Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Orange Carebear posted:

TBH, even if he had just had West be injured but clearly recovering I would have felt a lot better

I thought that West lived. At least, there's no clear indication that he died. I hope :unsmith:.

All my excitement for the Mountain that Eat's latest work has now gone into this Heroes of Abercrombie's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

But remember that bit at the end of Kings? The one where Glokta and Luthar discuss making things better for the common man and stuff as best they can without Bayaz getting wind of it? All I'm saying is that Glokta isn't entirely a twisted evil little parody of a man. And show me the part where West dies, I challenge you. Oh, it's heavily hinted at, but even if magic=radiation, I'm not convinced that he was exposed enough to bite it. I don't think Bayaz said that the entire population of Aulcus died even if a lot of them did.

I will find my silver lining you bastards!!!

edit: also it's fun to use spoiler tags so it looks like whatever you're saying is really interesting, especially when it's not.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

cheese posted:

(remember that the eaters/Hundred Words reveal that they hate themselves and live in agony of their crimes)[/spoiler]

I agree with most of that but this one little quibble. Sure, some are all angsty, but others are like, "gently caress yeah! I eat human flesh and therefore have superpowers!"

There's one thing about the Eaters, though. If cannibalism gives you super-powers/magical abilities and the people in this world are a bunch of assholes, then what's stopping the whole planet from devolving into a cannibalistic nightmare? Either there's some special, Khalul's-boyz-only process that gives you super-mega-eater abilities or Bayaz isn't quite as outright evil as he seems. At least he isn't using Eaters en masse.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FINISH THE BOOK, JOE!

oh, wait

I had the same thought the other day. This guy is like nonfat Gurm.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The Crooked Warden posted:

And NEVER have I seen a character I wanted to strangle as much as arrogant loving Morveer.
I think Morveer was :spergin:. Totally fits the bill. Hell, when you throw in Friendly you've got the whole autistic spectrum represented.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

That last bit there's fascinating. All the spirits have been disappearing, and with Logen out of the picture for now (I wouldn't count the bastard dead yet), there's no one can talk to them. And this Bedesh fellow who was given one throwaway line in... The Blade Itself? He's the spirit guy.

You've stumbled on either something absolutely gigantic or this series' biggest red herring, keiran_helcyan.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Evfedu posted:

Logen had a fantastic arc that pretty much encompassed everything you needed to know about him except: "Who is his dad" and maybe a clearer explanation of his berserking.

That and the way the ending mirrored how we met him, I mean, that's pretty much a goodbye, with a very Abercrombian shrug of "sometimes you live through a big fall. More often you don't."

Is this a spoiler from the first four books or The Heroes? I want to read it but don't know if I should. :(

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Have any of you guys read The Steel Remains by Richard K. Morgan? It's pretty dark, too.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

PopetasticPerson posted:

My name is Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune, and I am here for dinner.

:patriot:

I really can't believe he's gone, he was one of my favorites. Also how is Shivers essentially not the Bloody Nine now? He goes into crazy laughing and killing fits and apparently has some kind of superhuman strength. Oh well. I literally gasped and had to re-read the section where he got stabbed a couple of times, to be sure that it was really happening. Also that bit with Friendly when they were leaving was surprisingly touching. I wanted him to make it through more than anyone else, and use all that money on a nice long drinking binge. I hope they have whiskey in hell :smith:

I don't know how to say this without spoiling something, but keep reading, man :unsmith:.

edit: and don't get too attached to Shivers because he tries to betray Murcatto and it's less satisfying than you might think.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 9, 2010

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'd really like to see a "dark" fantasy thread, but haven't really read enough for a solid OP. I can only think of three, and they've already been posted here: GRRM, Superior Joey, and Mieville. I'd really like to expand my knowledge of this subgenre. Does Jack Vance count? His Dying Earth stories can get pretty grim, but he leans towards wordiness. What about Harold Lamb? He wrote adventure fiction in the teens and twenties, but a lot of it was semi-fantastical and the samples that I've read seem about as hardboiled as Abercrombie.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Forget Ice and Fire, I want to see an HBO series of these so hard. I think they're the only company that wouldn't try to sugar-coat it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

How is what happened to her all that much of a negative? I mean, plenty of definitely worse things than being married to a bedshitting cripple could be arranged for a king's former lover. They may even have something near a functional relationship.

I really, really hope West isn't dead. He's imperfect but dying of goddamn radiation poisoning is no way for someone of his caliber to go. I hope/suspect we'll see more from him as some kind of reaaaaally crippled high commander.

edit: spoiled dat poo poo

edit2: who plays J. dan Luthar in the imaginary HBO miniseries? I say Orlando Bloom only without any fake English accent.

Christopher Lee is of course Bayaz.

A man can dream, right? :unsmith:

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 11, 2011

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Maybe it was a good thing, in the end. Sure he's a physical wreck and has some psychological issues (big understatement), but Arch Lector Glokta is well capable of protecting her and she apparently had a thing for him before he was all crippled and horrible, and apparently still liked him enough to tolerate his company afterward. Not exactly a match made in heaven, but probably better than being the King's mistress or penniless on the street or having to deal with an abusive brother. Sure, West hated himself for it, but that doesn't mean he'd stop hitting her if he hadn't gotten microwaved.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Does Ninefingers show up? I don't want any more detail than that, just a 'yes' or 'no,' please.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I got mine wedensday. Really weird, since Amazon UK was originally telling me it wouldn't ship 'till the 15th or so. Just finished, haven't really had time to digest it but if you've got questions I'll try to answer 'em without spoilers.
paraphrased:
"It's the Bloody-nine!"
"No it isn't, he's dead!"
The Dogman stabs a bitch, and says "AAAAAGH it's the Bloody-Nine!" and then all Dow's skirmishers fuckin' bolt.

