Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm reading The Heroes right now and I am wondering if Shivers will become a POV character in this book any? Or is only seen through the eyes of others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Gunslinger posted:

Only through others, he's a POV character in Best Served Cold though.

Yeah I've finished that one beforehand. I would like to see where Shivers go from there on.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well I felt like leaving him a shell of a person like that felt unfinished to me, but I guess it's Joe Abercrombie we're talking about after all.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well I've plowed my way through some more books and I have to say I really liked Red Country. Maybe it was just me but I felt it ended on a slightly more upbeat note than the others. I also like western themes.

During the book I was sort of waiting for the eventual downer of an ending I had expected. I was happy that Logen got a sort of happy ending at least. Still a bit sad that he couldn't give up the sword and stay with his "family", and the fact that Row wished him dead was a downer. I'm just a big softie for the bloodiest murderer in the circle of the world I guess.

Also I wonder if that dragon will ever make a comeback. I really find everything about the Maker much more interesting than the magi.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mr.48 posted:

Angland and the Northlands are on a different landmass than the Old Empire so that can't be right.

Reading the books I got the definite impression they where on the same continent, the divider was a river IIRC:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Fire Safety Doug posted:

My mental image of Logen is a lot meaner and uglier-looking. That one is too Generic Fantasy Hero.

I can't stop seeing him as really muscular and younger cohen the barbarian myself.

Edit: looking at the last pictures in this thread I am probably imagining the characters as generally smaller, older, more gnarly and bent than most people tend to. From the pictures posted they all seem younger, more muscular and prettier than what I imagine.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 6, 2013

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh Snapple! posted:

General Kroy has also become a pretty "good" person by the time of The Heroes. But I have an inflated opinion of anyone who calls Bayaz on his poo poo and decides they wants no part of it.

Ah yes Kroy, that was to me a case of a character starting out as an unlikeable oval office but then turning out somewhat alright in the end.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I subscribe to the idea that the bloody nine is something that takes control of Logen, but what you just describe is also why I feel that doesn't make him without any blame or cheapens his story. Logen seems to enjoy the kind of life that's filled with violence and gets himself into situations where the bloody nine will emerge. So he does bear some responsibility for what the bloody nine does.

In Red Country he had successfully blocked it out of his life for a long time, but to get his family back he had to become that person again and he finds that he still likes it, until the bloody nine emerges and he starts killing his friends, that part's not so great, but it's just so nice to not have to sit and take poo poo from no nothing farmers and bullies and have respect, do what he's good at and so forth, gotta be realistic about these things...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

savinhill posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. One thing that I think pointed to the Bloody Nine being possession in Red Country was when Logen was fighting the Dragon People on that bridge and he was about to start attacking Shy and his stepkids too, until others interfered. Say what you want about how much of a violent prick he is, but I don't think Logen would want to kill children he loved and raised.

Yeah then he broke down and started to cry when he snapped out of it, that's one of the strongest implications to me in favor of this interpretation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah it's funny how it's right under your nose how bad Logen is. They separate him from his group, and make it clear that Black Dow is pretty much a psychopath, while in parallel, you're introduced to our plucky barbarian hero who has a string of bad luck. Yet, at least on the first read-through, you never think to question why Black Dow is subservient to Logen in the first place.

Well Black Dow was also subservient to Threetrees and he wasn't a psychopath. But maybe we'll find out Threetrees eats babies in some future flashback story.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

So yes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Neurosis posted:

well. he ended up a general and he was at least alive at the end of red country. god knows what having his wife whisked away to be a concubine to an immortal giant did to him.

Wait, immortal? What did I miss?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

One thing I've been wondering about is, if magic is running out of the world... What's gonna happen with all the magic people, the super powered cannibals and long lived mages that rule it from behind the scenes, they are immortal thanks to magic, but when it's gone... will they die, at once, or just keep growing old and then die? I guess Bayaz might be an exception now since he's got that orb that is the only thing that can supply new magic into the world. He did look younger from channeling the magic it was said.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Xenix posted:

Except he's supposed to be in his late 20s or early 30s, iirc

I must've missed that part. Always thought he was in his 40s in the first triology.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

In my mind I have never seen Grim Hardings face, because he always has a hood when I imagine him.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I always figured the change was due to age and mental decrepitude brought on by a long life of heavy drinking and maybe syphilis.

Like, maybe he actually was a slightly better person between BSC and Red Country. No textual support because I've lost my copies so... eh.

Like somebody else said, I saw him as the same person as in the other novels, same old Cosca, just on the other side this time. And then it wasn't so charming anymore.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well gray hairs can start pretty early. Assuming 20 by the end of the first book, there is supposed to be 28 years between it and the new book according to what I've read. So depending on how old he plausibly was then... He could be pushing 50, in his mid 50s or nearing 60. 20 might be too young but it's been a while since I read the books.

