Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

zundfolge posted:

narrator: it will need all the work

:v:

Naw, just a simple heater core job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LloydDobler posted:

I hate sunroofs, and Volvo ones in particular. They are the first major failure point on any of the cars I've had. Lots of little plastic bits on the newer ones that age and crack, and even the old metal ones required lube that was always neglected. My T5 had endless annoying sunroof rattles. I ended up ripping out the sun shade and most of the mechanism to stop the rattles, and built little brackets to lock the glass in the hole. Also it leaked horribly. My daughter's V50 had drain clogs and flooded the interior during a particularly bad rainstorm once, it actually ruined the passenger seat leather. My R had no sunroof and I was grateful. My new V70 has one, and I haven't even tested it to see if it works. I doubt I ever will. If I want sun and wind noise I'll drive my convertible.

The aftermarket ones weren't any better. My 745 had the Golde hand-crank sunroof. When the left-hand track broke, the best my mechanic could do was beat it back flat and seal with silicone.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

taqueso posted:

Did the Ford thing do much to the designs? The design* of my 2004 seems better than a similar age Ford and almost all the parts are European origin.

* From the perspective of working on the car

It's a Mondeo underneath, no?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

08 S80 3.2l w/ card key and push start:

Someone stole the key and the car. We got the car back after a short police chase, but the guy took off and presumably still has the key. The car is currently blocked between the garage and an RV. I want to further disable the vehicle until we can get the key reprogrammed. Can I yank something out of the fuze box so the car won't start?

Also, does anyone know where I should go and what I should be paying to reprogram the key I have and add a new key. Is it even possible to reprogram the car and keys so the stolen key won't work anymore?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

2008 Volvo S80, 3.2 V6.

For reasons, this thing has to stay on the road for as long as possible. The power steering pump poo poo the bed this time. The driver is 5ft 3in, weighs 100lb, and the steering effort without power is waaay too much for them to handle.

Scale of 1-5, how difficult is replacement of the pump? If I have to ask, am I out of my depth here?
I have basic tools, a flat spot in the driveway, a floor jack, and two jackstands.

If I can't replace it, 'round about how much would y'all expect to pay at a shop?

Everything else on the car is good enough to serve as a short range daily driver. We just put $1900 into it to stop an oil leak, coolant leak, A/C leak, front shocks, and two new tires.