In conclusion the Dogman is the best. And I feel sorry for Craw. I hoped he'd quit for realsies

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Decius posted:

He doesn't. Don't forget that the whole business in Styria went completely contrary to what he wanted. And even in TFL not everything went according to his plan.

I'm convinced that all of Abercrombie's books so far are just setting up Bayaz for a really hard fall later.

e: that didn't need to be spoilered.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Bizob posted:

poor west

Oh, yes. Goddrat :smith:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

I finished The Heroes about a week ago but looking back now, was there ever any mention of Glokta?

Nope. And I can't say I'm all that disappointed; dude had enough attention in BSC. He ain't the real puppetmaster.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Kneel Before Zog posted:

An odd request but could someone spoil the major events that happened at the end of BSC? I never finished the book and left it back home but I've been holding off Heroes because of this.

You really don't need to have finished BSC to get into Heroes. Their plotlines are almost unrelated.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Bizob posted:

The simple fact that "Heros Die" is cited along with the First Law and Malazan in that article is almost enough to get me to overcome the shame that would come with buying something with that awful cover. Can anyone tell me if its any good?

I've heard that it is but haven't read it myself. It's been out for a while too, so you can probably find an edition that has a better cover if you check used book stores or amazon.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

So who plays the Dogman in the inevitable HBO miniseries? My money's on Steve Buscemi.

V: poo poo, you got me there.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 31, 2011

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

keiran_helcyan posted:

They say next to nothing on him, I know because I was wondering the same thing. We know he's the one who specialized in talking to spirits but that's about it, so at the very least he was still around when the seed was stored. I think someone asked Joe about it once and he played coy.

Bedesh works with Shenkt, calling it now. Note that I said 'works with' not 'commands.'

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I don't know if you're far enough in yet, but pretty soon you'll start to figure out that he's also loving pathetic in his own way. I still can't decide if I hate or pity the guy.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Beastie posted:

Also gently caress Bayaz, in the first book you admire him and then you slowly realize how he is such a cocksucker for no loving reason.

I wouldn't say it's for no reason. Since Bayaz is effectively immortal he's stopped seeing short-lived humans as anything but ants or chess pieces or whatever. Not that this excuses the absolute fucker in any way, but his attitudes are comprehensible. And his motivation is simple as poo poo: pure hatred for the Prophet.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

Yulwei is surely deader than a doornail.

Or working with Tolomei to escape and add loving DEMONS to the already-horrible world these poor bastards inhabit.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

He is up in the Hills, speaking to the moon.

Probably a pretty good decision for a character in Abercrombie's books.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

I read Best Served Cold before the First Law trilogy, and while it had a couple of minor spoilers it also some interesting moments when I realised who the Cripple was and why the king preferred Monza's hair colour but they're all still pretty good books.

I don't think either of those are particularly important spoilers, but you might want to fix your spoiler tag even so.

And yeah, start with The Blade Itself and you'll know a little more about the world in the stories (does it even have a name?) and its history. However, the world and its shape and history take a definite backseat to the characters, so take that with a grain of salt.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I want to say it showed up in Before they are Hanged, on one of Glokta's visits to the university. or was that The Blade Itself?

FMguru posted:

In other words, that world's equivalent of our cheesy fantasy novels.

I wouldn't say cheesy fantasy novels so much as as tiresome folklore like the Eddas or Beowulf or something. And I don't think Bayaz wrote the ones the adeptus historical gives Glokta, because a section was missing and it's kinda implied that one of Bayaz's scalawags took it. Unless that was Sult. Dammit I just finished a reread and already my memory's failing.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Goddammit do I have to buy the Kindle version or something? I bought the UK hardcover because I liked the cover better and I miss out? You'd figure he'd give the perfidious Britons the short story.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

UncleMonkey posted:

e: Also, just an aside, but literally every single time I see a headline about Syria now, by brain automatically reads it as Styria. Understandable since the only difference between them is a single letter, I guess. I can't be the only one.

I never had that problem until you mentioned it. Dick :v: . Have fun reading about Monza and her brother's past! When the incest is revealed and you get all shocked I'm gonna be laughing on you.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Badass as he is, he needs some kind of comeuppance. All-powerful douchewizards must die.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Dang... his self-criticism seems harsher than that one conservative guy who accused him of bankrupt nihilism.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 15, 2012

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What's a Rainbow Guard?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What? In The Heroes he becomes king of half the North!.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

No way he brings Logan back. You have to be realistic about these things.... Right? :smith:

It better not be Logen. Face it, the guy survived that fall and is having all kinds of horrible adventures, and Abercrombie will never tell us about them, the horrible bastard!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What about Shivers? Does he have any reason not to go globetrotting after The Heroes? I'm not saying it's likely after his Styrian adventure, but it may be a possibility.

Fakedit: What if it's Sergeant Pike from Before they are Hanged/Last Argument of Kings?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It would almost make sense. Dude's tough as old leather nails but not disabled. Also, doesn't he have some kind of ridiculous scarring?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

That's a good idea, but he just got a POV role in The Heroes.

Edit: waitaminute, "cowardly step-father"? That leaves Pike out. And Gorst, too. poo poo. A hardass playing a coward would almost be clichéd, so I've got my bets on an actual coward. My money's on a minor character someone from the other books let live. Or maybe Red Beck from The Heroes?

e2: But wait, he retired to the farm in the end, didn't he?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 14, 2012

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It could be a new character, but Abercrombie has a definite habit of making minor characters from previous books into main characters for new ones. Wouldn't mind if he broke that habit, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It could be both...