Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Rhgr posted:

Imagine George Martin, but a George Martin who isn't a total oval office. That's Joe Abercrombie.

Well hes a right oval office to his characters :colbert:

Just finished the First Law trilogy and holy crap, if you think Martin is too much of a dick to his characters you aint seen nothing yet.

Smashurbanipal posted:

From his own descriptions of "Heroes", that's pretty much Abercrombie's point: everyone is kinda reprehensible and there is absolutely no "good" faction or person. It's all shades of vicious, vindictive, vain and other wise unappealing traits that are written so successfully that you can't help but empathize with the characters.

Glokta is the perfect example of this

Yeah but I cant really say I empathized with Glokta much, he really is a horrible horrible person. More like I pitied him sometimes.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Ballsworthy posted:

edit: Shivers is probably my favorite, though.

I hope he's better than in Last Argument of Kings, because he was a total bitch.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

Regarding The Heroes, Abercrombie's let slip some interesting information on the characters and setting, which I only saw today.

In the comments thread of his progress report for March, he has this to say on the number of returning characters:

The central cast that he mentions are definitely going to be main characters subjected to the close third person stuff.

And as to setting:

What? Another novel set in the north and no mention of Ninefingers? Outrageous! :argh:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Bummey posted:

I don't know, I'm not entirely sure I'd like to see Logen again. I like him, but I think his story ended well enough that bringing him in again might ruin it.

Logen was by far my favorite character in the whole trilogy so I would definitely like to see him again.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Evfedu posted:

Bloody Nine vs Fenris, best fight scene in anything ever?
Personally, I prefer Logen's fight with the Practicals in The Blade Itself. Maybe its because that was the first time you see him truly go berserk and find out why everyone in the north shits their pants at the mention of his name.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Torsade de Pointes posted:

I didn't think he was a bad guy in the books. He sounded like a real bastard when he was younger, but it's not entirely his fault later on. He just goes into uncontrollable psychotic rages at random. He's mentally ill instead of an evil dude.

Same thing with West. They've both managed to make good men out of themselves, but once in a while they lose control and do things they end up regretting.

Glokta on the other hand is an evil man (willing to torture and condemn to death innocent people just to keep his job) who ends up doing good sometimes when it suits him. Much like Bayaz.

Its the ultimate kick in the balls that the first two men who are good, yet flawed get hosed over, while the two evil men who do good sometimes end up successful.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Tornhelm posted:

See, I always figured that it was more likely that West was a variant on the classic Berzerker with Logen leaning more towards Multiple Personality Disorder, so while the Bloody-Nine was pretty much a psychopath, it wouldn't matter as much against West, it would pretty much end up just being a contest to whose alter-ego faded first.

Not really, "furious" West is just West without his usual inhibitions, and he is at best just a very good fencer. The Bloody Nine is an unstoppable killing machine. Draw your own conclusions.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Ballsworthy posted:

Possession probably wouldn't be the word I would choose, but yeah it seems possible that the transformation into the B9 is tied to his supernatural side. At the same time though he gains no supernatural ability (preternatural, sure, but not super) and spends the whole series lying to himself about what kind of person he is and his own history, even when it seems like he's being brutally honest he's still spinning or obfuscating somewhat based on Bethod's revelation at the end. Logen has a lot of dark work in his past without even adding any battle madness. Given that it also seems possible that the B9 is the real Logen and everything else in the series is him making a conscious effort.

Not really. All the poo poo Bethod says simply describes an ambitious young man who knows he can beat anyone else in single combat. Its fairly easy to see how a rash young man could see unifying all the disparate warring northern clans into a single nation as a noble purpose. By that token offering to duel would save many lives as opposed to just a massive battle where many more lives would be lost. The only truly "evil" thing he did was ordering that town sacked, and he seems to genuinely feel terrible about that and doesn't deny it. Him killing Shivers' brother was probably the B9.

