Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought Shivers was meant to be pretty good looking prior to getting his face hosed up? He's still pretty young and earnest then, didn't yet have the marks of a veteran fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Stour Nightfall is clearly meant to be handsome in a byronic badboy kind of way as well

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it would be interesting to see DeVito play Bayaz without really yucking it up, see him play the UNLIMITED POWER scene at the end of Last Argument of Kings without turning into Frank Reynolds

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Question about the Trilogy: how nihilistic and grimdark does it get? I'm about 100 pages into the First Law, and have liked it so far, but I hear people repeatedly say the series gets incredibly depressing, which I'm not necessarily looking for right now. For context, I can deal with something like Malazan fine, so it's not that I can't deal with anything dark, but certain things (graphic descriptions of sexual assault, for example) would be too much for me. I'm also not looking for some Bakker-esque "Nothing matters, life is misery, oblivion is a blessing" type thing in particular.

Off the top of my head I don't think Abercrombie goes to the sexual assault well once. It's depressing in that characters make poor choices that end poorly for them and sometimes get hosed by events completely outside their control but it's not Bakker style overwrought nihilism either, very very occasionally someone even makes a positive life choice and becomes a better person from it as a result! If you like it so far I'd say stick with it, Abercrombie is one of the best writers working in the genre today imo

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 5, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If I got spoiled on the villain for the First Law Trilogy, how hosed am I? A friend accidentally let it slip and realized that was a big spoiler.

Spoilers are mostly fake idea, if you want to read the books go ahead and read them. The increasingly obvious bad guy being the bad guy isn't really a big deal

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Orso getting owned by circumstances beyond his control in increasingly grander ways was really funny though, definitely one of the strongest recurring themes of the trilogy

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 2, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That bit where the narrator directly started laying into the Burners for being obsessed with ideological purity over sensible policy decisions did feel a bit middle aged centrist dad on twitter

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Crespolini posted:

How should the revolution have worked out?

The most interesting outcome would have been Judge and Risinau overcoming their shitiness and building something new, it doesn't even have to stick around and the novel could have still ended with the Leo counter-revolution and all that but it didn't have to lead up with such a rote, boilterplate depiction of a revolution eating its own

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bayaz going all Palpatine with SEVEN SEALS AND SEVEN SEALS REVERSED at the end of Last Argument of Kings was pretty sick too

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Warden posted:

I've been wondering how many people criticizing how the revolution is depicted in the Wisdom of Crowds are not from a country which had an actual revolution that turned to poo poo at some point in their history.

I mean I'm gonna guess most of the people ITT are American...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wonder if there are monarchists who chafe at the books’ depiction of aristocracy

I'd doubt it because the rightful king is the most sympathetically portrayed character in the trilogy

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The flashforward at the end is a naked sequel hook, there's absolutely going to be another series in the works

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I recall him doing the fakeout sex scene he did with Monza and Shivers again but more chaste?

Anyway the thing that really made it YA was the happy ending imo, they shoved that genie all the way back in the bottle at end after what really should have started a new age of warfare with the weapons of the past

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

zerofiend posted:

I'm reminded of how Terry Pratchett said something about the only thing that made his YA books YA was the age of the protagonists and language being a bit more straightforward but otherwise changing little about the content.

Well, he took out the jokes too

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

If I'm being honest, that bit at the end was probably my favorite chunk of the book. Bayaz's plans going to poo poo has him pissed off, and now he's in the lab tinkering with poo poo he shouldn't touch.

There was a distinct lack of sauce in the last trilogy imo, give me that high fantasy intruding on the early modern world again

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Also original trilogy spoilers Is there more of main character killing they're friends through the series? It surprised me and was narratively disturbing when Logan killed his friends and Bayaz killed/sealed away Yulwei, which like, good writing, I liked those characters, that really sticks in the mind, but if it's something that happens regularly throughout the series it's not shocking, just boringly grim.

Occasionally, but not so often that it comes predictable or cliche

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The whole king of poisons scam is the funniest scene in the entire series imo, Morveer is an all time great

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tosk posted:

I am very dangerously posting in this thread just to say I'm about 3/4ths through The Blade Itself and quite liking it! I know absolutely nothing about anything Joe Abercrombie has written. Do I need to know anything going forward?

Otherwise, see you guys in like three books at least

A man lost in the desert must take accept water no matter its source

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

Just read them, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it

Say one thing for Joe Abercrombie, he could coin a good aphorism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

People go to see sumo fights where there's 15 minutes of ceremony and build up and then like four seconds of action, the dueling contest really isn't that egregious