Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3
The funny thing is that there are plenty of dudes who could do a great Bayaz (including Jeff Bridges, damnit).

The real question is: who the gently caress could do Glokta justice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HELLO LADIES posted:

The funny thing is that there are plenty of dudes who could do a great Bayaz (including Jeff Bridges, damnit).

The real question is: who the gently caress could do Glokta justice?

One thing that surprised me on a re-read was (technically re-)discovering that Glokta is 35 at the beginning of the first trilogy. I'd internalized him as an old man so much that it would be weird to see a 35 year old actor playing him. Though I imagine they'd use makeup

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'd hope so. Severely disfiguring an actor to play the role is a bit over the top.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'd hope so. Severely disfiguring an actor to play the role is a bit over the top.

I bet Tom cruise would do it

maybe jared leto but nobody wants that

e: maybe we could see how far jeremy strong's dedication to method is--he's played military before after all

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 24, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Shia pulled out a tooth for Fury, according to Jon Bernthal. But then again we all know that dude has issues.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Dude has to be handsome as gently caress for the flashbacks.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Actual cannibal Shia LaBeouf

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
DJ Qualls might be able to pull of Glokta.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

You can always make someone uglier and the dudes got to be a gallant motherfucker in flashbacks. Honestly, I don't think you get a big name for the dude who is supposed to surprise people. Find a skinny rear end young guy who can act and let him steal it the show from Henry Cavill's Logan.

Though I do like the idea of having to make Anthony Carrigan look like God's perfect officer in flashback.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I suppose there are actual disabled actors who might fit the role too

You’d have the reverse problem for flashbacks, but there weren’t a ton of them in first trilogy anyway were there? Mostly dreams if I remember right

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm sure there are some disabled vets who would love to get a better role than "war victim.” My ideal adaptation is each book being a season of prestige TV so you could pull in Glotka's glorious charge in pretty easily.

Salem Rews is another one that would be really hard to cast if you get a full series run. Like find a fat featured extra and be like, okay, there's a meaty role for you in 2 years if you drop 100 lbs.

Edit: I forgot about Hot Glotka

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 26, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think Abercrombie said somewhere that Graham McTavish would be perfect for Bayaz.

It helps that he’s a fan
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheFirstLaw/comments/117guj1/actor_graham_mctavish_reading_an_excerpt_from_the/

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm sure there are some disabled vets who would love to get a better role than "war victim.” My ideal adaptation is each book being a season of prestige TV so you could pull in Glotka's glorious charge in pretty easily.

Salem Rews is another one that would be really hard to cast if you get a full series run. Like find a fat featured extra and be like, okay, there's a meaty role for you in 2 years if you drop 100 lbs.

Edit: I forgot about Hot Glotka

I think Hot Glokta is just Joe Abercrombie tbh.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I bet Tom cruise would do it

maybe jared leto but nobody wants that

e: maybe we could see how far jeremy strong's dedication to method is--he's played military before after all

I think you'd find a sizable population that would support Jared Leto being disfigured.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm rereading The Blade Itself with an eye for adaptability to the screen and there's really very little that needs to change. Most of the characters internal dialogue is either conveyable via expression or said explicitly later. The hardest job is going to be Jezal being horny for/internally chastising Ardee for the same behavior based on his mood.

The only major change at the beginning, I think would be moving up Jezal's card game and putting Rews at the table. Rews can fill in a bit of Jezal's noble backstory, establish that they know each other, and get black-bagged in the background as Jezal leaves to go fence.

I honestly think the biggest problem with adaptation is casting. You'll need a lot of very big dudes, some of them Albino, etc.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can't entirely explain why, but I see Frost as Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys in my head

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Say one thing for Joe Abercrombie, say he's finally getting a book adapted to film:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1663617047518154752?s=20

Apparently he's the screenwriter for it too!

https://twitter.com/LordGrimdark/status/1663620918256492544?s=20

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

adebisi lives posted:

Say one thing for Joe Abercrombie, say he's finally getting a book adapted to film:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1663617047518154752?s=20

Apparently he's the screenwriter for it too!

https://twitter.com/LordGrimdark/status/1663620918256492544?s=20

Extremely good casting choice. Wonder if they'll keep the incest.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It's not my nine seasons of HBO prestige drama but it's a good start.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

It's not my nine seasons of HBO prestige drama but it's a good start.

Nice standalone story. The continuity stuff is easily cut (King Jezal in the brothel, etc) and if they ever wanted to adapt the Blade Itself they could probably just swing BSC as a prequel, so Monza is already queen by the time the Blade Itself begins. Doesn't affect too much else.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hey cool. Hope they pull it off

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Hell yes!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The most worrying thing here is just how much of the story has to go to get down to movie length. Can you even fit an effective Shivers/Monza outlook reversal on revenge?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The logistics of the Contest are absurd. 16 participants, two matches on the first day. Matches take like 10 minutes? gently caress piling in the stands for that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
These are nobles. 30 minutes of outdoor entertainment makes for great conversation at the next 6 hours of drinking indoors, out of the sun.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Casting this will be fun!

Rebecca Ferguson is amazing. No clue of potential actors for Shivers and Cosca. I could see some trying to get Jason Momoa for Shivers but please no.

After seeing him play Fuches, Stephen Root would make for a fun Cosca but he is a bit too old for that role now.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
cosca should be a tall, thin italian man. im thinking john turturro

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Javier Bardem would be a good Cosca

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Jason Isaac's as Zhukov in The Death of Stalin is my Cosca

So just get Jason Isaacs

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m thinking someone like Mads Mikkelsen as Shivers.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
He's too old for shivers in best served cold. He'd be a good shivers in the second trilogy.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

The logistics of the Contest are absurd. 16 participants, two matches on the first day. Matches take like 10 minutes? gently caress piling in the stands for that.

How long is a real life boxing match? People go nuts for that poo poo and its 12 rounds max with 3 minutes in each round. 20 minutes of sword-fighting with feasts, posturing, musicians, gossip etc. It's also easy to forget that for a noble this is actually work. One of your main roles is to schmooze with other aristos and make big important deals and stuff so fancy get-togethers where everyone can show off their jewelry and feathered hats is time to make alliances and marriages and all that other stuff.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Usually boxing events have eight or nine matches on tap. Even when you buy a pay per view you still get four televised fights.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

People go to see sumo fights where there's 15 minutes of ceremony and build up and then like four seconds of action, the dueling contest really isn't that egregious

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Maybe its only two real duels, but there's like warmup events and a halftime show where they bring out a donkey, etc. You could easily make a big day of it.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

RCarr posted:

I’m thinking someone like Mads Mikkelsen as Shivers.

Alexander Skarsgård did a fine job in The Northman.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm telling myself there's an undercard.

In the middle of my reread of the OG trilogy and I do so love the scenes of Jezal getting dog walked around the Agriont by Ardee.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I love how obvious everything is on read-throughs. This series is one of my favorites for sure.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Curious whether Crummock-i-Phail is a spirit speaker like Logan. He got accurate Intel about Logan's whereabouts by "the moon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

On my reread, I suspect that Yoru Sulfur replaced Marovia way earlier in TLAoK than I previously thought: right after Bayez and Jezal put down the rebellion and Sulfur discards his Tanner suit.

When Glotka meets with Marovia on Sult's behalf prior to selecting a new king we don't get a heterochromia tell, but Marovia is chowing down on really rare meat. It doesn't really change anything, but it makes sense for Bayez to stack the deck with yet another card he didn't need to use.

It makes Sulfur a closet Republican, which is funny.