Although I also kind of like the idea that B9 is not a separate entity, but the "real" Logen before he decides to try and become a good man. However, his first childhood episode where he kills his friend and doesn't remember why seems to indicate that the B9 was always a result of possession/split personality/some other mental illness.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Ballsworthy posted:

^^ I'd forgotten about that "I'm free of you" line, that's pretty big, but I still think it could go either way.

You're whitewashing Logen, there's nothing in the text to indicate he was fighting for peace and the Bethod/Logen confrontation makes it very clear he was fighting for pride and bloodlust. "That's not how it was," whispered Logen. But he knew that it had been. He didn't kill Rattleneck's son in battle, he murdered a prisoner and nailed his head to Bethod's standard.

I never said he was fighting for peace. Read my post again. Also, we dont know the exact circumstances of the killing of Rattleneck's son.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I agree with most of that but this one little quibble. Sure, some are all angsty, but others are like, "gently caress yeah! I eat human flesh and therefore have superpowers!"

There's one thing about the Eaters, though. If cannibalism gives you super-powers/magical abilities and the people in this world are a bunch of assholes, then what's stopping the whole planet from devolving into a cannibalistic nightmare? Either there's some special, Khalul's-boyz-only process that gives you super-mega-eater abilities or Bayaz isn't quite as outright evil as he seems. At least he isn't using Eaters en masse.

I was under the impression that cannibalism is something that can enhance your already existing magical powers, not something that would just give you superpowers out of nowhere.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

Oh man...Almost done with book 1, and though I've really liked the whole thing, he really picks up the pace in the last 150 pages, basically from when they go into the House of the Maker.

So loving good...I don't want to finish it because I can't get the next one till this weekend. :(

If you're more than ~50 pages from the end the best is yet to come :)

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Just got Best Served Cold in the mail, the one with the nice cover too! Will report back shortly.....

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Just finished Best Served Cold and was impressed by the sheer amount of backstabbing.

One thing I'm not certain of though: Whats the deal with Shenkt? Clearly he's an eater like Sulfur and refers to having the same masters once upon a time, so is he an ex-apprentice of Bayaz or what?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

Welp, just finished the trilogy and moving onto BSC, but goddamn, wanted to vent a little:

As much as I loved Logen, there was a part of me that understood...I mean, the part where he killed Thunderhead kicked my rear end, and even though we love Logen's character, you can understand where Dow's coming from.

You gotta realize though, that when Logen goes berserk, he's not in control of himself and people like Tul Duru who have been around him for years should have known better than to approach him in that state in the middle of battle. Black Dow on the other hand, is fully in control of his own actions, and still constantly kills in cold blood. So, objectively, Black Dow is considerably worse than Logen and his words at the end were just him trying to justify betraying of his chief

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Kellanved posted:

On the other hand, would you want a ruler who goes berserk at the drop of a hat and starts killing people around him?. Eh, arguing who is worse in this series isn't a very good way to spend our time. Most characters are plain bad on some standard.

But it's not at the drop of a hat. Only during battle, so really it's not that bad. Everyone just needs to learn to stay the hell away from him once he starts laughing like a maniac while smashing people's skulls.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

Yeah, what the hell should I read after Best Served Cold? :(

I've read these, the Malazans, ASoIaF, Locke Lamora, and WoT lately. Need something new to dive into!

The Prince of Nothing series by R. Scott Bakker.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

The first image of the rough UK cover for The Heroes has been released. Still scheduled for release on the 11th of January.

I wonder just how terrible the US cover will be?

I order my books from bookdepository, so I always get the nice UK covers anyways.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

Apparently it's going to have way more returning characters than BSC did.

Black Dow, Shivers, Dogman, Kroy, more that I'm not thinking of...Plenty from the first trilogy. He basically said that the entire book takes place over four days in the north, one dicisive, ongoing battle that has tons of union and northmen.

Wait, who's Kroy?

Anyways I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Logen to show up.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Yadoppsi posted:

One of the rival generals under Lord Marshal Burr. In LAoK he is promoted to Lord Marshal after both Burr and West die.

