Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Someone posted the V70 manual (i have a '98 XC) in .pdf form in the last thread but I lost my bookmark to it. It would be much appreciated if I could get a link to that again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

1998 v70 Owner's Manual:

https://www.customers.volvocars.com/owners/docs/1998/1998_SV70/98sv70_000.htm

Available from here:

http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/community/Pages/yourvolvo.aspx

which appears to offer a lot of other nice stuff as well, like a Maintenance Chart:

https://www.customers.volvocars.com/owners/docs/1998/1998_maintenance/1998_all_maintenance.html

and the complete specs at a glance:

https://www.customers.volvocars.com/owners/docs/1998/1998_specs/1998_V70.html

For every Volvo after 1964.

In before LloydDobler :chord:

Thanks!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Yes, all the 5 cyl Volvos pull high 20s/low 30s on the freeway as far as I know.

The AWD varies by year, you really should tell what year you're talking about. Although I'm sure you know that and just forgot.

My 98 V70XC AWD is atrocious on gas. I get about 700kms out of a tank when i take it on the highway which is just OK for a 70L tank, but in the city I am lucky to get 450km.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

pete0r posted:

I know 98's are seen as the sweet point for v/s70's. How do you guys feel about the 98 v70 AWD's?

my XC is fun but a pig on gas

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

new car question answered below

mikerock fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 2, 2010

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I traded my 98 V70XC yesterday for 1997 850.

It's a wagon.

There's two dents I need to get repaired on the back right hand corner:

What's that say under the 850?

YESSSSSSSSSS

First thing I do is get rid of the weather trim on the windows. Then I am going to fix those dents. I also want to replace those wheels as they're old man as hell (the car smells a bit like an old man.) May need a bit of repainting in some areas but there is no rust anywhere and the interior is in great shape. The 5 speed is smooth as gently caress comepared to my old 240s . The clutch is a bit stiff but I like it. 160 000 kms, 1000 less than my V70! Overall I am really happy as it has all the features I was looking for when I was car shopping last time. Pretty rare car up here.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

The V70 was grey leather same exterior colour, but it was worn and someone had spilled a minor amount of what I think was paint over the steering wheel, driver's side seat and door speaker (lots of little white dots.) Mechanically I don't plan on doing much. The starter probably needs to be replaced as you can hear it spooling down sometimes. Front brakes need some maintenance as I think it went to el cheapo brake shop last - the brakes squeal a bit even though the pads are good.

This car was manufactured in Sweden and the motor in Belgium.

Edit: wipers hah I just washed it I didn't notice they were wonky whoops!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

ch1mp posted:

Do 240s (5spd M47) typically require some effort to get into gear, specifically 1st and 2nd? The effort required seems mostly the sideways portion, once pulled over enough the up or down movement is relatively easy. Is this normal?

I had some engine mounts go on my last 240 m47 and the tilt on the motor caused problems engaging 1st and 2nd gear, sometimes 3rd too.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

zenless posted:

I'm looking at V70's and actually currently only finding XC70's. Are there any years to avoid? I've found a 98 (which i like alot), a 2002, and a 2004 so far.

I had a 98 XC70 which was a good car but high on gas consumption. The MAF went 3 months in but was cheap to fix. I traded it for a manual 97 850 AWD and would have kept it if that car hadn't become available. I like the instrument layout and the body styling on the XC70 just a bit better than the 850s.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I saw another 850 5-speed wagon in the grocery store parking lot today, but this one was a vanilla 850 with no GLT or AWD badging. How common was it for them to be 5-speeds in Canada and the US?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Nice looking V70

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I want to do the brakes on my 97 850 AWD and I would like to know the parts and part numbers I'll need. Thanks!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

TheJeffers posted:

If all you're looking to do is replace your pads and rotors, just hop over to fcpgroton.com, enter your car's details, and go to the "Brake System" section. Everything you need should be in there.

