Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I’m looking for a decent, spacious wagon that can tow and started to seriously look into P2 V70s as my next car. In short, I mostly ride my motorcycle to work except for days where it’s expected to piss down rain, and we generally take the girlfriend’s i3 out on weekend jaunts, so getting into a P2 V70 sounds like a decent idea. Also, my current company’s financials are in the shitter so getting a cheap cash car I ran ride the wheels off of and that can tow my 401(k) of aluminum cans to another city is probably smart.

From reading around Volvo forums I’m finding that the V70 (or XC70) should pass the following tests:

1) Have a timing belt change at 100k miles (and if not get ready to replace it immediately)
2) Pass the “latex glove test” to ensure the PCV isn’t clogged, as well as observing the dipstick tube for smoke
3) Check for blown main and camshaft seals if the PCV is hosed (and run away if so). PCV is apparently a bitch but can be done in a weekend, and I’ve knocked out the plastic intakes on panther-bodies on a Saturday with hand tools so it’s doable.
4) Check for janky shifting on the test ride, and if so it may need a transmission flush and/or upper motor mounts
5) Run away if the transmission fluid is burnt

Not being exactly Volvo-literate, is there anything else I should be looking for on P2s? I have some decent mechanical knowledge and can do most work myself, though I’m going to limit myself to a timing belt change as my best capability difficulty-wise. Do you think it wiser to look into an older V / XC70 with the LPT or to suck it up and get a newer V60 under warranty, as I know I can get a loan for that (had already been pre-approved before the financials took a dump)?

I found a few examples of V70s around North Georgia that seem to be in decent condition with around 100-120k miles on the odometer, but the cleanest examples are 2.4s which Swedespeed seems to believe are inferior to the LPT units. I’ll admit that a turbo car with 100K+ on odometer scares me a bit. As for a newer machine, the V60 CC I drove was a great car, though I was a bit underwhelmed with how the transmission seemed to be hunting for the proper gear at highway speeds when attempting to pass, and the AWD on that one in particular reminded me of running a locked 4WD setup on a dry patch of road where it felt like it was kinda “binding” itself. Really comfortable car otherwise, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Dirt McGuirk posted:

Gave my 02 V70XC a little tuneup at 213k, new plugs and coil packs as well as the engine and fuel filters. Old plugs had about four years on them and cylinder five was pretty oily, enough that I had to break out the turkey baster. Bolt for the cylinder one coil pack also snapped, it sits in place fine when driving and I've got a spare, hoping to get that out this weekend. Assuming the oil is related to the PCV but that will have to wait for another day.

Still running well but unfortunately the best Volvo mechanic in the area retired before I could get a timing kit job scheduled. Haven't called around a ton but no one else in the central UP seems interested.

Oddly enough I'm looking at buying an '02 V70XC with 96k miles myself, and the owner confirmed the timing belt is 10 years old with about 26k miles on it. A local Volvo-centric private shop quoted me $650-800 for the replacement depending on whether or not the water pump also need to be changed out as well. The only thing keeping me from buying it now is my concern over the seals and such being beaten up from many years of sitting.

That said, I watched a YouTube video on replacing the 5-cylinder belts and it looks, strangely, not nightmarish? I remember having a VG30DE in a Nissan 300ZX and thankfully selling the car before I had to get around to doing the timing belts as it required a literal disassembly of the front end. Best as I can tell on the Volvo 2.4s, you'll need to make the coolant bottle move around a bit and pop off the passenger (LHD car) wheel and peel back the wheel well covers, but otherwise than that it's a relatively straightforward change.

If I end up getting it, I'm going to attempt the timing belt myself to save a few bucks because I already have the majority of the tools necessary. Also I'll have the luxury of a second car with my wife so there's no stress on my end.

Also, how has the V70XC treated you otherwise? We're thinking of getting a Nissan Leaf or something as my wife's daily driver for her commutes, and as I work remotely I was going to just use the Volvo as a winter car.