Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Plucky Brit posted:

One thing I didn't pick up from the books. Why are the Magi so long-lived?

I believe the answer to this one is officially 'a wizard did it'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Casao posted:

But yeah, I'm thinking it's a throwaway plot point. There's been no word of another trilogy or anything, has there?

Not another trilogy but I know Abercrombie's on record (probably somewhere in his blog, I don't have time to dig for it right this second) that for the forseeable future everything he does write is intended to be set in the same world. So, while that's not a promise of another trilogy...

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Flatscan posted:

It might be familiar to you due to Lynch pulling a GRRM and being well overdue with the next book. Apparently he has a nasty habit of completely dropping off the grid to such an extent that his publishers can't contact him. Oh, and it's Scott Lynch, not Stephen.

He at least appears to have some sort of crippling depression issues, as opposed to just, you know, not writing. The net result is the same to the reader, but I find it easier to be sympathetic towards someone who's got actual problems as opposed to vague writer's block.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

After reading the recent posts in this thread, I sat down and tried to think: Is there a single named character who ends the trilogy happy? It's been a while since I've read it, but I honestly can't think of anyone.

I mean, Glokta is probably in the best state out of anyone, but he's certainly not happy.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Decius posted:

Regarding who is happy at the end of The First Law: Bayaz seems reasonably happy, since everything went his way and then some.

Well, besides that person.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Juaguocio posted:

Nope, sorry- as Ballsworthy noted earlier in this thread, Bayaz is Jeff Bridges from Iron Man:

Chris Lee is way, way too classy to be Bayaz.

I don't know about Jezal but I've always pictured Glotka as Tim Roth for some reason.

That is the most Bayazy man that has every Bayazed Bayaz, I think.

I should find where I put my copy of the blade itself, I could do with a reread, I think.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

O'Quinn is a good actor but he doesn't have the voice to play Bayaz. Even when he's playing a roid-raging spaz his voice has a nasal whine and I suspect there's nothing he can do about it.

So dub him with James Earl Jones, clearly the best solution for everyone. :colbert:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Look at all of you, with your regular hardcovers or even paperbacks - I just preordered my signed/numbered copy of Before They Are Hanged :smug:.

I hear those are covered in poison. You'd better have it shipped to me so I can make sure it's safe for you.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Bummey posted:

Have I forgotten this much about what happened in BSC? What did Bremer do to deserve this?

Oh, right, it's a Joe Abercrombie book. :doh:

Hey, guy's made an automatic balls-kicking machine. No point unless you use it to kick everyone and everything in the balls!

I guess the book's out now? I'll have to wait until payday to grab it... sigh. Oh well.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

One of the most "enduring, powerful, and popular" characters in The First Law? That seems much more Logen to me.

That's not the way Cosca tells it. :colbert:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Clinton1011 posted:

Isn't there an online store someone posted earlier in the thread that you can get the UK version from and have free shipping anywhere?

Edit: Found it bookdepository.com

Edit2 : Here is a link to the Red Country

http://www.bookdepository.com/Red-Country-Joe-Abercrombie/9780575095823

Thanks. Gonna get me some Red Country. :dance:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I guess there's more room for interpretation than I originally thought but so much of the point of Logen's story in LAoK was about how no, it was really him responsible for the poo poo he did that I feel like the possession angle undermines it entirely.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I like the idea of not being entirely sure, myself. I lean toward some kind of possession, but it doesn't really match the behavior of Malacus Quai after he got possessed (or is it that he was eaten and then the crazy demon lady wore his skin). Do we still need to spoiler the first trilogy? It's been out for years now.

Yeah I've seen enough arguments about it lately that I've softened on it such that I wouldn't rule it out as a potential factor entirely, but it's just not a surmise I can agree with in the end.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I'm not sure that's against moral labels-- since that's a thing we regularly do IRL-- so much as that it's against objectively correct moral labels. Calling Bayaz or anyone else evil is a certainly valid position, and easily supportable based on his actions. But I don't think it's possible to say that the story takes the position that he's evil. It doesn't really give an opinion either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Pick up Best Served Cold.