Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not for nothing, but I feel like if someone I had met more than once or twice suddenly had two different colored eyes, I'd notice it quickly. Might even be the first thing I notice about them meeting them the first time actually, it's a very distinctive trait

Maybe everyone in the first law universe is just very polite about this kind of thing and it's rude to talk about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Not for nothing, but I feel like if someone I had met more than once or twice suddenly had two different colored eyes, I'd notice it quickly. Might even be the first thing I notice about them meeting them the first time actually, it's a very distinctive trait

Maybe everyone in the first law universe is just very polite about this kind of thing and it's rude to talk about it

Isn't there a point towards the end where someone runs into both Marovias within a few minutes of each other?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Welp my dumb Marovia theory was easily dashed. I forgot that Glotka literally stumbles on the remains of what's left of him during the tail end of the siege.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Oh hey, Finree's eventual husband was set to be hanged but Jezal pardoned him. Whoopsie doodle.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Revisiting the new trilogy and I'm enjoying it way more knowing how it ends. Orso as farce and Leo's Himbo squad are particular highlights.

Also the evolution of Pacey's Gorst voice is amazing in quick sequence.

Edit: who the gently caress was Real Weaver that Malmer put Vic onto? It couldn't be Pike or Glotka. On my first reading I pegged it as Sulfur but now I don't know what the gently caress.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 20, 2023

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Finished revisiting the Trouble with Peace and I have some thoughts.

1. The biggest reason the new trilogy fell flat for me was an expectation that we'd get more glimpses of the Magi pulling the strings of the world. I wondered if I had been reading what I wanted into the text, but Abercrombie absolutely foreshadows it and doesn't pay it off. The House of the Maker opening up is mentioned more often than Orso hates hangings. When combined with Rikke's open door/empty room prophecy I completely see why I spent all of tWoC waiting for a trip to the fireworks factory that never came.

2. Reading the first two books for Glockta's anti-Bayaz conspiracy seems, quite frankly, a mess. What he foresaw, where he lost control, what he expected versus what he got, etc. First and foremost I just can't picture him letting Savine go to Valbek when he knew the uprising was about to pop off. Especially when all the pieces necessary for his anti-Sulfur plan were in place before the end of A Little Hatred. I get the concept of "break it to fix it" in theory, but it makes more sense when you're on the outside looking in. It seems to make more sense to sic the useful idiots of the Open Council conspiracy at Valint and Balk as the power behind the Closed Council. I'm curious if it all resolves to coherence in the finale.

3. I still don't know who killed Jezal.

4. Where the gently caress is all the money?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I need to go back through the new trilogy. I thought Bayaz killed Jezel though.

I feel like I can sum up the new trilogy like this, going into it I wanted Bayaz to eat poo poo or lose control in a way, maybe even kill him or have that final confrontation.

After finishing it I feel like I kinda got what I wanted, but not in the way I wanted to get it.

I feel like that kinda sums up Abercrombie’s writing in general. I was a bit disappointed that we didn’t get the final confrontation but I feel like he’s not done with it yet so we are going to get at least another trilogy. How that one goes could completely change the way I feel about this one. Similar to an empire strikes back situation where people were booing in the theater.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I enjoyed the first two books of the trilogy but thought the third fell flat.

I thought the best part of The Wisdom of Crowds was the epilogue where Rikki has her vision of things to come. We catch a glimpse of Bayaz, back in the lab, building his revenge. I hope we get to see the results of that in a new series.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Harton posted:

I need to go back through the new trilogy. I thought Bayaz killed Jezel though.

It's either Bayaz or Glokta. The problem is it only makes sense if Glokta did it, but also there's a scene where Bayaz looks directly at the camera and winks, while talking about Jezal dying.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It doesn't make sense for either of them.

Not Bayaz: Jezal is compliant, unambitious, healthy, and reasonably popular (more than Orso at least). He's exactly what Bayaz ostensibly wants. I suppose "can win in Syria" could be on the list, but lol on thinking Orso's that guy.

Not Glockta: while Glockta might want Jezal dead for Weaver related reasons, he either missed or ignored Orso's capacity for competence, neither of which seems like him. The timing is off too. If your goal is to kick the wheels off the system and you have access to murder the monarch, why do it when the system has time to congeal around his successor? Even if you were going to, would you do so if Bayaz just happened to roll into town the day you were planning to do it?