Just what I was looking for, thanks. Volvospeed has the part number for the pads but not the rotors.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Is there anything about manual trans 850s that needs to be done?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I'm just going to leave this here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDyuNPAuMq8

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I was driving back to Vancouver from Portland last night, and stopped in Tacoma to drop a friend off and get gas. When I reset the trip odometer it and the main odometer stopped working for 50km, then started up again on its own. What the hell would cause that?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I was stopped when I reset it. I filled up again before I crossed the border and reset it again, no problems - strange. It is an 850.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Is there an email address at volvo or volvo canada where I can get specific information like numbers of imported, original sale value etc.?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

They're still pretty uncommon up here in Canada, with only a few hundred 5-speed AWD and a couple thousand regular 5-speeds imported of all years.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I traded my 97 850 AWD Wagon today for ... another 97 850 AWD Wagon.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Here's where I am at in my line of Volvo wagons:

This is wagon #7 that I have had since 2006. I have been slowly going up and sideways and down a little but on my road to a nice car.

#6 was this car's brother, in green with beige interior:

Traded for the one above, a side step for me.

#5 was a 1998 V70XC.

Automatic. Traded it for the 850 AWD after I was rear-ended and found that the car had been bashed up pretty good in an undisclosed out-of-province accident which had left it with some frame damage repairs.

#4 was a 91 240 DL with a 5-speed transmission.

This was taken in the winter when we had that really huge dump of snow that lasted for 6 weeks. This was taken in the morning after I had cleared the same amount of snow off the car the evenign before. It died a horrible death on the Alex Fraser bridge. One of the best cars I have owned. A goon drove by my accident and was sad for me too.

Between this car (#4) and the previous one (#3) I owned a 91 Cherokee which was a disaster that I bought for $350 off a friend who went to Afghanistan.

#3 was an 81 240 DL with a 4+1 transmission.

Started backfiring. Sold it for what I had into it to buy the Cherokee.

#2 was an 83 245 GL with the B23F and 4+1 transmission.

First standard I had. Unsurprisingly the clutch went when I wasn't able to afford it, so I traded it in to the mechanic for the green 240DL. The B23F motor was a lot of fun and I missed it until I got the V70XC. In this photo I was stuck in the hills after a big dump of snow.

#1 was an 81 240 DL automatic. I think I bought it in 2005

Lost my oil cap somewhere on my last oil fill to when it started dropping angry red glowing chunks behind me at exit 270 on the I-5 North about 5 minutes south of the Canadian border. That really, really sucked.

mikerock fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 13, 2011

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Xovaan posted:

drat, man. That's a ton of Volvos. What time span is this? Also the paint on #1 is gorgeous. Hard to find good black paint these days it seems.

I'm still on my first.

The black 240 was originally a cream/white colour. My mishap made me super paranoid about oil changes. When I lived in a place I could do them myself I did. As for the time span, I think it is overall 6 years. The last three are pretty close though, the two 850s are trades up and I got the XC70 in December of 2009. I liked that car and would have kept it if it wasn't for the frame damage. My wife doesn't like driving manual so it was nice to have a car we could both drive, and the body styling on the 90s V70s is really nice. I think I am going to try and get her back on the manual though as I gave her some lessons on #4 and she did really well, but it was intimidating for her as she had just moved from New Jersey drivers to Vancouver drivers plus manual transmission. My new 850 is much smoother and she's been here for a few years now.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My turbo's manual states that minimum is 87 but 91 is recommended.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Casao posted:

Yes, I can. And I did? The point was, I got an S80, wasn't told it was a Turbo, didn't have a Turbo badge. I mean, I could also check a hundred other things, but haven't had reason to do so.

A lot of volvos have turbo engines with no turbo badge. My 850 AWD doesn't have a turbo badge for instance, but it has the 2.3L 5 cyl. turbo motor.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Revvik posted:

Where did this grill come from?

It was a home made job by the PO.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My mom has one. It is nice inside but the 1.4T engine is meh.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

TooLShack posted:

I've been looking for larger car, I've always liked Volvo station wagons. I've been cruising craigslist around here and been watching this one sit around for 3 weeks.

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/2466454984.html

I've watched the price slowly drop, I haven't checked it out yet, the OP doesn't show anything about the V70s or XC70s. Are they decent cars? I need something to carry a 10 foot surfboard. Right now owning 3 roadsters are not working out for me.

