Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

ulmont posted:

Didn't he make that obvious in Half the World?
He made the actual time-period and way in which the world ended much more explicit in War, but yeah, ever since Skifr called death it's obvious it was a post apoc of some description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
It felt very right. In the structure of this world where an oath is something that can actually bind these people in this way because they believe it does, there's nothing he wouldn't do to achieve his greater good. Even the happy ending feels very hopeless in the larger context.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
P. sure the ending was a direct extension of Monza's character arc and moral growth, lampshaded by the whole "my weakness has limits" exchange.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Joe posted:

On the subject of change, yes, it was very much a deliberate decision. In fantasy – and maybe fiction in general – we’re used to seeing a lot of smooth, lasting and meaningful transitions: the farm boy who learns to be a great king, the used up man of violence who finds his heart, the young couple destined for perfect romance, and even on the grand scale, great battles that usher in a changed society and a new epoch for the world. In real life we often make big changes in response to some great upheaval, but when we’re back in our familiar lives among familiar people they often don’t stick, and the great wars very rarely fundamentally change the nature of things, or even of the people in power. So I wanted to offer a fantasy that sits on the other side of the scale from those simple changes, in which change seems extremely difficult, maybe even impossible, and at the end, after all the blood shed, the world seems very much the same as it was at the start...
Eh, this worries me.

He's done this in both TFL, the Half A Series and explored the characters further in the stand-alone stuff. I've never been dissatisfied with his work but I'm not sure I could deal with another trilogy that ends "and so you see life is poo poo and will remain poo poo. Bye.". Watch This Space I guess.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I think Red Country might be his best? It's that or Best Served Cold for me, although I've not re-read RC yet.

Something about the way he inverts the entirety of the previous series really took me aback. None of the violence was cathartic or exciting, you were reading all the fight scenes in between your fingers instead of going "gently caress yeh stab the dude" because it was portrayed as having such a horrible and massive cost. You started to really dislike Lamb and hate Cosca. Interesting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Khizan posted:

I never started to dislike Lamb.
The scene with the dragon people was legit stomach-turning.

I get that he's likeable, but in the original trilogy his "bloody nine" moments were a fight-or-flight response to a situation he generally had zero control over, or where if he wasn't violent he'd be making things worse. Red Country (Again) turns that around by putting him on a quest where he repeatedly elects to solve the problems he faces in the most violent way he's able to.