Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Important thngs for the megathread:

Part Suppliers (IPDUSA, FCPGroton)
Transmissions (models, issues, maintenance)
Getting the most out of your Volvo (seafoaming, mileage, brakes/suspension)
Replacing Filters

V70 Issues:
Trunk Hatch Fix/Kit
Stereo Problems SC900 vs SC901

My Car:
1998 Volvo V70R 129k miles

Oxphocker fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

What kind of economy could I expect from a 2.5l 20v V70, if not mistreated?

More details please?

Generally most S70-V70s range around 18-20 city and up to almost 30 hwy, but different models/driving styles/mechanical conditions may vary...

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

keykey posted:

Is there any way to turn off the service soon light on a '96 volvo 850 without having to take it to the dealership so they can rape me with a $50 because they can fee every 3000 miles since I do oil changes and all applicable maintenance myself?

There's a reset tool you can buy online, but honestly it turns off after two minutes...and the tool is kind of expensive.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Best Friend posted:

drat, thanks. That's pretty much exactly what I want, but I live in San Jose. Alameda is already a stretch for me. I guess I'll shoot the guy call the and get a friend to drive me out. T5 sedans seem to be pretty rare here but I found some promising S70's

EDIT: poo poo, the red 850R got sold :mad:

For reference, I bought my 98 V70R with 123k miles for $5150..the dealership wanted 6k for it but with minor repairs needed, I talked them down...probably put about $400-500 into it so far for parts, fluid changes, etc.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

V70's a 98/99, 850's a 95.

Both are 2.0l 20v manual wagons.

edit: not an AWD, not important to me.

Edit2: I'll take a 2nd look at the 850.

A V70 being a 98 or a 99 is a big difference.

The 98 is much better than having a 99 for several reasons including the electronic throttle.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

It was registered 99 but I think it was a 98 build.

So, did the 99 have the electronic throttle?

You can read the rest of the volvo thread and get lots more details but short story:

1998 S70/V70 - manual throttle, one of the best model years to buy for reliability and general fit/finish.

1999-2000 S70/V70 - electronic throttle guaranteed to wear out, other electrical changes as well, generally good to avoid.

2001-2003 V70 - BAD, trans problems and other high ticket repairs.

2004-2009 V70 - Should be fine.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

ch1mp posted:

Quick question: What is the goon approved oil formulation/weight/brand for the 240 B230F red blocks (1989)?

Goon answer - Whale oil. And not just any whale oil, 5w30 whale oil collected from a baby humpback on the crest of the full moon.

Real answer - you have an NA 240? poo poo practically anything SAE appropriate would work...however a decent 10w30 from any brand is fine. If you're really concerned about wear or it's a turbo go with synthetic but really it shouldn't be much of an issue. Just make sure you use a good filter (mann).

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

deratomicdog posted:

Nope, it's obd2
I'd take it to autozone but the frickin' thing still won't start

$65 on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD-...omotiveQ5fTools

I have one and use it all the time when I have car issues...I look at it as an investment.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Those are some of the worst car shots I've ever seen...did he purposely try to find the cloudiest day and the most hosed up angles so as to not be able to tell anything about the car beyond the wheels, headlights, engine, and body? Those interior shots are pretty useless..

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

So I'm thinking of getting a class II hitch put on my 98 V70R...anyone have suggestions on model of hitch and how to keep it recessed enough so there isn't a big tow bar showing under the car? Preferrably like to have just the receiver sticking out - also for height considerations..

So far, my front runner in online researching is the hitch that Curt Manufactoring makes...

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

8ender posted:

I a 1997 850 Sedan with 144k on it for $1500 a good deal? Reliable? Any really horrible things happen to these models?

I sold a 98 S70 with about 140k on it for $2000...so it's not out of the realm of crazy, mostly you would want to be concerned with the mechanical condition. Have it checked out by a reputable volvo mechanic and get their opinion before buying.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

Stupid question, it's a diesel :downs: - do these have the electronic throttle module?

Other than that I'm looking for free play & stiffness in steering, top coolant hose not being floppy or rock hard, oil leaks from the rear of the engine, evidence of leaky heater matrix etc yes?

Also, timing belt/water pump & belt are vital changes in this I hear, as is checking front suspension for collapsed ball joints etc.

