Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I thought that Stranger-Come-Knocking said somewhere in the heroes that he used to be called "Pip," which was the name of one of Crummock-i-Phail's children in the original trilogy. IE he's Crummock's son and just a really big dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Suxpool posted:

None of Crummock-i-Phail's children were named Pip. Furthermore, he was chief of the hillmen, not the savage tribes east of the Crinna. Plus not enough time passed between the original trilogy and The Heroes for one of his kids to grow into a giant with grey-streaked hair.

Ah nuts. Could have sworn I remembered a "Pip" from the trilogy. My bad.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Like, Bayaz's empire is based on gently caress you banker capitalism, but he also goes in for the whole cannibalism trip, so I kinda feel like he's the badder guy.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Normal Adult Human posted:

It's society. They work for each other, Morty.

Say one thing about you, say you're gonna get laid a lot in college.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Oh, come now, the ending we got was perfectly representative of King's degeneration as a writer.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If you're going to insist on mostly Englishmen howzabout Jason Statham as Logen? Hell, you could just reuse a lot of the footage from Crank.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

the main characters are about to beat the mages when it is revealed everything they did made the mages twice as strong

edit: also there's machine guns now and the mages have them

Also everyone is addicted to heroin now and guess who's selling it?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

no, it's magi

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The Gurkish are actually mormons, tia

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I read his review and it kinda made some interesting points but there were too many grammar errors and it made his arguments kind of hard to follow. Maybe it'l be more readable if he does a second draft.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

OK, I've taken the time to digest your post and dang. Harsh, but fair enough. I've added Svejk and Vanity Fair to my reading list. I'd give your other posts a look but I haven't read any of the other fantasy/sci-fi stuff you've written about. Are you going to cover any of Mieville's stuff?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Gurkish" is actually how it's spelled in the books.

I'm talking about basic copy-editing, though. You're writing at a mid-collegiate level here and using a lot of fancy words so I found myself having to stop every couple paragraphs to figure out whether you're using some construction I haven't seen or if you'd just missed an error while editing.

I mean stuff like this:

"...not as any sort of authenticity to human."

Do you mean humanity?

"...but we abide by it insight..."

Its?

"...testify on what remains of man..."

This may be more of a stretch but that should probably be "testify to".

"This is pure an example of fantasy one may find:"

"...as pure ... as one may find" maybe?

"...the function of popular art restores to us vitality that which we have lost in our everyday lives."

For the second half of this sentence, use "that" or "which", not both. For the first, consider "the function of popular art is to restore..." or maybe "popular art functions to restore..."

"his books sell for the same reasons as overrated movies"

I'd go with "that" instead of "as" here.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

$20 says the new Glokta's flaw is that she's hopelessly sheltered but thinks she's hardcore because her dad keeps backing her up

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Bayaz and Khalul gear up for a final battle, then simultaneously slip on banana peels and die while Joe Abercrombie personally addresses the reader and calls us idiots for expecting that kind of conclusion

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I think the dialogue implied that he's more a Snacker than an Eater

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If your book doesn't have incest there's no way it'll make it onto prestige TV. Abercrombie's just doing the necessary.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I always figured the change was due to age and mental decrepitude brought on by a long life of heavy drinking and maybe syphilis.

Like, maybe he actually was a slightly better person between BSC and Red Country. No textual support because I've lost my copies so... eh.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

adebisi lives posted:

- I really hope Gorst gets to carve up some people before the series is over.

Calling it now: in the climactic Final Battle in book 3, Gorst gets a long scene of stretching and putting on his armor and sharpening those magnificent swords of his. He then sprains an ankle, falls down a flight of stairs, is then bonked to death with a frying pan, screaming like a teakettle all the way there.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Those bits where you're looking into his inner monologue and he's all like "yeah im a ladies man who loves the ladies, total poonhound right here" but he spends way more time thinkin about his bros is some good poo poo. Him and Jurand gonna hook up midway through book 2, calling it now.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

... and being the wife of someone who was executed for treason (Brock was one of the traitors, right?).

Nah, her husband was that guy's son and got promoted from lieutenant or something to lord governor thanks to Finree in one of the earlier books.

Not a spoiler for the new book so I'm not tagging it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, him and I think one other big character from The Heroes (Rikke's mother, I think?) died of Offscreen Disease between books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Does anyone else here play Crusader Kings II? I just had a small epiphany: it's basically Bayaz Simulator. Slightly-nicer-than-in-the-books Bayaz but still.