I have the same rims on my 97 850 AWD. I had a 98 V70XC for a year and the only thing that went on it was the MAF.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

It will run with regular but the manual calls for premium in turbo 850s. I get much better mileage in my 850 turbo when I use premium.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Looking to move out of my 1997 850 AWD into a non-turbo / non-awd 1997 850. My wife wants to see some fuel usage comparisons. Anyone have any idea where to find this information? The 850 AWD has the same motor as the 1998 V70XC.

Edit: please ignore the avatar, some joker is giving them out in TFR

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Thanks for the advice on fuel economy, guys. I missed the thread for a bit. Ended up passing on the car, my wife was not excited about it and it just didn't have the nice ride the AWD was giving me.

I was using this site: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm and found that after comparing the 850 AWD to the V70XC (same motor) that I am getting the same mileage as being reported there. The 850 plain wasn't much better so I decided after not being blown away by the automatic to just hold on to my car.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My mechanic gave me a promotional booklet for my 1997 850 AWD wagon.

Click for gallery.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Groda posted:

I'm starting to see a pattern with you.

I sold the Ljungman :(

Although my license plate has the same number as my m/41 serial number.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I just sold some stuff to a guy named "thevolvoguy" on a Canadian gun forum and he has built a sleeper 240 that he races.

Here's a couple of his comments about the car:

quote:

I drive a 1980 240 gt with a 302 cobra 5.0 300 hp it is amazing shoot me your email I will send you a pic.

quote:

Right on man this is my 13th 240,lol built it with my dad about 5 years ago it has a t5z world class racing tranny, aluminum drive shaft, 8.8 31 spline 373 gear rear end out of an explorer, the suspension is all solid bushing and adjustable, I slalom race the car, I raced against a Lamborghini guiardo last yeas on the track and I was only a second behind lol, it blows m3s,out of the water.

I'll ask him if it is OK to post the pictures here.

Pics:

mikerock fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 16, 2012

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Some rear end in a top hat crackhead smashed my driver's side mirror in traffic on the way to work today. Thanks you piece of poo poo.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

He was riding his bike and weaving in and out of traffic. I honked at him and he took exception to that. When he caught up to my car at a red light he smashed my mirror with his hand (which probably would have hurt him if he was not high) and rode off. I called the cops but they didn't catch him. There was no loving way I was getting out of my car with a crazy man riding around on a bike.

I should have pulled over to call the cops right away but I went to my work 5 blocks away and called them from there.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I fiddled around with the mirror after work today and was able to get it back in place. It works as far as the controls to move it up/down/left/right are concerned. The plastic housing is cracked and scuffed in places and the mirror is spiderwebbed. At this point I am just going to find the parts and fix it up. I was worried I was going to have to replace the whole thing which after some recent vet bills was not welcome news but now it looks like just the mirror which is acceptable. Lesson learned: when the crazy guy with no teeth is riding his bike in your lane just let him go on his crazy way.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

What color is your car again? I have a couple decent nautic blue mirrors from an S70 that I'd be willing to send to you. You have an 850 right?

I have a brown XC70 again because ... I have an addiction. I was able to fix most of it myself so I just need a new mirror. The plastic housing is a bit cracked and chipped but I can hold off on that for now. Thankfully no paint damage or dents on the door.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Sold my '03 XC70 2.5T and bought this '09 XC70 T6.

Super clean in and out, with OCD level service records from the dealership. Apparently I can get the Polestar upgrade for this model, and I have sent an email to a local dealership to inquire about that. I want to replace the interior trim with wood as the etched metal doesn't do it for me. The BLIS system is annoying and I turn it off every time I get in the car. Keyless entry/ignition is rad as heck though. It also has a longer cargo area when the rear seats are folded than my '03 which is great because I stuff as much poo poo as I can into my car when I take it into the bush.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

It's actually not very expensive, relatively speaking. Goes from 285hp to 315hp, and the fuel efficiency remains the same. I am going to get it done.

https://engineered.polestar.com/en-ca/product/optimisation/xc70-t6-awd-automatic-2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

That’s sbout what the Polestar upgrade is going to cost.