Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Ugh, finally have "Best Served Cold" in hand and I'm in the middle of one of Robin Hobb's trilogies. Guess I better finish this middle book then jump on "Cold" before I go crazy. But gently caress yes, amazing fantasy author, been talking about him for ages but nobody listened to me. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

Sort of. With Abercrombie, it tends to make a lot more sense, it's generally not just bad stuff happening for no good reason. It's for thematic reasons and it's usually as a result of the character's own actions. Of course, the end of Last Argument of Kings where Collem West gets magical radiation poisoning and will probably die was a bit harsh, but he's the exception.

Its an awesome fantasy concept though- that those around massive magical events can experience some repercussions. As much as I like the character, what happened made sense in the world context.

ALSO:

Look at this fat skinny, ugly handsome motherfucker right here:

Click here for the full 800x1067 image.

Geez, if you go on his website, he's pushing some internet poll to get votes for his books! (Everyone go vote for him! http://www.joeabercrombie.com/news/)

That Absolute fucker genius! His book is promised for next year and he hasn't even given us an update this week! FINISH THE BOOK, JOE! (You know, at your own pace.. You've already worked so hard lately, wouldn't want you to overdo it.)

I swear this guy is the Anti-GRRM..

TShields fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 18, 2010

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Kellanved posted:

I swear, this guy is the anti-gurrm.

Thats my line. :colbert:

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I don't see Glokta as evil, he was just a man who took great pride in his work, whatever his work was. He had a poo poo life, so he focused all his anger about his physical condition into his job, and it made him very effective. And I would have totally been his drinking buddy, just to make sure I didn't end up on the wrong side of the table.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Regardless of anything, its amazing that this guy- a relative newcomer to the fantasy scene- has come up with all he has in such a short period of time, and has done it well enough that all of us are interested in discussing it on the internet rather than use it for its true purpose: looking at people's naughty bits.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Yeah I'm about a quarter of the way through "Best Served Cold" and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Someone please refresh me- we saw Shivers fairly briefly in the other books, right? I'd look myself, but they're loaned out. He was the son of someone and wanted to kill Logen initially, but then ended up liking him? It took me a while to pick up on Vitari being Glokta's old lackey too, had totally forgotten she existed.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Ballsworthy posted:

^^whether he comes back or not (he will) I choose to believe Logen lives

He's Rattleneck's boy . . . no, the other one . . . work it out.

Shivers was the leader of the carls that left Bethod and went to fight with Threetrees, Logen killed Shivers' older brother when Shivers was still a boy, so there's some bad blood there, yeah. Also in case you missed it the banker on Monza's hit list is the same banker that bailed out Glokta in Dagoska.

Yeah, I caught the banker bit, thanks for the info.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Feel free to flame the hell out of me, but Johnny Depp as Cosca. He could just play his Jack Sparrow character with a different outfit and it would be absolutely perfect.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Diver Dick posted:

I'd encourage anyone on the fence to pick up The Blade Itself and give it a try. The opening scene hooked me and I read all three books in the course of a couple weeks.

Thats exactly how I got started- I read the first page of the book and had to know what happened next. I was lucky enough to stumble upon him after all three were out.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Anyone else see Friendly as an agitated Brian Posehn? If you've ever seen his stand-up, he does a weird squawky pissed off voice, and after Friendly's "Apologize to my loving dice!" flip-out, he's all I see for the character.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

loving talk, people, Abercrombie is too awesome for this thread to die!

I'm really having a hard time making predictions about the outcome of "Best Served Cold". Every time something happens, it seems to surprise the hell out of me. Someone (probably in the GRRM thread) complained that they gave up on it after 120 pages or so because it got repetitive, but I just don't see it. Yeah, they're killing off people on a list, but its incredibly different every fuckin' time, and since nothing ever goes according to plan, its incredibly entertaining. I never want this book to end!

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I just passed the part where Shivers smashed that poor kid's head into the ground over and over when Monza was going to let him live. Fuckin' harsh. Not sure if I like him anymore, Logen wouldn't have done that. :colbert:

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Its hard to get much more badass imagery than a shiny steel eye.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Tornhelm posted:

Having just finished Best Served Cold, was anyone else thrown for a bit of a loop by Schenkt?