Did I miss anything? (other than the usual car-buying make-sure-the-doors-open-&-the-lights-flash stuff)

Belt and pump are 70k mile changes. So a car near 70k or 140k or 210k will need a swap soon.

Check the upper shock tower mountings for cracking in the rubber..could indicate a need to replace the bushings soon.

Check the AC/Heat/Cabin Filter...filter is supposed to be replaced every so often...an original could indicate eventual issues with AC/Heat.

Check trans fluid for clarity or when it was last replaced...any suspicions or hard shifting could indicate eventual trans problems.

If the car has the 3 disk cd changer, confirm it works..lots of these units have failed.

Check tailgate hatch for clearance/locking...raise it a few times to make sure the shocks hold up the gate, if they don't need to be replaced (about $50 DIY). Also the back gate panel tends to rattle from being slammed, metal replacement clips are sold as a kit at IPD.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Got a Curt Manufactoring towing hitch put on my V70 today..they did an awesome job. It is tucked nicely under the bumper, can't even see the towbar. Being black, both the car and the hitch, it looks really smooth. Not bad for about $300 all said and done.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

peanutbutterunicorn posted:

So I have been having strange A/C issues lately. Being July in Atlanta and my front window switches don't work, let's just say that makes it unpleasant.

Does your model have the electronic climate control or is it just basic controls?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

'99 diesel V70 I'm picking up Saturday doesn't have a trip computer, which I'm going to sorely miss. Any options or suggestions?

Cell phone apps to keep track of mileage and mpg?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

It doesn't look bad in 640x480, I agree :v:

Anyway, first on the list is tyres, I've got 5 different brands on there at the moment so I've been looking around & would like some first hand advice.

195 60 15 88h, I've had recommendations for Uniroyal Rainexpert, Dunlop Sport fast response, Pirelli P6000 & Goodyear excellence. They all seem to rate pretty evenly the only thing is the 2 local places to me say the Pirelli & Goodyears are getting scarce. Any views on the Uniroyal or Dunlops?

Also, where do you UK goons get your volvo bits(other than the scrapyard)? I found GSF car parts & have used them for French cars in the past, how are they for Volvo's price/quality wise?

More photo's today as I clean it out. the left side paintwork looks like it was driven through a bush :v:

https://www.tirerack.com

Put in the model of your car and it will show you the top models related. While mostly US based, you might be able to find the same tires elsewhere.

I've used the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS on my last car an S70 and liked them a lot...will probably put them on my V70R when it comes up for a tire change, but I'm trying to use up the PO's tires first.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

blankooie posted:

ive got those on my S60. They wear pretty fast :(

Depends on how you drive and how much...

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

For some reason someone has stolen a wheel bolt from me. I swear they were all there when I bought it home, now there's one missing.

Anyway, on today's list is - can I repair a broken door check strap myself?
Electric wing mirrors only partially function - should I start at the mirrors or the switches?

The door panel switches have the tendency to stop working..normally it's the window module, but it wouldn't surprise me if the mirror switch has similar issues.

I think IPD has the door check part and they might have instructions included with it..

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Thanks! Everyone has been more impressed with the maroon car than the gold. The gold is in I'd say at least 20 percent better shape on the outside. Darker colors just look a lot better.

It's funny that I like that old black leather so much. I have fond memories of sitting in my dad's 1979 264 (PRV V6, it was the shittiest motor setup ever) with water literally sizzling off of my legs due to Texas summer heat + swimming + black car with awesome black leather.

I used to have a 940T in gold...thing never looked like it was dirty ever. Amazing color to have on a car.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

The S60s aren't shabby either...look for anything past '04 with a good maintenance record. Also FWD.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Depending on what 'safety' work it needs, it looks like a pretty decent deal if you want a 95 850.

The fact that he's willing to drop the price to sell it makes me a bit concerned as to why he wants it sold so badly..

Depending on how fixed you want your car, there can be lots of small repairs that can cost. For example on my V70R right now the trunk latch isn't seating properly and the warning light is going off.. I've tried reseating the trunk latch and at least it closes and locks now but the light still isn't going off because there is a tiny amount of play. So little things like that can add up to repairs if it start bothering you.

As for that AC, it could be multiple things, compressor, belts, refridgerant, etc..so if you ever do plan to get it fixed it could be expensive.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

Does anyone know of a repair kit for a v70 retractable load cover? I swear I found one a while ago but can't find it again now I need it.

