Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

Bummey posted:

He should also learn some other words than squawk and croak because god drat, people croak and squawk all the time.

sour spit

Drove me nuts once I started to notice it.

And I'm like 90% of the way through BSC right now, really looking forward to the climax/wrap-up of it all.

I do like the role reversals between Shivers spiraling out of control when he started out "the likable good guy", and the more you find out about Monza, you realize her reputation was undeserved and her brother who she cherishes is really to blame for it all, yet she blames herself. Kind of a cliched tortured character, but still interesting in the way he develops the unveiling of it.

Khatib fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

Yeah, what the hell should I read after Best Served Cold? :(

I've read these, the Malazans, ASoIaF, Locke Lamora, and WoT lately. Need something new to dive into!

I recommended this in the Ice and Fire thread a while back, and a few people said they thought the writer sucked, although no one chimed in on these particular books, and no one else piped up saying it was good either, so I backed off, thinking maybe I was wrong... but then I lent it to a RL friend last month, and he burned through the whole thing super fast and told me he thought it was incredible and the best series he'd read in a long while. He also likes Ice and Fire, and Joe Abercrombie, so I'm gonna throw it out there again:

Bernard Cornwell's King Arthur series. It's 3 books long, and it's finished. There's closure at the end. It's not an in-progress series or anything. I felt it started a little on the slower side, but I got into it for sure by the halfway point of the first book, and I was really, really, really hooked on it halfway through the second book. I actually mistakenly thought I was on the 3rd book already while halfway through book 2, and that I had misunderstood it to be a trilogy, and started to get really disappointed that I was going to have to wait a half a week to get a book 4 delivered from Amazon, because I wanted to turn pages on it that bad.

Cornwell writes historical fiction. I'd read his Stonehenge before, but really wouldn't recommend that blindly, although it was OK. I haven't read anything else of his. But this series is GOOD. It's the Arthur legends told as if they actually happened like around 500 AD, told from the viewpoint of a man who becomes a soldier in Arthur's army and a close personal friend of his. It's very... politically driven, as the story of any young "warlord" trying to unite a tribal-esque England would have to be, so it's got a bit of that Ice and Fire feel to it. Definitely not a fantasy book, as it's weighed heavily in realism, but superstitions and Druids (Merlin) play into how things unfold, so it kinda plays like low fantasy.

Worth checking out, absolutely, imo.

I have Prince of Nothing sitting on my bookshelves, but not sure I'm going to start it right away. Anyone have opinions on the Night Angel trilogy?

Khatib fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 30, 2010

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007
I am prepared to offer a very large number of lemoncakes for one of those ARCs...

Edit: Aw poo poo, neither of the guys who posted about them even has a WILDCARDS tag. WTF?

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

Clinton1011 posted:

The Master Maker made them to be his army, after he died they went on killing and multiplying.

Which I see as points in Bayaz's favor of not being as evil as everyone here seems to think him to be. Yeah, he's a megalomaniac and not a great guy, but I never saw him as EVIL. If the Maker made a horde like that, and then Bayaz killed him more cold bloodedly than his version of events says, which the book does seem to imply is what really happened... was that really so bad anyways when the Maker is basically making orcses?

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

can we really trust his statement on the Shanka as well?

Touche.

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

Koryk posted:

Anyone else listen to the audiobooks and been annoyed by the discrepancy between the representations of...

This is why I never listen to fiction as an audiobook. In general, I don't listen to audiobooks at all. But if I do, never fiction. What I hear from the person doing the reading just never meshes with what I have in my head, ever. And God forbid it's a series and the reader changes between books. That just totally sucks.

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007
Oh wow, didn't realize this was out this week already. Welp, time to power read through the last half of Way of Kings. Thanks to Amazon prime, I can get this in 2 days.

Or I'll just get it instantly on my Kindle.

:smug:

But I wish I had a set with the Brit covers. Those rock.

Edit: That's what I get for being smug. Can't get it on Kindle til Feb 7th. Boo.

Khatib fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 26, 2011

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007
I just started it last night. In the very first chapter... someone already swallows sour spit. :( Oh well.

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

Destro posted:

I think that he is actually just making an excuse to make himself feel better by saying that he was made a scapegoat. Finree says that he was drunk with a whore in Sipani, and that it had happened before. He also internally monologues that he would never let himself get weak again like he did in Sipani during one of his running sessions or something.

Gorst Didn't he get drugged by Murcatto's people? I need to reread the trilogy and BSC again I think.

Also I kind of liked how it tied in the trilogy a little more by point out that Nine-fingers rise through the trilogy was mostly because Bayaz was pissed at Bethod, and then that the only reason the Union was at war with the North again was Dow wouldn't bend the knee to Bayaz, and then that now he was setting sights on Murcatto, drawing that into his realm of influence as well. It really put more of the whole Bayaz is the puppet master thing into it. Don't know that his fictional world needed more of that, but it's nice to see he's really sticking with it, as it does all make sense.

I'm with someone who earlier said it'd be awesome if the upcoming trilogy comes from the Southern POV.

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007
I think I'm going to play a NWN2 campaign as a male fighter named Bremer dan Gorst, but switch some data files so I can pick a female voice for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

IRQ posted:

Am I really the only person in the world who hates that guy?

Probably. He's a great actor and a pretty great guy.

quote:

In the early 1980s, Buscemi also worked as a firefighter for four years on FDNY Engine 55.[8] After 9/11, Buscemi returned to Engine 55 and worked alongside other firefighters to sift through the rubble from the World Trade Center.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Buscemi