I didn't realise he was an Eater until near the end of the book, where he killed a guy by tapping him with a knuckle. Even before then when he was carving up the human for food, I initially thought he just had a Hannibal Lecter thing going and it wasn't until the latter point that everything clicked for me). Him being a Lecteresque Eater though was cool, especially with him thinking of what would go well with the different parts of the body.

Theres a few times earlier where he kills a guy by poking him through the collar bone with his finger or other crazy poo poo like that. I'm about 80% through and I picked up on it fairly quickly.

When the other Eater[/spoils] says that her brother has been killed in the South, is that [spoiler]the pissy bitch from the last book going around killing eaters? Other books still loaned out..

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Finally finished last night and I loved every minute of it. I swear to God, if we don't find out what the deal is with the loving bank some day, I'm going to poo poo a brick.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

drat, you guys must have read these more recently than I did, or my memory is shot to poo poo at 25. I can't remember a lot of this stuff..

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Johnbo posted:

Gonna go ahead and disagree with that. Don't get me wrong, the trilogy was awesome and I thoroughly enjoyed it...BSC was such a let down though. JA seemed to follow the same structure for each section of the book (as pointed out earlier in the thread) and as the plot wore on you could pretty much guess who would be alive by the end of it. I'm really hoping his next one shakes things up a bit because BSC was really anti-climatic.

Now I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with that. I know what you're implying, but that was kinda dropped after the first two "jobs", beyond that it became kinda crazy, seemed like everyone was only surviving by the skin of their teeth. No way in hell I could have predicted who would survive that book by the middle. The way some people talk about it I feel like we read different books. I thought it was amazing, it in every way lived up to my expectations post-trilogy.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I really can't imagine reading BSC and skipping the trilogy.. That just doesn't make sense. Involved in a trilogy? Its three books, its not like you have decades of lore to catch up on. He writes so fast he practically wrote them over a weekend.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I have so many people I recommend this guy to and only one has taken me up on the offer to borrow my books. He flew through them in a couple weeks and is now as hooked as I am. I loaned them to another buddy and he sat on them for 8 months and just took them with him to Iraq. Heres hoping he doesn't neglect his duties to read...

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Weaponized Cum posted:

I finished the trilogy and I really enjoyed it. Could someone recommend similar authors or series?

If you haven't read George RR Martin's books, give them a shot, but be prepared to hate yourself when he never finishes the series. Also, I really got into Brent Weeks' "Night Angel" trilogy (Way of Shadows, Shadow's Edge, Beyond the Shadows).. Its a different feel, but its a complete trilogy and seems to have the same fantasy style.

Also, glad to see this thread woke up again. Was quiet for a while!

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Yeah she kinda got on my nerves, but she had her purposes. Really love this guy, its just a shame he's writing now instead of 10 years ago, because if he had a vast library of stuff for me to catch up on I wouldn't be bored out of my mind trying to find something new to read...

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Khatib posted:

Anyone have opinions on the Night Angel trilogy?

I got all 3 at a used book store, read through the first 4 chapters of the first book and put it down for about 6 months. I mentioned to a friend how boring I thought it was, and he told me to give it another shot, so I picked up from where I left off and absolutely loved it. The first book kinda takes a kid from his pre-pubescent period up to his late teens, and when he's young its really loving slow, but it does pick up. And they talk about boobs a lot, so theres that.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Markeh posted:

I just finished the first book. I enjoyed it but it had a lot more build-up than I was expecting. It's not really a stand-alone novel but given the praise heaped upon the trilogy I expect it will all tie together very well.

I particularly liked the Navigator and his overly dramatic reaction when Logen questioned his navigating skills.

Its really not supposed to be able to stand alone. He put them out so quickly though that it doesn't really matter. By the time most of the world realized his awesome, all the books were for sale.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

Oh man...BSC is crazy so far. I have to admit, I think I like it better than the trilogy.

But Cosca. :( For that matter, Shiver's EYE.

Can you guess what part I just read?

The part with Shiver's eye was just loving painful to read... Its rare that I actually cringe at words written on a page, but this was really rough. (Cringe at the thought of the action, not at poor writing.)