Also, what does TRACS do? If I press the button once, nothing happens, press a second time the drifting symbol comes on.

TRACS is traction control...automatic braking to stop wheel slip.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

NOTinuyasha posted:

Specifically it brakes on the side where it detects slipping, it's similar to the ABS braking and you can tell it's working by that faint marbles-spilling-on-wood (fine, YOU tell me what it sounds like) noise made by the motor. It's not that useful, sometimes disabling it actually helped get out of snow drifts or up slippery hills.

Oh I know...I've experienced it first hand in a 98 S70. I agree though, it's hit or miss sometimes on how effective it is. After driving a rear wheel drive car as my first car..sometimes I miss the more predictable slide pattern. FWD slides are just annoying, RWD slides can be fun and useful.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Can I Phaser You posted:

I went ahead and took it in today and they told me that the codes told them that 3 cylinders were misfiring. They replaced the spark plugs, distributer cap, and did a fuel and air service.

When I got there to pay, the guy told me "oh yeah we've got it running like a dream. Now because of the type of fuel cleaner we used, you may notice the check engine light come back on, but just give it awhile to get it through its system."

670 dollars later, as I'm turning out of the place, the check engine light comes back on and it still idles rough. Literally no difference. Any ideas?

I would take it back...check engine light is one thing until diagnostics run properly, but mechanically they should have fixed the problem.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Can I Phaser You posted:

I just checked back and there have been three positive reviews posted on there within the past week! After a new one had not been posted since July. Yeah, they definitely pad their google page with fake reviews. All of them include some form of praise for "Jim" the owner. Mine will be conveniently bumped off the front page after a couple more fake ones.

I have a loving vendetta against this place now. I wish there was some way to get Google to punish them for posting fake reviews.

Bottom of the page "report a problem"

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

82Daion posted:

The heater core in my 245 must be going out-when I turned on the defroster tonight, the windshield fogged up instantly with a persistent, kinda greasy condensation, and the car was permeated with a rather unpleasant smell.

Of course, it decides to do this right as it starts getting cold here. :argh:

Probably one of the most hated repairs in all of the Volvo world...condolences man...though once you get it fixed, it will be roaring like the flames of hell like all good Volvo heaters do.

*I think I have to get the AC/Heater/Motor in my V70 fixed soon =(

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

To be fair, the job doesn't look hard per se, or painful, just really time consuming. I'd do it at the drop of a hat but I have a lot of free time thanks to being almost out of work. :( Bring it to my house, I'm in Virginia.

Also, look at that set of instructions and think about how much project creep you could let in. You could redo the whole drat wiring harness while it's opened up, there'll never be a better time. New dash, new instrument panel, clean all the vent piping thoroughly, grease anything that moves under the dash like the steering column and the pedals, rust removal and protection on the inside of the firewall and the front sides of the cabin, clean and dielectric up all the wiring connections, reset the brake and or/clutch position sensor so your cruise control works again, replace all the vacuum lines in the cabin, etc.

A fella could have fun for days.

Dude, if I had the money, I'd fly you out to NM to work on all the small things on my V70. They are things I want to get fixed, but not so important that I need to have them addressed immediately so I've been putting it off for things like rent..

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Supposed to be every 70k.... so yah, past due...

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

I meant the time belt and things

Ohhh....hope you didn't totally trash the engine.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Question for goons:

It's starting to get cooler here and yesterday something happened that I'm not quite sure if it's an issue or not.

In the afternoon after getting off of work, I accelerated harder than normal on the turbo and I got a puff of smoke out the back for just a second. Is there something I should be keeping an eye on?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

TheJeffers posted:

What color of smoke?

gray...not black or thick... Normally I don't get any smoke/emission unless it's cold in the morning. But this was in the afternoon and I had just gone into some heavy acceleration.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

I have a 98 V70R and I'm really liking it...the only thing I'd trade it for is a 04-06 V70R, so if you found one for a good price and it's in good shape, I'd say go for it.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

compressioncut posted:

The dealer let me have it all day after the inspection I had done. Speaking of which, there is nothing wrong with it aside from cosmetic stuff (which I obviously knew about) and a few burned out bulbs.

The fog lights are a little weird. The relay clicks, and the green LED lights up, but the lights do not come on. The tech thinks it could just be that the bulbs are out, but also agrees it seems a little weird. There's no indication in the message center about it.

