Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Suxpool posted:

Kahdia, Temple, Majud?

I wonder how Shy and Temple are doing these days. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Yeah, I'm excited to see what book 3 holds. Leo and Stour are in a tight spot right now, and we all know that Joe doesn't let the sun shine for too long on characters.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Terror Sweat posted:

How soon we forget morveer, the innocent chemist who never did anything to anyone

I really enjoyed his POV and just how unjust the world was to him.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Timothée Chalamet for Jezal.

Logan would be hard to cast. Antony Starr needs to put on some bulk and heels, and he'd be perfect. His ability to switch between charisma and always being on the precipice of violence as Homelander has made me a fan, and that duality is what Logan needs.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just finished it.

I felt it was by far the weakest of his First Law books but like pizza, even when it's bad it's good. For me, the best part of the book was the last chapter where Rikke had the vision. Bayaz bringing Juvens back from the dead? Sign me up.

Ccs posted:

That is a criticism I agree with. Keeping so much from the reader. Rikkes whole POV only works because her whole plan is hidden from the reader. That’s not normally how the povs work in these books, usually we know what the character knows. Not so here, I’m not sure if I agree with that decision as far as consistency goes, but Joe kind of wrote himself into a corner here. It was either leave the reader in the dark or dispense with all suspense.

Yeah, I saw that coming from a mile away and was definitely irked. Jim Butcher, author of The Dresden Files, has done that same poo poo in his recent books.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Speaking of setting people on fire, I really hope we get some more magic in the next book. I'd love something involving Kanedias and The House of The Maker, seems like such a cool story to explore.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Darkrenown posted:

I haven't really enjoyed any of the latest trilogy as much as the first one or the standalones. I just don't really like any of the new characters.

I wonder if Glustrod is going to return and then get absolutely clowned on by cannons? I AM RETURNED *boom - headshot*

Yeah, I think that is the root of my issues with the latest book for sure. Outside of Clover and Orso, I just didn't care about any of the characters. I wouldn't have cared if Yoru and Bayaz swung through and cleared house.

In regards to the epilogue, I am really excited about magic and magical figures taking center stage again. Also, maybe Ferro will come thru to visit Savine's eater bodyguards? .

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 23, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Terror Sweat posted:

Lol bayaz is happy as a clam working away. He's as jovial as he was to logen when logen first showed up. Near the third book he was in much worse shape, he was betting it all on a Hail Mary play that only barely succeeded. He's spent hundreds of years without checking on the union, this poo poo is probably only a blip to him.

Yeah, my money is on Bayaz and Magic(TM) loving poo poo up next round.

Also, to our knowledge, is Ferro still out there running around? Seems like she could be a good foil for Zuri and her brothers.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Castor Morveer was the best POV in Best Served Cold.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I don't think Shivers' betrayal of Black Dow would have played as well if it had been stretched out and overly hinted at.

The two biggest twists that actually caught me off guard are Shivers caving in the back of Dow's head, and The Bloody-Nine stabbing Thunderhead in the neck. I had to go back and reread the parts to make sure I understood what happened.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have a feeling (and I hope) that Bayaz will be wrecking fools next round.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

No Dignity posted:

The flashforward at the end is a naked sequel hook, there's absolutely going to be another series in the works

If I'm being honest, that bit at the end was probably my favorite chunk of the book. Bayaz's plans going to poo poo has him pissed off, and now he's in the lab tinkering with poo poo he shouldn't touch.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Morveer is the highlight of BSC.

:hai:

A tragic character if there ever was one!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

quote:

“In a magic-riddled Europe under constant threat of elf invasion, the 10-year-old Pope occasionally needs services that cannot be performed by the righteous. And so, sealed deep beneath the catacombs, cathedrals and relic stalls of the Sacred City lies the secret Chapel of the Holy Expediency. For its highly disposable congregation – including a self-serving magician, a self-satisfied vampire, an oversexed werewolf, and a knight cursed with immortality – there is no mission that cannot be turned into a calamitous bloodbath.”

I want to go to there

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I love me some BSC. Morveer is the coolest.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Ccs posted:

He’s gotten better at writing female characters and probably better at pacing but lost a bit of the magic of the setting. Possibly because he was growing bored with the world.

Which is a shame I think because there seemed to be so many cool stories to tell if he leaned towards magic instead of realism. I'd love to learn more about The Master Maker instead of a revolution.

My favorite part of his last book is the epilogue where it hints at some magical poo poo that is about to go down.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Ccs posted:

Sounds like he had some tv stuff in progress…

What I would give to have HBO take on the First Law Trilogy.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Hell yes!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Casting this will be fun!

Rebecca Ferguson is amazing. No clue of potential actors for Shivers and Cosca. I could see some trying to get Jason Momoa for Shivers but please no.

After seeing him play Fuches, Stephen Root would make for a fun Cosca but he is a bit too old for that role now.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I enjoyed the first two books of the trilogy but thought the third fell flat.

I thought the best part of The Wisdom of Crowds was the epilogue where Rikki has her vision of things to come. We catch a glimpse of Bayaz, back in the lab, building his revenge. I hope we get to see the results of that in a new series.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
This may be old news but it looks like we're getting new short stories in a few days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Ainsley McTree posted:

He’s a great character yeah. It’s been mentioned a bunch of times before but Abercrombie does a very effective job of showing “oh THIS is why he has a reputation” when the time comes. And the short story in sharp ends drives it home a little more

That short-story was great.

Say one thing for Hughmoris, he can read about The Bloody Nine all day.