Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Coming out great,was the rad support o.e.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
2001 v70 non turbo 99k mi

My father in law said the car is throwing a code for vvt(I haven't gone over to see which code in particular). The vvt solenoid was changed as was the "gear" associated with it, but the code remains, oil was changed but code still comes on. Car drives fine.

Anyone seen anything like this?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Wow what a beautiful wagon, who could blame you. Is it a stick shift?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Could possibly be the wiring harness on top of the motor, might want to check it thoroughly for broken insulation or shorts. It gets hot under that cover.

To update on this(2001 v70 non turbo), the shop that replaced the VVT solenoid and gear, didnt align it properly I guess. That code went away, issue resolved, unfortunately now the Car is showing a code 1011 for ECM short. Mechanic told me that its gotta go to Volvo Dealer for this one to get reflashed(If I can convince the dealer tech to do this) or possibly replaced, and he says you cant just put a junkyard ecm in these cars. Said I am probably looking at a $1800 bill to get it taken care of at Volvo. Cars in great shape but I will probably just sell it instead as it would be a third car for us.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Glad I posted, thanks guys I'll call the vendors and inquire.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
^^^thanks.

Spoke with them over fb messenger they said I'm in the e right place. Denso p1 or 2 will be in my car. $6-700, Gonna think on it.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Frohike999 posted:

I'm going back this weekend to pull the center console for my car and they have a 2001 v70 there. If you're interested I can see if it still has the ECM and pull it if you wanted to try to just have program transfer. It was like $12 for the TCM I pulled so I imagine it'll be the same price.

Yeah that would be great, I'm sure service is much cheaper with my own good core. I'll pay you for it, then we'll figure out shipping later if it's the same part# thanks.

Your in USA too right? Lol

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Frohike999 posted:

You bet! I'll let ya know if they have it and when I pull it. If it works out easier I can also just ship to wherever you're sending yours but we can sort all that out after I make sure they even have it.

Sounds great. I'm assuming it's this unit 01 v70 wagon non turbo non xc:
https://xemodex.com/us/product/engine-control-module-programming-transfer-to-used-unit-for-denso-p2-platform-vo-1050-8603125-10-23/

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

always be closing posted:

^^^thanks.

Spoke with them over fb messenger they said I'm in the e right place. Denso p1 or 2 will be in my car. $6-700, Gonna think on it.

So I've got my China ECM removal tool, have a "good" core from a junk yard, gonna pull the original one today.

The xemodex copy service is only $250 vs $700 if I use one of their reman'ed units. If my junkyard unit is in fact bad, then they will just upgrade my service and invoice me.

I will post a follow up with. Just wanted to thank you guys for the heads up on this, and frohikke for all his help.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
01 v70: Got my ecu back from xemodex, they said they couldn't find any faults in it, I had them copy it anyways gently caress it. First trip out with the car I noticed the brake lights were staying on and flicked the headlight switch in case that was it, then jiggles the pedal, the switch must be sticking or return spring is shot.

When I was playing with the light switch I left the parking lights on for an hour and a half...now don't have enough juice to start it! Waiting on AAA to jump me now. Here's a pic, it's a 1 owner with 99k. If I can put enough miles on it and get through emissions it'll be a keeper for me. Sun roof doesn't work and needs that top motor mount. Non turbo doesn't seem to pull that great until it hits high revs. Been sitting since November, I was gonna go wash it right now, but here's a pic anyway.

E- the sunroof fuse is good:rip:

always be closing fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 10, 2019

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Frohike999 posted:

That brake light thing sounds like it's something goofy with the CEM or a bad relay on it. The CEM is really easy to remove if you wanted to see if any water got in there or anything, it was just a couple trim pieces and a 10mm bolt on mine.

Oh cool, where is the cem?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Thanks a lot guys I've gotta go to bed now but I'll report back in the morning. I got a jump drove home and then in the driveway started it up again to make sure it was charged, but it stumbled and died. Then I was was giving it a little gas to keep it running, it idled, then I revved it up some to like 3-4k and it died when I let off. Weird because it drove great on the way home.

I've got my scanner and I'll see if I can pull anything before work tonight.

This things been garage kept it's whole life, and I know once I out my buffer to it it will shine like crazy. I'm only into it for a g note so far, so hopefully doesn't need too much more.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
01 v70, rear brake light relay is sticking, so when I park the car I have to pop the hatch and tap on the relay so my battery doesnt die =p.