Maybe he just had a heart attack.

Jezal is also the wrong guy to kill.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It doesn't make sense for either of them.

Fine fine, it makes more sense for Glokta then, if you want to put it like that. But the narrative still makes out like it was Bayaz, so it's all very messy.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Oh yeah, Glotcka makes the most sense, I just don't see how Bayaz just rolls with it though, if for no other reason that it's funny when he's big mad.

Some volunteer stage direction: if they ever adapt The Blade Itself, I want Bayaz's tea to subtly boil while he's watching Bayaz: the Musical

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah the new trilogy fell apart a bit at the end. It wasnt bad but it felt like the whole Bayaz thing is running out of steam so maybe after Joe spends some time in a new world he can come back to First Law and conclude the whole Bayaz thing. Three trilogies is a good length for a series.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Blog update, mostly about The Devils, with some details about his writing process. Final draft hopefully by the end of the year.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Finally finished Age of Madness. I got to say Vic and Broad's POVs and conclusions make a lot more sense if you see them more like if Severard/Frost were POV characters than Glokta/Logan. It's kinda weird for characters to have little to no character growth and be overall sorta 1-dimensional but I guess that was sorta the point of their character in contrast with the real protaganists?!

Amuys fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 7, 2023

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm listening to the audio books at work. I'm up to The Heroes right now, just a few hours in. I can't decide if the reader's Gorst voice is the best thing or the worst thing.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

it's great. my personal theory is that gorsts voice in the first trilogy is what he actually sounds like, and his voice in the subsequent books is what he thinks he sounds like

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Crespolini posted:

it's great. my personal theory is that gorsts voice in the first trilogy is what he actually sounds like, and his voice in the subsequent books is what he thinks he sounds like

Huh. That's actually kinda brilliant.

The scene after the first battle in The Heroes where Shivers super casually starts sliding his little pen knife into the prisoner over and over and over after the guy calls him Dow's dog made my loving skin crawl.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

What's the general consensus on the trilogy following Red Country? I've seen some bitching and moaning about it in a few places, but I didn't dig too deep into it because I trust randos on the internet far less than most goons.

Getting into the third act of Red Country right now. I get the feeling a lot of loose ends are gonna get tied up here. Really enjoying it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i like the new trilogy a little less than the old trilogy, but thats mostly due to the high water mark of logen ninefingers

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Oops

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I enjoyed it on the whole; probably a little less than the first trilogy or the better parts of the standalone novels but it's still a first law trilogy. If you've read and enjoyed all the books up till now, I would recommend that you keep going

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

I enjoyed it on the whole; probably a little less than the first trilogy or the better parts of the standalone novels but it's still a first law trilogy. If you've read and enjoyed all the books up till now, I would recommend that you keep going

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Red country is so good

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

DangerDummy! posted:

What's the general consensus on the trilogy following Red Country? I've seen some bitching and moaning about it in a few places, but I didn't dig too deep into it because I trust randos on the internet far less than most goons.

Getting into the third act of Red Country right now. I get the feeling a lot of loose ends are gonna get tied up here. Really enjoying it.

They're good books (especially #2) but as a trilogy they don't come together nearly as well as the first set did. I know I was expecting the last book to be more like LAoK in terms of plot shattering twists and development and was a little disappointed with how the book wrapped things up, but not nearly to where I regret reading or anything.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

DangerDummy! posted:

It was good but also disappointing. Worth reading for a fan, but not nearly as good as the First Law trilogy or the standalones. The historical parallels get a bit messy and there's not enough of the magic/fantasy world bits (in my opinion). And I'm not sure how to put it, but it felt like he was putting the characters through lovely times without the same kind of satisfying payoffs that previous works had.

Like, if you've enjoyed reading up through Red Country, you will still enjoy the new trilogy.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Just finished a re-read-through and it was much more enjoyable the second time knowing there's no big magic poo poo lurking in the background this time.

The first read-through was fine but I was expecting a trip to the fireworks factory that didn't come.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Harton posted:

Red country is so good

It really is. I'm about 100 pages from finishing it. It sags in a couple parts, but it might be my favorite Abercrombie behind maybe The Heroes. The tone and the setting are working for me, big time.

