AWD and a poo poo ton more room and better looks imo.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

You can get it if you do OSD (Oversea Delivery Program, where you get $3000 off the sticker price, two round-trip plane tickets to Gothenburg, two nights in a hotel, and your car delivered to you right off the factory line, and available in 4 diesel flavors and the much wider range of Euro colors; they cover your insurance while you're there, you can drive it for however long you want, then return it to the factory so they can ship it to your local dealer in the US), which you should do if it's at all possible with your schedule. Everyone who's willing to buy new in the first place should take advantage of OSD, it's awesome.

Jesus christ! How is this program real? Can you get the diesel options in the US?

dietcokefiend posted:

I need to part out a 91 245 SE pretty quick. Basically this car has been begging to go for a long time and its going to be easier parting some of the smaller items and donating the rest than selling the car as a whole (I think). Figured this Volvo thread might be a good place to start if anyone wants any of this.

Main items that might interest someone that are on this car:

The BBS-style 14" SE wheels
VDO gauges inside with the 3-guage mounting thing as well as clock/volt
Bilstein HD shocks/struts
Rear overload springs
IPD strut bar
IPD strut to firewall bars
IPD 25/25mm sways
ENEM V15 n/a cam

I am honestly not looking for much if anything for some of these items. My main interest right now is getting rid of it, but putting these nicer things into someones hands who appreciates them more than a junkyard where a donation would probably land it.

Location is Cincinnati, OH.

I'd be interested in the Bilsteins and springs if they haven't been taken already. I'm in Cleveland, OH.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010
So, hey guys! Guess what? I have a 245. Its blue with a black hood.

Here it is next to its sister, my DD 855... which is black with a blue hood...

One night, for the benefit of the 245 I slammed my 855...

Lowering springs? Hacked coils? HA! I got something better!

Those with an eye for detail will notice that there is a 302 and some turbo poo poo and some bitching heads and a whole bunch of other poo poo needed to put a 5.0L V8 into a 30 yearold station wagon.

I drove from Dayton, Oh to Cleveland, Oh with my poor poor 855's rear end dragging on the ground.

I've been pretty busy lately with the project. As it sits now it looks like this.

The 302 (yes I'm using a Swedish flag as an engine cover :sweden:)

The turbo poo poo

There is obviously a lot more poo poo going on. Last night I almost hung myself with the wiring harness because at the moment it seemed like an easier way out... it still sort of seems that way.

Sviatoslav fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010
My original plan was to make it into an autox or rallyx car with the b23 and in a 15min phone call it developed into this stupid project that I'm not too sure what to do with besides finish it... I'm figuring this all out as I go along.

The turbo is a t6 with some goofy air research intake side.