Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So I apologize for not searching through 187 pages, but I’m on the fence about doing the airbag recall on my P2R. I don’t want to lose the R airbag cover to a basic bitch one. What’s the process for removing/swapping them over? Is it feasible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Turbo Fondant posted:

I am personally not a big fan of loving with SRS stuff because of the safety/liability angle. Particularly when the difference is little more than an extra little badge at the bottom (and maybe some stitching?). It is just a little rubber flap but they have almost certainly changed the design of the bag (or one would hope, if it's a recall) and the design of the cover may interact differently with the internals of it. Do the recall and don't look back.

I have done some highly questionable things but airbag mods are haram.

It might just be a small thing to you but I’m not a fan of having a mismatched interior on a non-beater car. It’s the badge, stitching and color of the plastic on the cover. They only replace them with one color, which doesn’t match the rest of the interior. It would bother me every time I got in the car and I’d probably sell it even sooner than I normally would.

I’d rather keep the current R wheel than mess with it also, but I was just looking for an alternative solution.

To be honest I’m probably not going to do the recall. I’ll leave it for the next owner to decide, when I sell it way down the line. I drive it occasionally at best at this point.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

How feasible is it for the oil cap seal to cause a pretty bad oil leak on a P80 V70? My kid’s car has developed a mystery leak and I know the cap seals are crap. He noticed it last night and it’s down about 1.5-2 quarts.

These two spots are after parking overnight a couple of days in a row. He didn’t realize it was leaking right away.

This is under the coil cover. There’s oil pooled around every coil. The cap moves pretty freely.

Even a little oil inside the timing cover. It’s running down the passenger side of the motor and onto the control arm, CV axle and slinging onto the wheel.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just putting this here because if you know, you know

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wrar posted:

I have so many mixed feelings about that car.

When it's working it's so good.

Coming up on a year of ownership and no real issues. Small occasional clunk from the LF when braking abruptly, I’ll have it looked at during inspection next month.

It was mostly the parking deck location / suspension connection

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 29, 2023

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

309k miles and it’s PCV time. My son did it all himself (with Linda supervising) and he noted that for some reason, none of the guides for the P80 were correct for his particular car. Despite that, he got it done relatively easily, didn’t even have to lift the car to get to the lower manifold bolts.

He has a ‘99 FWD 5-speed non-turbo which is apparently highly uncommon. First year of a lot of things on that model, and most were either AWD, auto, or both. The nice thing is he doesn’t have the two most common failure points on them, the AWD coupling and the auto trans.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The boy’s V70 is still losing oil after PCV refresh so cam seals are the next order of business. Since it’s a ‘99, we shouldn’t even need the rear cam lock tool. No VVT also so it’s just take off timing covers, lock crank with a breaker bar & 30mm socket, mark all the reference points, three bolts on each cam sprocket once the tension is off the belt, and remove/replace the press-in seals.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So the verdict on my kid’s P80 V70 was 100% the cam seals. The shop did them and now the car is leak-free.

This year we’ve done the following maintenance -
PCV
Timing Belt
Cam seals
Tires
Tie rod ends
Control arms
Alignment

He had traded a pretty crappy 97 Grand Cherokee for the wagon, and between him and I we are $2,000 into it which I think isn’t bad at all for a big manual tank that he can drive in lovely weather and not worry about. It sucks when it’s almost all PO-deferred maintenance, but the car itself was essentially free and had new brakes, Bilstein suspension, and an exhaust already installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Any of you fools wanna buy an S60R?

My kid would probably kill me if I sold it but I really don’t drive it much anymore.