Oh yeah, he was the really uptight infantry general right? Poulder or something was the other cavalry commander.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
From Joe's blog:

"Secondly, Calder has a tough, strong, honest, loyal older brother with a pea for a brain before him in line."

I don't know if Honest and Loyal are good words to describe Scale given what we saw in The First Law books.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

savinhill posted:

I can't remember who these characters are.

Bethod's two sons.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Casao posted:

I picked up The Blade Itself because Amazon recommended it to me and it was pretty good. Just starting the second now. Good stuff, hopefully it and its re-reads will tide me over till we get more Locke Lamora or Black Company.

After the last Black Company book, I don't think I want to read any more. Just saying.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

keiran_helcyan posted:

Yeah off the top of my head regarding Bayaz Khalul's number two asked him why he killed Juvens, and he responds along the lines of "Juvens thought he could change the world with good intentions...but I say I didn't kill him!" So in my opinion he flat out murdered his old master to motivate all his fellow apprentices to follow his lead. Then murdered Kanedias' daughter to further motivate the apprentices to kill Kanedias, leaving him as the most powerful mage in the world. He's really just a power hungry rear end in a top hat, not cackling psychotic evil, but perfectly willing to kill anyone between him and absolute power

One thing that struck me in the story was that Euz had 4 sons. The one went crazy in the old capital and was killed, Juvens and Kanedias are dead, but we've never really heard what befell the third son Bedesh. I think he was even briefly mentioned as being given mastery of a third school of magic by Euz. I imagine he'll pop up later, unless I'm forgetting him getting killed off.

edit: found the section I was thinking of!

Quai shrugged his bony shoulders and began to speak. “Almighty Euz, vanquisher of deomns, closer to gates, father of the World, had four sons, and to each he gave a gift. To his eldest, Juvens, he gave the talent of High Art, the skill to change the world with magic, tempered by knowledge. To his second son, Kanedias, went the gift of making, of shaping stone and metal to his own purposes. To his third son, Bedesh, Euz gave the skill of speaking with spirits and of making them do his bidding.” Quai gave a wide yawn, smacked his lips and blinked at the fire. “So were born the three pure disciplines of magic.”

“I thought he had four sons,” grumbled Luthar.

Quai’s eyes slid sideways. “So he did, and therein lies the root of the Empire’s destruction. Glustrod was the youngest son. To him should have gone the gift of communing with the Other Side.

Wasn't Badesh killed by Glustrod in the first war?

I could be remembering wrong though.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Mmmmm.

I haven't actually read 'Best Served Cold' yet, but I think I'm going to read this first anyway.

I know it says not for sale, but seriously, how much do you want? (after you're done)

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Evfedu posted:

Logen had a fantastic arc that pretty much encompassed everything you needed to know about him except: "Who is his dad" and maybe a clearer explanation of his berserking.

That and the way the ending mirrored how we met him, I mean, that's pretty much a goodbye, with a very Abercrombian shrug of "sometimes you live through a big fall. More often you don't."

You have to be realistic

I kid, I kid, I'd love to see more of Logen.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

savinhill posted:

On Abercrombie's dust jackets, his bio says that he edits video for Iron Maiden and other bands. I'd love it if Maiden would do a song about his series like they did for Dune.

"Bloody Nine" Would be the most metal song ever. :black101:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Axeface posted:

Also, if that untagged spoiler about Shivers on the first page of the thread is true, I'm gonna be really full of impotent rage at the internet in about a day or two.

It has a grain of truth, but is not actually true. Thats probably why it wasn't deleted.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Melche posted:

headbutt someone to death or something. That dude was just awesomely nuts.

Thats actually more along the Bloody Nine's style of doing things.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think David Gemmell is a good author to try out if you liked Abercrombie. It's not nearly as dark, but his overall tone tends to be set nearly the same. He has his downfalls (mostly him being dead now :smith: ) but all in all I really enjoyed his writing. There isn't a book he wrote that isn't on my shelf.

