Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

LloydDobler posted:

Yep. I'll even drive with you up to buffalo creek, then turn east back to Foxton and back home. Foxton road is one I take the Volvo club on for awesome twisty driving.

You are a good dude Lloyd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

LloydDobler posted:

If you take the heat shield off you can get to all 3 from above, which I think is easier. You can also get to all 3 with a medium sized 1/2" impact driver as long as you have the correct shorty and medium extensions. Ironically the heat shield is kind of a bitch to get out, you have to fold it a little bit and then get it sideways. I don't bother to put it back in.

The only gotcha to worry about will be breaking a bolt off in the turbo housing, which happens. Soak them in penetrating oil the night before you attempt it.

I'm glad to see you still enjoying that car, I felt bad when it wasn't a perfect trip home and was worried you were soured on it.

Considering he just dumped a ton of money into it...

And we had a misadventure at Adiabatic's trying to do the suspension. I mistakenly thought that since it was macstrut up front and 3/4 of the cars I've done suspension work on are macstrut it would be more of the same but Volvos are Very Special Indeed. Terrible Robot and I (mostly me probably) kinda utterly broke a CV. Also the rear shock removal process is loving weird so we wisely gave up on that and had a shop do it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

LloydDobler posted:

Pretty sure it's the head gasket. I went to the bank, it was running really strong so I ragged on it, taking it up to 6000 RPM, then I pulled in to a drive thru for dinner and it started missing really hard. I was only a mile from home so I tried to push it there, figuring it was just my ignition coil wiring (saw some cracked insulation when I did the coils). Turned in to my neighborhood and it basically made a BANG RATTLE RATTLE and died. When I tried to re-start, it had a low coolant message but nothing was on the ground. While waiting for the tow truck I checked the oil and it's significantly higher than it was last week. Coolant is still in the reservoir but it definitely lost some. The hilarious part is that if I'd made it about 600 feet farther I could have coasted in to my driveway, but I was on the uphill side of the high spot. Instead I had to wait 45 minutes for a tow truck to tow me less than a mile.

So I'm guessing blown head gasket and hydrolock from coolant. Drinking tonight, post mortem tomorrow or the next day. But yeah, gently caress the PO and his loving rear end in a top hat mechanic. This motor is supposed to be unkillable and he/I killed it.

It's so pretty though, I can't not love it!

RIP beautiful wagobeast :(

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You'll be giving up a noticeable fuel economy edge and the engine will have pulled timing (and probably boost) by a huge margin. If a manufacturer recommends a grade of fuel they're not doing it "for no reason."

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Dual mass flywheels are a bad compromise in the name of low speed NVH, doubly so with a Volvo white block. The bite point is so much better defined with a single mass, and the slightly lower weight makes it even more eager without being obnoxious.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It feels good to get of rid of something that is increasingly weighty. Maybe drive the C70 for a winter and wait for the right thing to pop up?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I don't have lowering springs, but I do have B6s in my Outback and I like them very much.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Terrible Robot posted:

lmao. loving same.

I did keep the 2nd P80 though, because I hate myself and want more pain.

I pretty much refuse to work on Top's outside of basic poo poo. It's just evil on how hard things can be.

"AH THIS SHOULD BE SIMPLE!" lolololol you gonna get R-P2'd.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Mounts? Strut tops?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
That should be the same car unless there is something weird on the 17 vs 18+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Just putting this here because if you know, you know

I have so many mixed feelings about that car.

When it's working it's so good.