Lots of cosmetic stuff, and they are asking way too much, but they seem to want me to buy it. See if we can make a deal.

p.s. the turning radius is currently pretty amusing, which will I'm sure will get really annoying fast.

When I bought my R from the dealer, I went through with a fine tooth comb and got them to discount for every thing wrong. An R is not a corolla or honda that will go like hotcakes. It's a niche car that a lot of people won't touch. Also, it's near the end of the year so they are going to want it off their books before the end of the year. Go in there with the attitude that getting the car is not paramount, that you can walk at any time if the deal isn't what you want and be prepared to spend 3-4 hours there to get it. The dealer wanted $6k for my 98 R, I got them down to $5150 out the door. If I stuck around another hour or two I probably could have gotten it for $5k. It is entirely possible to get the car for a decent price. If the dealership is not a Volvo dealer, you could go to a Volvo dealer to get a ballpark figure on what all the cosmetic repairs would cost them to fix and then take that to the dealer with the car and show them what it will cost you to take this car off their hands and what it would cost them to get it fixed. Using some hard numbers to back them down off the price. And don't even talk about financing until a price on the car is set in stone. Get your financing elsewhere otherwise they will try to get you on the backend if you bargained a good deal on the car.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

compressioncut posted:

Lots of good points in there. I'm finally being smart and bringing my father-in-law with me as a safety. He loves this poo poo and has made some of the same points, especially about the fact it's a niche car and not easy to sell.

What's got me slightly confused is that they are asking $7000 over Edmunds TMV, which also happens to correlate with the Black Book (Canadian thing) value, so I don't know what the gently caress. It isn't a Volvo dealership, but it did sit at the local one for a while at the same price.

If I may ask...what year is it exactly and what is the dealer asking for?

Edit: also, do you know the mileage on the odometer?

Oxphocker fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 27, 2010

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

compressioncut posted:

It's an '06 and the mileage is high-ish for the year. However, the independent inspection at the Volvo specialist, as I've said, was clean. I'm going to remain cagey about specifics for now because, well, I tend to do stupid poo poo when I buy cars and don't like hearing about it. That, and someone always pipes up to say there are six down their street for thousands less and half the mileage.

Pretty sure I'll be OK this time, and I'll disclose details if I accomplish anything.

A comparable car in the US with higher mileage would retail at a dealer for around 19,500 USD. I'd shoot for 16k as a reasonable bargaining position. Convert to Canadian as you see fit... (that's by kelly blue book standards)

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Blaster of Justice posted:

You drive a loving Volvo. You don't need a horn. Just slip it into first gear and drive right through whatever is in your way.

Tractor motor for lyfe!

In other news..I managed to find a mechanic who not only is willing to look at some of the stuff I need to get done, but is willing to let me help out so I can learn it a bit. Replaced a door stop entirely on my own and helped with a timing belt, water pump, balancer pulley, and serpentine belt replacement.

Next on the list is a front suspension, tie rod ends, sway bar, calipers, brakes, and tires replacement. After that, AC/Heater core issues, gas gauge, and radio issues. Once that's done, car should be close to new in terms of mechanical operation. A few IPD upgrades will be a nice change too =)

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

^^^^^^
a good reminder to always see the old parts. Luckily, I've found a mechanic that will let me help out and learn at the same time...so I know it's getting done. Just replaced my timing belt/water pump @ 130k about two weeks ago. Also did a door stop, balancer pulley, and serp belt.

Still have a complete suspension/brakes/tires, AC/Heat, and a gas gauge to do...

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

mikerock posted:

I was stopped when I reset it. I filled up again before I crossed the border and reset it again, no problems - strange. It is an 850.

Those little gears are so tempremental...if you hit a large bump it could have done it too. If it starts doing it a lot, then it's time to get the repair kit.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

I don;t think the Haldex system comes about until the P2 platform which would mean cars 2001 or older. The 98-00 cars are still the P1 platform with the viscous coupling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

dev/null posted:

I was working at Volvo Cars R&D during this period and IIRC the reason was that VW had exclusive rights for the Haldex during the first years. I also remember the huge improvement it was when it was introduced. Also, when the Haldex was introduced, the V70XC was renamed XC70.

dude, you worked at Volvo R&D and you have no stories to share??