I guess Logen is pretty near death or been dead a while already by the time of this book, I imagined him to be in his late 30s or 40s in the first trilogy.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 12, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I really imagined Logen as far older and uglier than most people it seems. Huge, ugly, grey hair, beard, and going bald. That was how I saw him in the original trilogy. But I guess I was pretty wrong on that front.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not through this book yet, only just started, but so far I just wanna say, Leo is such a dumb motherfucker who acts like a sullen child more often than not.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I really thought they where gonna cut something else off Stour, still drat that made me wince, guess that's him crippled for life now too. And drat Rikke that's cold, but honestly I can't say I feel much sympathy for Leo or Savine. Pike came out of nowhere for me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

He's got the seed and knows how to use it, he's got the only thing which can let in more magic back in the world, so I don't think he'll drop dead from lack of magic.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Suxpool posted:

none of the northmen except perhaps like calder should ever be played by beautiful model-like men. they are poorly-groomed BRUTES raised to a life of EXTREME VIOLENCE. save your masturbatory fantasies for jezal or flashback glokta.

True, I imagine them as ugly greasy bastards with long stringy hair. Not a single one is pleasant to look at in my head except maybe Shivers before his... ordeal.. Hell I even imagined when first reading the original trilogy that Logen was bald, like some kind of large, muscular and scarred Gollum with a beard.

I also imagined the original bunch of Logens follower all as 20 years older than they where with a lot of grey, except shivers, so I had to revise that downwards after reading further books and seeing they couldn't be that old yet.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 24, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I do remember that too, and he makes a woman run away in fear by smiling at her in the beginning. Ferro thinks of him as "the big pink" at first. And then there's how he's characterized in Red Country.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I mostly assume that people in stories like these are a lot shorter on average than today as well. So Logen could be nearly freakishly large at say 6'2".

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ccs posted:

That is a criticism I agree with. Keeping so much from the reader. Rikkes whole POV only works because her whole plan is hidden from the reader. That’s not normally how the povs work in these books, usually we know what the character knows. Not so here, I’m not sure if I agree with that decision as far as consistency goes, but Joe kind of wrote himself into a corner here. It was either leave the reader in the dark or dispense with all suspense.

Then again that was really bloody obvious from the start, at least to me. I almost sorta hoped it was a double fake out or something. Overall I think this was my least favorite trilogy so far, I don't really see myself wanting to reread it again like I did with the others.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tofu Injection posted:

Bayaz wouldn't be doing that, given that he murdered Juvens and all. unless its an accident, but my guess is accidental or otherwise that was Glustrod

If there's one guy I want back it's Kanedias. But that makes no more sense than Juvens. So likely Glustrod. But maybe Glustrod is not so bad as he was made out. I mean he did get poo poo on by his brothers and father and history is written by the winners, who are enormous C-words to a man.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The problem with the union is the more modern it becomes the less interesting it also becomes. Perhaps not really a spoiler that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

You know I wonder how Gorst would've fared in the circle against Stauer Nightfall. My guess it would've been a short and brutal fight in Gorsts favor, only persons I think a match for him is already dead or out of the series. Even in his old age.

Not spoilering this because it's a completely made up thing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hoping Orso pulled a Moist Von Lipwig?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I figured Bayaz had that eternal life stuff locked down since he got the seed he was able to rejuvenate himself once.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I just wanna see Ferro, since she got all spirit powered at the end of the original trilogy I bet she's immortal to boot and possibly the most powerful character in the series aside from people like Glustrod. She eats eaters for breakfast and 99% likely to be the one who killed the prophet.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Randallteal posted:

Yeah I'll definitely keep going. I'm just going to take a break.

Morveer and Cosca were great. And I'm always down to see Jezal get casually humiliated. :shobon: My boy's meeting new people.

How I imagine Jezal in my mind

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

BananaNutkins posted:

I like the Abercrombie books less the more he moves away from the sword and sorcery genre. I liked the stand-alones, but this trilogy had very little magic. There has been less and less magic in each successive book, which I know is consistent with the setting.

I realize that's a bit of a silly reason to enjoy a book less, as I enjoy plenty of low fantasy and historic fiction books. I was annoyed by the lack of development concerning Bayaz and all the other magical stuff behind the scenes to do with the Maker and the Eaters, which seems it would be really interesting.

There are other things too, like the characters being less developed. Too many storylines split the focus.

Yeah I would have rather seen more of that than this revolution stuff. It just wasn't very good and while I've read all the other books multiple times I don't think I will re-read this trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I was personally really disappointed in the last trilogy. To the point it lessened my interest in future stories. Though I'll likely still read them. But I doubt I will re-read it.