Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
Picked up an 02 V70XC for $2500 off the funniest old yooper out in South Range, one of those fabled California cars we talk about up here, not a speck of rust. Bought at 149k, sitting at 152k now.

Gave her a pretty thorough tune up myself (fluid changes, coils/plugs, filters, etc.) and only had one major issue, a leaking cam seal that was patched up for less than $400 along with a new timing belt. Since then not so much as a hiccup. She absolutely sings on the road and I don't think I've ever been in a more comfortable car. Love seeing that "You have 0 message(s)" display.

My beautiful brown baby:

And the OG fuel filter I pulled off:

Dirt McGuirk fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
My 02 V70XC has developed a stalling issue when at normal operating temp, car dies when coming to a stop as revs drop below 700ish. No OBD codes but the Volvo-specific reader brought up a LTFT code so I'm assuming there's a vacuum leak somewhere. My old ride (05 Focus) had almost the exact same issue with a cracked PCV hose.

Anyway I'm replacing the upper radiator hose tomorrow so I'll be under the hood regardless ready to spray starter fluid on any and every vacuum hose, anybody encounter a similar issue? Brakes feel fine so I'm assuming the booster is ok. Haven't looked at the ETM because 154k seems really late for that recall-specific issue to crop up.

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
Spraying starter fluid all over the intake and vacuum lines yielded exactly nothing and she passed the glove test with flying colors. No stalling on the way to/from NAPA.

I want to clean the MAF but holy hell this thing doesn't want to come out. Next day I've got off I'll put her up on the ramps and check the underside bits.

Update edit: Pulled the sensor from the housing and sprayed it down with some cleaner, test drive was nice and torquey, definitely felt like an increase in power. Got her up to temp and no issues, brief shudders during idling also seemed to have disappeared. I have a hard time believing some MAF cleaner could cure a stalling issue but we'll see I guess.

Dirt McGuirk fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 3, 2019

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
My 02 V70XC loved its first UP winter, came out of it with a P0571 (don't care, cruise still works fine) and a P0128 (thermostat stuck open?).

I've got a thermostat assembly and gasket coming from FCP, hoping I don't have to screw around with the power steering to get to it.

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
My 02 V70XC continues to run great, albeit much louder now since something cracked in the exhaust. The bracket holding up the tailpipe finally rusted out and that's sagging and there are fumes escaping the flex pipe that meets the exhaust manifold.

Now if only every muffler shop up here wasn't terrified of Volvos I'd be alright, instead I'm calling around and trying to assuage the fears of yooper mechanics.

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
After almost making it through another UP winter without anything major cropping up, my 02 V70XC will crank but not start. It's stumbled a few times before snuffing out but mostly just cranks. I haven't gone very deep on it (very cold up here right now) but I can hear the fuel pump priming and all of the related fuses look fine. Battery is 1.5 years old but it has been in the single digits. Little less than a quarter in the tank. No codes other than a very small evap leak from the old gas cap gasket. Old forum posts point towards the PEM being an issue with these symptoms?

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong

schreibs posted:

Can it jump from a known good source? Cold and weak crank is almost certainly battery related no matter the age. Was some door left open and it drained from lights?

Tried it earlier with my portable jumper hooked up but no luck. Nothing should be draining the battery and all the accessories pop on fine. It'll be back into the 20s tomorrow which typically is no problem for the car but we'll see I guess.

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
Pulled the battery out and let it warm up inside overnight. Tried again this morning with the portable jumper got the same result, all crank no start :(

edit: Poured a few gallons into the gas tank and she started up fine. Gave it a few revs and everything sounded good. Best guess is that the blizzard got a little snow in the tank via the cracked fuel cap gasket or it was just legitimately out of gas. Didn't spend any money besides the gas so I don't feel too foolish :)

Dirt McGuirk fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 25, 2023

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
Gave my 02 V70XC a little tuneup at 213k, new plugs and coil packs as well as the engine and fuel filters. Old plugs had about four years on them and cylinder five was pretty oily, enough that I had to break out the turkey baster. Bolt for the cylinder one coil pack also snapped, it sits in place fine when driving and I've got a spare, hoping to get that out this weekend. Assuming the oil is related to the PCV but that will have to wait for another day.

Still running well but unfortunately the best Volvo mechanic in the area retired before I could get a timing kit job scheduled. Haven't called around a ton but no one else in the central UP seems interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong

funeral home DJ posted:

Also, how has the V70XC treated you otherwise? We're thinking of getting a Nissan Leaf or something as my wife's daily driver for her commutes, and as I work remotely I was going to just use the Volvo as a winter car.
Been my daily driver for four years since I bought it from an old yooper in South Range who got it from California earlier that year, best car I’ve ever owned. Yooper dealerships are pretty scummy and every used car up here is rusted away so I’m keeping it running as long as I can. AWD and ground clearance are great in the winter and for the back roads up here. Car probably saved my life when a logging truck ran me off the road in a winter storm near Escanaba.

Did have one cam seal fail but had it fixed before any damage was done, otherwise just normal wear and tear on a car that’s 20yrs old. I’ve lucked out with electronics and wiring so far, I’ve got the alarm service message but I’ll just pull the fuse whenever that finally kicks the bucket. Never had any throttle body issues that these cars get, I assume the previous owner did the repair. Should also mention how nice the paddle shifter and turbo is at highway speeds, makes passing a breeze.

Edit: should probably mention the open recall on the airbag too, closest Volvo dealer is in Traverse City I think and I assume they are months out so it’s not a priority. Please feel free to share this when the inflator detonates like a frag grenade and blows open my chest cavity.

Dirt McGuirk fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 23, 2023