I really hope it sticks the landing!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
my favorite is sharp ends. i love how abercrombie crafts stories that he knows he doesnt have to finish, and i think hes strongest in single chapters/short stories

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

my favorite is sharp ends. i love how abercrombie crafts stories that he knows he doesnt have to finish, and i think hes strongest in single chapters/short stories

I'm sticking with the publication order, but I thought about jumping the line for Sharp Ends. I like a good collection a short stories.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Harton posted:

Red country is so good

I love a good fantasy Western, and this is probably the best example of it.

It hurt my heart to see Cosca falling back into his old ways, though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Devorum posted:

I love a good fantasy Western, and this is probably the best example of it.

It hurt my heart to see Cosca falling back into his old ways, though.

:same: on that last front.

I thought it did him dirty at first, but someone ITT explained it to me in a way that made it make sense; it's not a heel turn at all, he's always been a bastard, we just liked him before because he was on our side; to his enemies he was always like this, now we just have the bad luck of seeing it from that POV

I get it but I miss the ... old new? him

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

DangerDummy! posted:

I thought the first two were very good and the third was highly mediocre. The third becomes a really obvious find-and-replace for the French Revolution

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Just finished a re-read-through and it was much more enjoyable the second time knowing there's no big magic poo poo lurking in the background this time.

The first read-through was fine but I was expecting a trip to the fireworks factory that didn't come.

This also disappointed me. In the first six books, we see a lot of interesting lore about the Magi. We also see a lot of characters we like get jerked around by Bayaz, who then declines to jerk around the characters who are..well..jerks.

I was also really disappointed by how conspicuously the House of the Maker doesn't appear. Nobody poking through the rubble or searching the basements or what have you. In fact, outside of the North and the Eaters, I don't remember any significant magic.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I really think there was a magic plotline that got cut in TWoC. The first two books have too many random characters making too many references to the House of the Maker opening but in the third book I don't think anyone mentions it except as a landmark.

Also, I think Vic oversells Glotka's plot as brilliant 3d chess and it left me looking for more connections than there really were. Glotka's plan was fine, but all it was was controlled opposition left to run wild as a distraction while the Inquisition purged the bank. The impression is that Pike had an army of practicals hanging out and ready to end Burners whenever he wanted to and the Terror only happened because they couldn't get the vault open before Risinau ran out of steam.

That's unsatisfying to me because there's nothing on the page indicating that Bayazites were resisting, or even existed to resist. It seems like a lot of unnecessary kidney punches to the nation state that he plans to resurrect not to mention extreme personal risk to his daughter.

My biggest disappointment on my reread though is Orso's escape being a poo poo show premised upon everyone becoming incompetent. Savine and Vic together are ostensibly a dream team of intrigue and influence with the tacit support of the Inquisition. It makes no sense to break Orso out without a plan to get him out of the city.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Haven't read the last one, yet. Is there a yound Napoleon character?

Re: westerns fantasy: the Jerusalem Man/Jon Shannow books were really good.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Collateral posted:

Haven't read the last one, yet. Is there a yound Napoleon character?

Re: westerns fantasy: the Jerusalem Man/Jon Shannow books were really good.

God, I remember those from when I was a kid. I remember glancing through another David Gemmell book when I was an adult once and it didn't hold up so well though.

I also vividly remember being given a historical novel about the late Roman Republic by a chap called Conn Iggulden, on the basis that the giver knew I love history, and I think the blurb proclaimed the author was a bona fide history professor? It was complete tripe and the writing and characters reminded me overwhelmingly of Gemmell's stuff.

That's my pointless story, thank you for attending this talk.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Emperor Yolk I

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I was personally really disappointed in the last trilogy. To the point it lessened my interest in future stories. Though I'll likely still read them. But I doubt I will re-read it.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

I was personally really disappointed in the last trilogy. To the point it lessened my interest in future stories. Though I'll likely still read them. But I doubt I will re-read it.

My overall reaction was "Oh, that's it? Okay...". Have no desire to re-read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I thought the most recent trilogy was just okay. Not a bad way to pass the time but I can't see myself rereading it like I can the first six books. I think my subjective reading experience was harmed by moving on to it soon after reading "The Black Jacobins" on the nonfiction side and a couple of Le Guin on the fiction. Not to be the soft science version of the type of nerd to complain about how spaceships wouldn't have the right amount of Delta V to do what they do but the whole revolution felt like a bunch of set pieces the author constructed than something that could actually happen organically.