This is the last issue I have with the car(for now) before it goes into daily driver duty. This relay is a the proprietery volvo double relay, which is discontinued. Skandix sells a set, one has a resistor inside, the other side doesnt, other than that they seem identical. Its like $65 to ship them from europe lol, I couldnt find the relay with resistor on amazon, can anyone help me out? maybe part #'s for both?

https://www.skandix.de/en/documents/product-information/relay-brake-light/3000153/

All the info is above. Im dying to start driving my grannymobile.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

angryrobots posted:

I think 30765030 is Volvo p/n for the relay with resistor, and 8651661 is without.

Great, thank you. I had managed to find the relays without and ordered 2, might use that for a few days till the right one comes in.

Look at this beauty. I've got a nice little story to tell about the vvt solenoid I was posting about last year.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Post some pics that sounds like a sweet ride!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
01 v70 fwd. I wanted to add a tow hitch for my small utility trailer. I'm probably going to order this kit:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Volvo/V70/2001/C12318.html?VehicleID=2001301635

Etrailer has the following wire kits available, is there a better option? Or would one of these be best?

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2001_Volvo_V70.htm

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

always be closing posted:

01 v70 fwd. I wanted to add a tow hitch for my small utility trailer. I'm probably going to order this kit:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Volvo/V70/2001/C12318.html?VehicleID=2001301635

Etrailer has the following wire kits available, is there a better option? Or would one of these be best?

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2001_Volvo_V70.htm

So I was looking on Facebook and some people mentioned Volvo offers a plug and play trailer harness. Is this only for the xc70's? Can't find anything about it for a v70.

Also I saw it mentioned that it needs to be installed by a dealer and the ecm flashed? Any truth to that?

Also our local chain Volvo dealer was very rude to me and I'd like to avoid giving them money. Where can I find and buy genuine factory parts online?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Great choice. Wagon looks great.

Also love the 240 wagon upstream. Congrats on getting it on the road.

My v70 is giving me a left turn signal error, but all bulbs are working, just flashing fast like one is out. I cleaned the socket and it was fine for like two weeks. One thing I noticed that has me worried that it's the multifunction switch in the column, is that as I'm turning, or if I turn the wheel while at the stop sign/light, the signal indicator will stop at a certain paet of the turn, then come back on when I move past that position in the turn, then turn off when the wheel is straight.

Anyone experience anything like that?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Oh wow. Good to know. What is the swedish mail order junkyard network?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That's great, thank you.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
My v70 is making some front end noise. Only sometimes after a bump when coasting, goes away when I press gas or brake. It's like a repeated thudding.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Wrar posted:

Mounts? Strut tops?

Someone else told me it could be CV shaft? I bet all this would be stock with 100k.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Just looked up the vacuum motor mounts and that's almost exactly what it sounded like. I drove the car a bit today and it didn't do it at all, is that weird? Maybe a cracked line or a crack in the mount that leaks under certain conditions.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Are these fcs quick struts any good?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Copy that. This car is so nice I’ll pay up.

I’m getting a little rattle/squeak from the heater blower fan it sounds like. Do those bearings go bad? It goes away if I turn the fan speed up.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
2001 v70 na auto fwd

Im 2 years and 20k(125k total) miles into my volvo journey and i really have to say this car is wonderful. Ive only HAD to replace vvt solenoid, brake light relay and a fuel pump relay.

Ive got a CEL for probably a cracked tube in the evap system, abs and traction control lights as well. The later two came on last winter when i was loving around and sliding in snow and ice, so might not even be that bad.

Zero rust on the car, im thinking of buying one of those VIDA LAPTOPS from the Facebook guy David Leach. My kids are about to turn 6 and 3, i think i can actually start wrenching again.

The only downside to this car i can see going forward is the plastic parts! In dash cupholder is now stuck open, the latch for my gas door broke, and the sunroof is starting to rattle a bit:mrwhite:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Thanks for the reply lloyd! What volvo message board? And where do i buy that little spring?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Lloyd, theres an 04 xc70 2.5t auto 193k on marketplace near me, apart from any obvious noises coming from the transfer case or rear, what should i look out for on a test drive? I usually do a slow figure8 and listen.

E-no codes supposedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I just replaced the strut, hub, ball joint, lca on the driver side of my 01 v70, what a breeze truly. Falling in love with this thing, 130k, i hope it never breaks!

All bushings were dry rotted, ball joint was so bad it was gonna kill me soon. Ill do the same stuff on passenger side this weekend.