Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Hey all. I’m a recently minted ‘92 240 wagon owner. I bought the car in semi-usable shape as a way to both teach myself a bit about car repair and have a car I’ve always wanted. I’m slowly working my way through each system and cleaning/repairing/replacing parts as I go. I’m currently rebuilding the windshield wiper motor and noticed a nylon set screw on the side of the housing where the gear is. Does anyone know what it’s for? Volvo doesn’t seem to list it as an individual part and it doesn’t look like it has a function other than “fill threaded hole”. It’s in line with the motor’s drive shaft so I imagine it’s related to that. Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Is that expertise more than “you need to put a turbo in there, bro”?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Uh... how? And at the same time? Did it make a comical BOIOIOIOING sound?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

P1 Volvos are the best modern Volvos out there, and what I try and steer people towards whenever they ask me about buying a high mileage, early 00s P2 XC70 (why is it always a goddamned XC70?!).

I’m trying to convince my wife that a P1 V50 is what she wants but she keeps going back to much newer models (XC70s mostly). Care to give me reasons I can use to make the V50 any better sounding? Also are there particular model years/configurations that are good or bad?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

We want a wagon rather than a sedan.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

'92 240

It took two years of weekend work but my brick is street legal. It's not perfect, but I love her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

WTFBEES posted:

Hey can me and my long roof join this club?

1988 245DL with 200Kish miles, three pedals and just one previous owner. It’s shockingly clean and everything I’ve tested so far works. Slight shame about the driver’s seat but who cares it’s under my rear end.

Short-term plans:
Black out all the chrome with 3M wrap
Ditch and replace the trash tint

Mid-term plans:
Coilovers and lower into uselessness
Wheels and tires that are not embarrassingly tiny
Stereo manufactured in the 21st century

Ongoing plans:
“Daily” drive and look rad

Maybe plans?:
Hack off the wheel arches and bolt on fender flares
Anger purists

Hello fellow actual real Volvo-haver. How is it that you have a manual but a clock instead of tach?