Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

ch1mp posted:

The rear lights are also borked – there is always a light out and if I replace the bulb the next one down the line goes, rinse and repeat.

Yes, welcome to the world of 240 ownership. I've had five 240's in the past 15 years, and every one had the chronic rear light problem. Most that I see on the road also usually have one bulb out. It's a very common and seemingly unfixable problem.

My current Volvo is a 1989 240 GL with almost 148,000, the lowest mileage I have ever had on one of my Volvo's. I picked it up back in December, and have done a little work on it since then, mainly parts of the ignition system and air intake, which had a bad airbox thermometer and no preheat hose. I have no pics at the moment, but it was burgundy, though the paint is shot. Besides the paint, the body is in fairly good shape, and the engine and drivetrain are (seemingly so far) solid. The interior is the tan vinyl, and is in excellent condition and probably the main factor in buying this particular 240, along with being a GL with a sunroof and the fact that I had given up on finding a Turbo within a few hours drive that was worth buying.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

deratomicdog posted:

Zip ties? Really?

You would be amazed by how many zip ties were holding my car together when I obtained it. Fortunately, the only ones left to get rid of are holding one of my headlights on, and I have a replacement.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

My wife wrecked her rabbit, so she's been driving my 240. Within 3 days, the odometer, trip counter and the fuel gauge all stopped working. I told her she'd better keep gas in it until I can get at least one of the two fixed. I already have a new gear for the odometer, so hopefully that will fix that problem so she can at least figure out how much gas she has in the tank.

I hope her car gets out of the shop quick. In a little more than a week driving the Volvo she's already somehow broken a clip and bent a door trim piece, and all of a sudden the sunroof doesn't want to close without a ton of force. It's not that she's normally this destructive, but it just seems like she's having a string of bad luck and it's majorly effecting my wallet. I'd let her drive my truck, but I don't need all three of our vehicles hosed up.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I hope. I haven't had a chance to really look at it, but it doesn't seem like there's anything in the tracks. It's fine until about 2 or 3 inches, and then it gets really stiff. She couldn't close it, and I have had to put so much force on it that I've been afraid I'm going to break the handle, but it does eventually seal.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Sounds like there's a piece of poo poo in the gears. Take the cover off the winding mechanism and run back and forth while you watch it. While you're in there, hit everything with white lithium grease, tracks included (after you figure out the problem, I mean).

Isn't two or three inches where it starts to move up/down instead of just forward/back? Maybe one of the arms is bent.

Yeah, I think it is where it starts to go up/down. I'm planning on working on it tomorrow while I'm off. We'll see how it goes. It was smooth as butter before.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

All of the speeding tickets I've ever gotten have been in 240's.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Oxphocker posted:

No they don't...I know the piece he's talking about and the only way I've seen them sell those online is with the wagon trunk panel fix kit. You could try calling them to see if they'll sell em alone from the kit.

They don't have them listed under the 900 series, but that description sounds just like the trim fasteners for a 240, which they do sell.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

A tree fell on my Ridgeline and 240 last night. The Ridgeline took the brunt of it, and is possibly totaled. The 240 took a good hit on the hood, and I don't think I'm gonna be able to simply knock it out. So, since I didn't find it wise to fully insure a $500 22-year old car, I guess I'll be attempting to source one. There's a guy in town that works exclusively on Volvo's, but he's known for ripping off people from time to time.

I guess what i'm asking is, what should I expect to pay for a 240 hood. I kinda already know the answer to this, but is it possible to convert an '89 to a flatnose?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Suction ain't gonna cut it. I'd post pics but they still haven't reconnected the power line that also came down with the tree, so I'm posting from my phone. I was expecting more than $50, so thats cool. Don't really care about color, since the whole car needs a paint job anyway.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

zundfolge posted:

Short answer: Sorta. If you have the right grille, then it'll look OK, but the cowl won't line up with the depression in the hood. To make it look "right," you need to swap the whole front clip, but that means that you give up the superior lighting of the 86+ front end, unless you get e-codes.

I would say $50-$75 is a fair price for a hood.

I have e-codes, so that's not a problem.

I found a 2004 (actually says 2004.5) S40 T5 with 39,000. They're asking $13,985. Is there anything that should be of concern about that particular year? I've been looking for S60's but this one seems too good to be true.

Edit for link: http://tinyurl.com/5vrg3jy

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 17, 2011

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, my 89 240 only gets about that too.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

mikerock posted:

He sure does keep an awful lot of oil in the back floorboard.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Corrupt Cypher posted:

I finally got my 240 running and I am LOVING IT. Driving this car is so much goddamn fun I finally get why all you nuts keep fixing these rust buckets.

Question, I have a 93' and the front speakers look like they should be easy to replace... Do I just pull off the plastic cover and go to work (I am afraid of breaking it) or do I have to take the whole door apart?

Yup. Pull the grill off and you'll see the 4" speaker and 4 screws. If you go aftermarket, the original grill won't work but whatever comes with the new should unless they're exceptionally large. Unless you're going for something high powered and the magnets huge, you shouldn't have a problem with mounting depth.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I’ve had 5 240’s in my past (still have one), but have no other knowledge about more recent Volvo models. I’ve run across a 2008 C70 with a seemingly good price, and I was wondering if there’s anything I should be wary about with this particular model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Thank you for the info. It is much appreciated!