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I've been an Abercrombie fan since his first book hit shelves. It was on the "New Releases" table at Borders, and I read the first page and knew I had to keep going. Just finished "The Heroes" since our local store didn't get it in on release day. By the time they mailed me a copy, I was already invested in another book.

It was amazing, as usual. I don't think it lacked any of what his other books had. They're all fairly consistently good, so I wasn't disappointed in the least. I REALLY wish I hadn't gotten into him so early on, because now I have to wait a couple years for his next release. I kind of like getting into a series when it's already complete, that way I always know what I'm reading next and don't have to hunt for something new. Oh well.. Guess it could be worse (*cough*ABSOLUTEFUCKER*cough*)

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Slanderer posted:

Is it crazy that I personally hold onto the notion that Whirrun's sword was, in fact, quazi-magical, but was wrong about his death because Bayaz's assistant (name alludes me) interfered, and is all magical and whatnot. It was at least alluded to that he had been around the battle the whole time, so whose to say he wouldn't have acted to intervene in cracknut's death

I mean, it's clear that at the very least, the Maker's swords were simply more durable. But it's hard to figure whether Whirrun lasted as long as he did, shirtlessly swinging around an enormous sword (with some strange proficiency), without "help" from the Father of Swords. That, and the instance where the first cannon is fired, and Whirrun is at the center of it, unharmed.

That said, I completely missed the significance of the symbol on the blade that is briefly mentioned (as I haven't read the "first law" trilogy in a good while).

Yoru Sulfur is Bayaz's assistant. My "First Law" books are on loan to someone, but I was trying to remember if he was a cannibal. Weren't there cannibals? If so, when Bayaz was eating the nameless "meat" in front of Calder at the end.. :gonk:

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Joe hasn't written a weak book yet, in my opinion. Some are better than others, but you can't say any of them are bad. Just go in order.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Umiapik posted:

When I started reading this and saw just how many characters he was introducing, I nearly gave up there and then. I hate those overlong fantasy novels where you need a goddamn flow chart to keep up with who everyone is. But I persevered and ended up being very impressed by the skill with which Abercrombie handles the frequent changes of perspective in the novel. As the story unfolds, you can always understand what's going on and how the fighting is progressing; at the same time, you develop a interest in each character and what's happening in their own little part of the battlefield. Nice work.

His shifting viewpoints are one of the highlights of his books because he does them so loving well. I loved the battles in this book where it would frantically change from one side to the other and you'd see the same microcosm of action from different eyes every time.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

It does sting a bit when it's all over with. It's one of those things you wish will go on forever and ever and ever... Luckily, the man is a loving book writing machine, and he seems to be in love with his own universe, so you still have plenty to look forward to. Onward to "Best Served Cold" and "The Heroes"!

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Akrabbim posted:

Somehow or another I utterly missed the existence of Best Served Cold. I think I thought it was in the First Law trilogy and just outright skipped it. Just finished the Heroes yesterday. Since I have no desire whatsoever to read a book when I know what happens after it (strange quirk of mine, I know, but it bugs me), can somebody give me a basic plot summary of the book in spoiler? I know someone already put in the important bits, I'd just like a quick overview.

And was I the only one that thought that Gorst would end up with the Father of Swords, especially since he lost both of his other swords? Also, I have a feeling that he'd have been better off going north. I think yanking him from the formalized politics of the Union entirely would help in the long run. Maybe cause him to gain some balance.

Seriously- get over your loving quirk. It has almost no bearing on "The Heroes" other than you know Shivers is going to survive, you know something happens to Gorst (which takes place over the course of like 5 loving pages, big whoop), and Monza is mentioned once or twice in "The Heroes". It is meant as a stand-alone in the same world, just like "The Heroes". READ IT!

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

That's not what Bayaz is.

But, eh, you're not going to go back to it.

Hah, yeah, no kidding..

You missed some amazing stuff, there, reflir...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Abercrombie is just easy to read. It's not that he's "simple" or "basic", he just doesn't bog down his story with a bunch of unnecessary bits. And his world feels more "real" than a lot of them that I've read. The only problem I have with him is that he needed to be around 10 years ago so I'd have more material of his to read.. I've been in the Fantasy thread struggling to find something LIKE him to read, and I hope that book will show up on my doorstep today.