Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
I don't know if I'm alone in this but I couldn't stand the Shev and Javre stories. They just felt very one note and seemed way too far in the direction of caricatures rather than characters. I didn't really buy them as fitting in the world - they seemed like they wandered in from some other zanier book. Really glad Poochy didn't show up in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Gorst is probably my favorite character in the series. I like how he was written as the supreme badass with a sword but is a failure in just about every other aspect of his life. Wonder how different it could have been for him if Bayaz didn't gently caress him out of a tournament win in his youth.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
The characters seem to have picked up the teleportation technology featured in late seasons of Game of Thrones.

It wouldn't be so maddening if they didn't bring it up all the time about how it's only been 'X months' or whatever since major events have happened. Armies are raised, equipped, trained and marched all over the place willy nilly over what I previously presumed were extreme distances but now seem like something they crisscross very frequently. I don't really care that much but it seems he really compressed the timeline with how much happens and changes so frequently.

Like, they don't even have 'Raven Technology' like GoT so besides whatever nonsense Bayaz has, their fastest letters are traveling via method of Guy On Horse/Boat.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The logistics of the Contest are absurd. 16 participants, two matches on the first day. Matches take like 10 minutes? gently caress piling in the stands for that.

How long is a real life boxing match? People go nuts for that poo poo and its 12 rounds max with 3 minutes in each round. 20 minutes of sword-fighting with feasts, posturing, musicians, gossip etc. It's also easy to forget that for a noble this is actually work. One of your main roles is to schmooze with other aristos and make big important deals and stuff so fancy get-togethers where everyone can show off their jewelry and feathered hats is time to make alliances and marriages and all that other stuff.