Read his books you mooks.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3369312

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Joe posted a brief preview of the next book on his blog:

quote:

“Shy South comes home to her farm to find a blackened shell, her brother and sister stolen, and knows she’ll have to go back to bad old ways if she’s ever to see them again. She sets off in pursuit with only her cowardly old step-father Lamb for company. But it turns out he’s hiding a bloody past of his own. None bloodier. Their journey will take them across the lawless plains, to a frontier town gripped by gold fever, through feuds, duels, and massacres, high into unmapped mountains to a reckoning with ancient enemies, and force them into alliance with Nicomo Cosca, infamous soldier of fortune, a man no one should ever have to trust…”

Cosca is back! And who could have had a bloodier past than Logen? CANNOT loving WAIT!

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
It cant be Shenkt, it says he has a bloody past, and Shenkt cant exactly put his bloody days behind him, being addicted to eating people and loving with Bayaz and Khalul and all.

Also: Lamb, None-Bloodier......Logen, Bloody-Nine. Come on!

Its Logen, I want to believe!

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 5, 2012

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Erm...... you might want to stay away from this thread until you're done, its gotten a bit spoileriffic around here. (I'm probably one of the worst offenders)

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Has there been any indication that this new book might introduce rudimentary guns or will the dueling be of the sword variety? A book by Abercrombie finishing with a Mexican stand off would rule (prediction: everyone would probably find a way to get killed).

Well The Heroes did have Bayaz's minions testing a rudimentary canon so I guess it would depend how late the new book is taking place in the timeline of the other books.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What about Shivers? Does he have any reason not to go globetrotting after The Heroes? I'm not saying it's likely after his Styrian adventure, but it may be a possibility.

Fakedit: What if it's Sergeant Pike from Before they are Hanged/Last Argument of Kings?

Nah, Shivers is pretty firmly entrenched in being an uncaring murder machine. Pike is a possibility, but the whole Bloody-Nine/None-Bloodier thing seems like way too blatant of a hint. Unless Joe is deliberately trolling us, which I wouldnt put past him I guess...

Edit: Maybe its Bremer dan Gorst after retirement?

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 14, 2012

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
From the publisher's blurb on the Amazon page for the new book:

"The First Law trilogy was Joe's take on the great epic fantasy tales. Then, in Best Served Cold, he took on a fantasy version of a classic revenge story, and we have a superb tale of war waged in the frozen north still to come. With this, his next novel, Joe Abercrombie is once again venturing in a new direction, and on a new adventure, with one of the most enduring, powerful and popular characters of the First Law trilogy. It's going to be their biggest challenge yet."

If its not Logen I'm going to be seriously pissed off.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Characters don't sit around by the corpse and describe it but its acknowledged hes dead. The only character who makes sense given the wording Joe chose is Logen but he could be using it intentionally so who knows. I really hope it isn't Shivers again or something, if hes going to revisit any character then it might as well be Ferro or Logen. Their arcs were basically finished in most respects but I'll read anything new involving them because they were so well done.

Hang on a second, Ferro..... Lamb is the step-father of the missing kids but we don't know who the mother is yet!

Edit: Oh yeah, and Shivers doesnt make sense since he seems unlikely to ever leave his life of violence behind him after his transformation in BSC.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Have you read Glen Cook's Black Company series? If not, read Glen Cook's Black Company series.

Be sure to stop reading after book 3 though, its all downhill from there.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

syphon posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora was fantastic, except that he apparently wrote 2 books and then went crazy (so book 3 has been pending for 5 years now). That shouldn't stop you from reading the first book, since it's a fantastic book, even as a standalone.

Clinical depression is nothing to scoff at.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I think Duck and burger might be mistaking assholes for violent bad-asses. Granted, its a common mistake to make for someone thats used to reading fantasy by authors other than Abercrombie where the characters the author tries to portray as violent bad-asses often just come off as assholes. With Abercrombie though, the duality is quite intentional and is explored further in the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I loving love you! And I love Joe, and Logen and the whole drat world!

Made my whole loving day.