Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
I've got an interesting issue. 2010 Volvo XC60. Whenever I park with the drivers side higher than the passenger side and there is a heavy rain, I get water in my rear driver side footwell. I've tried taping over the sun roof and it still happens. I can't find any leaks in the door, window or trim. Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I seem to recall something about 2010ish Volvos, and XC60s in particular, having problems with the windshield seal having adhesive failure.

Ah, I should have mentioned that. I did have that problem a few years ago and had the whole windshield and seal replaced because I had a crack anyway. It isn't coming through the windshield.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Turbo Fondant posted:

Has it ever had a repair that required pulling door cards? Does it live in a garage or outside? A lot of the mystery water ingress issues I've diag'd have been failed or poorly installed vapor barriers or clogged door cavity drains.

To the first point, I have no idea. I bought it used. It lives outside. It doesn't leak when it's sitting flat, only when the drivers side is higher than the passenger side, which is unfortunate since that's how I have to park at my new house. The door cavity drain might be a good idea. If the water builds up in the rear door, it might flow into the compartment?

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Ok, I spent most of the day trying to figure this out. I started by using an air compressor to blow out the door cavity drains. They didn't appear to be blocked to begin with, but I did it anyway. I followed up by closing the door and spraying the window with a garden hose for a few minutes. When I opened the door, I found a small stream of water flowing over the door sill and into the cabin. I popped the door panel off and the first thing I noticed was this:

I inspected the door and I found this:

It might be hard to see, but there is water coming through that white plastic standoff and from the black inner door panel. I removed the panel as best as I could and I do not see anything obstructing the flow into the door drains.

I was pretty fed up at this point and just wanted to be done with it, so I drilled a few extra drain holes and added a bead of silicone sealer around the inner panel and behind the stand offs. So far, It seems to not be leaking inside any more.

the guy from Semisonic fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 1, 2023